Work Permit For Online Working

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting is what is considered "Working"

Many I know have Wages and OS Jobs that allow them to work remote. (IBM Staff and many others such as software developers)

If your salary is paid into an OS bank account and you just take money out of an ATM here in Bangkok whats the point?

No need for company and work permit in Thailand based on the fact that you are already paying 37%+ tax in another country.

If you are working on your PC from your home with an IP phone and nothing else (No office and no local business or trading at all) I fail to see the need for work permit. Asking my landlord who is an Immigration officer she also felt that a work permit is not required as we have no operations and or money etc in Thailand. Thin line I know..

So I gave up and have setup a BOI approved company in Thailand with work permit just to be sure as I would not want to fight. My Thai lawyer still thinks I am wasting my money....

my understanding is... because you could potentially take jobs from Thai's and mostly that Thailand has loose laws but when it does enforce them it goes 100% overboard! in Chiang Mai 4 guys were arrested 3 weeks ago for playing guitar (for free) at a pub - no wages, just jamming - all were arrested and in jail.

Everyone has to remember that there are people in Thailand that hate farangs, period. They not necessarily have ever had any dealings with them and will take the first opportunity to report them for any perceived misdemeanour. It has absolutely nothing to do with taking a job from a Thai it's purely that they do not want any farang in Thailand. I had a girlfriend with Chinese lineage and her father hated all farang. That he was born in China and was one of those with his parents, offered a home by Thailand at the time of Mao, therefore a farang too, made no difference to his opinion.

Consequently we all have to be doubly careful not to upset the local populace, be seen doing something that is considered illegal or advertising the fact openly in public or by making it public knowledge which may be indirectly by gossip on the Thai grapevine. That Thailand is the 11th most corrupt country in the world has no bearing on indiscretions by farang who may well be helping people at their own expense. Furthermore in the instance of teaching English privately then it may be down to a spat or jealousy between the parent and a third party.

No, I have been here for 8 years. My agent deals with my visa and WP. I have to go to Immigration to renew my visa every 4 months and Labour Dept every 6 months to renew my WP.

Are you saying you obtained a 4 month visa from a Consulate? And at entry into Thailand you were stamped in for 120 days?

You're absolutely correct. That's one of the reasons I got out of teaching. Running a band can be a headache at times, but at least I'm legal.

Many I know have Wages and OS Jobs that allow them to work remote. (IBM Staff and many others such as software developers)

If your salary is paid into an OS bank account and you just take money out of an ATM here in Bangkok whats the point?

No need for company and work permit in Thailand based on the fact that you are already paying 37%+ tax in another country.

If you are working on your PC from your home with an IP phone and nothing else (No office and no local business or trading at all) I fail to see the need for work permit. Asking my landlord who is an Immigration officer she also felt that a work permit is not required as we have no operations and or money etc in Thailand. Thin line I know..

So I gave up and have setup a BOI approved company in Thailand with work permit just to be sure as I would not want to fight. My Thai lawyer still thinks I am wasting my money....

my understanding is... because you could potentially take jobs from Thai's and mostly that Thailand has loose laws but when it does enforce them it goes 100% overboard! in Chiang Mai 4 guys were arrested 3 weeks ago for playing guitar (for free) at a pub - no wages, just jamming - all were arrested and in jail.

Everyone has to remember that there are people in Thailand that hate farangs, period. They not necessarily have ever had any dealings with them and will take the first opportunity to report them for any perceived misdemeanour. It has absolutely nothing to do with taking a job from a Thai it's purely that they do not want any farang in Thailand. I had a girlfriend with Chinese lineage and her father hated all farang. That he was born in China and was one of those with his parents, offered a home by Thailand at the time of Mao, therefore a farang too, made no difference to his opinion.

Consequently we all have to be doubly careful not to upset the local populace, be seen doing something that is considered illegal or advertising the fact openly in public or by making it public knowledge which may be indirectly by gossip on the Thai grapevine. That Thailand is the 11th most corrupt country in the world has no bearing on indiscretions by farang who may well be helping people at their own expense. Furthermore in the instance of teaching English privately then it may be down to a spat or jealousy between the parent and a third party.

No, I have been here for 8 years. My agent deals with my visa and WP. I have to go to Immigration to renew my visa every 4 months and Labour Dept every 6 months to renew my WP.

Are you saying you obtained a 4 month visa from a Consulate? And at entry into Thailand you were stamped in for 120 days?

