Nine Killed, 65 Injured In Thai Highway Accident

webfact

Please tell me what are your sources. The Thai Visa story has been changed from the article quoted . What is your souce for these changes ?

The original story makes no mention of a "bus" only of a lorry whuch was hit. Presumably the workers were being picked up in the lorry.

Also, where do you get the information that they were "factory workers" ? The original article says that they are "migrant workers "

That is a substantially different story.

Oh, and please Brits, if you must use your native jargon, explain it for the rest of us, who were not similarly blessed/cursed with a an English upbringing . I now know after research that an HGV vehicle is actually an LGV vehicle -- thank you!

what's an LGV?

Large Goods Vehicle -- the EU claasification for HGV

Edited by tigermonkey

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes, unfortunately you are correct on this...very sad. maybe there will be enough police checkpoints (salary enhancement check points) to change this?

"'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

Or maybe a good warning to LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!.... seriously? warning to not stop for accidents but by default it is ok to go as fast as you want, change lanes with abandon, run away from an accident you caused, not follow any safely rules...etc. etc.?

I feel so bad for those workers. I say this in all honesty and because I drive these roads quite frequently and see in any given second accidents and death ready to happen.

Very sad...RIP

Driver education, training and enforcement are definitely lacking. Too bad this type of thing still happens and especially with Songkran approaching. Families will unfortunately be burying their dead instead of celebrating the hliday.

'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

More like a good warning to wear SEAT BELTS.

The driver fled the scene, police said.

Do they ever do anything different?

Aah... SEAT BELTS would have helped them avaiod being hit from behind by a speeding motorist?

I'm missing something here.

YES it was " parked on the side of the highway to pick up the workers when he tried to overtake another vehicle.

i was involved in a bizzarre car + truck accident a month or two back - which i confess was also due to my impatience and cockiness.

A 2 ton truck was doing a U turn and misjudged its size and turning circle - so it ended up blocking the entire first 2 lanes.

As i was approaching at a good speed and didnt want to brake completely i decided i could probably squeeze through the 3rd lane.

As i passed the rear of the truck i slowed as it was quite an awkward fit - so slowed right down and then decided no i better not and stopped.

I quickly fumbled for reverse - thinking i gotta move pronto so he can reverse

But before my brain could register he had already started reversing into my car crushing the entire left side, and all the windows popped and the roof collapsed and he still kept going non the wiser...

At this point we have both blocked the entire 3 lanes - and as thai law stipulates we have to stay there until police and insurance arrive.

Angry drivers all behind us and gathering as you can imagine -

i stayed in my vehicle without getting out - and just took photos of the whole bizarre scene.

During this time the wife of the lorry driver gets out of the passenger seat with a 6 month old baby

and walks up to me shouting - we should have killed you - why are you still alive - i wish you died.

To cut a long story short...

After a day at the police station and me being convinced that i was going to be paying for my car myself.

I won the case!!!

As it turns out - The police said that any BIG vehicle like a 2 ton 10 wheeler should be responsible for smaller vehicles - and it was his fault - and his insurance must pay me and fix my car.

To be perfectly honest - i was shocked - a farang being in the right?

Especially when i kinda felt that i was partly to blame. I think it was a bit stupid of me to try and fit through the gap - nevertheless

the law is certainly twisted here... and so is their perceptions on right and wrong - if ever there was one - which evidently there is not.

My condolences to those who lost their lives in this horrific incident...

May we all learn to drive safer - i know i get really caught up in the road range here too, its hard not to get sucked in, and even harder to drive responsibly when everyone around you is a potential death threat

6 Burmese workers killed in road accident

Six Burmese workers of seafood supplier Gallant Ocean (Thailand) Ltd were killed and 62 others were injured when a ten-wheel truck collided with a six-wheel truck transporting them Monday morning.

The accident, which happened in Samut Sakhon's Muang district at 7 am, also led to another accident on the opposite lane, which killed one man instantly and injured two others.

Four women and one man were killed at the scene while another female worker was pronounced dead at hospital. The ten-wheel truck driver escaped the scene.

Sixwheel truck driver Jadet Saengsanga, 33, who was slightly injured, told police that he picked up the workers from the front of Shrimp Market.

