Cm Immigration

MamaSan

Okay , got all the info needed , thank you again , I will do it registered with the local

post office , this is the service the receiver needs to sign with the postman they've got the post right ?

Yes...that is correct.

By the way do not forget to sign all photocopies of documents that you send with your TM 47

Edited by Raindancer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay , got all the info needed , thank you again , I will do it registered with the local

post office , this is the service the receiver needs to sign with the postman they've got the post right ?

Yes...that is correct.

By the way do not forget to sign all photocopies of documents that you send with your TM 47

Okay , thanks for mentioning , cheers .

Stroll on... talk about stressing the servers.

Nancy, I am pretty sure you are allowed seven days grace on 90 day reporting without any penalties.

Maybe someone can confirm?

That is correct ThaiPauly. Confirmed by a senior Immigration Officer when I was there about two weeks ago.

Perhaps Lop will chime in and also confirm to make absolutely sure. :rolleyes:

It will be closed 13th-17th. So if you go on Monday or Tuesday like stated above go early. Even for 90 day report go early. I have talked to people and they have told me that for the last 2 weeks it has been over packed. On average there has been 100 people in line before 8:30 when they actually open.

Sorry, not true. This is rubbish. I went for my visa on Wednesday 30th March. Arrived 06.45, was number 4 in queue. At 08.30 there were a total of 20 only. I was out of there visa done by 09.15 and the politeness and service was best ever. They now have much younger officers, speaking perfect English doing the visas, the service is 500% better than 2 years ago despite huge increase in customers.

Went back later same day for a re entry, as it was so quiet and was in and out in 15 minutes!!

PostmanPat - Just because you were there nearly 2 weeks ago, and were fortunate to find yourself on a quiet day (Mid week on a rare week when there is no Thai public holiday), does not make newbie001's statement "not true, rubbish"

I was there last Thursday, and I arrived at 6.30am, and was about 10th in the queue. By the time they opened the doors (At 7am) to write our names down ready for when the ticket machine opened at 8, there was easily 50+ people there. By the time 8am arrived, the whole room was packed to the brim, with I would guess 150-200 people milling around. All this 30 minutes before they open.

The OP was about a thai holiday week at the office, which brings with it a rush before they close, and a rush when they reopen.

I wont be so crass as to say that your post is not true, or rubbish. I shall merely state, it is irrelevant. ;)

PostmanPat - Just because you were there nearly 2 weeks ago, and were fortunate to find yourself on a quiet day (Mid week on a rare week when there is no Thai public holiday), does not make newbie001's statement "not true, rubbish"

I was there last Thursday, and I arrived at 6.30am, and was about 10th in the queue. By the time they opened the doors (At 7am) to write our names down ready for when the ticket machine opened at 8, there was easily 50+ people there. By the time 8am arrived, the whole room was packed to the brim, with I would guess 150-200 people milling around. All this 30 minutes before they open.

The OP was about a thai holiday week at the office, which brings with it a rush before they close, and a rush when they reopen.

I wont be so crass as to say that your post is not true, or rubbish. I shall merely state, it is irrelevant. ;)

Mallmagician obviously got out of bed the wrong side today!! Stop being so over sensitive!! If people choose to go to immigration the day before or the day after a holiday, or on a monday or a friday, then yes you get big queues...but there are ways to manage your visits to avoid this, as I always do. All you have to do is engage brain and think it out. It isnt rocket science, and of course you dont have to go on the very day. I go almost a month before my visa is up and they give you a full 12 months from expiry date, in other words, they give credit for the unexpired days. Choose your day carefully, it helps them, and it helps you too!! I ve been getting retirement visas 6 years now, and I have always been out within an hour, why? because I think about it, work it out and choose my time!!

No, not oversensitive, just sticking up for a helpful poster after you told them they were telling porkies, and spouting rubbish. Of course you are right with what you have JUST said, that you have to pick and choose the best day to go. Perhaps it would have been useful to post that originally, instead of irrelevant information about a couple of weeks ago. With so many thai public holidays, and with different personal circumstances, it is not always possible to go on a great day.

Yes, we all know, try to avoid Mondays and Fridays, and days either side of a public holiday - but last week, this week, and probably the early half of next week, the massive queues are a reality, and not rubbish, as you state.

If we all posted lovely stories about it always being quiet when its not, how does someone new benefit from peoples experiences? Or maybe we can throw them all off the scent of the good days, and keep them to ourselves. ;)

:s

No, not oversensitive, just sticking up for a helpful poster after you told them they were telling porkies, and spouting rubbish. Of course you are right with what you have JUST said, that you have to pick and choose the best day to go. Perhaps it would have been useful to post that originally, instead of irrelevant information about a couple of weeks ago. With so many thai public holidays, and with different personal circumstances, it is not always possible to go on a great day.