You have not got a Visa.

You have an Extension of your Permision to Stay.

2.17 In the case of a performer in a show,

entertainer, vocalist or

musician performing

at a hotel or engaged

by a company in

Thailand in the

entertainment

business with a

registered capital of

not less than Baht 20

Million, fully paid-up:

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 120

days at a time.

4 guys were arrested for playing guitar. Did they take it in turns or was it an orchestra. 4 guitars on stage???

I appreciate that this is somewhat off topic but utilising 4 guitars is not so uncommon. However, there is normally accompaniment by drums and keyboard or the such, so a little bit different I suppose. Also they were reportedly only jamming and not laying on a 'concert spectacular'.

I wonder if they were allowed to entertain fellow guests in prison (or would they need a WP to do this)??? Thai law certainly does work in some strange ways. Surely they would be better off tackling drugs gangs rather than arresting those highly dangerous unwaged musicians.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

good comment - what I meant was they will use the 'excuse' about Thai jobs - we all know that's not the real reason

good comment - what I meant was they will use the 'excuse' about Thai jobs - we all know that's not the real reason

Technically Chinese (Asians) are not 'farangs' as they are not Westerners. The term used for any foreigner such as a Chinese immigrant is 'Khon tang prathet' and this type of 'non-Westerner' is seen in a much different light with respect to how they perceive (us 'farangs') .

Technically Chinese (Asians) are not 'farangs' as they are not Westerners. The term used for any foreigner such as a Chinese immigrant is 'Khon tang prathet' and this type of 'non-Westerner' is seen in a much different light with respect to how they perceive (us 'farangs') .

jeeze... we all know that... but the broad thrust of her comment was accurate I'd say mr. pedant laugh.gif

jeeze... we all know that... but the broad thrust of her comment was accurate I'd say mr. pedant laugh.gif

I was merely notioning that to describe Chinese as farang's as in the context of what was written was wrong and inacurate. It doesn't seem to me that all people ARE aware of the differences, as ascribed by you and it was not meant as a lesson to display my knowledge on the subject . In fact I don't mind admitting that I had to look up what a non-Western foreigner is in Thai by 'Googling' it.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

We all know that?

oh welcome JD to my thread jap.gif yes I think we all know that a 'farang' is a Caucasian White but this thread is about WP for online working jap.gif not criticizing a perfectly good comment about WP's because she made a small error in definition jap.gif

I was merely notioning that to describe Chinese as farang's as in the context of what was written was wrong and inacurate. It doesn't seem to me that all people ARE aware of the differences, as ascribed by you and it was not meant as a lesson to display my knowledge on the subject . In fact I don't mind admitting that I had to look up what a non-Western foreigner is in Thai by 'Googling' it.

she meant 'foreigners' can we get back to MY threads subject please?

We all know that?

oh welcome JD to my thread jap.gif yes I think we all know that a 'farang' is a Caucasian White but this thread is about WP for online working jap.gif not criticizing a perfectly good comment about WP's because she made a small error in definition jap.gif

Ummmm your remark that I quoted didn't have anything to do with the word farang :) I am glad to know that you think of this thread so possessively though ;)

We all know that?

Ummmm your remark that I quoted didn't have anything to do with the word farang :) I am glad to know that you think of this thread so possessively though ;)

ah I see I used the same term twice... a mistake for which I was rightly punished sad.gif

At the risk of sounding critical, your question is like a roost to call attention to those in good position you don't have. Am I correct?

I know people in a remote work situation. If LOS gives them trouble, they can be on a plane to Cambodio, Laos, Vietnam,The Phils, or Russia the very next day.

Technically, a work permit is needed. It is about WHERE you actually work and NOT where you get paid, but considering known of the street vendors, the bar girls, etc. pay a bath in taxes, nor do most Thais who find and are allowed to lie and cheat on their taxes (most businesses have TWO books; the one they show the govt and the one with their real income), it is a joke to pay the taxes. What do you get? clean road and police protections (laughing), their terrific pension plan (a joke compared to the West), and their 30 Baht health care program?

Most guys don't work with offshore accounts. They actively chose to take the pay back in their home Western nations, where they have access to working pensions.

If you actually work in Thailand in a job that requires you to go into an office or peddle something door or door or are another bar biz guy, than get a work permit. Good luck making a decent living. Maybe you can go teach english too.

At the risk of sounding critical, your question is like a roost to call attention to those in good position you don't have. Am I correct?