He said he saw the speeding ten-wheel truck in a rear-view mirror before it rammed into his truck's rear causing it to fly meters away into the roadside ditch.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-04

Fleeing the scene seems to be all too common in Thailand

It's because of the common habit to avoid responsibility for ones actions.

Agreed most Thai's do not know the concept of responsibility, but are always the first to blame others.

Anyone fleeing the scene after an accident (regardless of who is to blame)should automatically receive a prison sentence. Knowing that, I imagine most would hang about.

Could not agree more mandatory prison sentence for drivers who flee accidents.

My condolences to the family, friends and coworkers of all those affected by this tragedy.

As reprehensible as it is to many foreigners for a driver to flee the accident, there is more to this than just cowardice. I once witnessed an accident in which a car hit a pickup truck with maybe 8 people in the back. The accident looked bad, but no one appeared to be injured--that is until the guys in the back of the pick up got out and pulled the driver of the car out and began beating him senseless.

We were driving by, so I don't know the outcome, but the driver was on the road being hit, kicked and punched.

Samut Sakorn, not Prakarn.

"Can happen anywhere?"

Is that some kind of justification for the accident?

Are you preparing for the "Thais are bad drivers" stories or something?

Well, it didn't happen anywhere, it happen on Rama II road in Samut Prakan. As most accidents are preventable, this one probably was as well.

Some of the poor decisions made by parties involved are likely common to others, don't you think? It's called inductive reasoning

is this socially accepted by thais to run away in stead of calling for help ???? disguesting

and why he did not see the bus ? rather big, so i guess he fell asleep

and what about that stupid sod that cause another traffic jam to park his car on the highway to go have a look ...

6 Killed, 50 Injured in Samut Sakhon Road Mishap

A road accident in Samut Sakhon involving a ten-wheel truck and another truck carrying factory workers killed six people and injured over 50 others.

A Samut Sakhon-registered six-wheel truck carrying workers of a local seafood factory en route to Samut Sakhon's Muang rearended a Bangkok-registered ten-wheel cargo truck, instantly killing six of the passengers.

The fatalities were all Burmese immigrant workers. Fifty-seven injured victims were rushed to hospitals, including Mahachai, Sri Wichai and Samut Sakhon hospitals.

The workers' truck driver, 33 year old Jadet Saengsa-nga, has reported to Muang Samut Sakhon police for investigation.

The driver of the ten-wheel truck fled the scene after the accident.

Following the incident, two other cars on the opposite lane from the scene also collided, killing one person.

Authorities believe one of the drivers turned his eyes off the road to look at the accident.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-04

footer_n.gif

'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

More like a good warning to wear SEAT BELTS.

You're so clever. Maybe YOUR seatbelt might help YOU if another car will crash into you from behind. I don't think so.

But all these crazy people who want to watch the scene should be punished! It's dangerous in many ways. And it might cause some more accidents as other drivers do not expect anybody stopping on the right lane just for have a look at something.

Just maybe they had stopped to help, since read post #72 above, so I am probably wrong

Edited by SteveH

well well another fatal accident.<BR>seems to me that thai road driving authorities are quite happy to let this happen.<BR>what will it take for some Gov't authority to tighten up all the road rules and regs over here?<BR>i have only recently had my first experience of driving over here and nearly got hit broad side at night by two kids on scooters coming down a daul carriageway as i did a U turn, they were on the wrong side of the road at night travelling in the opposite direction.<BR>there is obviously a great need for education and regulation on Thai highways. Which Gov't minister will have the guts to insist and introduce these measures is another thing. Maybe it will take the deaths of close members of their families, who knows??? <BR>Until these measures are introduced, then these headlines will remain the norm, sadly for all those that will be affected by the outcomes which will continue.

We will read of these incidents again and again. It is about time that someone in power engaged their brain and started enforcing the laws, such as vehicle checks, driver checks, company checks and if they don't have Tachometers in the cabs, fit them. RIP the dead. Yet again.

jb1

In the USA, there are Vehicle checks, Driver checks, Company checks, and Tachometers, the roads are well policed and everybody has to pass a stringent test.

