Media Players

SteeleJoe

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you said you couldn't see the attraction and by implication meant for anyone.

No SJ, that's your own implication... not mine...

My original posted comments were a reflection of MY perspective on the issue, and MY not being able to find a reason that I'd want to buy one of those devices, given what I already have set-up at home...

So it really was a challenge to the others here who are using one of these devices to give me some reason or advantage for why I might want one, or how it would improve my current set-up...

Thus far, haven't heard anything compelling in that regard. But I'm open to someone making the case... I was just trying to see if I was missing some advantage somehow.

Overall, I've yet to understand the attraction and advantage of these media player devices

download movie, open media player and watch too simple.

I think that's what I just did the past two days via Amazon's instant video rental service via my media laptop connected to my TV... Open laptop web browser, purchase rental from Amazon or ITunes online, then download or stream movie, and watch on connected TV. Too simple... :D

Of course, it could have been the same thing via any of the file downloading or torrent sites as well... Same same...

I agree the WD interface is not perfect...but it's simple and easy to use with a very small remote. No mouse, no waiting for it to boot up, etc. It may not be the best option, but IMHO, one of the easiest. And it works just fine.

The use of a remote is one of the differences between most PC/laptop setups and the media boxes.... I find using the computer keyboard/mouse quicker and easier to navigate and make my choices, but that's just me...

Interestingly, the other day on NewEgg, I saw advertised a USB device for about $25 that becomes an infrared remote for any Windows PC to control Windows Media Center components... It got very good reviews from users.... I might give some thought to purchasing one like it in the future.

I should clarify, the device I saw can be used on any Windows PC. The PC doesn't have to have infrared already installed as a hardware component. The plug-in USB box serves as the infrared receiver/controller, and then you use an included remote to control it.

Overall, I've yet to understand the attraction and advantage of these media player devices

They're cheap, child proof, robust and as easy to operate as the TV remote. My WDTV media player has all but replaced the DVD player I once used more than two years ago.

Ahh,,, the "child proof" advantage I get!!! Hehehe.... No kids in my house... But if there were, I could see that advantage.... Though I hear even younger kids are pretty computer savvy these days....

But you said you couldn't see the attraction and by implication meant for anyone.

No SJ, that's your own implication... not mine...

My original posted comments were a reflection of MY perspective on the issue, and MY not being able to find a reason that I'd want to buy one of those devices, given what I already have set-up at home...

So it really was a challenge to the others here who are using one of these devices to give me some reason or advantage for why I might want one, or how it would improve my current set-up...

Thus far, haven't heard anything compelling in that regard. But I'm open to someone making the case... I was just trying to see if I was missing some advantage somehow.

If you're happy, fantastic! I can see no reason to change. And this is a complicated and ever changing arena!

I agree the WD interface is not perfect...but it's simple and easy to use with a very small remote. No mouse, no waiting for it to boot up, etc. It may not be the best option, but IMHO, one of the easiest. And it works just fine.

The use of a remote is one of the differences between most PC/laptop setups and the media boxes.... I find using the computer keyboard/mouse quicker and easier to navigate and make my choices, but that's just me...

Interestingly, the other day on NewEgg, I saw advertised a USB device for about $25 that becomes an infrared remote for any Windows PC to control Windows Media Center components... It got very good reviews from users.... I might give some thought to purchasing one like it in the future.

I should clarify, the device I saw can be used on any Windows PC. The PC doesn't have to have infrared already installed as a hardware component. The plug-in USB box serves as the infrared receiver/controller, and then you use an included remote to control it.

What phone do you have ?

I have an app that lets me use my Nokia N8 as a Bluetooth or WiFi remote for my PC, I know they are also available for Android phones and I assume I phones as well.

http://www.vectir.com/

Edited by Spoonman

Thanks Spoonman.... I'll play around with that...and see how it works...

I have an older Nokia E series phone, and a WinMo 6.1 Pro as a backup. So I'm sure one or the other will be compatible.

Here, BTW, was the remote control unit for Windows Media PCs that I mentioned seeing above.

http://www.newegg.co...1-002-_-Product

Edited by jfchandler

Discussing media players vs. a PC, I agree as long as you play files you already have downloaded the media player wins. Technically there is no difference, no stutter and the picture quality is the same (unless you have a seriously outdated PC - I use a small Netbook and that works fine, or if you're watching streaming content, but then the problem is the network, not the appliance) and many newer PC's have HDMI output.

Where the media players come short though, is when you want to watch streaming TV from less-than-mainstream websites. Some mediaplayers can play the big things like Youtube and Netflix, but there are many TV broadcasters who offer their TV selection for streaming from their websites, NBC and BBC Iplayer just to mention two, and the only way to reasonably do that is by using a PC. Yes it's not perfect, you need to use the mouse to navigate the website, but that's really a problem of the website rather than the PC.

Discussing media players vs. a PC, I agree as long as you play files you already have downloaded the media player wins. Technically there is no difference, no stutter and the picture quality is the same (unless you have a seriously outdated PC - I use a small Netbook and that works fine, or if you're watching streaming content, but then the problem is the network, not the appliance) and many newer PC's have HDMI output.

