Blah, Why Is Everything Transient, Im 'O'

Thanks MCD for your further clarification at #58 since -- based upon your post -- whether you intended the central point to be residence and 'O' visa your description of your brand new 'B' visa from Hull may help it become the new flavor-of-the-month.

Just to clarify some more, my company is based outside Thailand but operates in Thailand, so therefore if you look at the 'B' visa requirements on the website I fit into this category with it stating this as ok for this type of Visa.

So in theory this has been a sort of case reveiw after I explained that I could possibly get a letter from my company after they declined my 'O' application hence me metioning in my original post that I was LUCKY to be able to get a Letter.

This 'B' Visa catagory will not apply to everyone just based on any letter from any company outside Thailand.

I just thought I would clear that up a bit more as I wouldnt want anyone to think that they will be giving out 'B' visa's willy nilly!!!

But again the 'Letter of Residency' will be accepted from immigration if valid for more than 60 days upon application that is what they said at Hull consul. I only found this out after I got my 'B' visa.

Hope this helps some more.

Anybody know how long a Letter of residency is valid from the date of issue?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP neds to look at the "Big Picture of life and realities".

23 in Thailand, not ready to make a comittment to be a monk, girlfriend works at her friend's Mum's restaurant, stays in guest houses, does not want to go back to home for personal reasons, got an easy visa from Hull, UK over a year ago.

How will OP ever support self and possibly local girlfiend whom OP is thinking of marrying only for sake of a visa to stay ?

Not to dampen the rampant speculation on this almost interesting thread, BUT. .. ...

Has anyone currently in the UK bothered to call the Thai Consulate in Hull and ask them directly?

OR

Conversely, has anyone bothered to send an email to Hull asking what criteria are now needed to secure a multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-O or Type-B visa? Sometimes the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

FWIW: More out of curiosity than need, I penned errr typed off this email to Hull;

Hi,

I am a UK national and received a multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-O visa from Hull about 15 months ago for the purpose of visiting friends. I see on your website this is no longer a viable reason to get this type of visa.

I do not qualify for another visa type, not married to a Thai national, not of sufficient age to retire, etc. I currently live here in Thailand, rent an apartment, bank here, etc.

I see you require a 'residency permit' for a Non-O. Can I use the letter of residency I get from the UK embassy here in Bangkok, or one I can get from Thai Immigrations as sufficient proof of residency? There is no such thing as a "residency permit" in Thailand, but there are "proof of residency" documents issued.

Also what requirements are needed to get a multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type-B visa? Can Hull issue a Type-B visa if I write a letter saying I am requesting this visa to look into business opportunities in Thailand?

Please advise me on the best course of action. I will be returning to the UK later next month and would like to secure another yearly visa.

Thank you in advance for your reply and for any advice on my situation.

Tod Daniels

I'll post what ever answer I get from them. It should be more than a few days. They're pretty speedy at getting back, at least when I've sent emails to them in the past.

NOTE 2 THE O/P: Sheesh, you must be desperate to stay here if you’d so casually contemplate marriage to a Thai national as the means to that end!!

Personally, I’d go the ED visa route. However, BEFORE you pay a single satang’s worth of your money, I’d talk to currently enrolled students, sit a free class, look at the material, etc. Granted the Ministry of Education only requires you attend class 4 hours a week (so it’s no great time investment) but if the method or materials suck, it can make for a very LONG 4 hours.

Good Luck.

BTW: I know full well there is a "residency permit" issued to "Permanent Residents" however people holding P/R status don't need visas from Hull to facilitate their stay here, and I doubt Hull even knows that.

I've sent them 2 emails over the last few weeks asking them for clarification on applying for a non-O Visa, but they haven't replied.

Which seems to me that they are either inundated with enquiries on this matter or they're not sure themselves on what the correct answers are at the moment.

But Back to the OP, I have a friend who has just contacted Hull and has had some clarity on the situaition about Resident Permits.

HULL WILL ISSUE A NON 'O' VISA IF YOU CAN OBATAIN A 'LETTER OF RESIDENCE' VALID FOR 60 DAYS FROM YOU LOCAL IMMIGRATION.

This is the same Letter you get when doing you driving licence, buying a car etc.

IT IS NOT THE SAME AS A RESIDENCE PERMIT!!! THE WORDING THEY USE IS THE CONFUSING BIT!!

If you not sure make some calls to them but this info is correct at time of printing this.

hope this helps :D

This is encouraging news! Thanks for posting.

Edited by TCA

Was encouraging news, just spoke to Hull they said "Resident permit" doesn't count for anything because it's only a temporary form. Purchasing a Condo won't entitle you a type "O" either.

