Translation Service (Eng -> Thai).

seefah

Can someone recommend a translation service who are open today?

I recall some time ago someone mentioning a good one between Beach and Second Road, but can't find the post. Doesn't need to be that one though.

I agree also, that computer translations aren't always 100% correct. Would be great if they were.

Fortunately the urgency of getting a document translated has gone, although I will still need to get it translated of course, but as its Monday tomorrow, every translation service should be open.

Cheers

So what does it translate IMperfect English into?

I would never trust a computer to translate anything

that was important.

Many Visa Agency's offer translation services..just walk around.

Imperfect English? MS Word has a thing called "spelling and grammar" check so why would it be imperfect? I used it for legal documents and my lawyer said it was perfect. The words that even Thailanguage has no Thai word it actually uses the English word as a real Thai would have to do. Also it translates not only Eng to Thai but any language to any other language. try it out with a simple story and have a Thai read it and tell you what they think.

So what does it translate IMperfect English into?

I would never trust a computer to translate anything

that was important.

Many Visa Agency's offer translation services..just walk around.

Imperfect English? MS Word has a thing called "spelling and grammar" check so why would it be imperfect? I used it for legal documents and my lawyer said it was perfect. The words that even Thailanguage has no Thai word it actually uses the English word as a real Thai would have to do. Also it translates not only Eng to Thai but any language to any other language. try it out with a simple story and have a Thai read it and tell you what they think.

The spelling and grammar checks in Word works for English, but not Thai. Thais often won't tell you it doesn't make sense. A better test is to translate the English into Thai, then translate the Thai back into English. You will often find that it is not so perfect. Translation is an art that a machine is not yet capable of doing. But you can believe what you want to believe.;)

One other thing, Thais generally don't read English phonetics very well, so the English word is useless, you often need a phonetic transliteration in Thai. For example, there is no Thai word for 'ball' as is 'football'. Thais quite often pronounce it as 'ban'.as in 'footban'.

BTW, Word uses Microsoft's Bing translation service. Bing translations generally are not as good as Google translations for English/Thai.

I would have to agree with BugJackBaron, I would never trust a computer to translate anything that was important. :thumbsup:

Edited by BB1950

also what do you meN no Thai word for ball? I read write and speak Thai and the word for ball is 2. ลูกบอล luukF baawnM a ball. that comes from www.Thai-language.com

Edited by Yenoormit