Jilted Mingkwan May Quit Pheu Thai Party After Thaksin Rebuke

Lite Beer

Jilted Mingkwan may quit Pheu Thai Party after Thaksin rebuke

By Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation on Sunday.

30152911-01.jpg

Mingkwan Sangsuwan, the opposition Pheu Thai Party's aspiring prime minister, is considering leaving the party after being rejected by Pheu Thai's de-facto leader Thaksin Shinawatra, according to sources close to Mingkwan.

The "last straw" for Mingkwan was Thaksin's remark during his phone call to a meeting of Pheu Thai MPs on Tuesday, which was interpreted as rebuking Mingkwan for his supposedly overzealous bid to become the party's prime ministerial candidate without Thaksin's stamp of approval.

During last month's censure debate, Mingkwan declared himself as Pheu Thai's candidate to contest the premiership with Democrat Party leader and current incumbent Abhisit Vejjajiva. However, Thaksin did not affirm Mingkwan's declaration, saying later instead that he would announce the party's PM candidate after dissolution of the House of Representatives. The ex-premier laid out the qualities a PM candidate must possess in a series of Twitter messages, prompting speculation he was promoting his businesswoman sister Yingluck Shinawatra for the premiership.

On Tuesday, self-exiled Thaksin phoned in during the Pheu Thai meeting and was quoted as saying, "Don't do too much cheering. You did so after being paid. Don't I have money too? Cheer too much and the party will be damaged. Don't think that when you cheer someone on to become prime minister, you will get appointed as Cabinet members." He was referring to Mingkwan's supporters among Pheu Thai MPs.

Thaksin, who is widely seen as pulling the strings behind Pheu Thai Party, said Mingkwan's nomination as PM candidate ahead of the censure debate was just part of "the first movie" that had already ended. "The second movie has not started yet," he said.

Mingkwan felt slighted and upset by Thaksin's latest remarks and confided with some people close to him about the possibility of leaving the party.

"My patience is running out. I have worked for him [Thaksin] a lot," a source close to Mingkwan quoted him as saying. "I did the censure debate although it's not what I am good at. I help collect funds for the party every month. I am just working to serve his benefit, but he takes me for granted. He was displeased and admonished me at the meeting."

Mingkwan, a marketing guru turned politician, had complained to businesspeople and politicians close to him about his growing frustration, according to another source, a senior Pheu Thai figure. Mingkwan's financial supporters also back the possibility of him forming a new political party, the source said, adding that dozens of incumbent party MPs could be expected to defect along with Mingkwan.

"In the past, there were times when Pheu Thai was on the brink of break-up, but every time Thaksin promised direct financial support to the MPs," a senior party figure said. "Everything in the party now depends on Thaksin alone. It appears the ongoing fight is for Thaksin to return to Thailand more than anything else."

However, some observers point out that the chances of a new political party surviving in today's tough political environment is small. Financial strength and incumbent MPs alone cannot guarantee an election victory - not to mention Mingkwan's relative lack of political experience and charisma. Many of Pheu Thai's incumbent MPs may have second thoughts about defecting to face an uncertain future. And if they have to choose between Mingkwan and friends, and Thaksin & Co, the answer may be clear in their mind.

Thaksin, who is in self-exile overseas to avoid a jail term at home for a conflict of interest conviction, is reportedly not doing well in his mining business in Africa and his investments in Montenegro. Also, there is conflict between Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Potjaman na Pombejra and his sisters over running the family business.

However, Thaksin still retains much influence and bargaining power with Pheu Thai. With the party now in election mode, his bargaining power has increased tremendously. Pheu Thai's incumbent MPs will have to rely on his popularity - particularly among voters in the North and Northeast - to win the upcoming election, and the chance of them defecting to another party is limited. "We can't move to other parties because all are considered political enemies," a senior party figure said.

Despite growing displeasure and resentment among certain party elements about his style of running the party, Thaksin's recent moves have confirmed his status as de-facto leader and sent a message to any sceptics that he's still the "big boss"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-10

"Don't do too much cheering. You did so after being paid. Don't I have money too ?"

