Galaxy Tab 8.9 And 10.1

Sakeopete

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samsung Announces LTE Versions of Galaxy S II & Galaxy Tab 8.9

Ahead of the IFA trade show, taking place in Berlin from 2 to 7 September 2011, Samsung has announced LTE variants of Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 8.9. The new versions of these devices will have fast wireless data transfer capability, with download speeds up to 100 Mbps.

The Android 2.3-based Galaxy S II LTE will have a humongous 4.5” Super AMOLED screen and an 8 megapixel camera.

The Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE will be one of the most portable tablets around, being 8.6 mm thin and weighing only 455 g. Both devices will feature a 1.5GHz dual core processor.

The price and availability for both devices is still unknown, but we reckon we’ll know more when the IFA kicks off.

samsung_tab_galaxy.jpg

Mashable

Samsung Announces LTE Versions of Galaxy S II & Galaxy Tab 8.9

Ahead of the IFA trade show, taking place in Berlin from 2 to 7 September 2011, Samsung has announced LTE variants of Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 8.9. The new versions of these devices will have fast wireless data transfer capability, with download speeds up to 100 Mbps.

The Android 2.3-based Galaxy S II LTE will have a humongous 4.5” Super AMOLED screen and an 8 megapixel camera.

The Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE will be one of the most portable tablets around, being 8.6 mm thin and weighing only 455 g. Both devices will feature a 1.5GHz dual core processor.

The price and availability for both devices is still unknown, but we reckon we’ll know more when the IFA kicks off.

samsung_tab_galaxy.jpg

Mashable

Drool....

I found one in a big computer shop--the salesman told me that it only supports the ais 3g--and that my truemove 3g sim would not work(i would only get edge and gprs) anyone know how this works? I should wait for a true model??

Most Samsung 3G products are only partially compatible in Thailand, as they support only the standard 900/2100 frequencies. True and DTAC need 850.

Be very careful about that, otherwise you may end up with crappy GPRS/Edge.

Another solution is getting a high-end mobile phone which supports 3G 850/900/2100. There is only a limited selection of suitable phones (mostly iPhone, Nokia)

Then you tether your other mobile gadgets via Wifi to your phone.

But be careful again as many Android devices cannot tether to wifi "adhoc" networks. Best advice is, bring your phone to the shop and try the tethering yourself.

The latter solution is also the cheaper one, as wifi-only devices are cheaper and you need only one 3G plan for your phone and gadgets.

Edited by GreenSnapper

4.5" super AMOLED!!! I'm there as soon as Pattaya gets its 3G up and running!

I think I have seen it a few days ago at Powerbuy.

Screen was bigger than the S2. Impressive!

It must be a great travel device, if you don't want to carry your iPad/Tab or whatever. For a daily-use phone a bit to bulky, IMHO.

4.5" super AMOLED!!! I'm there as soon as Pattaya gets its 3G up and running!

I think I have seen it a few days ago at Powerbuy.

Screen was bigger than the S2. Impressive!

It must be a great travel device, if you don't want to carry your iPad/Tab or whatever. For a daily-use phone a bit to bulky, IMHO.

Yeah...think S2 is like 4.2", but agree, once you get up to these screen sizes, it's tough to decide between a phone it tablet.

Galaxy S2 LT has only just been announced so I honestly doubt you've seen one in Thailand. A friend of mine bought what I thought was an oversized Galaxy S2, in Central. At closer inspection it turned out to be an AT&T-labelled Samsung Infuse, afaik only sold through AT&T. No idea how it ended up here. Specs similar to a Galaxy S but with a 4.5" display - huge. Says he paid 18,000 baht for it.

infuse4G_marquee_bullet1.jpg

Galaxy S2 LT has only just been announced so I honestly doubt you've seen one in Thailand. A friend of mine bought what I thought was an oversized Galaxy S2, in Central. At closer inspection it turned out to be an AT&T-labelled Samsung Infuse, afaik only sold through AT&T. No idea how it ended up here. Specs similar to a Galaxy S but with a 4.5" display - huge. Says he paid 18,000 baht for it.

infuse4G_marquee_bullet1.jpg

Then probably that's what I have seen. It was next to the S2, so I could compare sizes. I liked it a lot.

