Nest Of Malayian Pit Vipers In My Garden

Hello All!!

I dispatched a adult Malayian Pit Viper in my garden last week and it looks she's left me a leaving present of a nest of her off spring which have now hatched and roaming my garden ...I've removed 2 of them already and have seen others...I was wondering if anyone have any SENSIBLE ADVICE on how to get rid of the little critters.

Cheers

Contact the local Thai wildlife authority and they will come and move them for you. I don't see any reason to kill them like you killed the mother.

Come on Coma !! the Thai don't even look after there dogs & Cat..... so a snake has no chance ...and every one of my Thai neighbours kill EVERY snake on sight poisonous or not .. but if you can supply me with the address or phone number of the Thai wild life authority at will come and remove them I will be most grateful ...cheers

It's always useful to know where you're seeing this kind of snakes. So where in Thailand are you seeing Malayian Pit Vipers? This kind of snake is commonly referred to as "Finger Rotters" so I'd be very careful

where I'm sticking my hands if I was you.

Edited by steffi

Contact the local Thai wildlife authority and they will come and move them for you. I don't see any reason to kill them like you killed the mother.

Come on Coma !! the Thai don't even look after there dogs & Cat..... so a snake has no chance ...and every one of my Thai neighbours kill EVERY snake on sight poisonous or not .. but if you can supply me with the address or phone number of the Thai wild life authority at will come and remove them I will be most grateful ...cheers

What forced you to kill it ? Do you have a valid reason? You can let your own fingers do the walking for the phone number. Most Thai neighbours will know somebody that is capable of moving them along if you cannot contact the correct authorities.Snake are actually our friends. Just like spiders. They eat all that we don't actually want bothering us such as rats and insects . My message I guess is to get educated about snakes. We live with them more than you may think. And they do not attack us at ALL. Humans attack them on the contrary. Please move them along if you must. And please don't kill them. :jap:

........... You can let your own fingers do the walking for the phone number. Most Thai neighbours will know somebody that is capable of moving them along if you cannot contact the correct authorities. ..........

There are no "correct authorities", nor is there any such thing as a "local Thai wildlife authority". They do not exist. Period.

There are a number of agencies responsible for Thai wildlife and wildlife management, mainly under the National Task Force Wildlife Enforcement Network in Thailand (Thai-WEN), which include the Natural Resources and Environmental Crimes Division of the Royal Thai Police, the Department of National Parks, the Wildlife Fauna and Flora Conservation Division of the Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department and Royal Thai Customs. None are responsible for or able to "come and move" a nest of snakes from a private house.

You may get some limited help from the local authority (City Hall/Kamnan), but they will probably pass the problem on to one of the local rescue organisations such as Sawangboriboon or to a local snake farm.

To save you, or anyone else, searching fruitlessly through a phone directory and coming up with nothing here is a brief but recent list of "snake removers" for some areas.

While snakes may not regard humans as "prey" the idea that "they do not attack us at ALL" is simply untrue; there are over 10,000 reported cases of snake bites in Thailand every year, a number of fatalities, and most are the result of someone being bitten by a snake they did not see, or only saw too late. The number of dogs killed by snakes is unknown.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that the Malayan Pit Viper is venomous and potentially fatal; the hatchlings are as deadly as the adults, potentially more so.

Edit 2: Sorry again, checked where you are and none of those in the link are in your area. I believe there is a Pattaya Snake Farm, telephone 038-731586, who may be able to help.

Edited by SweatiePie

What forced you to kill it ? Do you have a valid reason? You can let your own fingers do the walking for the phone number. Most Thai neighbours will know somebody that is capable of moving them along if you cannot contact the correct authorities.Snake are actually our friends. Just like spiders. They eat all that we don't actually want bothering us such as rats and insects . My message I guess is to get educated about snakes. We live with them more than you may think. And they do not attack us at ALL. Humans attack them on the contrary. Please move them along if you must. And please don't kill them. :jap:.

Coma >>>>here's just a few reasons I dispatched the said snake.

(1) ...I got stung by a wasp a few years back and spent 3 days in hospital I am hyper reactive against all venom.

(2)....I have a very inquisitive puppy and can not risk it being bitten,

(3) ...young children often visit us so there's a risk.

(4) The Malayan Pit Viper is a VERY aggressive type and it is a free and very quick striker and unpredictable.

(5) there is over 3000 viper invenomation in Thailand last year so they do attack some human if only to protect themselves.

(6) ..the fact is you are recommended to get to a hospital within 30 minutes if you want to save finger etc and your life ( the closes hospital that has anti venom is 40 mins away)

and for you information the non venomous snakes are welcome in my garden I do not kill them ..

Although we live in Bangkok, we created a large garden. Naturally, all creatures flock here including snakes. Although we have seen a few cobras, our most common are Malaysian pit vipers, bright green with red at tip of tail.

At our place, all snakes prove to be transients. They're not setting up house and will move on. However, we have had half a dozen sneak into the house over the years and have gotten pretty good at catching them and releasing them outdoors.

Snakes were here first. They mean no harm to anyone and are great at getting rid of pests like mice and rats. Your puppy's natural instincts will keep him away from snakes; cats, on the other hand, are very adept at fighting with them without getting bitten.

Don't like nature at your doorstep? Pave it over like most Thais and you won't see another snake. Or live in a condo (although my friend had a snake in her bedroom on the fourth floor at Lang Suan).

