Cm Immigration

MamaSan

This is the actual quotation from your website link.. I see nothing here to scare readers who have done the same as me.

As is this one under "Notification by registered mail" and the posts from Visa admins in my previous links.

The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.

Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to

Not trying to scare anyone, just posting previous information on this with a disclaimer as to whether CM follows suit. Follow up experiences by CM members will of course be useful for future reference.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the actual quotation from your website link.. I see nothing here to scare readers who have done the same as me.

As is this one under "Notification by registered mail" and the posts from Visa admins in my previous links.

The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.

Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to

Not trying to scare anyone, just posting previous information on this with a disclaimer as to whether CM follows suit. Follow up experiences by CM members will of course be useful for future reference.

Thanks Tywais. Will keep the site informed of the outcome of my endeavours.

Regards

Just an update on 90 day reporting.

Went in today at 9.50am with two passports for 90 day update.

Left at 10am.

Good luck to you but I'm not sure of the point of these posts.

Some days it's in and out quickly and other days there is a wait.

It's the luck of the draw.

Some time ago I picked up a paper at Chiang Mai Immigration which had the instructions for making the 90 day report by registered mail. It had all the instructions and address for Bangkok Immigration office.

April 20, 2011, I went in to the Chiang Mai Immigration office to ask for the procedure to make my 90 day report by registered mail. The man at the counter said I must, with emphasis, must, go in to the Chiang Mai Immigration office if I live in Chiang Mai.

I am just posting what happened to me. I'm sure there will be others with different experiences.

MSPain

Some time ago I picked up a paper at Chiang Mai Immigration which had the instructions for making the 90 day report by registered mail. It had all the instructions and address for Bangkok Immigration office.

April 20, 2011, I went in to the Chiang Mai Immigration office to ask for the procedure to make my 90 day report by registered mail. The man at the counter said I must, with emphasis, must, go in to the Chiang Mai Immigration office if I live in Chiang Mai.

I am just posting what happened to me. I'm sure there will be others with different experiences.

MSPain

If you live in CM you report in CM.Tomorrow I will be making my regular 90 day report same as I have over the last 11 years,only relieved when you go out of the country and return. Total waste of my time and theirs and a load of waste paper but you have to play their game.

My post was in regards to reporting by registered mail. I believe the Immigration Act specifically addresses reporting by mail.

And my last 90 report I did at Mae Sai. I lived in Chiang Mai at that time.

MSPain

MSPain

If you live in CM you report in CM.Tomorrow I will be making my regular 90 day report same as I have over the last 11 years,only relieved when you go out of the country and return. Total waste of my time and theirs and a load of waste paper but you have to play their game.

Edited by hml367

Left at 10am.

Its interesting to know the current situation .I also done the 90 day report today Thursday .I arrived at 12.58 pm ,and was out by 13.08 ,so 10 minutes also for me .It shows that there is no need to go early in the morning to do a 90 day report .

Obviously if your residential adrress is in CM but you are in another part of the county when its due you can do by registered mail and if you are unwell, or unable, some one else,who you trust, can do it for you. With 90 day reporting its actually a lot quicker if you don't go early.

Not necessarily so IME, as I did a 90-day report at Jomtien several months back, giving my Pattaya-GuestHouse address, without difficulty, although I live here in Chiang Mai.

Not necessarily so IME, as I did a 90-day report at Jomtien several months back, giving my Pattaya-GuestHouse address, without difficulty, although I live here in Chiang Mai.

Yes , I think that if you leave CM (in your case) more than 24 hours, you should report to the local authorities. :)

About 3 years ago my brother died in Ubon and so l had to go there to make funeral arrangements but my 90 day report was due within 2 days. A immigration captain who worked at a Cambodian border attended the funeral and signed my 90 day report form without hesitation. Also in Chiang Mai if you are a member of Chiang Mai Friends you can leave the relevant documents at their office on certain days of the month and collect them the next day duly signed by a Immigration Officer. It only applies to 90 day reporting.

I think you are absolutely right, Ricardo.

On the Immigration Bureau web site it says:

Offices accepting notification:

1. Immigration Division1 Office, Chalermprakiat Government Complex,Chaengwattana Rd., Laksi ,Bangkok
  2. Visa extension units, Chamchuree Square Building, Floor 18 , Phatumwan, Bangkok
    Services are provided only to foreigners who have already submitted an application for temporary stay in the kingdom of thailand at sub-division 3
  3. Immigration offices throughout the country

MSPain

PS The Immigration Act is made easily available by the Immigration Bureau on the internet. I don't recall ever seeing anything saying that you must report in the area that you live.

Regarding Section 4, Temporary Stay in the Kingdom:

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the

competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as

possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is

an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as

prescribed by the Director General.

In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a

letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the

Director General .

