Red Shirts Oppose Social Studies Textbooks Claiming False Information

webfact

Again. Education enabling free thinking and access to a world view outside their own country, is key. And will not be allowed here.

That is precisely the sort of change that Education Minister was describing with their new child-centered learning system as reported on in the other paper in their article on this topic.

It's specifically targeting students to be more analytical and become independent thinkers with consideration of world events.

It's quite a noteworthy effort, IMHO.

He also made a nice retort to Red Shirt Leader Weng, who started all this hullabaloo over the discussion of Red Shirt activities in schools.

Yep, it's yet another Weng-ism. :rolleyes:

Edited by Buchholz

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what should replace red shirts in the textbooks? Perhaps fake reds, Cambodians or aliens? If Phua Thai are so confident of winning the election they won't have to wait long to re-write history, so why the hurry? :whistling:

Perhaps they could learn about the Thammasat University massacre and its impact on Society or any other of the airbrushed events in Thai history?

Well there are always far more things connected to Thai constitution, society and politics which Thai children are taught NOT to talk about. I am surprised that Thai textbooks are as heavy as they are.

So what should replace red shirts in the textbooks? Perhaps fake reds, Cambodians or aliens? If Phua Thai are so confident of winning the election they won't have to wait long to re-write history, so why the hurry? :whistling:

Perhaps they could learn about the Thammasat University massacre and its impact on Society or any other of the airbrushed events in Thai history?

Well there are always far more things connected to Thai constitution, society and politics which Thai children are taught NOT to talk about. I am surprised that Thai textbooks are as heavy as they are.

Yes it was fine for Weng to start all his Red Academies and teach their Red version of history,

but when the rest of the country DARES tells history that doesn't agree.. SHUT THEM UP!!!!!!

What do they need textbooks for in Thai government schools? Surely they could spend more time watching videos and practising the national anthem...... If the teachers just organised a few more days off, it would save parents the expense of buying all these useless books for the children to colour in the pictures (and that's just M4-6).

Good of you to remind me. The last 'airbrush' was in 2008 by the late k. Samak as PM with PPP. He mentioned in an interview that 'only one had died', really angering people who had been there in 1976 and hadn't forgotten what happened and k. Samak's role in it.

"THAILAND: Oct 6 people angry at PM's CNN interview

Prime Minister Samak's comments about the 1976 massacre has many speaking out against his diminishment of the event's brutality"

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=87178

The red shirts are going to want to censor the internet with all that information out there.

The Junta then the Democrats have spend billions on monitoring the internet, and have been shutting down websites at a more vociferous pace than Thaksin ever did.

I wonder if PT win will they allow ridiculous sentences of 15+ years for thought crimes on the internet as this government does?

I don't like censorship by either side, but did Thakin's govt have to deal with hundreds (or more) websites calling for the violent overthrow of the govt and the revered institution? I will give Thaksin some credit - he didn't bother with the small fish - went after the major media with lawsuits to shut them up. Maybe if he comes back he'll save everyone the trouble of going thru the judicial system like he did with over 2500 accused drug dealers?

Have you any proof that Abhisits government has had to deal with hundreds or more websites calling for the violent overthrow of the government and the revered institution? I mean do you know what websites promoting such things have been removed? Not just you, does anybody? All the public is told (apart from the usual propoganda) is that 65000 websites have been banned as of last year, this from a spokeman of CRES when it was still in existence. They admitted that they were banning websites if they were apparently being run by any of the various groups that make up the Red Shirts. This was legal under CRES - it certainly isn't legal now under the Constitution, which, last time anyone looked, still allowed for criticism of the ruling government (even if it was written by the army). Have we heard of hundreds of websites having the ban removed - I certainly haven't, anybody else?

Is it any wonder that Thailand had plummeted to Position 153 on the World Press Freedom Index in 2010?

Have you any proof that Abhisits government has had to deal with hundreds or more websites calling for the violent overthrow of the government and the revered institution? I mean do you know what websites promoting such things have been removed? Not just you, does anybody? All the public is told (apart from the usual propoganda) is that 65000 websites have been banned as of last year, this from a spokeman of CRES when it was still in existence. They admitted that they were banning websites if they were apparently being run by any of the various groups that make up the Red Shirts. This was legal under CRES - it certainly isn't legal now under the Constitution, which, last time anyone looked, still allowed for criticism of the ruling government (even if it was written by the army). Have we heard of hundreds of websites having the ban removed - I certainly haven't, anybody else?

Is it any wonder that Thailand had plummeted to Position 153 on the World Press Freedom Index in 2010?

