Not Sure How To Use Atm

TylerDoom

I have my visa check-card set up for international use with my local bank back in the state's, but the problem is I'm not sure how to use Thai ATM to withdraw from CHECKING account.

When I put my card inside the ATM to get money, I tried 25,000 at first, then it said limit for withdraw is 20,000, so I tried again with the smaller amount and then it said "Incorrect amount, please re-enter amount" So I tried again and the same thing happen, so I canceled and went to another bank/ATM. Same problems happen so I canceled and wanted to come back here and try to find someone who used Visa that can help me out because I don't want any problem's. Also I always choose the English language setting on the ATM just so you know.

Another thing I wonder is maybe because I see I can withdraw from Savings account from ATM's as an option, do I need to move my money from Checking's to savings? Or is there a different name for Checking's here in Thailand, because nothing in the withdraw choices says Checking.

Thanks ahead of time for any help anyone can share.

After you insert card, punch in pin, the language option should appear on screen, choose English, list of option appear, choose current account, punch in amount, punch confirm for the 150 baht fee and you should get you money, it may ask if you want receipt, punch yes/no and your card will retun.

That's correct, current is checking. I also wonder if your daily withdraw limit set at your non-Thai bank may be under 20k baht and based on the error message you mentioned, I would definitely confirm your daily limit.

But whatever you do, don't let a "friendly stranger" help you at the ATM machine.

Edited by Jingthing

Did you tell your USA bank you're in Thailand and for how long? If not, 90% sure thats your problem. Call them.

Possibly. It's hard to say because in my experience

"Incorrect amount, please re-enter amount"

when asking for 20K baht means they don't have 1000 baht notes in the machine, and can only provide 10K in 500s.

When my US bank doesn't want to spit out the money and a call is needed, I get the message -- Contact your bank!

In the OP's case, I would first try to get 10000 baht from current account. 10000 could easily be over the limit also. If that fails, try 5000. If 5000 then works, then the problem is related to the limit from the external bank. If it doesn't, call your bank to tell them you're in Thailand and also confirm your daily limit. You may want to call them anyway to raise your daily limit as you'll be getting raped on bank fees.

Edited by Jingthing

That's correct, current is checking. I also wonder if your daily withdraw limit set at your non-Thai bank may be under 20k baht and based on the error message you mentioned, I would definitely confirm your daily limit.

But whatever you do, don't let a "friendly stranger" help you at the ATM machine.

Yo this is most likely my problem right here, Other than not knowing that "Current" account is the name for checking.. But yes, my personal Bank's daily withdraw limit is less than 20,000bt. I appreciate the problem.

I already have my bank set up for int'l use, so no need explaining, but I appreciate the thought's. It's most likely what Jingthing said, I forgot all about the Daily rolleyes.gif limit. lol Thanks a lot everyone.

Case closed. Thanks again - Kob khun krap jap.gif

Just in case it still doesn't work, I have a current/checking account in the Uk but when using ATM's in Thailand I always have to select 'Savings' rather than 'Current' when carrying out transactions. Don't know why, just the way it is.

I would just like to add to this thread something that may be helpful. I have lived in Thailand for nearly 10 Years, every 3 months my UK bank use to put a block on my card because i was withdrawing from Thailand.

I had to keep telephoning them quite frequently which was inconvenient and also costly.

A couple of years ago, I noticed that I can now inform my UK Bank on my internet banking online, I can set it every 90 days which is very handy for me and saves expensive phone calls...... Hope this helps !!!

I would call your bank and ask them to help find the issue. Try selecting Savings, as a previous post suggested, but avoid selecting Credit, as this will initiate a Credit Cash Advance which charges interest from day 1. Also, are inadvertently entering decimals? In the US and other places, you would commonly enter 20000.00 but here you would not enter decimal, just 20000 Yes, it could be your daily limit, $300 is not an uncommon limit, and with current fx rates, 20,000 would exceed your limit. Try withdrawing 5,000 It's very frustrating when you can't get these supposedly simple conveniences to work, but again, I'd call my bank.