Edited by hml367

Lets make the distiction between mailing and personal appearance.Did you report in person in Jomtien ???? then its ok. OP is talking about reporting by mail, in person you can report anywhere in Thailand. CM do not accept, to my knowledge by mail, if you are here at your home address in CM.

Still waiting here for the imm office to return my first 90 day report by mail ....the new

receipt that is , send it 11th of April , my date due was the 18th .

I'm reading contradicting messages on this thread , some who did it for years and some asking for information on it , or they gave the wrong information at the desk or its correct information and we all discuss about this for nothing ... and I send it for nothing ,

sigh , guess I start to worry a bit if by next week nothing is in my mailbox .

Anyway I will make a post when I've got the mail back , so more people could do the same and try it or got a bit poorer for trying it .

Can someone suggest when would be the appropriate time if nothing comes in return , guess 1 month ? together with the receipt from the postoffce stating the date and to whom also .

And sparkles , I've read numerous posts of members who do send 90 days reporting by mail ,

if not how i would have got to all this information , I've researched some time on this , and thought I wanted to try it myself because of that , I'll know the real answer in not too much time , hope it will be a positive one .

Still waiting here for the imm office to return my first 90 day report by mail ....the new

I'm reading contradicting messages on this thread , some who did it for years and some asking for information on it , or they gave the wrong information at the desk or its correct information and we all discuss about this for nothing ... and I send it for nothing ,

Anyway I will make a post when I've got the mail back , so more people could do the same and try it or got a bit poorer for trying it .

Can someone suggest when would be the appropriate time if nothing comes in return , guess 1 month ? together with the receipt from the postoffce stating the date and to whom also .

And sparkles , I've read numerous posts of members who do send 90 days reporting by mail ,

if not how i would have got to all this information , I've researched some time on this , and thought I wanted to try it myself because of that , I'll know the real answer in not too much time , hope it will be a positive one .

If you check the Immigration Bureau web site, it gives the procedure to do the report by registered mail. It shows the mailing address to be in Bangkok. It doesn't say anything about where a person resides. There is also a phone number in Bangkok to call to get more information. I would think it is better to get the information from this phone number than relying on posts on this forum. Chiang Mai Immigration office was providing the instructions to make the report by mail with the Bangkok mailing address.

Then there is the fact that if Immigration does not complete your report either in person or by mail because of their own interpretation or follow orders, you still do not have the required report. Something to keep in mind. Arguing with them is non-productive.

In my experience I have never had long waits or problems with 90 day reporting. The report I did in Mae Sai was done because that was where I happened to be..... I asked... they did it. When I went to the counter in Chiang Mai to inquire, I was told I MUST go in to the office in Chiang Mai because that is where I live.

MSPain

Lets make the distiction between mailing and personal appearance.Did you report in person in Jomtien ???? then its ok. OP is talking about reporting by mail, in person you can report anywhere in Thailand. CM do not accept, to my knowledge by mail, if you are here at your home address in CM.

Yes, just to confirm that I reported in person, at Jomtien.

The helpful farang volunteer, on duty at a desk just inside the Immigration Office there, told me to be sure to use my local address (the guesthouse) rather than my real home-address in another province, as they would only accept renewals giving an address in Chonburi province.

Left at 10am.

Its interesting to know the current situation .I also done the 90 day report today Thursday .I arrived at 12.58 pm ,and was out by 13.08 ,so 10 minutes also for me .It shows that there is no need to go early in the morning to do a 90 day report .

I am pleased someone got the point of my post. I feel fulfilled. :D

If you check the Immigration Bureau web site, it gives the procedure to do the report by registered mail. It shows the mailing address to be in Bangkok. It doesn't say anything about where a person resides. There is also a phone number in Bangkok to call to get more information. I would think it is better to get the information from this phone number than relying on posts on this forum. Chiang Mai Immigration office was providing the instructions to make the report by mail with the Bangkok mailing address.

Then there is the fact that if Immigration does not complete your report either in person or by mail because of their own interpretation or follow orders, you still do not have the required report. Something to keep in mind. Arguing with them is non-productive.

In my experience I have never had long waits or problems with 90 day reporting. The report I did in Mae Sai was done because that was where I happened to be..... I asked... they did it. When I went to the counter in Chiang Mai to inquire, I was told I MUST go in to the office in Chiang Mai because that is where I live.

MSPain

I understand what you mean , I cannot rely on information on their website or information some give at their desk either , guess I wait till this month is finished and go and clear it myself if nothing happens , anyway all this 90 days report is a waist of time ,

just came from my 90 day report.. took less than 10 minutes from time i got a queue ticket to out the door. Arrived about 9:10am, gone by 9:17 am... on a Friday no less. Signs posted everywhere telling of 4 days in May they will be shut, for interested parties. Coronation day, Plowing day and a couple of other days... all of which correspond to the link posted above.

I can happily confirm that I received my immigration 90 days report slip back into my mail TODAY ! So yes CM immigration does accept the report by mail .