I asked why the change, she just said Thailand didn't want so many of these (type O) visa's being given out.

Marriage is the only way to get this visa, looks like trips to Nana will be stopped :-(

But Back to the OP, I have a friend who has just contacted Hull and has had some clarity on the situaition about Resident Permits.

HULL WILL ISSUE A NON 'O' VISA IF YOU CAN OBATAIN A 'LETTER OF RESIDENCE' VALID FOR 60 DAYS FROM YOU LOCAL IMMIGRATION.

This is the same Letter you get when doing you driving licence, buying a car etc.

IT IS NOT THE SAME AS A RESIDENCE PERMIT!!! THE WORDING THEY USE IS THE CONFUSING BIT!!

If you not sure make some calls to them but this info is correct at time of printing this.

hope this helps :D

This is encouraging news! Thanks for posting.

Was encouraging news, just spoke to Hull they said "Resident permit" doesn't count for anything because it's only a temporary form.

Just looked at their website again and the additional information for Non Immigrant visas has been changed. No more "residence permit". That'll be that then! They still haven't changed the section in the General Visa Rules and Regulations document but I presume that's just an oversight.

Category “O”

Married to a Thai national

Evidence required: Copy of marriage certificate (in English).

or

Visiting family working/living in Thailand

Evidence required: Birth/Marriage Certificate to show relationship plus letter from relative confirming they are in Thailand together withcopy of valid entry visa in their passport or copy of valid work permit.

or

Volunteer work

Evidence required: Suitable letter from recognised charity.

or

Visiting Thailand as Pensioner

Evidence required: Copy of bank statement showing receipt of pension.

or

Visiting Thailand as retired person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required: Copy of bank statement showing income of minimum £900.00 per month.

Edited by TCA

what a pain in the asre hull cant seem to make their mind up what they require im in the same situation as op there are no language schools in my area so looks like marriage is the only way,still this means i dont even need to go to uk 1 year extensions all the way and no more visa runs yipeee......................

what a pain in the asre hull cant seem to make their mind up what they require im in the same situation as op there are no language schools in my area so looks like marriage is the only way,still this means i dont even need to go to uk 1 year extensions all the way and no more visa runs yipeee......................

Walen School is authorised for ED visas for online distance learning by Skype if you sign up for 1 year. Maybe a lesser evil than the dreaded "M" word!

Walen School is authorised for ED visas for online distance learning by Skype if you sign up for 1 year. Maybe a lesser evil than the dreaded "M" word!

yeah i did start reading the thread about that not a bad idea but looks like a bit off a pain too especially with the super slow internet i have ,been with girlfriend 2 1/2 years so marriage not to much of a problem ,just trip to bangkok get letter from embassy then back to local amphur for marriage registration easy no sin sot and no more visa runs and all for the cost of around 50 bht at amphur ......

yeah i did start reading the thread about that not a bad idea but looks like a bit off a pain too especially with the super slow internet i have ,been with girlfriend 2 1/2 years so marriage not to much of a problem ,just trip to bangkok get letter from embassy then back to local amphur for marriage registration easy no sin sot and no more visa runs and all for the cost of around 50 bht at amphur ......

Don't forget that even if your married you still have to show an income of min 40,000bt per month or have 400,000bt deposited in a thai bank a/c for at least 2 months prior to

your marriage visa application, otherwise your still need to go back to your country and acquire a Non-O visa and still do the border visa runs every 90 days.

You also need a valid Non-O visa before you can make an extension of stay application based on marriage.

You also need to calculate the cost to get married ie the embassy charge for the freedom to marry certificate the translation to english charges for your marriage documents and the letter from the embassy

proving your income or bank balance and any other costs such as to immigration for the extension of stay marriage visa.

I would say your looking at about 10,000bt min but could be more by the time you get everything done.

The 50bt amphur charge is just a fraction of the total cost im afraid.

The 40k/400k is for one year extension of stay from Immigration - not for a visa. You do not have to return to your home country to obtain a non immigrant O visa - any Consulate will issue with proof of marriage and KL will issue multi entry with 100k in bank account.

The 40k/400k is for one year extension of stay from Immigration - not for a visa. You do not have to return to your home country to obtain a non immigrant O visa - any Consulate will issue with proof of marriage and KL will issue multi entry with 100k in bank account.

Thanks for clarifying that lopburi3,

I also am soon to be married to my TG, im waiting for all the sonkran festivity to end but when i get married and have all the necessary paperwork in place,

im a little concerned on the matter with my utilisation date of 24th May on my Non O multi entry visa.

