3-Mcpd In Thai Soy Sauce

Travelish

Thank you Travelish for the information as I have also become aware that the Thai soy sauce is very unhealthy and perhaps synthetic. and also that oyster sauce and fish sauce are mostly chemical and sodium. People think Thai food is so healthy but it has fallen prey to the industrialisation of food.

Jennifer Thompson has a healthy living blog and also has a lot to say about Thai soy sauce and other additives

"here in Thailand #635 and also MSG (#621) are in almost every soy sauce product on the market ...

MSG, Ribonucleotides, Disodium Inosinate, and Disodium Guanylate are all flavour enhancers which add a salty, savoury taste to foods.

MSG (E621) is known to cause migraine headaches. Ribonucleotide (E627, E635 or E631) is another salty food additive which can cause a itchy irritable rash, known as the ‘Ribo Rash.’ In my personal experience, I have seen Ribonucleotide (or Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate) cause a sudden rapid heart rate (up to 160 beats per minute) and also trigger anxiety attacks."

http://healthybliss.net/the-truth-in-food-labeling-food-additives-to-avoid-hidden-sources-of-msg/

Also Good Karma online health food store in Thailand carries an organic non-gmo soy sauce too, this one also has no wheat. I have used their services before and found them to be reliable. www.goodkarmathailand.com

Sadly most soy is GMO (genetically modified ).

JEEZ I'm surrounded by them.

Organic :blink:

Produce grown without chemical fertilizers and natural.

TRANSLATED Produce grown by spraying it with human sewage / sh%t to facilitate growth :o

Give me some unnatural nitrogen fertilizer any day thank you. ;)

TRANSLATED Produce grown by spraying it with human sewage / sh%t to facilitate growth :o

I am with you Dunc.

I am 66 and live in Thailand with my Thai wife and son.

As far as I am concerned, thank you to the OP for giving me the news that soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce in Thailand, how ever I am completely unsure why a nice lady called Jennifer Thompson, who just co-incidentally has a healthy food blog, should car about us.

I am more than bored with people who don't know me are trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't wear, eat, drive as it is the best for me.

Actually no it isn't the best for me. What I like is the best for me.

Please keep your unasked for and unwanted advice to yourself.

I really DON'T want to know.

• 3 weeks later...

I am with you Dunc.

I am 66 and live in Thailand with my Thai wife and son.

As far as I am concerned, thank you to the OP for giving me the news that soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce in Thailand, how ever I am completely unsure why a nice lady called Jennifer Thompson, who just co-incidentally has a healthy food blog, should car about us.

I am more than bored with people who don't know me are trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't wear, eat, drive as it is the best for me.

Actually no it isn't the best for me. What I like is the best for me.

Please keep your unasked for and unwanted advice to yourself.

I really DON'T want to know. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

There, fixed it for ya.

No one said Jennifer Thompson gives a toss about you... She was QUOTED here by someone on this board FROM her Blog.

as for Dunce's original post..."TRANSLATED Produce grown by spraying it with human sewage / sh%t to facilitate growth :o "

Um, no. Having human sewage anywhere near the food supply is quite dangerous. All of the granola's would have died off by now if they were eating food treated with human waste. That may be a result you would like, but since it has not happened, it is obvious there must be more than just two alternatives, nitrogen or human waste, for fertilizer.

So knock yourself out, eat what you like, I really don't care if you live to be a hundred or drop dead tomorrow (I won't be at your funeral either way), but I like to know when water mixed with a whole bunch of chemicals (most of dubious quality) is passed off as "food". I know, I'm just strange that way.

Edited by Thaimaishoe

I would rather die a long lingering death than have to work out to that degree just what was in what I was eating. JEEEEZ :huh:

Especially in a bottle of soy sauce. :blink:

If you are not concerned about your health, you should not be in this forum...

This is no plagiarism:

We easily go for less healthier choices, not knowing what is in the products that we buy. Soy sauce is one of those choices, as when we shop in our supermarket, we rather buy soy sauce there than in our health food store.<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">The "commercial" soy sauce has nothing to do with the "traditional" soy sauce from our health food store.<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Most commercial soy sauces contain sugars and also 3-MCPD. 3-MCPD or (3-monochloropropane-1,2-diol or 3-chloro-1,2-propanediol) is an chemical compound which is carcinogenic and has male anti-fertility effects.

It is created in foods by protein hydrolysis by adding hydrochloric acid to speed up the reaction of the (soy) protein with lipids at high temperatures.<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">It has been found far exceeding health standards by in some cases thousand of times in many Chinese and Southeast Asian sauces such as Oyster sauce, Hoisin sauce and Soy sauce, but Korean or Japanese sauces do not utilize hydrochloric acid in production and therefore do not produce 3-MCPD.

This does not means that Korean and Japanese sauces are healthier, it means only that they do not contain 3-MCPD.

I once had the honour to speak with the 85 years old cook of Hirohito, the former emperor of Japan, and he told me that at the imperial court, they only used Kikoman soy sauce, but not the commercial one, which is made in only one day, but a brew only made for the emperor, fermented for more than one year.

Using hydrochloric acid is a far cheaper and faster method but inevitably creates carcinogens, which is why artificial soy sauce can sell for far cheaper than traditionally fermented soy sauce. One good soy sauce available in Thailand is the Sun Chaw Wong soy sauce, made from GMO free ingredients, rich in amino acids, fermented for up to one year. This brand has 3 different soy sauce , one is without sugar.