Nine Killed, 65 Injured In Thai Highway Accident

webfact

My God when will these people ever learn about speeding , driving whilst drunk or drugged. I can never understand why speeding taxis and buses are never pulled over by the BIB on the freeway to Pattaya from

Suvi Airport. I have been in taxis doing about 140 kph and speed past police cars in 80 zones etc.I remember when the roadworks where in place several years ago and the taxi had to stop for road works and I jumped out

of the taxi and walked a few kms to the food and drink place there on the left hand side(I think it is Chonburi) . RIP to the poor souls who lost their life in this accident.

Maybe one day someone will take notice of the terrible statistics and do something about it.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fleeing the scene seems to be all too common in Thailand

It's because of the common habit to avoid responsibility for ones actions.

The manager will come out next to tell us the truck was stolen some time before the accident.

Sorry, no compensation.

What's worse?

1) Driving a small passenger car under-aged from a prominent family, causing an accident with a mini-bus on an elevated expressway with gory details of bodies falling over 30 meters to the road below. The teenage girl driver stayed at the accident scene. 9 dead.

2) A 10+ mb red plate Porsche Cayman owned by a wealthy father but driven by his son, runs into a 17 year old Laotian girl crossing the road, severing her in half. Teenage driver flees after driving an additional 10 km. Driver is later identified. 1 dead.

3) A 10-wheel truck runs into a passenger vehicle and flees from the scene never to be found (most likely as it always seems to happen in Thailand). 9 dead, 65 injured.

Although all the accidents above suck, it's funny how in Thailand the first two will most likely get the most press.

Edited by tomyummer

Yes, but dare I say, it is culturally endemic to avoid responsibility for such actions in Thailand. This applies to culpable individuals concerned, as well as the to the authorities allowing highways to remain in such a state of wilderness.

But the human failing displayed by the driver is not a Thai phenomenon alone. It brings to mind a memory of the driver of a 3 ton truck. who had jammed a vehicle under a low bridge in Melbourne Australia. He managed to back it out, but when he saw the top had peeled back like a sardine can, he just took off, .. ran like the wind. He was not a Thai.

Edited by TechnikaIII

Yes, but dare I say, it is culturally endemic to avoid responsibility for such actions in Thailand. This applies to culpable individuals concerned, as well as the to the authorities allowing highways to remain in such a state of wilderness.

But the human failing displayed by the driver is not a Thai phenomenon alone. It brings to mind a memory of the driver of a 3 ton truck. who had jammed a vehicle under a low bridge in Melbourne Australia. He managed to back it out, but when he saw the top had peeled back like a sardine can, he just took off, .. ran like the wind. He was not a Thai.

Your last paragraph, I feel is universal, especially if the driver is pissed?

jb1

If involved in a serious incident, running away can be the most sensible thing to do......

given...............

the police's ability to handle the affair, and the likelihood they will lock up everyone on the scene until they hae cobbled together some kind of story.

insurance, it is a good idea to keep well out of the way at least until the insurance rep arrives with your bail money.

Really those who criticise someone for running away here are totally ignoring the incompetence and corruption that will surround any action following the incident.

So best thing to do is to get well out of the way, sort out your attorney/defence/finances etc concoct any statement you need and then turn up at a police station of your choice, preferably one your uncle works at.

Edited by Deeral

<deleted> :huh: ? Clearly you don't have a clue what a tachometer is or does? Tachometer's tell the driver the engines RPMs while driving, prey tell tell me how this is going to do anything to prevent accidents??

Tachometer as in engine- drivers log. Not as in rev counter. Does that really need to be explained to you. As stated before just go to wikipedia.

Jesus help us. :cheesy:

jb1

All I can say is back at ya!!! :cheesy: :cheesy: cause that ain't what a tachometer is or does in the context of the average vehicle....

Of course if you had another definition or intention when you originally posted all you had to do was respond to my original post accordingly as in most of the world tachometers aren't used for this purpose.. Instead you went off on a completely secondary tangent..

Edited by WarpSpeed

'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

More like a good warning to wear SEAT BELTS.

The driver fled the scene, police said.

Do they ever do anything different?

Aah... SEAT BELTS would have helped them avaiod being hit from behind by a speeding motorist?