I know people in a remote work situation. If LOS gives them trouble, they can be on a plane to Cambodio, Laos, Vietnam,The Phils, or Russia the very next day.

Technically, a work permit is needed. It is about WHERE you actually work and NOT where you get paid, but considering known of the street vendors, the bar girls, etc. pay a bath in taxes, nor do most Thais who find and are allowed to lie and cheat on their taxes (most businesses have TWO books; the one they show the govt and the one with their real income), it is a joke to pay the taxes. What do you get? clean road and police protections (laughing), their terrific pension plan (a joke compared to the West), and their 30 Baht health care program?

Most guys don't work with offshore accounts. They actively chose to take the pay back in their home Western nations, where they have access to working pensions.

If you actually work in Thailand in a job that requires you to go into an office or peddle something door or door or are another bar biz guy, than get a work permit. Good luck making a decent living. Maybe you can go teach english too.

I know many people who 'think' working online does not count - it is good to clarify for everyone's sake to avoid problems.

Internet maybe different, unpaid must make a difference surely ?

Else an unpaid Thai based Farang moderator of an internet website risks arrest and deportation for working without a work permit ?

I find that hard to believe. Nobody would do it if that was the case.

Internet maybe different, unpaid must make a difference surely ?

Else an unpaid Thai based Farang moderator of an internet website risks arrest and deportation for working without a work permit ?

I find that hard to believe. Nobody would do it if that was the case.

I'm afraid not... unpaid farang were turned away from helping after the Tsunami for this very reason - unpaid or paid is not allowed.

ah I see I used the same term twice... a mistake for which I was rightly punished sad.gif

Ummmmm What was you saying about posters getting back to YOUR original thread and implying that WE should cut the off thread trivialities???? Surely, if you fail to observe YOUR OWN protocol then why should other's consider doing this???

Generalisations...Generalisations...there are Farangs who actually have "real" jobs in Thailand, have WP's and are paid very well even by western standards....;)

The problem is, any company needs to be registered in Thailand, which requires 2,000,000 Baht in tied-up capitol and of course 4 Thai staff per 1 work permit.

I wish people would stop saying this as if it applies to all citizens across the board, it does not apply to American citizens.. It is misleading information of the worst kind..

Edited by WarpSpeed

so... how many posts in this thread are about WPs for persons working online?

I am tempted to answer that one but in doing so I might be exerting energy or using knowledge so I will pass.

Good one, I guess by that broad definition we're all in violation by simply posting on this forum :unsure::ph34r: ..

The problem is, any company needs to be registered in Thailand, which requires 2,000,000 Baht in tied-up capitol and of course 4 Thai staff per 1 work permit.

I wish people would stop saying this as if it applies to all citizens across the board, it does not apply to American citizens.. It is misleading information of the worst kind..

Not completely misleading information....the THB 2.0 mil requirement goes away, but the 4 Thai staff per WP still applies as far as I am aware

so... how many posts in this thread are about WPs for persons working online?

I am tempted to answer that one but in doing so I might be exerting energy or using knowledge so I will pass.

Good one, I guess by that broad definition we're all in violation by simply posting on this forum :unsure::ph34r: ..

But only if you are exerting energy or using knowledge.... So would suggest the vast majority of TV members do not exert any energy or have any knowlege...so suppose in this case it pays to be dumb and lazy...:lol:

Not completely misleading information....the THB 2.0 mil requirement goes away, but the 4 Thai staff per WP still applies as far as I am aware

No it isn't unless that same requirement applies to Thai businesses as well as the Treaty of Amity allows for 100% ownership without any Thai share holders and opens NEARLY all professions on an equal basis with some exceptions such as owning land, communications companies, banks/financial institutions, etc..

But even still the primary sticking point here would be the need for 2 mil in a bank account and not the Thai staff..

I say a work permit isn't needed in the OPs case.

I worked remotely for an American company with American clients via the Internet while living in Thailand. I worked from home. No Thai (or anyone else within Thailand's borders) lost a job or was denied one because of this. No money went to me that would otherwise have gone to a Thai. No Thai could have had my job if I quit. If the Thai WP Police raided me they would have seen me with Yahoo and Facebook open and probably playing games. Nothing illegal about that.

I would love to hear the stories by foreigners who go to the labour office and ask about needing a work permit. Chances are, after not filling any of the criteria for a WP they will just ask you to leave.