Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

webfact

well mostly they are staying here illegally or at least staying here against the spirit of the immigration laws

working selling stuff on the internet is still considered working and as many deportees have found out, it is still illegal and despite you advocating it is healthy and defensible , i suspect many of those now on an ever growing black list will disagree with you

i have found that at least amongst my friends that most of us are here because of previous successes, not because of previous failings

we had the forethought to work hard , plan out a financially secure future and thus can enjoy our early retirement in a sunny climate

because of that we have the money to be able do so, not just have the desperate desire and have to do anything to be able to do so

i can boast of no previous failed marriages, no kids, no debts to run away from, no re-start/re-invention required, no ditches to leap over

just a solid game plan to finish work early and live in the Sun

other places were considered, but Pattaya fitted the bill ten years ago as it was a relatively free living society with very few <deleted> to contend with

shame its changed...........

:) I don't want to get in the middle of your pissing contest, but can you document people deported and blacklisted for working from home in Thailand via the internet?

The rest of the posts by both of you are purely subjective. Granted I have only lived in Thailand since 2003 and visited since 1997 but I can't see much of a change in the type of person living in Pattaya during those years. Different nationalities are now present but I see pretty much the same "type" that has been there both as tourists and ex-pats since 1997.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well mostly they are staying here illegally or at least staying here against the spirit of the immigration laws

working selling stuff on the internet is still considered working and as many deportees have found out, it is still illegal and despite you advocating it is healthy and defensible , i suspect many of those now on an ever growing black list will disagree with you

i have found that at least amongst my friends that most of us are here because of previous successes, not because of previous failings

we had the forethought to work hard , plan out a financially secure future and thus can enjoy our early retirement in a sunny climate

because of that we have the money to be able do so, not just have the desperate desire and have to do anything to be able to do so

i can boast of no previous failed marriages, no kids, no debts to run away from, no re-start/re-invention required, no ditches to leap over

other places were considered, but Pattaya fitted the bill ten years ago as it was a relatively free living society with very few <deleted> to contend with

:) I don't want to get in the middle of your pissing contest, but can you document people deported and blacklisted for working from home in Thailand via the internet?

The rest of the posts by both of you are purely subjective. Granted I have only lived in Thailand since 2003 and visited since 1997 but I can't see much of a change in the type of person living in Pattaya during those years. Different nationalities are now present but I see pretty much the same "type" that has been there both as tourists and ex-pats since 1997.

just from recent memory :

search the TV news items for the numerous football shirt sellers that are now on their merry way

the most recent one had a website that was closed and he and his wife were arrested

there were the golf club sellers that were working here and at least one is doing 4 years at her majesty's pleasure in UK

the DVD seller whose biggest line was ''only fools and horses'', he was living the dodgy dream until the BIB showed up

the steroid sellers, the sexual aid sellers were arrested under the pharmaceutical laws

i even saw people arrested in the post office on Soi post office once

huge bag of copy Lacoste shirts all winging there way to addresses in Europe

i have noted many more in the newspapers and on TV over the years

are you saying you haven't ever heard of such a thing?

Edited by timekeeper

I did make it quite clear that I was talking generally and not about you personally.

If what you say about you and your friends is true, then it is of no surprise that you became friends in the first place. However I would suggest that you are the minority among people your age living here.

So you and your friends married women the same age as yourselves as well I assume?

I would also say that it is utter nonsence, to say that most young people are here in violation of immigration law. That is a complete fabrication to suit your argument.

search the TV news items for the numerous football shirt sellers that are now on their merry way

the most recent one had a website that was closed and he and his wife were arrested

there were the golf club sellers that were working here and at least one is doing 4 years at her majesty's pleasure in UK

the DVD seller whose biggest line was ''only fools and horses'', he was living the dodgy dream until the BIB showed up

the steroid sellers, the sexual aid sellers were arrested under the pharmaceutical laws

That is a minute minority compared to the millions of people that flood in to Thailand every year. Hardly a a true representation of the Farang in Thailand!

