So Were You Caught Out By Thaivisa April Fools Prank?

george

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People hardly need more to get worked up about without fake news to add to the already incendiary nature of discussions here on Thaivisa.com; I do not exclude myself.

There is also the issue that really nothing is too amazing or ridiculous to come up in this place. It leaves no litmus test to tell fact from fiction.

It may be bit irresponsible as well, since quite a few people may have actually based important life decisions on this piece of "news."

And finally, it wasn't really that funny.

BTW, I am considerably younger than 50 and am philosophically opposed to marriage.

Edited by TimeBandit2

Certainly showed who has a sense of humour. Plenty of sanctimony and bitterness to go around too.

I don't know what was funnier, those who are still worked up 24hrs later, or those still calling us on it after 100s of others. :lol:

I was caught off guard for a second, but as I looked at it, it became obvious it was a bad joke.

It sure did get a lot of people stirred up, though.

....And it still hasn`t run out of steam yet! Unbelieveable.....

Certainly showed who has a sense of humour. Plenty of sanctimony and bitterness to go around too.

I don't know what was funnier, those who are still worked up 24hrs later, or those still calling us on it after 100s of others. :lol:

Suthep has been reading the other thread under his alias, and has seen the response from expats. So now he has decided that although it started as a joke, it is actually not such a bad idea and will form a committee to study the feasibility of enacting just such a law.

I did wonder how it would affect people, but I tend to adopt the attitude that I'll deal with whatever arises, as I always have. So didn't get worked up about it.

Sadly the article exposed some people out there with a pretty poor view of the Thai goverment and Thailand.

Not to mention the particularly large numbers of 'old hands' here that got quite worked up about it! This one beat the shower rationing April fool's joke by a large margin! I noted quite a few posts blaming "the elite" for the fictitious law and that REALLY made me smile :)

I thought it was freaking hilarious. Good one.

I think that some of the people who profess this to be in bad taste are just upset that they turned out to be more gullible than others. And as they can't be mad at themselves, now, can they, so they push that anger on the forum.

It was rather eye-opening, though, to read some of the frankly racist drivel being posted by some posters.

A good April Fools Day prank has to be somewhat believable but only in retrospect is proven to be ridiculous. This one fit the bill.

My hat's off to the folks at ThaiVisa for such a great prank!

(As far as the link goes, I've gotta love the gorilla with iPads story!)

i had read somewhere that Laos were in deed going to bring in such a law, the one prank was ok and is done every year, but every forum i went into had one going, the Samui one not suprisingly had more than 1. still have to have something to amuse them down there at the moment.

yes i was caught out buy this one as it was something we stopped doing when we left school and that was a long time ago.

Edited by NALAK

Not to mention the particularly large numbers of 'old hands' here that got quite worked up about it! This one beat the shower rationing April fool's joke by a large margin! I noted quite a few posts blaming "the elite" for the fictitious law and that REALLY made me smile :)

Yes, certainly did beat shower rationing.

Part of the joy of a great practical joke is it has to be based on something

a ) Plausible in the context.

b ) A connextion to reality; how ever absurd.

c ) A real effect possible on many lives.

In this case the often announce idiocies we regularly see here,

Tthe Cambodian law just announced.

And the number of 50 something guys with younger Thai ladies.

Younger of course can be 49 and below.

So yes, you got me for around 45 seconds,

but it was a hoot while it lasted.

35 pages and 35 hours and some STILL are going down that path,

an even BIGGER hoot!

It had all the elements

Edited by animatic

Sadly, I gave it a pass, because the headline gave it away. Ever notice on threads like that, alot of people don't even read the posts, they just fire away. I call it the Kathoey syndrome. They just grab something on first glance only to discover once they lovingly unwrap the package at home it is something else, and usually possessing a size factor that further humiliates them ........

And the post beneath this one is brilliant. additional reporting by bloke in barlaugh.gif

ahh, if only more people in TVF could laugh a bit there'd be less constipation.

Edited by geriatrickid

THAIVISA AGRRES TO PAY MEMBERS' WEDDING COSTS AFTER BACKLASH OVER APRIL FOOLS 'JOKE'

[bANGKOK]-- (REUTERS)

by S.O. Payeupe

ThaiVisa, a popular web board in Thailand, has agreed to pay for the weddings and Sinsod of all members for their April Fools that backfired.