I'm missing something here.

Actually you might be. It may not be relevant in this case as I don't know the circumstances and I'm not sure which vehicle the people killed were in. I've been in an accident where I was hit from behind. Obviously seat belts helped the driver of the car that hit me. In my case when my car, which was stationary, was hit it then hit the car in front of me which then hit a trailer full of vans in front of him. Without a seat belt my head would have gone through the windscreen as would the driver in front.

As I say I don't know which vehicle the people killed were in.

RIP

Won't the police find out who the driver was? After all, it was a big truck (10 wheels). Or is it that in Thailand, the truck owner does not keep track of who is driving his truck?

Funnily enough I know a director of a haulage company in Thailand and he reckons they tell their drivers to flee the scene of accidents so they can get their story straight and limit damage from criminal and civil lawsuits.

Fleeing the scene seems to be all too common in Thailand especially in the case of fatalities. That's those cultural flaws hampering progress again folks.

I suppose the answer is to make leaving the scene of an accident a criminal offence with sufficient punishment to make it worthwhile not running away.Also if the company won't say who was driving then keep the vehicle and prosecute them for withholding information.

Edited by kimamey

<deleted> :huh: ? Clearly you don't have a clue what a tachometer is or does? Tachometer's tell the driver the engines RPMs while driving, prey tell tell me how this is going to do anything to prevent accidents??

Tachometer as in engine- drivers log. Not as in rev counter. Does that really need to be explained to you. As stated before just go to wikipedia.

Jesus help us. :cheesy:

jb1

All I can say is back at ya!!! :cheesy: :cheesy: cause that ain't what a tachometer is or does in the context of the average vehicle....

Of course if you had another definition or intention when you originally posted all you had to do was respond to my original post accordingly as in most of the world tachometers aren't used for this purpose.. Instead you went off on a completely secondary tangent..

I haven't got time to read all the posts but is the problem that somebody is saying "tachometer" instead of "tachograph"

[/quote name=jimbeam1' timestamp='1301905609' post='4334331]

We will read of these incidents again and again. It is about time that someone in power engaged their brain and started enforcing the laws, such as vehicle checks, driver checks, company checks and if they don't have Tachometers in the cabs, fit them. RIP the dead. Yet again.

jb1

Tachometers?? :blink::huh: There sure is a bunch of silliness being posted in this thread :ph34r:

That's not just picking on your post, I couldn't be arsed to quote all the other rubbish posted, can't multi-quote that many in one post anyways....

Well rather than posting a rubbish reply. Maybe you could be arsed to give us the benefit of your superior wisdom. :P

jb1

Actually Deeral already did that for me saved me the irritation...

OR perhaps you can impart more of your superior wisdom on us and explain what a tachometer in a truck (and how you know there wasn't one?) would have to do with making it safer or the driver avoiding other vehicles?

I'm perplexed as to how that would make any difference in this or any accident over the driver just being properly trained and alert as he should be behind the wheel of such a large truck..

Sorry can not be arsed to look back on someone elses posts to see what they have said for you. That you obviously can not say for yourself. As irriating as that may be. I really can not go into the vast complexities of the use of a tachometer in a truck, as I am sure that you would find it just to irritating. I am sure that the UK, Europe, The USA + many other countries have a perfectly good use for them though? So I will leave you to try and sort that one out yourself. Hey but here is a little clue for you. As for helping the driver avoid other vehicles. It wouldn't

Please do not be perplexed, as I did not state in any way that the use of a tachometer, would be better than proper driver training. One last thing, I did not say whether there was, or was not a tacho fitted. Just that there should be. :whistling:

jb1

Lets get this point cleared up once and for all. The "tacho " that you talk about is not a Tachometer but a Tachograph. Two entirely different things. A tachograph is an instrament to measure roadspeed, drivers working hours and rest breaks.etc and is a permenant log, a bit like an aircraft black box. A Tachometer just displays either electronically or mechanicly the revolutions per min of the engine

a word of wisdom when you don't now what your talking about it's best to keep quiet

If you can get the death penalty for smuggling drugs . . . .

Exactly. This wasn't an accident. Hang these people and serious sentences for rubberneckers causing further accidents.