Yes, we all know, try to avoid Mondays and Fridays, and days either side of a public holiday - but last week, this week, and probably the early half of next week, the massive queues are a reality, and not rubbish, as you state.

If we all posted lovely stories about it always being quiet when its not, how does someone new benefit from peoples experiences? Or maybe we can throw them all off the scent of the good days, and keep them to ourselves. ;)

:s

Good idea!! OK, everybody go mondays, fridays, and the day before or after holidays!! Thus leaving the quiet days for grumpy old men like us!!

On the other hand, kick out the ever growing Japanese population of CM, leaving even more spaces for us!!

In my defense postman if you had read my first comment and the comment of another poster. You have seen that I said that it is not usually this crowded. That on a normal day you can get in an out relatively quick. Another poster said that it is overcrowded everyday of every month I did not. I said last week it was especially crowded. I actually went today and it wasn't too bad. Still more packed than a normal day but less than last week.

I do agree with your point about being selective with your days at immigration but if everyone avoids Mondays because they are busy, then they aren't busy anymore and Wednesday becomes the new Monday. So just because you are retired and can go any day that you want, don't judge others that are not as free with their time. And unfortunately you have added nothing to this thread to help the OP or to update about the current atmosphere at Immigration. PS. You have been here to long if you think the new counter people have excellent English ability. One woman asked them about getting more forms and they couldn't understand what was wanted. And just gave the "we don't have" answer. Obviously immigration has visa extension forms, they just couldn't be bothered to find out what was needed.

You brag about being in an out in an hour every time for 6 years, but you even stated that above you arrived before 7 and were out after 9 making 2 1/2 hours not 1.

Edited by sbk
flame removed

In my defense postman if you had read my first comment and the comment of another poster. You have seen that I said that it is not usually this crowded. That on a normal day you can get in an out relatively quick. Another poster said that it is overcrowded everyday of every month I did not. I said last week it was especially crowded. I actually went today and it wasn't too bad. Still more packed than a normal day but less than last week.

I do agree with your point about being selective with your days at immigration but if everyone avoids Mondays because they are busy, then they aren't busy anymore and Wednesday becomes the new Monday. So just because you are retired and can go any day that you want, don't judge others that are not as free with their time. And unfortunately you have added nothing to this thread to help the OP or to update about the current atmosphere at Immigration. PS. You have been here to long if you think the new counter people have excellent English ability. One woman asked them about getting more forms and they couldn't understand what was wanted. And just gave the "we don't have" answer. Obviously immigration has visa extension forms, they just couldn't be bothered to find out what was needed.

You brag about being in an out in an hour every time for 6 years, but you even stated that above you arrived before 7 and were out after 9 making 2 1/2 hours not 1. Who is the one full of crap/rubbish. You condemn/criticize others and yet you yourself over estimate and brag and add nothing constructive.

Newbie, stop being so bitter and twisted and get a life. Out of there by 9.15 when they open at 8.30 constitutes 45 minutes to me, Time spent drinking coffee before 8.30 doesnt count, but lets not get pedantic. In 6 years I ve never had a problem at all. Know why? I do it right, copy all the papers, fill the forms, get there at the right time and on the right day. Thats it. It can be done!! A lot of the moaners, and you see/ hear them there every time you go is because they havent got it right, havent had the money in the bank long enough, havent got a form/ document they need etc etc.

Dont you think if you were a Foreigner in one of our home countries that you wouldnt have the same kind of bureaucracy? Of course you would!!

you definitely have your own way of interpreting things. I cannot think of anything that I wrote that could be considered twisted or bitter. As well as to think that having to queue 1 1/2 hours before the machine is turned on is not counted in the time it takes you to go to immigration. If you showed up at 8:30 when the officers open up, you would not be seen until 11 at the earliest and most likely not until after 1. On a busy day you would be told to return the following day. So having to come early is a part of the time it takes. Since you are retired and having nothing better to do than drink coffee for 1-2 hours in the morning all the power to you, but the average person that contributes to this country and is not just waiting to die might have something better to do at 6:45 then wait around for 2 hours. So I do think that the time that you show up at immigration to the time that you leave is the time it takes and not just the time at the counter.

The thing that you don't seem to realize that the main reason that you don't or haven't had any problems is because you are on the retirement visa which is the easiest to process and the requirements have not changed in many years . Marriage visas are the most difficult and require the most paperwork. Work visas for government institutions are second easiest but slightly more paperwork is needed for private institutions and companies.

If people complain or find Chiang Mai Immigration inefficient compared to others, what is wrong with that? I don't have much sympathy for people who do not have the correct paperwork or overstay on their visas. But for those that call immigration and ask exactly what is required and are given wrong information (which happens a lot) or if the requirements change without ample notice,then I think people have a right to complain. The requirements and paperwork for Non O marriage extensions have changed every year since 2004. People are often rejected because they don't have the right kind of photos of their family at their home. 3 years ago that wasn't a requirement at all.

