Non-Immigrant "O" In Vientiane

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I just got back from Vientiane where for the past several years I've been doing the 90-day visa trips for a Non-O based on having a Thai son. On this last occasion two things were different from all the other times I've been.

Firstly, on top of the birth certificate, house registration (tabien baan) and passport photocopies, which have always been enough for them in the past, they now also want a copy of the mother's Thai ID card. I asked if this was a new rule, and was told 'Old rule, new boss', so maybe this is just confined to Vientiane.

Secondly, when picking up the passport the next day, the 'Remarks' section on the actual visa sticker had been used. It said in handwritten Thai the purpose of the visa (staying with family).

So I don't know if this is just an isolated case of a new Consul dotting the i's and crossing the t's or if it's part of a wider effort to eventually crack down on unlimited 90-day visa running. Probably not worth worrying yet though.