Fast Internet In Chiang Mai

nikster

Does anyone have the top end package from either 3bb or True in Chiang Mai. If so how are they - worth it?

It looks like I can get neither. The lady at the 3bb shop explained they have 20mb only in Bangkok. But I think she just wanted to simplify it for me and maybe it's only my neiborhood DSLAM that doesn't support VDSL / 20 mbit.

True also told me I am too far out, the house is 6km from Nimman road on canal road. Only 3bb or TOT in the moo baan.

I am now trying 3bb premier, looks like the best I can get. The thing is I was in bangok recently and internet is notably faster there. Lag seems go be much lower, websites load instantly instead of the long thinking pause I have gotten used to up here in the country. Trying to figure out whether the faster connections True cable 100mb or 3bb 20 mb solve this issue. Might rent an office downtown.

I have the 12Mbs package through 3BB at one location and testing the 10Mbs cable through True at another location. Both are very fast download, True has a noticeably faster upload, although both are sold as 1Mbs Up. Next step will be to upgrade the 3BB to true 30MBs as its about the same price, but offers 3Mbs upload.

I'm lucky in that both locations are fairly close to the company hardware.

As far as your premier package through 3BB, it may be better financially, up move to a Pro package with a higher Up/down rate. I believe the 16Mbs and 20Mbs Pro packages are cheaper than the premiere package. I've never had a problem with international sites, or had speeds under 6Mbs.

I'm surprised that the Nimman area doesn't have the capability for 20Mbs. Maybe try out True's cable packages.

Well read again, I am not at Nimman, I am 6km from it - the DSLAM here is in the moo baan.

I can't get 16Mbit or 20Mbit from 3BB - max. is 12. I have had 12 before and it was pretty crappy. Of course, meanwhile, it might be good again - anecdotal evidence suggests so.

Anyway let me know how it goes with the 30MB (never seen that promotion btw, I think the max. they offer is 20).

I was going to try 20Mbit / normal first but I can't get it, so I went with Premier.

Ya, I tend to read it all, it just doesn't sink in all the time. Out by canal rd may be tough. True is starting to offer the cable(co-ax) service in town, but I doubt it'll be out your way for a while.

I think if the 6Mbs isnt working well, i.e. not getting the full 6mbs, it may be a waste of money to go any higher. If you're looking for better international coverage by switching from a working 6Mbs premiere to a 12, 16, 20mbs pro, then it may be a money saver.

good luck

Well read again, I am not at Nimman, I am 6km from it - the DSLAM here is in the moo baan.

I can't get 16Mbit or 20Mbit from 3BB - max. is 12. I have had 12 before and it was pretty crappy. Of course, meanwhile, it might be good again - anecdotal evidence suggests so.

Anyway let me know how it goes with the 30MB (never seen that promotion btw, I think the max. they offer is 20).

I was going to try 20Mbit / normal first but I can't get it, so I went with Premier.

I have TRUE 20 MB and it flies. Very, very fast. I can watch sport in HD streaming perfectly :)

Re TRUE's 100 MB option, I asked them and it's basically only for internet cafes etc. It's way too fast for single use and costs almost 5000 baht a month. If you can afford it though and 'really' want extreme speed, it's there if you ask them.

Yuu_CM,

What kind of real upload speeds do you get? Are they actually 2Mbs up? more? less? Local/international?

I have TRUE 20 MB and it flies. Very, very fast. I can watch sport in HD streaming perfectly :)

Re TRUE's 100 MB option, I asked them and it's basically only for internet cafes etc. It's way too fast for single use and costs almost 5000 baht a month. If you can afford it though and 'really' want extreme speed, it's there if you ask them.

I also live far from the junction box [4.5k] and tried with ttt/bbb [or what ever they call themselves this week] the higher speeds.....paid for 10mg, but barely 1 on a good day....lotsa total drop outs then finally after being with them for 8 yrs, they just cut our service without notice. That was the last straw and forced us to hook up with TOT, which I wish that I had done years before, as now I am finally getting my money's worth.....consistancy and speed are 4x TTT and cost is less than half.

FWIW.....a technician once told me that the further you are away from the box, the lower your speeds are and the more ups and downs.

If you read back on this forum and the internet forum, you will find nothing but complaints on TTT/BBB.....

I've had 3BB for over a year now and its really good. I get the full advertised bandwidth and always up. the only reason I am considering a change to True right now is because of the ultra high speeds and lower prices True can offer through its cable internet.