ThaiVisa, long known for its reputation for brittle moderation, jumped on the April Fools bandwagon to inform members that Thailand would no longer allow marriages of old 'farang', white men, with the local Thai women. This ensured a topic needing considerable moderation.

Despite receiving a mention in The Daily Mail, ThaiVisa has recognised that April Fools jokes just are not funny anymore since everybody is doing them. Even The Bangkok Post did an article about Justin Bieber moving to Thailand to marry a Thai girl, for God's sake.

The ThaiVisa offer has a maximum limit of 15 million baht for Sinsod and 5 million for wedding costs. It is retroactive and applies to all marriages dating to 1945.

"It is the least we could do. We feel like total w**kers," said George to a Reuters reporter. "We've lost the respect of all our members, many of them are just not that bright," said George, the editor.

ThaiVisa members have formed an informal body to consider action against ThaiVisa. A spokesman was not available, but a source said buffaloes and a toilet gun have been positioned at Asoke intersection, believed to be the location of George's apartment.

(additional reporting by bloke in bar)

---END---

THAIVISA AGRRES TO PAY MEMBERS' WEDDING COSTS AFTER BACKLASH OVER APRIL FOOLS 'JOKE'

[bANGKOK]-- (REUTERS)

by S.O. Payeupe

ThaiVisa, a popular web board in Thailand, has agreed to pay for the weddings and Sinsod of all members for their April Fools that backfired.

ThaiVisa, long known for its reputation for brittle moderation, jumped on the April Fools bandwagon to inform members that Thailand would no longer allow marriages of old 'farang', white men, with the local Thai women. This ensured a topic needing considerable moderation.

Despite receiving a mention in The Daily Mail, ThaiVisa has recognised that April Fools jokes just are not funny anymore since everybody is doing them. Even The Bangkok Post did an article about Justin Bieber moving to Thailand to marry a Thai girl, for God's sake.

The ThaiVisa offer has a maximum limit of 15 million baht for Sinsod and 5 million for wedding costs. It is retroactive and applies to all marriages dating to 1945.

"It is the least we could do. We feel like total w**kers," said George to a Reuters reporter. "We've lost the respect of all our members, many of them are just not that bright," said George, the editor.

ThaiVisa members have formed an informal body to consider action against ThaiVisa. A spokesman was not available, but a source said buffaloes and a toilet gun have been positioned at Asoke intersection, believed to be the location of George's apartment.

---END---

laugh.gif ...... jap.gif ........ clap2.gif ........... intheclub.gif

Edited by animatic

[bANGKOK]-- (REUTERS)

by S.O. Payeupe

---END---

excellent

and just posted now

I was about 51 when I met a lady named "A" on Soi Cowboy. She was nineteen. I enticed her into coming to live with me. A few years later we were married. She became pregnant almost immediately and we had a son

Suthep has been reading the other thread under his alias, and has seen the response from expats. So now he has decided that although it started as a joke, it is actually not such a bad idea and will form a committee to study the feasibility of enacting just such a law.

wink.gif

Was a pretty good joke, lucky I saw it right away.... But what the thread really revealed is the lack of belief of many TV posters that the government can actually govern. When the government puts out wacky statements virtually every day, it would be difficult to distinguish a joke thrown into the daily mix. For next year on April 1, post that the government is tired of wealthy farangs stealing away the cream of Thai females away from poor hard working Thai men. Therefore all farangs with a net worth exceeding 2 million baht will be deported... :lol:

We I saw it and admit I kinda fell for it but wasn't interested enough to reply. Firstly I'm over 50 so it's too late to worry about such rules. Secondly, and more importantly, I'm not planning to get married to a Cambodian girl at the moment.

But it says something about the state of the world, and maybe ourselves, that we could give credence to such a story. A case of "if it's on the internet it must be true". It also says a lot about the state of S. E. Asian governments that we could even half believe that they would consider such a measure. Certainly in the twenty years I have been resident in this part of the world I have seen far worse half baked stuff fall from the mouths of politicians.

Good one anyway. :thumbsup::lol:

Just divorced two weeks ago x-wife who I married @1/3 my age - joke/comments touched nerves so I posted but early picked up on ever increasing page additions -astonished at the jerks (and ATMs) out there and opinions posted - I got 6 out 8 years - some of happiest of my life bit like1st time around 40 years ago - think 7 year itch gets scratched no matter age difference