And yes , some information I researched on this forum and confirmations of other members is trustworthy , and yes also that when asking confirmation from an officer who does not directly handle this service doesn't know what they are talking about or the foreigner is not able to make the officer understand what he's asking for ( which happens a lot ).

Anyways I'm very happpy I took my chances . :jap:

I can happily confirm that I received my immigration 90 days report slip back into my mail TODAY ! So yes CM immigration does accept the report by mail .

And yes , some information I researched on this forum and confirmations of other members is trustworthy , and yes also that when asking confirmation from an officer who does not directly handle this service doesn't know what they are talking about or the foreigner is not able to make the officer understand what he's asking for ( which happens a lot ).

Congratulations! What address did you mail your papers to?

MSPain

MSPain

Thank you , look at post # 21 , for the correct address .

Thanks. I'll try it next time because it's too late this time. I'll try and ask someone different when I go in next week also.

I have tried the email address for the Chiang Mai Immigration office in the past and it didn't work. I emailed Immigration Bureau and they haven't answered me yet. So thank you for your information.

MSPain

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Thanks. I'll try it next time because it's too late this time. I'll try and ask someone different when I go in next week also.

I have tried the email address for the Chiang Mai Immigration office in the past and it didn't work. I emailed Immigration Bureau and they haven't answered me yet. So thank you for your information.

MSPain

MSPain

No need to ask further , my confirmation and the correct address is all you need , trying to

get information from the imm office has been in my extended experience at the office a total failure , different answers from different officers etc , especially referring to them in English , I can speak Thai very well and got incorrect answers of them , extended experience from other expats staying long term , so long they are trustworthy and know what they are talking about , is the best you can get in my honest opinion . But trying doesn't hurt , but don't think beforehand it will bring you a better peace of mind in this regards , all but least I find that CM immigration is working pretty correct , apart from the info at the desk part ....

CM Immigration is becoming more of a joke. I went in on April 18th at 9am to do a 90 day reporting for my daughter (soon to be 5). It used to be that if I went in at this time of day i could expect about a 1 hr wait. Perhaps it was the holiday but we were no. 516 in the queue and the number being served at that time was 570 some... I was told it would go to 800 and the start at 500 again...So that means we had nearly 250+ in front of us.

I said the hell with it and waited until Tuesday after the holidays (April 19th). We got there at 7:45am and there was already 35 ahead of us in the queue. It took probably a little over an hour... Yes we were late in reporting as it was due on April 8th...but the good thing is there is no late fee for a minor under 16 reporting late...... So I guess why should we report at all?

I took some pics while there both days to show the chaos and disorganization of the whole process. There is hardly any place to walk around to get to where you need to go (i.e. Window or Queue line)... a real cluster f$%#@!!

Now comes last Thursday (April 21st) and we went to the US Consulate to renew this same daughter's passport.... Scheduled an appointment online, in and out in less than 40 minutes.... Needless to say some of that time was going through a thorough security check and afterwards waiting in a cool comfortable waiting area that had ample seating spaced in an order where one did not have to step on others to get through when hearing there name called out clearly on a PA system that was setup for a well established process.

Thailand Immigration...get real please as you're a royal pain to deal with even when it comes to something as simple as a 90 day check in...which in it's self is stupid!

So.....I live in the south. I will come to CM to stay for 4 months, at which time I will have to report to immigration for the 90-day report (Retirement visa).

The advice here is to simply put my address (rented condo) on the report as where I am living in CM, NOT where I actually live full time in Thailand? IS that all?

Quote "And yes , some information I researched on this forum and confirmations of other members is trustworthy , and yes also that when asking confirmation from an officer who does not directly handle this service doesn't know what they are talking about or the foreigner is not able to make the officer understand what he's asking for ( which happens a lot ).

MSPain

No need to ask further , my confirmation and the correct address is all you need , trying to

get information from the imm office has been in my extended experience at the office a total failure , different answers from different officers etc , especially referring to them in English , I can speak Thai very well and got incorrect answers of them , extended experience from other expats staying long term , so long they are trustworthy and know what they are talking about , is the best you can get in my honest opinion . But trying doesn't hurt , but don't think beforehand it will bring you a better peace of mind in this regards , all but least I find that CM immigration is working pretty correct , apart from the info at the desk part ....

Un quote"

Agreed tijnebijn

I can confirm that the postal system does work, despite being told by a post on this forum that the 15 day before and 7 day after reporting date did not apply to a postal application. Proof of the pudding is now in my hands.

I applied by EMS on the 11th April for a 15th April renewal...application received by Immigration the 12th April and authorised without delay. Posted back to me after Songkran without a problem. Cost of postage 35 baht including SAE. And they even sent me a new TM 47 (90 day report) for next time.

Well done Immigration Chiang Mai.

Edited by Raindancer