There's a very interesting 7" Acer tablet just arrived in Fortune - the A100. Android 3.2, dual core processor, micro USB, micro SD, HDMI, looks like a very nice little device. The only downside - wifi only at this stage (but it does have space for a sim slot).

We are getting closer and closer to that killer Android tablet...

Edited by Crushdepth

Also see Galaxy Note, 5.3" Super AMOLED.

Samsung is crushing it.

The Infuse 4G is a single core, 4.5 " Super AMOLED, built for AT&T (850/1900/2100 3G). Never understood this one except that the Captivate (Galaxy S variant) was so successful AT&T need a replacement, maybe this is all Samsung could come up with? AT&T will have an SGS2 variant in a few weeks (shown last week).

Further complicating remote observances in shops are the locally available Samsung Players (4" and 5"), I've seen the 5" here. But these are not phones.

I guess the new Sony Tablets will generate a lot of buzz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRIo5797FAo

Edited by lomatopo

Even closer to the killer tablet, the Galaxy Tab 7.7. That just looks fantastic! Android 3.2, Dual core 1.4 GHz CPU, super AMOLED display, HSPA+ and it only weights 335 g. It is 7.89 mm thick.

The bad news - Samsung is still playing mindless idiot games with the ports (this one has a micro SD card but its 'media transfer only').

Edited by Crushdepth

post-41457-0-48518300-1315153312_thumb.j

samsung galaxy tab 10.1 now available at several stores in phantip plaza

biggest problem for me

battery can only be changed at samsung service center.

given the usable time of a battery in the galaxy s2 that a big problem for me !!!

Things are rapidly changing on the tablet front, with many new products appearing between now and the end of the year. Although the Galaxy 7.7 sounds interesting, Samsung reportedly pulled it from display mid show at that Berlin IFA, along with all mention of it on banners, posters, etc. at their booth. With no explanation.

There's a few write-ups on the Amazon Kindle Tablet, supposed to ship Q4 for a price of $250USD. It will reportedly have some form of 3G/Wispernet (as the existing Kindles do.)

The pricepoint on the Kindle Tablet could have far-reaching impact on the rest of the market. As I see it, something like the Amazon Kindle might not be the "killer" tablet I'd be looking for, but I could buy one to have something, and later enjoy something else the market offers with more features and a lower price (than buying now) as a result of the Amazon. And ultimately retire the Amazon tablet to another family member.

Read CNET and Engadget for more info:

CNET News Link

Engadget News Link

Edited by Sam Drucker

Things are rapidly changing on the tablet front, with many new products appearing between now and the end of the year. Although the Galaxy 7.7 sounds interesting, Samsung reportedly pulled it from display mid show at that Berlin IFA, along with all mention of it on banners, posters, etc. at their booth. With no explanation.

There is a German court injunction which prevents Samsung from "promoting" the Tabs in Germany. IFA was in Berlin.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-04/apple-wins-german-injunction-on-new-galaxy-tab.html

Samsung, Apple’s closest rival in tablet computers, pulled the just-unveiled Galaxy Tab 7.7 out of the IFA consumer- electronics show in Berlin after a Dusseldorf court on Sept. 2 granted Apple’s request to ban sales and marketing of the product

I decided not to wait for the perfect tab. I tried a 10" I-Pad didn't see the point of it TBH. It is hard to hold with one hand so to watch a movie or even surf comfortably you need to prop it up. Might as well use a netbook as it can prop itself up, now I know why they are called coffee table accessories.

One of the guys I met at work had the Galaxy Tab 7" 3G he bought in Malaysia. He let me play with it a bit and I liked the size of it. Easy to hold, surfing was nice as was video, the picture quality is awesome.

Bought a wifi Galaxy tab for 9900 Baht and couldn't be more happy with it. I have read reviews about the old operating system but I don't see anything wrong with it. Every app I have loaded works great and there are thousands of free apps.

What I like is there are so many apps for young and older kids. My 3 & 5 year old love the apps suited for their age like "Kid Mode". There are also tons of coloring and drawing programs suited for the little ones.