Anyway, I bet at closer inspection, all those people would be of different ages, not all young.

:) I don't want to get in the middle of your pissing contest,

Why is it just a discussion when you are involved, and a pissing contest when others are??

Two people with different points of view, discussing something, without getting angry, does not a pissing contest make!

I did make it quite clear that I was talking generally and not about you personally.

If what you say about you and your friends is true, then it is of no surprise that you became friends in the first place. However I would suggest that you are the minority among people your age living here.

So you and your friends married women the same age as yourselves as well I assume?

I would also say that it is utter nonsence, to say that most young people are here in violation of immigration law. That is a complete fabrication to suit your argument.

when i first lived here i lived above a popular bar in pattaya in a one bed apartment

most people i came across in that bar environment and many other bars had planned their retirement almost to the letter and 90% were older than me

i think i met a good cross section of folks in that time

so i think you might have been intimating i met my friends by moving in hi so social circles like golf clubs, Lions, expats clubs etc is not true, at least in my case

i am far from being hi-so in fact i lean towards lo-so

i have no idea of my friends wifes ages, i am too polite to ask

i do not however know anyone who is over 50 and is married or involved otherwise to a 20 year old

i am still not married although i often refer to her as the wife

she is my partner of seven years + is 13 years younger than me

its not a big leap in my view

in fact have had bigger differences in age in relationships in UK without being referred to as a pedophile

anyone living here (not just the millions of tourists you quote) under 50 runs the gamut of the ever increasingly difficult visa laws

i know this, i was that soldier previously

i was on a tourist visa for many years and traveled all over these parts on those little stepping out of Thailand trips that i complained about just as bitterly as many still do here on TV

i do know some people that are under 50 and work here illegally

to their credit they are doing so to try to be with a loved one but its still an insecure life with trouble potentially around every corner

there are many jealous farangs who will out workers, many will grass them up for a few pieces of silver

many of these types are the kind of people i am concerned about polluting the general good hearted atmosphere here

i remember a time when there was more camaraderie and less back stabbing between farangs

in my view, it was better then...........

when i first lived here i lived above a popular bar in pattaya in a one bed apartment

most people i came across in that bar environment and many other bars had planned their retirement almost to the letter and 90% were older than me

i think i met a good cross section of folks in that time

so i think you might have been intimating i met my friends by moving in hi so social circles like golf clubs, Lions, expats clubs etc is not true, at least in my case

i am far from being hi-so in fact i lean towards lo-so

i have no idea of my friends wifes ages, i am too polite to ask

i do not however know anyone who is over 50 and is married or involved otherwise to a 20 year old

i am still not married although i often refer to her as the wife

she is my partner of seven years + is 13 years younger than me

its not a big leap in my view

in fact have had bigger differences in age in relationships in UK without being referred to as a pedophile

anyone living here (not just the millions of tourists you quote) under 50 runs the gamut of the ever increasingly difficult visa laws

i know this, i was that soldier previously

i was on a tourist visa for many years and traveled all over these parts on those little stepping out of Thailand trips that i complained about just as bitterly as many still do here on TV

i do know some people that are under 50 and work here illegally

to their credit they are doing so to try to be with a loved one but its still an insecure life with trouble potentially around every corner

there are many jealous farangs who will out workers, many will grass them up for a few pieces of silver

many of these types are the kind of people i am concerned about polluting the general good hearted atmosphere here

i remember a time when there was more camaraderie and less back stabbing between farangs

in my view, it was better then...........

I wasn't implying that you were 'hi-so'. It wasn't a criticism at all. I was sugessting that people who are similarly decent, are more likely to become friends with each other, than they are with scum bags.

I don't think we're really disagreeing on that much. I would agree that things invariably, were better in the past. I think the same could be said for most things and most places. As people get older it's natural to look back in the past with a greater fondness than the present. That, coupled with the fact that society and people in general, seems to be deteriating year by year, helps compound these feelings.

Where we differ however, is that I do not believe this has any more to do with the younger generations, than it does the old. And if I had to pick one, that in general, I believed had less morals and self respect than the other, I'm afraid it would be the latter.