Does this date mean i have to make my application for extension of stay before this date or can i do my last border visa run on the 23rd May and use the additional 90 days that i will get to

then make my application for extension of stay?

Which will give me more time and no need to rush everything?

''You can obtain a Non O in Thailand, do you have a joint bank account with your girlfriend or a joint rental agreement, I say this because a newly wed couple then wanting to change to a Non O in Thailand will ring alarm bells with immigration, and they will want to see proof of a sustained relationship, eg a letter from the head of her home town, or something to that effect, there is no time limit as to the time together but use your common sense. Get married in say May, and apply in July might be too soon, but depends on the immigration officer, all convertions of this type have to be approved in Bangkok, and you will need to show 400,000 in a Thai bank account for 2months on the 1st occasion.''

We do not have a joint bank account no or a joint rental agreement. I already have a non O, I just want another one and in the last year things have changed with the old immigration people. Even if I am married, I still need 400K baht to get a non immigrant O visa?

The joint bank account may show legitimate relationship, however when applying for the extension the bank account cannot be joint.

I'm not sure that marrying a Thai girl (for the sole purpose of residing in the kingdom) and then becoming a monk fit together so well!!!! Just as you and your wife will not be able to fit together on account of you're being a monk (if you get what I mean)!!!!! How many married monks do you know about.

You would be able to marry and then "go to monk" for a short period however, say a month or two and then return from the temple, but this is not really proper ordainment (gelong) and in reality you could not become a monk in the true sense of the word if you were married.

As you have been studying buddhism for over 2 years (outside of Thailand in your home country) then you are clearly serious about the religion so I think you should pursue a different avenue if you want to stay in Thailand for an extended period.

No I banished the notion of marriage a while ago now. I am enrolling in 180hours of thai starting next month. 4 Hours a week, an ED visa and a train journey to Penang. I can already speak basic thai in the sense I can have a basic conversion with most thia people, but it would be helpful to be geng maak ma or perfect. It sometimes goes a loong way here :P

Edited by TomTom55

No I banished the notion of marriage a while ago now. I am enrolling in 180hours of thai starting next month. 4 Hours a week, an ED visa and a train journey to Penang. I can already speak basic thai in the sense I can have a basic conversion with most thia people, but it would be helpful to be geng maak ma or perfect. It sometimes goes a loong way here :P

Good to see that you have chosen what I would have considered to be the best option had it been my call 'TomTom55'. Good luck in your learning of Thai - I can read Thai (largely, as I still get stumped by some things in terms of the complexities and peculiar structure of it all) and I am about to engage myself in learning to speak Thai, also.

One final comment, I find buddhism refreshing in many ways and aspects and if I ever had notions of studying any one religion then it would DEFINITELY be buddhism!!

Tom if I were you I would start packing . Even If you could marry this girl the immigration will check all documents to confirm if the marriage is real or fake just so you can stay here in Thailand . I have lived here for twenty five years re-tired and married to a lovely Thai woman for fifteen of those years. Immigration will come to your home , talk to your neighbors and so on . This is the new law and they are inforcing it. I am sorry my young friend . This is a fact.

Chok Dee.

Chuck

Why do you think there will be a problem getting a new type O from Hull?

There is no 'new law' and they have always checked that marriage is real to some extent. But nobody is living in a tree-house with night vision goggles to check your bedroom. Obviously getting married to obtain visa status is ridiculous for most people but it is done in a lot more countries than Thailand (normally first world to obtain economic advantage).

There is no 'new law' and they have always checked that marriage is real to some extent. But nobody is living in a tree-house with night vision goggles to check your bedroom. Obviously getting married to obtain visa status is ridiculous for most people but it is done in a lot more countries than Thailand (normally first world to obtain economic advantage).

TomTom55 has already stated that he gave up any thoughts of doing this a while ago so this avenue has been relinquished now. This makes your postings on this redundant, essentially.

My reply was directly applicable to the post above it; as is this one.

I realise this but he had already accepted that this route is probably a non-starter and that he has chosen the educational route as this is more viable and more fitting with his ambitions as to what he does (follow buddhism) when he gets to Thailand. On account of this he eliminated this means of prolonging his stay in Thailand from his mind quite a while back, I think you'll find.

They are now asking for "residency permit for Thailand." They originally told me a rental agreement would be ok bu that was before the new form dated 9/3/2011.

So buying a cheap condo, thereby getting you a 'certificate of residence,' may be a lot wiser and, in the long run, possibly cheaper than marrying.

So what exactly is a certicicate of residence? and how does one get one?