Travel To Us - Locks On Luggage/bags?

tej

Heard from a couple of friends who has recently traveled to the US that they had their luggage/bag locks pry opened.... is it now policy or recommended not to place locks on luggages and bags? Does this apply only to the US or elsewhere too?

You can lock your luggage with TSA approved locks. Some are combination locks others are key locks. Either way the inspectors have a universal key which will fit any TSA lock. You lock your luggage after initial inspection and if any other official down the line wishes to look inside they can open the TSA lock.

http://www.familyonboard.com/travel_locks_luggage_tags.html

Edited by aughie

You can lock with any lock you want. But you risk it being broken open if there is a need or inclination to inspect your bag. At one time they were telling everyone not to lock but that panic attack ended some time ago (but even then you could have them lock after inspection in airports where done in terminal area). Now they are pushing private locks that they can easily open. From the number of TSA that reportedly failed to show up at Houston Airport during the recent emergency you might get the impression that many are not the most dedicated or responsible. :o

Those people are absolutely not responsible. Have you seen some of them? Ugh...

I guess the "official" policy is not to lock it. That means don't put anything of value in your luggage. And if you are flying international, good luck. As bad as the US is, most foreign airports are even worse. My last trip to Thailand (May), I locked my luggage both ways and had no problems. But, you never know...worst case is they cut your lock off...

Heard from a couple of friends who has recently traveled to the US that they had their luggage/bag locks pry opened.... is it now policy or recommended not to place locks on luggages and bags?  Does this apply only to the US or elsewhere too?

Heard from a couple of friends who has recently traveled to the US that they had their luggage/bag locks pry opened.... is it now policy or recommended not to place locks on luggages and bags?  Does this apply only to the US or elsewhere too?

java script:emoticon(':o')

When they tell you if you put a lock on your bag they may have to cut it to check the bag - don't believe them - they break the zipper open and leave the 20 baht lock alone! After this happened three times going from the U.S. to Asia I gave up!

Now I put plastic electrical ties through the rings that the locks would be put on. No problems in the past three years. You can get these plastic ties from hardware or electrical supply stores. Works pretty good! I slip an envelope opener in the outside pocket of my checked in bag to cut the ties off.

java script:emoticon(':D')