Britains Stranded In Thailand

Thongkorn

They'd send it to the embassy JT. It really is that simple!

Maybe they would as embassies aren't technically in Thailand, but really, you don't KNOW that. It would depend on the rules of a specific credit card company, and we do know, many won't send cards to Thailand.

But don't let facts get in the way of conjecture :whistling: ..

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think maybe you all should read the story of The English man Richard Hewitt - who was locked up at Pattaya Police Station. If it wasn't for Tracy Cosgrove (Melissa Cosgrove Childrens Foundation) he would still be there. He had no help from the British Embassy. Andrew Drummond wrote the story.

:) Posted Yesterday, 23:59

Dudes a lying scumbag.

Punch him in the face, take whatever money he has, kick his teeth in - then deny all knowledge.

Karma - getting what he deserves.

:)

This one was the best LOL

Edited by TheFishman1

I think maybe you all should read the story of The English man Richard Hewitt - who was locked up at Pattaya Police Station. If it wasn't for Tracy Cosgrove (Melissa Cosgrove Childrens Foundation) he would still be there. He had no help from the British Embassy. Andrew Drummond wrote the story.

I was going to suggest the same thing. If you know of an Expat in dire circumstances who claims to have been rebuffed by his/her embassy, then perhaps a religious group operating in Thailand from that person's country would be another resource. I know I'm opening myself up to all the anti-Christian hate postings, but some of these groups have people educated and skilled in "pastoral counseling" who could provide additional resources to those truly in need.

I was going to suggest the same thing. If you know of an Expat in dire circumstances who claims to have been rebuffed by his/her embassy, then perhaps a religious group operating in Thailand from that person's country would be another resource. I know I'm opening myself up to all the anti-Christian hate postings, but some of these groups have people educated and skilled in "pastoral counseling" who could provide additional resources to those truly in need.

When I found myself alone in a hospital in Tamil Nadu it was the local Catholic priest who took the time to visit me and make sire I was OK. Great bloke who made sure everything regarding my stay in hospital was as comfortable as possible.

But then also I had comprehensive insurance and friends within a few hours drive etc...not to mention offers of assistance from home.

In other words a normal support network which it seems is lacking already in these people's lives.

I do question the motive of anyone claiming destitution in Thailand.

If these people are in such a state, begging for food and money, if they really are genuine, why don't they walk through the front gates of their embassy and ask for repatriation?

Easier to beg...nice warm weather....no need to sign on once a fortnight.

"Look I'm poor! I'm hungry! I've been scammed!"

Little bit of foresight needed when travelling abroad.

Give these people a one way ticket home and have their passports revoked. Permanently.

What a load b*****ks. I have helped out a fellow human being in Thailand who was stuck in a bad situation. He was appreciative and is still in contact with me.

Who are you to say to revoke someones passport?

So at the age of 40 he is stuck in Thailand on the bare bones of his arse freeloading on the Monks UTTER BULLSHLT! It's a scam for sure, he obviously does not want to go home or can't (burnt bridges.

My sympathies to the OP in falling for this crap.

Let the hand wringers and social engineers begin!

I know that for example, for UK citizens, the law says that the British Government has an obligation to help it`s nationals abroad in the event of a war or natural catastrophe.

But I don't think the Government is legally bound or obliged to assist if someone gets into difficulties because things haven't worked out, get on the wrong side of the law or due to ill health.

Not certain of my facts, but I believe this is the

case.

Edited by Beetlejuice

i find it strange that the british emb.refuses to help,i have 28years of living in thailand and have seen just about every scam by farangs who wont take any advice from anybody and end up in the gutter,some deserve it,me and the wife got involved trying to help a person who we gave all the advice to on his first visit to los,on his second visit he ended up in jail,refused to be helped by the embassy,gave his sister all the grief you could immagin and cost us a lot of money,so now we just dont get invoved they dont learn their lesson but we have.

I remember helping a guy I met in the police lockup.

Said he'd been there a while, lost everything and just needed a little help to get back on his feet. Seemed plausible.

I got him out, took him to a Guest House and paid for 1 week and gave him some money for food and phone calls to get himself back on track.

I'll never forget the question he asked as I turned to walk away..."Can you give me an extra 2000 baht just in case I want a lady tonight?"

When I look back at the precise moment I decided to ignore helps from foreigners in Thailand...that was it.

I still regularly help Thai's where I think I can make a difference. Foreigners I will walk past.

"He has tried to send many letter from Thailand to the UK but they never seem to get through."

Tell him to try the internet. I find it nearly 100% effective. ;)

plus letter to the uk cost around 100 THB Plus, although you can find an internet cafe for 10 THB...... as oer last post... SCAM

So did you give him the 3,000 THB to get his new passport????

Actually a 10 gram airmail to the UK costs 17 baht airmail or 12 baht surface.

50 grams works out at 45 and 30 baht.

Of course if you need to buy a pen, paper, envelope etc. better give him 100 baht!

Yes but if you want it to get there it must go registered cost 74 baht, dont register it and it will be stolen for the value of the stamp, sad but true.

