So Were You Caught Out By Thaivisa April Fools Prank?

george

It sure did get a lot of people stirred up, though.

Virtually anything that happens in Thailand, real or imagined, stirs up many of the people who visit this board. Even if the topic is totally innocuous, the brigade of Thai bashers, the perpetually indignant and the TIT crowd remain armed and loquacious 24/7. Nothing that happens in Thailand meets their approval and everything falls way short of the simply splendid existence they would enjoy if only they were back in FarangUtopia ... or Ecuador or Cambodia or just about anyplace other than where they are now.

All of which begs an obvious question, but if it were stated it would just provoke more indignation.

The fact that so many foreigners took this news seriously ( myself included) says enough about the' madness threshold' they have to cope with daily here in Thailand....

Or it could in fact say more than enough about the "White Man's Burden" syndrome that some farang seem to go through life inflicting on all about them.

Edited by Suradit

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason so many people responded to this is because it is not beyond the realm of possibilities. Highly believable actually. That is the ugly truth in the land of smiles.

No, the reason so many people responded is that they'd like to believe it was true, as they look for any excuse to bash Thailand and proclaim their Western superiority. The irony is that all of the posters on that thread who belittle the intelligence of the Thai people in general, and their government in particular, themselves lack the intelligence to recognise a joke post. And, judging by its continuing popularity, are unable / refuse to be educated.

+1000

Very, very well put.

Paranoia based on perceptions developed from the bar stool rumour, rather than any direct experience of how things actually work.

I posted

"Not fooled" minutes after the thread was started.

The post miraculously vanished.

Hmmmmmm.

I did too, as did quite a few others.

I found the repeated deletes in poor taste.

So let me get this straight. You're upset, because your desperate attempts to tell the world how smart you are, and that you new it was a joke, were deleted, so the joke could continue?

You're so desperate for people to know, that you're still posting about it!

This whole thread is full of people desperate to tell us how they weren't fooled. Are peoples lives really that lacking in success that this is something to be proud of and be so desperate to share?

I have no problem admitting I bit straight away, turned around and told the wife and she was happy to believe it as well.

I'm happy for all of you out there who are less gullible than me, but really, is it something to be so desperate to boast about?

The reason so many people responded to this is because it is not beyond the realm of possibilities. Highly believable actually. That is the ugly truth in the land of smiles.

No, the reason so many people responded is that they'd like to believe it was true, as they look for any excuse to bash Thailand and proclaim their Western superiority. The irony is that all of the posters on that thread who belittle the intelligence of the Thai people in general, and their government in particular, themselves lack the intelligence to recognise a joke post. And, judging by its continuing popularity, are unable / refuse to be educated.

+1000

Very, very well put.

Paranoia based on perceptions developed from the bar stool rumour, rather than any direct experience of how things actually work.

A large amount of people also responded, because of their disdain of Farang and their loathsome behaviour, and not with any desire to bash Thailand or Thais.

I thought it was freaking hilarious. Good one.

I think that some of the people who profess this to be in bad taste are just upset that they turned out to be more gullible than others. And as they can't be mad at themselves, now, can they, so they push that anger on the forum.

It was rather eye-opening, though, to read some of the frankly racist drivel being posted by some posters.

A good April Fools Day prank has to be somewhat believable but only in retrospect is proven to be ridiculous. This one fit the bill.

My hat's off to the folks at ThaiVisa for such a great prank!

(As far as the link goes, I've gotta love the gorilla with iPads story!)

Yeah, about as funny as a rubber crutch in a polio ward. It was funny for anyone without a concern. If you had just divorced your wife after a considerable separation so that you could remarry someone you really love, like someone I do know, you were sweating the 21 day waiting period / embassy appointment / turnaround time for legalization, and the law takes effect in 30 days, NO, it would not be funny. Since Cambodia passed the same recently, and sanity in government cannot be assumed, it would be believable enough to cause some people serious anxiety. I hate to voice my disapproval, but practical jokes are never a good idea, funny maybe, but sometimes they have unexpected results, and I have NOTHING but undying love for both Thailand and my Thai wife, no desire to take aim. But I can take a joke, too, I'll let it go this time. Okay, carry on, men.