Again I will say go to "http://enwikipedia.org/wiki/Tachometer" Scroll down to Hours meters. If there is still some confussion, in hours meters click on Tractor.

Keep going to Traffic engineering. Could also be helpful there also?

Read even futher and you will find that they are also fitted to. Boats, Trains & Planes. There is even a picture of one on the right as fitted to a plane.

But to be Pollitically correct I will admit to meaning graph in my opening post. I was just going to write "tacho" but thought that might cause some confussion? :whistling:

jb1

'This is a good warning against stopping to look at accidents,' Samut Sakorn Police Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyaphat Charoenwai told Thai TV.

Aah... SEAT BELTS would have helped them avaiod being hit from behind by a speeding motorist?

I thought seat belts restrain you regardless of direction of an impending crash rolleyes.gif

Again I will say go to "http://enwikipedia.org/wiki/Tachometer" Scroll down to Hours meters. If there is still some confussion, in hours meters click on Tractor.

Read even futher and you will find that they are also fitted to. Boats, Trains & Planes. There is even a picture of one on the right as fitted to a plane.

But to be Pollitically correct I will admit to meaning graph in my opening post. I was just going to write "tacho" but thought that might cause some confussion? :whistling:

jb1

The confusion was all yours

Yes, you are missing the impact.

jb1

Do you have anything useful to say? If not there is an exit feature use it.

Edited by jimbeam1

jb1

Do you have anything useful to say? If not there is an exit feature use it.

let others be the judge of who's input is correct.

Speed ;limits are a bit of a myth.

It is common sense that the faster the vehicle is travelling when it looses control the more damage will incur either in or by that vehicle. however, how much speed is a factor in each incident is very, very difficult to work out.

so assuming you reduce speeds and enforce limits, where and by how much has to be calculated scientifically. Speed limits in the wrong places can generate frustrated - and therefore bad drivers - or a huge amount of income for the local police or other authorities.

THere are many "facts" surrounding road safety, but as I've said before facts mean absolutely nothing until they are interpreted and set in somme kind of context.

many posts have suggested one or two isolated solutions as the be-all and end-ell solution to road safety - this cannot be the case.

if you look at roads with genuinely good safety figures (unfortunately I wouldn't include US or Australia in this), you'll see that they are the result of an organic progression form the ground up. When I say "ground up " I mean that literally - no speed limit enforced or otherwise can have any serious effect on roads that are simply not well designed.

speed limits tend to be pretty universal throughout a country - e.g. - a small set of common limits each for towns, country roads and motorways. Well if the roads are not of universal standards, how does one set about deciding what is the appropriate limit?

They don't even have lane markings, incline figures or city limits in Thailand.

They don't even have lane markings, incline figures or city limits in Thailand.

Errrr, sorry, yes they do, but they are mostly ignored or the relevance of them is not taught in any way shape or form.

Now I'm not sure what you mean by that - if you want to split hairs - Yes there are lines painted half-heartedly here and there - quite often intermingling with a set of lines painted a few years before when the road was quite different. There is no scientific method behind this.City limits ae NOT clearly marked in such a way as to let motorists know they are in an urban zone.There is no speed limit sign set up as in EU that clearly tells you that you must slow down - the signs are then repeated at distance and points that are worked out in relation to visibility, traffic density etc etc.I would suggest that either you have completely missed the point or your ae splitting hairs for arguments sake - neither of which is helpful to a debate about what should be done to improve roads safety in Thailand. I suspect like many other posters here you have never considered traffic engineering and the vital role it has to play in road safety. Perhaps then you might find something constructive to say on the argument.

As I have repeatedly said none of this is worth a flying <profanity removed > without proper traffic engineering.

Yes you have said that repeatedly, but when questioned you have totally failed to explain what proper traffic engineering is.

And, more importantly, how can you make the vast majority of drivers on the road adhere to that 'traffic engineering' .... as the vast majority of road users on Thai roads in Thailand are Thai and have no concept of what a white dotted line on the road actually means because it has never been explained to them, you can paint as many dotted lines as you want, they will just be ignored, they will still drive against the flow of traffic in the wrong lane, they will still overtake on blind bends and hills, they will still exceed the speed limit constantly, and they will still cut the corners on a T junction.