Some red-shirt, anti-government sites are still available even from Thailand. Some forums are extreme, some youtube users equally extreme. Makes you wonder what we can't access from Thailand? Mind you as someone indicated the hate-by-web aggression has proliferated tremendously over the last few years. Many governments are either blocking sites or have them put out of their misery legally.

PS no need to ask me to provide links to banned sites, that's illegal :)

This link though gives general info and some country specifics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship

Edited by rubl

Hate by web agression in Thailand has appeared quite extensively organized. Partly for it's various stated individual aims, and I also believe partly by shear bulk to force the hand of the government toward censorship, and create numerical embarrassment issues on the world stage. Bla bla number of web sites closed down, oh oh hand wringing etc.

Edited by animatic

UPDATE

Red complaints lead to textbook revisions

By Kornchanok Raksaseri

The Nation

30152838-01.jpg

Catholic schools have agreed to remove controversial content from history textbooks after complaints by the anti-government red shirts.

Prasert Viseskit, in charge of supplementary studying material for the Education Department of Bangkok Archdiocese, said the agency has agreed to cut two chapters from a Matthayom 3 textbook.

The offending sections cover "Red Songkran" in 2009 and the red shirts' rally in April and May last year.

"The books are actually supplementary materials," he said. "They are produced and revised annually. We have also decided to cut controversial content from the materials for the upcoming semesters," Prasert said.

He added that a chapter related to the yellow shirts' seizure of the airports might also be cut.

There are 37 Catholic schools under the Bangkok Archdiocese with about 2,000 students using the book.

"We did not mean to have any political implications," he said. "We just tried to provide students with up-to-date content, and encourage discussion. We intended to lead to the conclusion that unity needs to be promoted in the country," he said.

The history books on the development of Thailand's democracy include content on the change of the administrative system in 1932, the period after World War II, military governments, coups and the drafting of the Constitution.

Prasert said the books also mentioned the closure of Bangkok's airports in December 2008 by the yellow shirts, adding that the parts related to those incidents were in textbooks for Matthayom 2 students.

Red-shirt leader Weng Tojirakarn, at a press conference earlier this week, blamed the government for allowing a Matthayom 3 textbook to contain content alleging the red shirts burned the city. The documents were biased, as they did not mention the yellow shirts' actions, he said.

Education Minister Chinnaworn Boonyakiat said earlier that the books were not published by the ministry. However, Chinnaworn said he agreed with presenting facts and encouraging students to discuss lessons.

The content that caused the controversy

"The rally started at Phan Fa Lilat Bridge on Rajdamnoen Avenue and went on peacefully. In April, the protesters blocked trading and traffic in Bangkok's shopping centre at the Ratchaprasong intersection as well as laid barricades around the areas. Some people affected by the protest rallied at Victory Monument using the name the 'multi-colour shirts', calling for the red shirts to disperse. The government later exercised military measures to pressure the protesters, leading to deaths and injuries of both soldiers and civilians. The military said the dead were killed by terrorists mingling with the protesters. After that, Prime Minister Abhisit announced a reconciliation plan. The protesters added to their demands and continued the rally. Prime Minister Abhisit then cancelled the election day announced in the reconciliation plan before the military again dispersed the rally at the Ratchaprasong intersection in mid-May. The leaders of the red shirts announced the end of the rally on May 19, 2010. Some red shirts were angry so they caused chaos, robbery and arson in many places around the country. The government announced a curfew in many provinces to control the situation. The situation turned to normal a short time afterwards.

Haunted by the red-shirt rally, the government will have to review its assistance to the poor in rural areas so they receive sustainable development, as well as find solutions to conflicts with the promotion of national unity so that the country can reach economic stability and peace among the people."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-09

Cant see the problem with that very short and timid passage unless you are into revisionist history. It doesnt claim all arson was by red shirts. The klong toei leadership calling for the reds to go home and then being chased off the stage and channel three being burnt by the crazed mob is well known and witnessed. A similar incident local to where I was is also well witnessed although in this case the red mob were beaten off by local workers who didnt fancy their workplace being torched. Similar to upcountry stories I have heard from those I trust. I wouldnt go as far as to say it was all red orchestrated but certainly most was. There are also the well known speeches of several red leaders. Maybe the book should have phrased it and then many places were burnt as several red leaders predicted would happen

Standard red leadership playbook is to say something is impossible to prove 100% (to the annointed and their cult) and if you cant prove it is 100% true to them it cant be. Reds and Yellows for that matter have created cults that pay little but lip service to what they claim they stand for. The shame is that the reds and yellows no doubt number a lot of good people with good aims in their numbers but sadly their facisitic leaderships dont in any way really represent them. Its a bit like Sombat said (where is he now?) The reds are all top down and he for a brief while was their only leader with the courage to do anything