And yes, I was actually bitten by a Malaysian pit viper on Silom Road! Bit on the big toe, went to the Red Cross snake farm hospital to get BP checked every day for three days. Antivenin is far more dangerous than snakebite. I had not heard vipers called 'finger rotters' but there's a lot of swelling (my leg was double size for two-three weeks); combined with blood pressure problems, suppose it could do that. I also am fabulously allergic to wasp- and beesting.

Go gently on this good earth, man.

Although we live in Bangkok, we created a large garden. Naturally, all creatures flock here including snakes. Although we have seen a few cobras, our most common are Malaysian pit vipers, bright green with red at tip of tail.

At our place, all snakes prove to be transients. They're not setting up house and will move on. However, we have had half a dozen sneak into the house over the years and have gotten pretty good at catching them and releasing them outdoors.

Snakes were here first. They mean no harm to anyone and are great at getting rid of pests like mice and rats. Your puppy's natural instincts will keep him away from snakes; cats, on the other hand, are very adept at fighting with them without getting bitten.

Don't like nature at your doorstep? Pave it over like most Thais and you won't see another snake. Or live in a condo (although my friend had a snake in her bedroom on the fourth floor at Lang Suan).

And yes, I was actually bitten by a Malaysian pit viper on Silom Road! Bit on the big toe, went to the Red Cross snake farm hospital to get BP checked every day for three days. Antivenin is far more dangerous than snakebite. I had not heard vipers called 'finger rotters' but there's a lot of swelling (my leg was double size for two-three weeks); combined with blood pressure problems, suppose it could do that. I also am fabulously allergic to wasp- and beesting.

Go gently on this good earth, man.

the snake you have discribed is not the Malayian pit viper but sound more like the Green pit viper or the white lipped green pit viper (google them)....either way pretty damned dangerous and better avoided at all costs,

I have a telephone number for a snake catcher in Pattaya, 081 0000070, don't know whether it is still current as I have never rung it as have not had any snakes in the house but PLENTY of MPV's in the surrounding bushes!!!

A friend of mine lives in Krabi province. He was building a couple of small bungalows when one of his workers was bitten on the big toe by a very small Malaysian pit viper. The guy went to one of the local witch doctors rather than to the hospital. When he finally went to the hospital and they cut off his big toe. The advice here is that even though the snake was very small, they are still quite dangerous. I don't normally kill any snake but I would kill any of those small vipers that I found. Combing the vegetation with a yard rake is about the only way to find those baby snakes.

What I've read about cobras, and wondered if it applied to other snake species, is that adolescent cobras have the most dangerous bite. Baby snakes are too small to get a good bite, but adolescents can, but they haven't the ability yet to control how much venom they inject so their every bite injects a full dose. Adult cobras, though, can control the amount of venom and in an attack on a human they generally will inject a "warning" dose rather than a lethal dose on the first bite. As compared to, for example, a fight-to-the-death with a true predator where even an adult cobra releases maximum potency with the first bite.

Snakes were here first. They mean no harm to anyone and are great at getting rid of pests like mice and rats. Your puppy's natural instincts will keep him away from snakes;

There's little point in debating this with you or coma, but this really is absolute rubbish. Most dogs will have a go at snakes and a puppy's "natural instincts" are to investigate and play with anything new; I have quite a few dogs of varying sizes and ages, from Basset Hounds to Shih-Tzus, Ban Kaew to terriers, and all will have a go at snakes, including cobras and vipers (with varying degrees of success).

"Snakes were here first"? I believe that fish came first; if you want to return your land to nature and follow your logic, then shouldn't you flood it? And what harm are mice and rats doing to you that makes them "pests" but not snakes?

Don't like nature at your doorstep? Pave it over like most Thais .....

I presume you only know "Thais" in the city, which is where most people who have little experience of "nature" and who think snakes "do no harm to anyone" spend their time. I don't kill anything anymore, even rats, except snakes (and scorpions, millipedes, etc) - I don't care if they are venomous or not, and I don't feel like asking a snake to wait while I go and have a look in my Snakes of Thailand; my health and that of my family, friends and dogs come first. No exceptions.

Snakes were here first. They mean no harm to anyone and are great at getting rid of pests like mice and rats. Your puppy's natural instincts will keep him away from snakes;

There's little point in debating this with you or coma, but this really is absolute rubbish. Most dogs will have a go at snakes and a puppy's "natural instincts" are to investigate and play with anything new; I have quite a few dogs of varying sizes and ages, from Basset Hounds to Shih-Tzus, Ban Kaew to terriers, and all will have a go at snakes, including cobras and vipers (with varying degrees of success).

"Snakes were here first"? I believe that fish came first; if you want to return your land to nature and follow your logic, then shouldn't you flood it? And what harm are mice and rats doing to you that makes them "pests" but not snakes?

Don't like nature at your doorstep? Pave it over like most Thais .....

I presume you only know "Thais" in the city, which is where most people who have little experience of "nature" and who think snakes "do no harm to anyone" spend their time. I don't kill anything anymore, even rats, except snakes (and scorpions, millipedes, etc) - I don't care if they are venomous or not, and I don't feel like asking a snake to wait while I go and have a look in my Snakes of Thailand; my health and that of my family, friends and dogs come first. No exceptions.

I really like your logic :D ....well said! ..here! here!...my sentiments exactly .:jap:

mothballs scattered around will repel snakes banglay, but make sure your puppy doesn't eat them. My dogs have never touched them as they smell quite badly but apparently not all dogs are as smart.