The original post was submitted on April 1. When I read it, I thought about the Cambodia announcement that was made recently and concluded that this was simply somebody's lame idea of an April Fools joke, even though it's consistent with the absurd laws coming from the Thai Government. However, I scanned through the first 3 or 4 pages and found nobody accusing the OP of pulling an April Fools joke.

If it isn't an April Fools joke, it magnifies just how racist, stupid, and xenophobic Thai people are.

I would think that Isaan mothers and fathers of young eligible ladies should be the most upset at this new law if comes into affect. They certainly have the most to lose when so many foreign men are eliminated from contributing to the "sin sod fund" and the "must pay for make sick buffalo better fund". Smarter older foreigners should be celebrating as this racist little law removes all pressure from them to make a relationship legally binding. But it is drilled into Thai student's heads over and over and over again that they are superior in every way to ALL people on the planet, so I guess there's some consistency in making laws to protect young Thai women from such undesirables as foreign men. After all, we all know that Thai husbands treat their Thai wives so well, so laws should be enacted to make sure Thai women get exactly what they deserve -- a typically gentle and caring Thai husband.

The original post was submitted on April 1. When I read it, I thought about the Cambodia announcement that was made recently and concluded that this was simply somebody's lame idea of an April Fools joke, even though it's consistent with the absurd laws coming from the Thai Government. However, I scanned through the first 3 or 4 pages and found nobody accusing the OP of pulling an April Fools joke.

If it isn't an April Fools joke, it magnifies just how racist, stupid, and xenophobic Thai people are.

I would think that Isaan mothers and fathers of young eligible ladies should be the most upset at this new law if comes into affect. They certainly have the most to lose when so many foreign men are eliminated from contributing to the "sin sod fund" and the "must pay for make sick buffalo better fund". Smarter older foreigners should be celebrating as this racist little law removes all pressure from them to make a relationship legally binding. But it is drilled into Thai student's heads over and over and over again that they are superior in every way to ALL people on the planet, so I guess there's some consistency in making laws to protect young Thai women from such undesirables as foreign men. After all, we all know that Thai husbands treat their Thai wives so well, so laws should be enacted to make sure Thai women get exactly what they deserve -- a typically gentle and caring Thai husband.

It's been stated several times and several places that it was an April Fools joke. From some of the posts, I'm not so sure it is the Thais alone who are "racist, stupid, and xenophobic".

The internet was involved in these arrests? The question was specific because I am not aware of arrests and deportation of people for using the internet for work. I am aware of people that have been arrested for working without a workpermit (selling DVD's to police at a pre-arranged meeting place by them answering an advert in a local rag) etc. I am aware of people done up for violating IP laws (selling pirated goods, both domestically and via shipping them overseas. I don't know why someone would be doing 4 years in prison in the UK for violating Thai labor law though :) I am curious about the internet aspects because I know 2 people that are using the internet to run businesses from home (via foreign companies they own) but I do not know of a single case where a daytrader or and SEO guy gas been deported and blacklisted for working from the internet. I wasn't even concerned about the age issue ... which if I remember right the dvd guy was in his 60's and didn't have anything to do with internet sales etc .. he was selling pirated merchandise in Thailand :)

They certainly have the most to lose when so many foreign men are eliminated from contributing to the "sin sod fund" and the "must pay for make sick buffalo better fund".

Did you not get the memo I sent out, about having to put 100 baht in the pot for charity? It's the least you should do for being so mindlessly ignorant!

Do you people not realise by making such comments, all you are doing, is highlighting that in all the time you've spent in Thailand, you haven't managed to spend any time at all with normal Thai people. Very sad indeed. :bah:

It's been stated several times and several places that it was an April Fools joke. From some of the posts, I'm not so sure it is the Thais alone who are "racist, stupid, and xenophobic".