I currently pay about 1500b/month for 3BB 12Mbs/1Mbs service. True offers 30Mbs/3Mbs for 1700B/.month.

Almost 3 times the speed for about the same price....

I have had 3BB Premier for well over a year. No complaints at all.

Is there a way to combine the bandwidth from two providers?

Example - Buy two mid speed services from both 3bb 6GB and & True 6GB to give you 12GB?

This would also give you an advantage if one provider was slow or down?

Second question - Is there a ADSL and 3G Router? - I would like to add True 3G Cell Data backup to my present 3bb service?

Edited by sfokevin

TOT works for me

That's why the title is "fast Internet in CM".

TOT works for personal use, but it's not fast. I have 8Mbit TOT. More or less OK, but really not good enough.

@sfokevin: That's what I tried to do - I have 3BB 8Mbit and TOT 8Mbit and was going to have a load balancing router with 2 WAN ports. It's more equipment but it should work. The problem is that it doesn't work in my house; the moo baan has 2 phone lines going to my house, and I am not allowed to change the wiring or install new lines. The existing lines interfere with each other so when I turn on both modems I get very bad signal/noise on both lines, rendering both unusable. So in short - it's not working for me. If you get TOT / 3BB to put in separate lines, it should work very well, although you will still get the high lag that both consumer lines seem to have.

Steve, I just tested it now.

See results:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 19461 kbps (2432.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2026 kbps (253.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 17 ms

Monday, April 04, 2011 10:11:01 AM

Yuu_CM,

What kind of real upload speeds do you get? Are they actually 2Mbs up? more? less? Local/international?

@Yuu_CM - unfortunately, everyone's cheating on the speed tests these days so that doesn't mean anything, really. It may mean that's your speed to the BKK server, if you're lucky. But at 17ms lag, even that is unlikely.

Try downloading a large file from somewhere, and check what speed you get for single download speed test.

I've had 3BB for over a year now and its really good. I get the full advertised bandwidth and always up. the only reason I am considering a change to True right now is because of the ultra high speeds and lower prices True can offer through its cable internet.

I currently pay about 1500b/month for 3BB 12Mbs/1Mbs service. True offers 30Mbs/3Mbs for 1700B/.month.

Almost 3 times the speed for about the same price....

I have had 3BB Premier for well over a year. No complaints at all.

Can you please advise which area of CM you are located.

I need to start an internet service for my new house in the Urbana Village, Don Jan area, we have mixed reports about the 3BB service for this area, one neighbor says it's excellent, the neighbor on the other side says it's worthless.

Any overall comments re internet services in regard to this area of CM would be very much appreciated.

Also, any comments on new services / upgrade of services etc., for cable TV services in this area, much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nikster

I am not an internet guru, so I can only keep my findings basic.

In simple terms, I can watch live sport in HD streaming perfectly (I have my PC connected to a 46 inch tv). I can also watch all TV shows streaming perfectly.

I use it also for Xbox LIVE and am able to dowmload 1 to 2 gigabyte game demos very quickly.

That's my experience with it so far. For me, it appears very fast :)

Nikster

I am not an internet guru, so I can only keep my findings basic.

In simple terms, I can watch live sport in HD streaming perfectly (I have my PC connected to a 46 inch tv). I can also watch all TV shows streaming perfectly.

I use it also for Xbox LIVE and am able to dowmload 1 to 2 gigabyte game demos very quickly.

That's my experience with it so far. For me, it appears very fast :)

=> Yeah this is very fast, indeed. HD streaming need serious bandwidth, and continuous bandwidth.

Where are you located? I am going to look for an office downtown or near nimman, just a small room would do.

Edited by nikster

I am in the city area. I think I made it into TRUE's cabled "zone" by about three sois or something, after that it wasn't available.

The good thing with them is that you can ask for their 20MB plan and see if it suits you. If you want more, you just go and see them aand ask them to up it to 30mb. You can increase at any time. (If you get 30 and then want to go back to 20, you have to wait six months.)

I started with 20 and am perfectly happy with it and have stuck with it as a result :)

• 2 months later...

They advertise their cable internet as up to 100Mbs/down and 10Mbs/up

The speeds and packages everyone is posting is for international package or local sites only?

100Mbs is nuts. If that is for international speeds, I'd pack up the truck and move to CM tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...