Edited by cusanus

If you knew right away it was a hoax, then I would guess that either you haven't been in Thailand that long or don't pay much attention to government pronouncements. If there was a give away, it might be that Thailand would be copying Cambodia, which given the current political climate, is somewhat unlikely. But you never know in "Amazing Thailand" do you?

I thought it was freaking hilarious. Good one.

I think that some of the people who profess this to be in bad taste are just upset that they turned out to be more gullible than others. And as they can't be mad at themselves, now, can they, so they push that anger on the forum.

It was rather eye-opening, though, to read some of the frankly racist drivel being posted by some posters.

A good April Fools Day prank has to be somewhat believable but only in retrospect is proven to be ridiculous. This one fit the bill.

My hat's off to the folks at ThaiVisa for such a great prank!

(As far as the link goes, I've gotta love the gorilla with iPads story!)

Yeah, about as funny as a rubber crutch in a polio ward. It was funny for anyone without a concern. If you had just divorced your wife after a considerable separation so that you could remarry someone you really love, like someone I do know, you were sweating the 21 day waiting period / embassy appointment / turnaround time for legalization, and the law takes effect in 30 days, NO, it would not be funny. Since Cambodia passed the same recently, and sanity in government cannot be assumed, it would be believable enough to cause some people serious anxiety. I hate to voice my disapproval, but practical jokes are never a good idea, funny maybe, but sometimes they have unexpected results, and I have NOTHING but undying love for both Thailand and my Thai wife, no desire to take aim. But I can take a joke, too, I'll let it go this time. Okay, carry on, men.

Thai law doesn't have a 21 day waiting period, it is actually much longer. But uppon proof of not being pregnant from a doctor there is no waiting period at all.

[

crying.gif

Certainly showed who has a sense of humour. Plenty of sanctimony and bitterness to go around too.

I don't know what was funnier, those who are still worked up 24hrs later, or those still calling us on it after 100s of others. :lol:

Funny? So you think it was funny? And now you make nnuendo and derogatory comments towards your readers? lamentable

A joke? OK. But the cambodia news article was true and all over the internet one or two weeks ago. Shame on the whoever started the Thai rumor. Presumably it was approved by a Thai visa website officail or they just missed it

It has been rumored that Thaivisa started is as an April Fools joke.

Certainly showed who has a sense of humour. Plenty of sanctimony and bitterness to go around too.

I don't know what was funnier, those who are still worked up 24hrs later, or those still calling us on it after 100s of others. :lol:

Funny? So you think it was funny? And now you make nnuendo and derogatory comments towards your readers? lamentable

cdnvic's post was made of broad cloth, yet you seem to suggest it was tailor made for you. laugh.gif

Althouhg i knew it was an April fools joke and repsonded as such. ONe can think it could happne as it is implimneted in Cambodia.

ONlY problem is where would all the essan girls get the money for new buffalo's and homes if it ws true???

it was damned funny to see so many self righteous, sanctimonious, self opinionated TV members proven to be out and out morons to their peers

that was so much funnier than the joke itself

congrats to George and TV for ''outing'' them

you know who you are...........

wow, you bad rascals. What timing. On top of your news item, the Canadian government announced Canadian men must wait 5 years after divorcing an international wife before bringing in a second international wife to Canada.

I told my Thai girlfriend that this was true. Now I will say it is 1/2 true. She will ask me l if I am sure. I will say no :whistling:

My personal opinion is that anyone should have a post-it note on their calender reminding them it is the 1st of April and to look out for April Fool's jokes. :whistling:

after this hugely successful joke i would recommend some amendments to ThaiVisa hierarchy

under a persons registered user name it states a number of different categories of member that appears to be based on the number of posts the person has made

these can be newbie, advanced, admin, members and others

the one that concerns me is the term ADVANCED

this would seem to indicate some higher form of intelligence which after the April Fools ''outing'' would certainly appear not to be the case amongst many of the members here

can it be changed to something more suitable???