However, in this thread I haven't read to much about people complaining or griping about Immigration policies. The OP was just inquiring about dates of Immigration for the Holiday and others are merely discussing the recent influx of people at immigration as a warning to go early and expect some delays. It hasn't seemed to me that anyone was complaining just merely pointing out facts. This past year CM immigration has had a large increase in its expat communities and an even larger increase in its legal migratory working force from Myanmar.

This past year CM immigration has had a large increase in its expat communities and an even larger increase in its legal migratory working force from Myanmar.

That's for sure and when I was there recently, I was amazed at the number of people with Burmese passports.

I guess with the currency decline, ex pats are leaving other places and looking for somewhere cheaper........or maybe it's a surge in culture seekers?

Edited by uptheos

This past year CM immigration has had a large increase in its expat communities and an even larger increase in its legal migratory working force from Myanmar.

That's for sure and when I was there recently, I was amazed at the number of people with Burmese passports.

I guess with the currency decline, ex pats are leaving other places and looking for somewhere cheaper........or maybe it's a surge in culture seekers?

No , I think its because its harder to get multiple touristvisas back to back , perhaps also

costwise its cheaper to extend it locally then travel abroad , so people choose to do it different , many more retirees , guess the babyboom generation is starting to kick in .

But the most indeed is not really the larger number of farang expats , but amazingly large groups of Asians , Japanese , Koreans Chinese and lots of Burmese .

From now on the 90 days only by post for me , did send it today for the first time , hope it goes well .

On another side note , perhaps the long lines could turn in our favor , hope they will do away with the report or only online or whatever , those officers must be in stress ,they did try to make its service better the last couple of years , the 90 days is not helping , so there might be a chance if nothing changes it will get worse , just got a feeling , they are not making any cash out of this and they might need the personel to do more important things ......

Edited by tijnebijn

Went there today for the 90 day check in. Arrived at 8.00 and there were already 70 odd people in front of me who had signed some unofficial piece of paper. Just luck that I saw it and signed my name there. Anyway got out within one and a half hours, on a Friday at that, so I am a happy man. Mind you there was a pretty big queue trailing out into the sunshine when I left. Can't help but think the place could be expanded. Seems like a good earner.

On another side note , perhaps the long lines could turn in our favor , hope they will do away with the report or only online or whatever , those officers must be in stress ,they did try to make its service better the last couple of years , the 90 days is not helping , so there might be a chance if nothing changes it will get worse , just got a feeling , they are not making any cash out of this and they might need the personel to do more important things ......

The only stress I ever see them in is if they are two minutes late for lunch.

Went yesterday afternoon (Monday) for the 90 day report, mainly because I found I had some extra time and thought it was worth a trip. I figured I could always return early today (Tuesday) if it was already full on Monday afternoon.

Arrived at 1:30 pm, out by 3 pm. Longest I've ever waited to do a 90 day report. The place was packed to the gills, as were the outside seats in front of the building. It was sweltering because various idiots kept leaving the door open, despite signs in English and Thai to close the door. The poor aircon didn't stand a chance. I listened to some young Aussie talking with a new-found friend in the row behind me. Every third word was the "f" word, and I'm not talking about farang. I finally gave up trying to read my magazine. He also brought his fully-loaded backpack with him, was dressed in rags and had body odor. I hope he remembered his manners when his turn finally arrived to talk to the officials about extending his stay in the kingdom. I didn't wait around long enough to see.

The 90 day report desk was fully staffed, with extra help. I was number 602 and they were at 500 when I arrived. So, they were processing them at the rate of one a minute. Not bad!

Edited by NancyL

<br />Oh for heavens' sake, why do these kinds of arguments always erupt in this particular forum? <br /><br />lets just drop the personal tit for tat argument.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

On this occasion I agree with you, and if I was Japanese I'd be, errr, very cross. Why did someone here tell just ONE nationality to go home so Immigration is less stressed??

I was there this morning at 8.15am for my '90 day' and there were 22 '90 day' people ahead of me when I got my ticket. Plus about 100 others, by the way. The ticket machine was manned (15 mins before the counter opened, please note) by an efficient young-ish man with excellent English.

Plenty time for me to do the photo copying, fill in the form, find that the coffee shop was closed (still closed when I left!) and I was 'processed' quickly and politely at 9.10am.

These people are doing a good job, deserve much more space and ALL of our patience and good manners.

Please keep this in mind when they re-open on Monday, because all of next week the place will be flooded. Take your tent.