He was there because of what he had been pushing down his throat or into his arm, a truly pathetis individual.

I don't understand why these people would not have some family or friends. Did they have such awful relationships in their home countries that they had none?

This of course is the main point. As I wrote earlier, I hold no brief for British embassy officials who sometimes have behaved in an appalling, uncaring and frequently a racist manner to distressed Brits and those wishing to be with their loved ones.

However, the plain fact is. and the consulate knows this more than anyone, that very few Brits, in this day and age , do not have someone to call on in the case of emergency. They may not WANT to call on them, but just because they are refusing to ask for help from family and friends, does that mean that the British government should foot the bill?

The embassy website advises that one of their standard services is to contact friends and family back in the UK on your behalf, should you wish them to. So any destitute or stranded person in Thailand can request the embassy to make these contacts. The embassy will also provide assistance if your are sick, are a victim of a violent crime or are in jail, but they make it clear that they cannot get you out of jail.

In the very rare circumstances, probably one in a hundred, where they have satisfied themselves that the person is genuinely stranded and destitute and that there is no one back in the UK who is willing to fork out for an air fare, then they will repatriate the person after restricting their passport until the cost of the airfare is repaid. This is standard procedure all over the world and quite frankly, you can't blame the embassies for making it so difficult, considering all the lying scum bags and dross of the world who try and get a free airfare home. The British tax payer would not want it any other way.

I cannot say whether the OP and the story he has posted is true , or whether the man he is trying to help is lying. I have no way of knowing and it is always possible that the embassy overstepped the mark in this particular case, but I very seriously doubt it.

However, if it is the case that the man is telling the WHOLE truth, then he has recourse. He should contact his MP in the UK who will take up the matter on his behalf. This is quite a common occurrence and usually meets with with instant results, provided the facts are as they are purported to be. Often, the threat of contacting an MP is sufficient to provoke the embassy into action - PROVIDED ALWAYS that the facts as they have been presented in this thread are accurate in every respect, and that nothing relevant to the case is being hidden or withheld.

Good luck to the victim, if he is on the level, and may he go and rot if he selling the OP a bag of goods....

If these people are in such a state, begging for food and money, if they really are genuine, why don't they walk through the front gates of their embassy and ask for repatriation?

Easier to beg...nice warm weather....no need to sign on once a fortnight.

"Look I'm poor! I'm hungry! I've been scammed!"

Little bit of foresight needed when travelling abroad.

Give these people a one way ticket home and have their passports revoked. Permanently.

What a load b*****ks. I have helped out a fellow human being in Thailand who was stuck in a bad situation. He was appreciative and is still in contact with me.

Who are you to say to revoke someones passport?

Perhaps when the money I've lent out to those in 'dire need' is returned to me I will feel differently.

I certainly won't be losing sleep over my perceived lack of humanity. For myself I expect to pay my way and behave like a responsible adult.

My opinion stands.

I don't understand why these people would not have some family or friends. Did they have such awful relationships in their home countries that they had none?

This of course is the main point. As I wrote earlier, I hold no brief for British embassy officials who sometimes have behaved in an appalling, uncaring and frequently a racist manner to distressed Brits and those wishing to be with their loved ones.

However, the plain fact is. and the consulate knows this more than anyone, that very few Brits, in this day and age , do not have someone to call on in the case of emergency. They may not WANT to call on them, but just because they are refusing to ask for help from family and friends, does that mean that the British government should foot the bill?

The embassy website advises that one of their standard services is to contact friends and family back in the UK on your behalf, should you wish them to. So any destitute or stranded person in Thailand can request the embassy to make these contacts. The embassy will also provide assistance if your are sick, are a victim of a violent crime or are in jail, but they make it clear that they cannot get you out of jail.

In the very rare circumstances, probably one in a hundred, where they have satisfied themselves that the person is genuinely stranded and destitute and that there is no one back in the UK who is willing to fork out for an air fare, then they will repatriate the person after restricting their passport until the cost of the airfare is repaid. This is standard procedure all over the world and quite frankly, you can't blame the embassies for making it so difficult, considering all the lying scum bags and dross of the world who try and get a free airfare home. The British tax payer would not want it any other way.

I cannot say whether the OP and the story he has posted is true , or whether the man he is trying to help is lying. I have no way of knowing and it is always possible that the embassy overstepped the mark in this particular case, but I very seriously doubt it.

However, if it is the case that the man is telling the WHOLE truth, then he has recourse. He should contact his MP in the UK who will take up the matter on his behalf. This is quite a common occurrence and usually meets with with instant results, provided the facts are as they are purported to be. Often, the threat of contacting an MP is sufficient to provoke the embassy into action - PROVIDED ALWAYS that the facts as they have been presented in this thread are accurate in every respect, and that nothing relevant to the case is being hidden or withheld.

Good luck to the victim, if he is on the level, and may he go and rot if he selling the OP a bag of goods....

An excellent post Mobi. :clap2:

Dont tell that to MOBI he would not believe it :D:D:D:D:D:bah:

Edited by oldsailor35

You know, not everyone has family or close friends they can turn to in their hour of need.

