Nothing Too Exciting But Oil Change.

Kwasaki

Had an oil & filter change on my other halves petrol Yaris.

Toyota's own oil brand, what ever that was put in it before 5w - 30.

I liked the idea of Castrol Magnatec oil but could only find the one for diesels.

It ended up with Mobil 1 5w - 50 supersyn, it wasn't cheap so I thought it must be good. :blink:

Question really is 5w - 30 changing to 5w - 50 ????

Don't really understand the question, you mean is it necessary? a good idea? problems? The oil viscosity recommendations in your owner's manual state which weight oil to use and that you could harm your engine if you use a different weight oil. 5W-50 is thicker at higher temps which may not be a bad idea if you're running a classic car from the 60's in Thailand, but with the super tight tolerances of Yaris engine (which remember has famously never had a warranty claim made against it), you need to stick with the recommendations so the oil will flow and penetrate between the tolerances. 5W - 30 is fine even in 110 + degree heat.

What I've seen recently is this 5W-50 marketed towards CNG and LPG users, presumably as the gas has higher operating temperature.

I wouldn't worry, M1 5w50 is one of the best mass produced synthetics, as aussiebebe said, a bit thicker at high temps, nothing to worry about in a standard engine, but Mobil also sells the Mobil 1 in 5w30 (since they make it for toyota anyway)

hak

Didn't know they did a fifty, 10/60 yes, l used it in the Pontiac. In this climate l wouldn't worry. :)

Yes you can get 5w - 50 in " Cockpit outlets " the oil came with a Porche Boxster S too a black cabriolet, it was made in china so it's gotter be good.:lol:

Didn't know they did a fifty, 10/60 yes, l used it in the Pontiac. In this climate l wouldn't worry. :)

Yes you can get 5w - 50 in " Cockpit outlets " the oil came with a Porche Boxster S too a black cabriolet, it was made in china so it's gotter be good.:lol:

What the Porche :o. :)

Don't really understand the question, you mean is it necessary? a good idea? problems? The oil viscosity recommendations in your owner's manual state which weight oil to use and that you could harm your engine if you use a different weight oil. 5W-50 is thicker at higher temps which may not be a bad idea if you're running a classic car from the 60's in Thailand, but with the super tight tolerances of Yaris engine (which remember has famously never had a warranty claim made against it), you need to stick with the recommendations so the oil will flow and penetrate between the tolerances. 5W - 30 is fine even in 110 + degree heat.

What I've seen recently is this 5W-50 marketed towards CNG and LPG users, presumably as the gas has higher operating temperature.

Yes !! to all of what you said thanks, I guess I was a bit vague with the question.

There has been heated discussions on the 'motorbike forum' about ' Mobil 1 ' saying it has extra ingredients than all other oils and even the oils they make for other manufactures and the best oil in the world etc etc !!! that's what made me think well it's got to be OK.

I like the Magnatec idea too but I am no rocket scientist just an old do yourself spanner.:lol:

The other thing is it does get bloody hot here in summer so I thought it would be even better than standard to use.

Regards K

Yes !! to all of what you said thanks, I guess I was a bit vague with the question.

There has been heated discussions on the 'motorbike forum' about ' Mobil 1 ' saying it has extra ingredients than all other oils and even the oils they make for other manufactures and the best oil in the world etc etc !!! that's what made me think well it's got to be OK.

I like the Magnatec idea too but I am no rocket scientist just an old do yourself spanner.:lol:

The other thing is it does get bloody hot here in summer so I thought it would be even better than standard to use.

Regards K

You are correct.

Although on start up the thick stuff takes a bit longer to get to the far off places when cold, the clinging/structure qualities of synthetic protects until pressure is delivered. :) But here the engine block is never cold :huh:.

What the Porche :o. :)

Yeah !! straight up, so cheap to run, you push it with your hands.:D

post-87530-0-73211600-1302152329_thumb.j

I wouldn't worry, M1 5w50 is one of the best mass produced synthetics, as aussiebebe said, a bit thicker at high temps, nothing to worry about in a standard engine, but Mobil also sells the Mobil 1 in 5w30 (since they make it for toyota anyway)

hak

Thanks, but I wasn't worried if the engine blows up I would buy another one.:lol:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Mobil make oil for Toyota but is it the same spec I wonder.

This supplying sort of thing reminds me of Volvo, buying an oil filter from them saying why is this so expensive when it is as exactly the same as the ' forget the name but something like Como oil filter ' they said yes but they make it to our specifications not the standard one they sell.:annoyed:

Forever sceptic but trusting, when I got to cut both in half, they were right they were not the same.:blink:

Regards K

hak

Thanks, but I wasn't worried if the engine blows up I would buy another one.:lol:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Mobil make oil for Toyota but is it the same spec I wonder.

This supplying sort of thing reminds me of Volvo, buying an oil filter from them saying why is this so expensive when it is as exactly the same as the ' forget the name but something like Como oil filter ' they said yes but they make it to our specifications not the standard one they sell.:annoyed:

Forever sceptic but trusting, when I got to cut both in half, they were right they were not the same.:blink:

Regards K

Ah-ha, Volvo, can you get better, hmmm no, but perhaps things different now with all the take over shit, but in the past the mark was the definitive auto. :)

hak

Forever skeptic but trusting, when I got to cut both in half, they were right they were not the same.:blink:

Regards K

Ah-ha, Volvo, can you get better, hmmm no, but perhaps things different now with all the take over shit, but in the past the mark was the definitive auto. :)

Yes technology is so different now, nearly everything is fixed with a computer but it can't change my oil and filter.:D

Using the top oils of the time I had apart from company cars a 244DL of my own for 21 years, never let me down, gave it to my son.

Then after several company motors, Fords, Vauxhauls, my company let me have a 740GL estate.

Then the best of all T5 estate. B)

Edited by Kwasaki

hak

Forever skeptic but trusting, when I got to cut both in half, they were right they were not the same.:blink:

Regards K

Yes technology is so different now, nearly everything is fixed with a computer but it can't change my oil and filter.:D

Using the top oils of the time I had apart from company cars a 244DL of my own for 21 years, never let me down, gave it to my son.

Then after several company motors, Fords, Vauxhauls, my company let me have a 740GL estate.

Then the best of all T5 estate. B)

Now your talking, T5, cool. B)