You brag about being in an out in an hour every time for 6 years, but you even stated that above you arrived before 7 and were out after 9 making 2 1/2 hours not 1. Who is the one full of crap/rubbish. You condemn/criticize others and yet you yourself over estimate and brag and add nothing constructive.

Newbie, stop being so bitter and twisted and get a life. Out of there by 9.15 when they open at 8.30 constitutes 45 minutes to me, Time spent drinking coffee before 8.30 doesnt count, but lets not get pedantic. In 6 years I ve never had a problem at all. Know why? I do it right, copy all the papers, fill the forms, get there at the right time and on the right day. Thats it. It can be done!! A lot of the moaners, and you see/ hear them there every time you go is because they havent got it right, havent had the money in the bank long enough, havent got a form/ document they need etc etc.

Dont you think if you were a Foreigner in one of our home countries that you wouldnt have the same kind of bureaucracy? Of course you would!!

Obviously you are not counting your arrival time (0645) which would be 2.5 hours of waiting time :whistling:

Edited by Semper

<br />Oh for heavens' sake, why do these kinds of arguments always erupt in this particular forum? <br /><br />lets just drop the personal tit for tat argument.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

On this occasion I agree with you, and if I was Japanese I'd be, errr, very cross. Why did someone here tell just ONE nationality to go home so Immigration is less stressed??

I was there this morning at 8.15am for my '90 day' and there were 22 '90 day' people ahead of me when I got my ticket. Plus about 100 others, by the way. The ticket machine was manned (15 mins before the counter opened, please note) by an efficient young-ish man with excellent English.

Plenty time for me to do the photo copying, fill in the form, find that the coffee shop was closed (still closed when I left!) and I was 'processed' quickly and politely at 9.10am.

These people are doing a good job, deserve much more space and ALL of our patience and good manners.

Please keep this in mind when they re-open on Monday, because all of next week the place will be flooded. Take your tent.

It was a JOKE. Have you had a sense of humour bypass operation or have you never had one at all?!!!

In another thread there was a mention that when doing the 90 day report by post , the grace

period of 1 week does not apply ...also at CM immigration anyone ?

Thought it was fairly important information I did'nt read on this thread .

I have always done my 90 day report in person because I eat lunch not too far from Immigration but this thread beckoned a question. I was wondering if instead of mailing your letter, they allow you to drop the envelope off there and have them mail the tear off back to you. This would hopefully assure me that they got the envelope which of course would contain the return envelope.

I have always done my 90 day report in person because I eat lunch not too far from Immigration but this thread beckoned a question. I was wondering if instead of mailing your letter, they allow you to drop the envelope off there and have them mail the tear off back to you. This would hopefully assure me that they got the envelope which of course would contain the return envelope.

My only question on this "self delivery" is that you have no proof of delivery (signed for) by EMS or registered post, which might provide you evidence that you had complied with the posting requirements and thus show mitigating circumstances if you never received a reply. This may prevent immigration imposing a fine for late reporting.

As far as I am aware there is no difference on the 15 day before and seven day afterwards ruling of reporting by post or in person. But I stand to be corrected. I posted my application by EMS on Monday 11 April 2011 for a reporting date of the 15th April, which allows me until the 22nd of April (under the 7 day afterwards ruling). I am assured by the Thai post office that delivery of Ems is "Next day". I hope it will have arrived on the 12th April (next day). Even failing that, with immigration closure on the 13th, I hope it will arrive on the next working day of Monday the 18th April. I will soon find out.

And I will advise accordingly.

As far as I am aware there is no difference on the 15 day before and seven day afterwards ruling of reporting by post or in person. But I stand to be corrected.

It has been posted a few times by mods/admin in the Visa section that there is no seven day afterward when mailing the report.

From Immigration Bureau website

The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.

Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to ...

A couple of posts regarding this here and here. However, what Chiang Mai immigration allows may not be the same.

As far as I am aware there is no difference on the 15 day before and seven day afterwards ruling of reporting by post or in person. But I stand to be corrected.

It has been posted a few times by mods/admin in the Visa section that there is no seven day afterward when mailing the report.

From Immigration Bureau website

The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.

Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to ...

A couple of posts regarding this here and here. However, what Chiang Mai immigration allows may not be the same.

OK..So in your opinion, having read my post, what is your assessment of my chances of receiving a renewal without a fine, should my application be renewed after the 15th.?

1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  4. The notification must be made within 7 days before or after the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

This is the actual quotation from your website link.. I see nothing here to scare readers who have done the same as me. So I will wait to see how timmigration interpret my early posting of 6 days before actual date and a grace of 7 days thereafter.

Considering that since this ruling was made, the dates of application have changed and are NOW 15 days before and 7 days afterwards, I will await my fate and advise accordingly. After all there is nothing like the facts to help us move forward in our understanding of an ever changing world. But thank you for your input.

Edited by Raindancer