For the record, I'm waaaaaaay under 50 but did happen to get the memo in my inbox and figured Thailand must be following suit with Cambodia for once.

1. I get enough stupid freakin pranks from every other moron who actually takes time out of their day to mess with people on April 1st.

2. Doesn't matter what day it is, deliberately putting people in a false state of emotion is fcuked up.

3. You (ThaiVisa) is supposed to be a reputable news agency, KNOW YOUR PLACE.

That is all jap.gif

My personal opinion is that anyone should have a post-it note on their calender reminding them it is the 1st of April and to look out for April Fool's jokes. :whistling:

I look forward to the annual April Fool's post on TVF! This year was better than most in that if they read the OP they would have seen not only the date, but the dates mentioned in the OP in regards to the timeline for the faux law :)

All computers should have pop up windows on April 1 to remind people not to beware.

I call it the Kathoey syndrome. They just grab something on first glance only to discover once they lovingly unwrap the package at home it is something else, and usually possessing a size factor that further humiliates them ........

I did not know that straight people ar so stupid (just joking).

Regarding the April fools joke the fact that among others, my post which clearly warned of this nonsense, has been deleted by a moderator within minutes shows some lack of fairness. Does Thai Visa still deserve our contributions? Without us posters they are dead.

I call it the Kathoey syndrome. They just grab something on first glance only to discover once they lovingly unwrap the package at home it is something else, and usually possessing a size factor that further humiliates them ........

I did not know that straight people ar so stupid (just joking).

Regarding the April fools joke the fact that among others, my post which clearly warned of this nonsense, has been deleted by a moderator within minutes shows some lack of fairness. Does Thai Visa still deserve our contributions? Without us posters they are dead.

That would be a question only you can answer! Obviously TVF was, as in previous years, deleting the posts of people that wanted to spoil the joke before it had time to run its course. It appears that a sense of humor, at least one day out of the year, is almost mandatory to be a poster here. If you don't have one then you may find it difficult to post :)

That would be a question only you can answer! Obviously TVF was, as in previous years, deleting the posts of people that wanted to spoil the joke before it had time to run its course. It appears that a sense of humor, at least one day out of the year, is almost mandatory to be a poster here. If you don't have one then you may find it difficult to post :)

Fair enough, but I think part of the joke would also be that some more alert and less concerned people would be able to dismantle it. I felt sorry for all these straight males over 50...... Joke: yes, distress people: no.

And for all those males who panicked: Now you know how it feels being gay in the so called LOS where our community is tolerated, but looked down and without specific legal protection.

Edited by Phil Conners
Fixing quote.

Go back to the OP and reread it (the joke OP that is) with an open mind and read critically (thinking). Look at the dates (not April1 which is in itself a big enough clue) but when the proposed law was to be reviewed and when it was going to go into effect. Then glance at the names etc .....

People that didn't READ the post got upset, and perhaps a few people that are not native English speakers, everyone else caught the joke. Many people skim posts and come up with a reply without even reading what was written. Those are the people crying now :)

I was one of those who didn't get that it was an April fools joke, but I have to say that to those who freaked out over the news,

If you are not prepaired to deal with unpredictibility than perhaps you shouldn't be considering marrage to a Thai woman and living in Thailand.

I think that the retirement visa is the best way to stay here anyway, seems to be less hassle. If you can't come up with another 400,000 for the retirement visa than maybe you shouldn't be thinking about marrage anyway.

My marrage took place in the US and we had a Thai wedding here but have never registered it in Thailand. I don't see any advantage to it.

The visa process to stay in Thailand is infinitely easier than the process to bring your TW to the US. The income requirement for a US visa is much more and your on the hook for 10 years weather she stays with you or not. Once she has the provisional green card she can divorce you and continue to stay in the US and you are still financially responsable for her. If she recieves any government assistance in that 10 year period than you have to repay the government.

I personally think that it is irresponsable to marry a Thai woman without the means to support her, especially if your planning chldren.