Anyways I think I will stick with 7" tabs I really like the portability and ease of holding it (also for my kids to hold).

I hope there are more 7" models coming out in the future.

Where did you buy one for 9900 bht was is it 2nd hand or new I see 1 in shop yesterday for 14800 perhaps the 1 I saw was the newer model anyone know how many versions are available of these sanding 7 " tablets

Which 3G service provider are you (planning on) using? I think the local SGT's have 900/2100 Mhz 3G, so maybe you're going with AIS? I have to say, that I am starting to see some of the issues others have reported re: AIS 3G performance. I will follow-up with more experiecnes in the AIS 3G thread.

I am still considering a SGT 10.1, but figure I'll just go with a WiFi version as I can set up a Mobile AP with my Android phone and share the 3G WAN via WiFi to the SGT (battery issues aside). I would probably never go anywhere without the phone, so just one SIM to manage and flexibility to 850 Mhz with DTAC or Truemove H.

hi guys,

i just bought a Samsung Tab 10.1/wifi/3G 16gb in Bangkok for only 14k :) fully boxed and brand

new!

RRP in Powerbuy is 18,900 bt for this model.

theres another 40 of em on there way over from the UK....

where???? contact details please

Which 3G service provider are you (planning on) using? I think the local SGT's have 900/2100 Mhz 3G, so maybe you're going with AIS? I have to say, that I am starting to see some of the issues others have reported re: AIS 3G performance. I will follow-up with more experiecnes in the AIS 3G thread.

I am still considering a SGT 10.1, but figure I'll just go with a WiFi version as I can set up a Mobile AP with my Android phone and share the 3G WAN via WiFi to the SGT (battery issues aside). I would probably never go anywhere without the phone, so just one SIM to manage and flexibility to 850 Mhz with DTAC or Truemove H.

I'm using DTAC, I got a second sim (restricted to data only, which is fine since the 10.1 doesn't do phone calls). The speed is quite good, even on EDGE. Quite happy with it, but the 3G coverage is far from ubiquitous.

OK good to know. I just checked the specs on thaimobilecenter and it seems like all of the SGT10.1 3G units here (16/32/64 GB) have quad-band 3G!

http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/spec/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10-1_3G_16GB.asp

WCDMA / HSDPA Quad Band (850/900/1900/2100 MHz)

IME, where DTAC has 3G coverage it is excellent but they do have a limited roll-out of ~ 600 base-stations in the metro-Bangkok area. Hopefully they be allwoed to expand this coverage soon, but they've been stalled since 2008, and CAT would like to stall them as long as possible in order to allow Truemove H to build market share with one less competitor.

Truemove H does have much better coverage, 1,700 base-stations in metro-Bangkok alone, and they have data-only plans, which also include WiFi (~ 30,000 hotspots, aiming for 100,000). DTAC doesn't seem to have a WiFi partner/strategy?

• 1 month later...

went over to the samsung shop to purchase a 10.1 and saw that the 8.9 was in stock...the sales guy said it just came out a couple days ago. i ended up buying the 16gb white 8.9 wifi+3g. they had the 850mhz model and the 900mhz model. both going for 17900 baht each. he also said that there will be a limited edition one coming out next week with a black rubberized back..

went over to the samsung shop to purchase a 10.1 and saw that the 8.9 was in stock...the sales guy said it just came out a couple days ago. i ended up buying the 16gb white 8.9 wifi+3g. they had the 850mhz model and the 900mhz model. both going for 17900 baht each. he also said that there will be a limited edition one coming out next week with a black rubberized back..

Anyone seen the black 10.1 yet? Would like to get my hands on one of those somewhere in the Pattaya/Rayong area...

Cheers!

/Lengis

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone seen the black 10.1 yet? Would like to get my hands on one of those somewhere in the Pattaya/Rayong area...

Cheers!

/Lengis

Just about all the shops on the 3rd floor at Central Mall in Pattaya had the 10.1 in stock. Around 18,900 THB for the 16GB with Wifi. Some shops had UK models and other had HK models.