Mod's my I humble request that once this thread reaches 1000 posts we shut it down, as its getting rather sad now....even though on multiple occassions it has been pointed out this was an April fools joke....there are still some very sad individuals who still actually believe its all true....please put these sad pathetic fools out of their misery....:jap:

Mod's my I humble request that once this thread reaches 1000 posts we shut it down, as its getting rather sad now....even though on multiple occassions it has been pointed out this was an April fools joke....there are still some very sad individuals who still actually believe its all true....please put these sad pathetic fools out of their misery....:jap:

They could modify the title -- stating "if you missed it, this was a joke" --- but alas I am afraid that people won't even read that ;)

They could modify the title -- stating "if you missed it, this was a joke" --- but alas I am afraid that people won't even read that ;)

Modified the first post. Hope that helps

Actually I was enjoying it the way it was :) It is a real hoot seeing people get all worked up about something that was obviously a joke AND to see them start on racist rants calling the people of Thailand racists :)

Back to topic.

If they did somehow manage to make a law preventing old foreign guys from marrying young INNOCENT Thai girls (as they are trying to do in Cambodia) the only people they would be helping would be the foreigners. It would save a lot of pain and suffereing so often experienced in the hands of these innocent young Thai girls.

So glad I came here in my 20's. Would hate to have turned up in my 50's and become all bitter about what the young uns are all enjoying in Thailand, regardless of how they manage to stay here and however they make a living. :D

That's an interesting take on the situation. Reading this thread I found it was the young guys that were spewing all the venom at the old guys.

Young guys, old guys we both pay for it. I thought this bothered the young bucks who think they should be getting a free ride because of their looks.

So glad I came here in my 20's. Would hate to have turned up in my 50's and become all bitter about what the young uns are all enjoying in Thailand, regardless of how they manage to stay here and however they make a living. :D

That's an interesting take on the situation. Reading this thread I found it was the young guys that were spewing all the venom at the old guys.

Young guys, old guys we both pay for it. I thought this bothered the young bucks who think they should be getting a free ride because of their looks.

How about this for a take on the situation. When people are young they, behave irresponsibly, which is all part of the growing up experience.

By the time they reach a certain age however, they have grown up and out of certain behaviour, and have developed a normal grown up sense of decency and self respect. At this age, the thought of being seen with a prostitute, especially with one as a girl firend or wife :o , is quite abhorent.

You then have the group of people whos desire to do what feels good, over powers the desire to do what is normal and befitting, of a grown man their age. Shame on them!

How about this for a take on the situation. When people are young they, behave irresponsibly, which is all part of the growing up experience.

By the time they reach a certain age however, they have grown up and out of certain behaviour, and have developed a normal grown up sense of decency and self respect. At this age, the thought of being seen with a prostitute, especially with one as a girl firend or wife :o , is quite abhorent.

You then have the group of people whos desire to do what feels good, over powers the desire to do what is normal and befitting, of a grown man their age. Shame on them!

Your take on things seems wrong...to me...on several levels:

Prostitutes are human beings.

If a young person who acted irresponsibly can grow up and develop a sense of decency and self respect, cannot a prostitute do likewise?

I have no statistics, but I am sure there are prostitutes who have become good wives.

Probably as good as the youngster who 'gave it away' at drunken rave parties?

What is 'a normal sense of decency'? Normal to whom? A priest, a Quaker, a teen raver? a father?

What is 'befitting'? who is the arbiter of the fit?

Yes. Thailand should bring in this law to prohibit older Farangs and other foreigners from marrying very young women .

I have seen some farangs with young wives who could be their grand daughters!.

Laos and Cambodia have enacted these law: why not Thailand.

I think there should be a law against a bald guy marrying a Thai woman with a tattoo - if not they should be forced to remain in a certain area.

"... please put these sad pathetic fools out of their misery.... "...

Ah! So now it's 'euthanasia' for guys over 50,

who can no longer get 'youth in Asia'!

laugh.gif ...... jap.gif

Edited by animatic

Sorry but this is a fake notice or not? 1° april fish? Can you post the real link of the notice? or the law text? tnx

^^ oh dear what more can you say...

jesus wept :wacko::blink:

"The tears of a clown, when there's no one around."