Where the media players come short though, is when you want to watch streaming TV from less-than-mainstream websites. Some mediaplayers can play the big things like Youtube and Netflix, but there are many TV broadcasters who offer their TV selection for streaming from their websites, NBC and BBC Iplayer just to mention two, and the only way to reasonably do that is by using a PC. Yes it's not perfect, you need to use the mouse to navigate the website, but that's really a problem of the website rather than the PC.

Of course you're assuming we've got the bandwidth to enjoy such features. We don't out here! :bah:

If I remember right, when I set up my friend's WDTV Live unit (purchased locally here in Thailand), its built-in firmware had profiles for Pandora, Netflix, YouTube and a couple other misc. streaming services, maybe MLB.TV, though I can't recall that for certain... But not much else...other than playing content files already present on one's network.

I think someone posted somewhere along the line that the WDTV Live units purchased from the U.S. have a broader array of built-in streaming providers....????

Meanwhile, of course, when I went to try to set up the Pandora or Netflix services on my friend's unit when I test installed it at my home, I couldn't because those services want a U.S. IP address.... And on my home network, the software that would provide that is installed on individual PCs...not on settings in the Wifi router. So the Wifi connection the WDTV box was seeing was a Thailand one.

Don't forget with an USB or external Hdd they don't need a PC .the picture quality is excellent of course depending on your TV.

After using a pc to watch HD movies etc for over a year, I love using my WDTV.

One of the cheapest media tanks you can buy here in Thailand from Macrocare is called an Egreat EG-R1 for about THB 3000. It has all the bells and whistles offered by most media tanks. Here is a youtube video by them albeit in Thai, I am sure you will get the idea (it does Thai as well as most as most languages)

Here's a web site for that vendor below and their Egreat players...

http://www.mc.co.th/...great-promotion

http://www.mc.co.th/products/view/185/egreat-eg-r1-hd-media-player

One of the cheapest media tanks you can buy here in Thailand from Macrocare is called an Egreat EG-R1 for about THB 3000. It has all the bells and whistles offered by most media tanks. Here is a youtube video by them albeit in Thai, I am sure you will get the idea (it does Thai as well as most as most languages)

Edited by jfchandler

Hi,

Still wondering if anyone knows where they sell the Media Players in Bangkok? I asked at a couple of Lotus stores and got a very Blank look.

Thanks for any idea's.

B

Edited by astral
No need to shout in a large type face

Hi,

Still wondering if anyone knows where they sell the Media Players in Bangkok? I asked at a couple of Lotus stores and got a very Blank look.

Thanks for any idea's.

B

For sure Pantip and probably Fortune as well. If you go to Tesco, look for Western Digital products. In the store near me, there is a special display setup just for WD gear and then there are more over where the external hard drives are.

Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for any idea's.

B

Yeah, I find a lot of people don't know much if anything about these things yet -- including the salespeople in shops that sell them not to mention some of my reasonably tech savvy Farang friends.

Today I saw a limited selection at Central Rama II (well on the outskirts of town but I don't know where you are): 2 of the Asus models (but not the 3 which has WiFi), an Apacer, 2 kinds of WD ("Live" and "Live Hub") and something called the "Mixi".

If Central Rama II has them then surely other department stores will. And of course, Panthip.

Various of the computer parts shops in FortuneTown IT Mall at the Rama 9 MRT station, as well...

Though I'm familiar with the Tesco stores both there and at On Nut...and I've never seen anything even close to a Western Digital product in the electronics section (or anywhere else) in either of those stores.

Various of the computer parts shops in FortuneTown IT Mall at the Rama 9 MRT station, as well...

Though I'm familiar with the Tesco stores both there and at On Nut...and I've never seen anything even close to a Western Digital product in the electronics section (or anywhere else) in either of those stores.

The western digital live hub with a 1 tb drive is available in Thailand here

ThaiMKV

but at a massive cost of 9,800 bht

From Amazon.com it is only $179 which I work out to be 5,400 bht

That's a massive markup, more than any of the other media boxes.

It might be worth getting it shipped over from Amazon.

The western digital live hub with a 1 tb drive is available in Thailand here

ThaiMKV

but at a massive cost of 9,800 bht

From Amazon.com it is only $179 which I work out to be 5,400 bht

That's a massive markup, more than any of the other media boxes.

It might be worth getting it shipped over from Amazon.

I saw it over the weekend for much less than 9,800 but more than 5,400. Around 6,000+ if I recall correctly.

I was at a place called Banana Digital (or something like that) in Central Rama II. I am going to buy an ASUS there in the next week so I can check again and either confirm or correct my info.

Maybe I got it wrong but while I can't remember the price I saw (as I visited a lot shops but wasn't interested in the LiveHub) it wasn't even 9,000 let alone 9,800 -- unless I am or was confusing something.

Bought the ASUS HDP-R1 HD a few hours ago:

Setup couldn't have been easier -- hook it up and go.

Quite slow to recognize my 1TB external HD.

Once it does recognize, it operates at a rapid speed (perhaps not instantaneous but da_n close).

Plays all the files I throw at it.

Bought the ASUS HDP-R1 HD a few hours ago:

Setup couldn't have been easier -- hook it up and go.

Quite slow to recognize my 1TB external HD.

Once it does recognize, it operates at a rapid speed (perhaps not instantaneous but da_n close).

Plays all the files I throw at it.

Loving the Full HD!