Cant see the problem with that very short and timid passage unless you are into revisionist history. It doesnt claim all arson was by red shirts. The klong toei leadership calling for the reds to go home and then being chased off the stage and channel three being burnt by the crazed mob is well known and witnessed. A similar incident local to where I was is also well witnessed although in this case the red mob were beaten off by local workers who didnt fancy their workplace being torched. Similar to upcountry stories I have heard from those I trust. I wouldnt go as far as to say it was all red orchestrated but certainly most was. There are also the well known speeches of several red leaders. Maybe the book should have phrased it and then many places were burnt as several red leaders predicted would happen

Standard red leadership playbook is to say something is impossible to prove 100% (to the annointed and their cult) and if you cant prove it is 100% true to them it cant be. Reds and Yellows for that matter have created cults that pay little but lip service to what they claim they stand for. The shame is that the reds and yellows no doubt number a lot of good people with good aims in their numbers but sadly their facisitic leaderships dont in any way really represent them. Its a bit like Sombat said (where is he now?) The reds are all top down and he for a brief while was their only leader with the courage to do anything

Agreed. Weng is just trying a pretty standard counter-propaganda move, which seems the catholic schools have fallen for.

Not to say the quote above reads as propaganda, it comes across pretty even handed. But Weng wouldn't see it that way, since his job is to keep the Red Message on message, with no deviations heard by the masses, and slap down anything stating otherwise. Alternate ideas are not productive to spreading a one sided message. It's a shame the church schools caved on this.

Edited by animatic

Prasert Viseskit, in charge of supplementary studying material for the Education Department of Bangkok Archdiocese, said the agency has agreed to cut two chapters from a Matthayom 3 textbook.

Those responsible for this decision should be SACKED. I'm shocked that an "Education Department" would participate in these history revisionist exercises. It's disgusting.

Those responsible for this decision should be SACKED. I'm shocked that an "Education Department" would participate in these history revisionist exercises. It's disgusting.

Agreed. Very disappointing to learn that Catholic Archdiocese would back down from what, as hammered described, a brief and accurate description of the events.

As for Weng... I'll borrow from Jack...

All rather amusing as a number of Catholic schools in Bangkok were closed due to the activities of the Red Shirt Brigade.

I suppose it must have all been a red mist in front of our eyes. The myth of the Red Shirts is revealed.

They didn't actually exist it was a giant media hoax.whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee

Prasert Viseskit, in charge of supplementary studying material for the Education Department of Bangkok Archdiocese, added that a chapter related to the yellow shirts' seizure of the airports might also be cut.

Would only be fair to remove that also, now wouldn't it.

Imagine the PAD claimed a social studies text book for Mattayom 3 (Grade 9) students contained false information which could lead students to believe that they were the cause of all .... :ermm:

Prasert Viseskit, in charge of supplementary studying material for the Education Department of Bangkok Archdiocese, added that a chapter related to the yellow shirts' seizure of the airports might also be cut.

Would only be fair to remove that also, now wouldn't it.

We wouldn't want double standards, would we?

It took me more than one time to quite grasp what this news report actually said. It's a particularly poor translation.

If anyone else is confused, this is my take:

- A Red Shirt* claimed that the current textbooks "could lead students to believe that they** were the cause of all the places being burnt down across the country***".

- The Office of Basic Education rubbished this claim and basically clarified the curriculum.

- The Office of Basic Education nonetheless opened an investigation based on the Red Shirt claims and will reprimand any school found to be pushing a political agenda at schoolkids.

* not sure if the group issued a statement or one of the leaders has piped up on his own or what...

** the Red Shirts or the schoolkids?

*** presumably in May last year.

Ummm I would say that there is some room for nuance in the statement "if the school is found to have taught against" ..... It doesn't seem tp say that the school cannot teach the facts at all. It seems to say that subjective information would be looked at and punished. Fact: Arisaman amongst others called for the burning of BKK. Fact: Bangkok had many buildings burned. Fact: The reds rallied at provincial offices upcountry and some red leaders were identified and charged with the burning of provincial offices in places like Nong Khai. No anti-red bias in stating facts.

another post by the famous 'all yellow if gold' poster! no analysis, no independence and no objectivity - I will not go so far as another poster to say 'JD' is being paid to write these things but he sure is biased - talk about 'better dead than red' propaganda - shame on you!

Ahhh The Glastonbury Tor Poster whos is Independent , I think not A Red Shirt supporter who makes excuses for the armed thugs who beseiged the Capital city, barricaded areas , threw bombs , torched buildings, ALL FACTS and then cry foul. Only a poo thai supporter complain about the army taking action against such Criminals .