Some people just do not have close family or the family is not interested.

Friends, well, you know the old attitudes; a friend in need, is a friend to be avoided. United we stand, divided we fall.

Friends are OK if you can stay at they're level, but once you have problems, they turn the other cheek.

I've been let down badly in the past and have always been a survivor because I had to be. My incentives being that I wouldn't give people the satisfaction of seeing me down in the gutter.

I would never in a million years have came to settle in Thailand if it was not well planned, felt that I could not survive here or had to rely on others for their help.

I don`t ask anything from anyone or want anything from anyone. Learn to stand on your own 2 feet and you will always succeed in the end.

My favourite people or those that push, strive and make a success of their lives. I would help and give my all to anyone if I consider them worthy. But I have no time for self-proclaimed losers.

Or perhaps I am unique, but I don`t believe I am.

Edited by Beetlejuice

You know, not everyone has family or close friends they can turn to in their hour of need.

Friends, well, you know the old attitudes; a friend in need, is a friend to be avoided. United we stand, divided we fall.

Friends are OK if you can stay at they're level, but once you have problems, they turn the other cheek.

I've been let down badly in the past and have always been a survivor because I had to be. My incentives being that I wouldn't give people the satisfaction of seeing me down in the gutter.

I would never in a million years have came to settle in Thailand if it was not well planned, felt that I could not survive here or had to rely on others for their help.

I don`t ask anything from anyone or want anything from anyone. Learn to stand on your own 2 feet and you will always succeed in the end.

My favourite people or those that push, strive and make a success of their lives. I would help and give my all to anyone if I consider them worthy. But I have no time for self-proclaimed losers.

No, not unique, but a rarity indeed in this day and age.

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Yermanee

Hi MOBI .

It seems that you did insult Warpspeed also myself, so a simple apology from such a gracious person as you would be sufficient thank you . :jap:

I have nothing to apologise for. I have already stated that my original comments were not aimed specifically at either the OP or you.

Instead of incessantly banging on about some perceived slight on your honesty, why don't you direct your energies in contacting your MP as I have advised, and lets see what happens.

No, not unique, but a rarity indeed in this day and age.

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Yermanee

Again, it seems with respect, that Beetlejuice has slightly missed the point. If you read his post carefully, it seems to be more the case that he wouldn't want to seek help, rather than they (family or friends) would refuse to help. When the chips are down and the embassy contacts a friend or family and asks if they would stump up for a one way ticket for a stranded relative or friend, the chances are that even if they didn't really want to help, they probably would, when put on the spot.

I admit that I have no knowledge of Beetlejuice's situation with his family or friends and accept that it may be they they would indeed refuse to help or that he is totally alone in this world But somehow, I kinda doubt it. It would be more a case of him not wanting to ask for help. In any case argument is purely hypothetical as clearly he would never be faced with such a dilemma.

Anyway, I think I have made my point. Let's leave it at that.

Again, it seems with respect, that Beetlejuice has slightly missed the point. If you read his post carefully, it seems to be more the case that he wouldn't want to seek help, rather than they (family or friends) would refuse to help. When the chips are down and the embassy contacts a friend or family and asks if they would stump up for a one way ticket for a stranded relative or friend, the chances are that even if they didn't really want to help, they probably would, when put on the spot.

I admit that I have no knowledge of Beetlejuice's situation with his family or friends and accept that it may be they they would indeed refuse to help or that he is totally alone in this world But somehow, I kinda doubt it. It would be more a case of him not wanting to ask for help. In any case argument is purely hypothetical as clearly he would never be faced with such a dilemma.

Although I don't disagree with you, there are some people who don't have close family and/or close friends in their home country.

I'm 75, been living in Thailand for over 25 years, which means that most of the family I ever had have unfortunately passed away and the rest are estranged, same as with most of the friends I had.

It is also my experience with my embassy that they are not there to help their fellow countrymen/women in case of need, they are there to improve their own life with as many perks as possible, and it is also true that criminals get more help from the embassy than people in need, but that's modern society.

But that's just my opinion.

Yermanee

Although I don't disagree with you, there are some people who don't have close family and/or close friends in their home country.

I'm 75, been living in Thailand for over 25 years, which means that most of the family I ever had have unfortunately passed away and the rest are estranged, same as with most of the friends I had.

It is also my experience with my embassy that they are not there to help their fellow countrymen/women in case of need, they are there to improve their own life with as many perks as possible, and it is also true that criminals get more help from the embassy than people in need, but that's modern society.

But that's just my opinion.

Yermanee

Agreed, and respect.. :jap:

Hi MOBI .

It seems that you did insult Warpspeed also myself, so a simple apology from such a gracious person as you would be sufficient thank you . :jap:

Wow, here's one to go in my little Black Book if ever i've seen one Mr Mobi..;)

Relax. It's Saturday night in the Land of Smiles , the weather is warm and the women are beautiful and we have an incredible weekend of sport. :)

Ahhh, now i understand completely the reason behind Mr Mobi's being in LOS...:whistling: .

Just as i thought..;)