On average, over 40,000 people die in traffic accidents annually in USA, how is that so ?

Add to that that the vast majority of Thai people that die are on motorcycles, as opposed to the USA where a very small percentage ride motorcycles, motorcycles are much more dangerous, so again, why are the death rates so high in USA ?

Edited by MrsMills

So the driver 'fled the scene' - yet again. In so many cases like this they run and hide in a nearby wat, seeking whatever consolation they can get. They're usually not hard to find. It just depends on how hard the police look for them. Unless it's dek sen, of course - then they go to a festival somewhere.

We will read of these incidents again and again. It is about time that someone in power engaged their brain and started enforcing the laws, such as vehicle checks, driver checks, company checks and if they don't have Tachometers in the cabs, fit them. RIP the dead. Yet again.

jb1

Begging your pardon, but WHO exactly do you expect to enforce the laws in Thailand??? :jap:

Typical the driver jumps out and runs away, probably loaded on Bah Yah

when my thai wife got her drivers licence her friend told her that she had a brother that has been driving tractor trailer units on the highway for 3 years. he would like to get his licence because then the company would have to pay him more. true story.

"'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

Or maybe a good warning to LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!.... seriously? warning to not stop for accidents but by default it is ok to go as fast as you want, change lanes with abandon, run away from an accident you caused, not follow any safely rules...etc. etc.?

I feel so bad for those workers. I say this in all honesty and because I drive these roads quite frequently and see in any given second accidents and death ready to happen.

Very sad...RIP

you cannot change a nation my friend only lament the loss of life.

Do drivers of HGV vehicles have to have a special licence for such a vehicle? YES

Is it regulated?NO

Are companies with these HGV vehicles checked regularly for who their drivers are? NO

Nothing more to be said

Well if the company cannot produce evidence of their drivers qualification to drive such a truck, they must be very heavily fined and held responsible. After this happens a few times they will be very wary of whom they employ.

jb1

Begging your pardon, but WHO exactly do you expect to enforce the laws in Thailand??? :jap:

Not the BIB surely??????

jb1

In the USA, there are Vehicle checks, Driver checks, Company checks, and Tachometers, the roads are well policed and everybody has to pass a stringent test.

On average, over 40,000 people die in traffic accidents annually in USA, how is that so ?

Add to that that the vast majority of Thai people that die are on motorcycles, as opposed to the USA where a very small percentage ride motorcycles, motorcycles are much more dangerous, so again, why are the death rates so high in USA ?

six times the population millions more autos Americans live in their cars, I could go on but its a no brainer.

Won't the police find out who the driver was? After all, it was a big truck (10 wheels). Or is it that in Thailand, the truck owner does not keep track of who is driving his truck?

Funnily enough I know a director of a haulage company in Thailand and he reckons they tell their drivers to flee the scene of accidents so they can get their story straight and limit damage from criminal and civil lawsuits.

Fleeing the scene seems to be all too common in Thailand especially in the case of fatalities. That's those cultural flaws hampering progress again folks.

I've heard the same a few times, also with coach drivers. The big companies are owned by 'influencial people' so even if the police bother to ask who was driving, they rarely get an answer.

EASY! just fine the compny !

Clearly, the HGV driver was 'over' taking on the inside.

Clearly, going too fast.

Fled the scene – yes, he feared he would be lynched! It is another sign of lawlessness.

Looking at accidents – a human failing all over the world. In the 'west' we don't actually stop!

WHAT ????..................where in the west do you come from Zimbabwe ?

Please tell me what are your sources. The Thai Visa story has been changed from the article quoted . What is your souce for these changes ?

The original story makes no mention of a "bus" only of a lorry whuch was hit. Presumably the workers were being picked up in the lorry.

Also, where do you get the information that they were "factory workers" ? The original article says that they are "migrant workers "

That is a substantially different story.

Oh, and please Brits, if you must use your native jargon, explain it for the rest of us, who were not similarly blessed/cursed with a an English upbringing . I now know after research that an HGV vehicle is actually an LGV vehicle -- thank you!

HGV = Heavy goods vehicle (obvious)

LGV = ?