So, please, yet again, explain to me how traffic engineering is more important than even basic driver education.

(sorry Meti, I had to make that comment)

Tachometer is any device used to measure speed of anything - rpm, kph etc.In the EU they are fitted to commercial vehicles to record such information as the speed of the vehicle and the hours driven by any particular driver.Now with digital technology they could be used like a black box to record just about anything you want.

In some countries you can be prosecuted for speeding on the evidence of these.

THey have certainly contributed to reducing the continuous hours of driving over any period of time by any one driver and thus reduced the likelihood of drivers falling asleep or impaired by drugs hours.

however As I have repeatedly said none of this is worth a flying fuc_k without proper traffic engineering.

It seems to be a sad reflection on many of the contributors to threads on driving in Thailand that they apparently have absolutely no knowledge of this science, and in fact don't even know of its existence. This is of course partly due to the surreptitious nature of the way it works.

The result is that most drivers are completely unaware of how sophisticated the road and traffic design is in their homeland and put the lack of accidents down to their own personal prowess or the short-comings of other motorists - neither of which is particularly likely or true.

PS - OF COURSE seat belts would have made a difference!Anyone who doesn't understand that just doesn't understand the absolute rudimentary aspects of what happens in an incident or collision.

I think a tachograph is what you were initialy talking about it records time, distance and speed.A tachometer is a rev counter Edited by nitnoymoy

As I have repeatedly said none of this is worth a flying fuc_k without proper traffic engineering.

Yes you have said that repeatedly, but when questioned you have totally failed to explain what proper traffic engineering is.

And, more importantly, how can you make the vast majority of drivers on the road adhere to that 'traffic engineering' .... as the vast majority of road users on Thai roads in Thailand are Thai and have no concept of what a white dotted line on the road actually means because it has never been explained to them, you can paint as many dotted lines as you want, they will just be ignored, they will still drive against the flow of traffic in the wrong lane, they will still overtake on blind bends and hills, they will still exceed the speed limit constantly, and they will still cut the corners on a T junction.

So, please, yet again, explain to me how traffic engineering is more important than even basic driver education.

(sorry Meti, I had to make that comment)

I'm not your teacher - if you don't know about a subject why post on it.May I uggest you go and find out for yourself and then you'll be able to talk sensibly about it.......well maybe.

I'm not your teacher - if you don't know about a subject why post on it.May I uggest you go and find out for yourself and then you'll be able to talk sensibly about it.......well maybe.

Hmmmm still not answered the question, and it isn't a case of student/teacher, just answer the question as one enquiring mind to another.

You can't can you. and resort to making belittling comments.

So, please, the question again, how is traffic engineering more important than basic driver education?

I'll answer it for you, it isn't.

Tachometer is any device used to measure speed of anything - rpm, kph etc.In the EU they are fitted to commercial vehicles to record such information as the speed of the vehicle and the hours driven by any particular driver.Now with digital technology they could be used like a black box to record just about anything you want.

In some countries you can be prosecuted for speeding on the evidence of these.

THey have certainly contributed to reducing the continuous hours of driving over any period of time by any one driver and thus reduced the likelihood of drivers falling asleep or impaired by drugs hours.

however As I have repeatedly said none of this is worth a flying fuc_k without proper traffic engineering.

It seems to be a sad reflection on many of the contributors to threads on driving in Thailand that they apparently have absolutely no knowledge of this science, and in fact don't even know of its existence. This is of course partly due to the surreptitious nature of the way it works.

The result is that most drivers are completely unaware of how sophisticated the road and traffic design is in their homeland and put the lack of accidents down to their own personal prowess or the short-comings of other motorists - neither of which is particularly likely or true.

PS - OF COURSE seat belts would have made a difference!Anyone who doesn't understand that just doesn't understand the absolute rudimentary aspects of what happens in an incident or collision.

I think a tachograph is what you were initialy talking about it records time, distance and speed.A tachometer is a rev counter

I think it's right that a tachometer can record the speed of anything although in vehicles it usually records revs. I think the difference is that a tachometer shows it to the driver as it happens and a tachograph records it so it can be checked after the event.