A clear statement of DL's view, on how his "true democracy" works, in his twisted view of the world. :bah:

"Don't think that when you cheer someone on to become prime minister, you will get appointed as Cabinet members"

Very reminiscent of his previous pre-election threat, to cut off state-funds & investment from any province, which failed to vote for TRT. :realangry:

Is it any wonder that so many educated & democratic farangs find something distasteful, about the way this rabble-rouser operates, while recognising that he did at-least make the poor a more-important political-issue, in his early years.

One can only hope that Mingkwan's supporters, and the electorate in general, recognise that supporting this man is not in their long-term interests, and take appropriate action. B)

Mingkwan invested and raised a lot of money for the party. Now he finds unless you are a blood relative, a lying propaganda mouthpiece who advocates ultra-violence or have masters hand firmly embedded in you or are permanently on your knees like most MPs then you are nothing in masters party. And yet still he leaks that he is unhappy hoping for the kind of dose of hapiness that Chalerm got after he was humiliated

A lesson in realpolitik

"Thaksin, who is in self-exile overseas to avoid a jail term at home...."

BS ...he is on the run, that's all. I'm surprised that Dubai still allow him to be political active, even they already warned him not to do so. Seems that his money is welcome there as well.

fatfather

During last month's censure debate, Mingkwan declared himself as Pheu Thai's candidate to contest the premiership with Democrat Party leader and current incumbent Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Apparently I was under the mistaken belief that Mingkwan was supposed to be an intelligent person. How could he have made such stupid declarations without prior explicit permission from the Pheu Thai Party Owner?

"My patience is running out. I have worked for him [Thaksin] a lot," a source close to Mingkwan quoted him as saying. "I did the censure debate although it's not what I am good at. I help collect funds for the party every month. I am just working to serve his benefit, but he takes me for granted. He was displeased and admonished me at the meeting."

Welcome to Thaksin's World, Mingkwan. That all of this comes as some sort of surprise to him speaks to his naivety.

Mingkwan, a marketing guru turned politician

It's become glaringly obvious that Mingkwan should have stuck with marketing. Or at least chosen a Party that is not dominated by a megalomaniac.

Mingkwan's financial supporters also back the possibility of him forming a new political party, the source said, adding that dozens of incumbent party MPs could be expected to defect along with Mingkwan.

Probably his best option. He has hundreds of millions in his own declared assets so should be able to afford it. Either that, or if he's determined to stick with Pheu Thai Party, marry the similarly single Yingluck and be satisfied with being First Gentleman as the spouse of the PM, if they win.

Edited by Buchholz

Thankfully the Thaksin supporters, even the die hards, seem to find it hard to defend his recent bizarre behavior.

The political whores like Thaksin because of the money and power that flows their way. When that stops flowing, the whore in them looks elsewhere. Mingkwan out, Sanoh in. 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Abhisit will be the next winner because he's the only choice that doesn't smell like old fish.

Financial strength and incumbent MPs alone cannot guarantee an election victory - not to mention Mingkwan's relative lack of political experience and charisma.

That's true... best if he sticks with Plan B above and marry into the family.

there is conflict between Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Potjaman na Pombejra and his sisters over running the family business.

rut roh... first we've heard of this. :unsure:

Despite growing displeasure and resentment among certain party elements about his style of running the party, Thaksin's recent moves have confirmed his status as de-facto leader and sent a message to any sceptics that he's still the "big boss"

Should come as no surprise. It's been Standard Operating Procedure for the past decade (plus).

Well much to think on here.

Pojamin fighting with Yingluck and Yowawapa...hmmmm,

sounds like they were told to stick it to the ex wife by big brother,

seems she hasn't been doing enough for the family enterprise, step up loudly for the new political game a foot.

Or simply hasn't been getting her expected share of the spoils and is not amused by this. Oh sorry dear, we need your cash for the big fight to make me the biggest man again.

Thaksin's history is filled with people used till they are no longer useful and then discarded, Minkwan is just the latest. And Potjamin seems to be losing stature, mother of the heirs or not. And with Thaksin the moment you don't do his bidding he turns on you with the vengeance of one who is jilted. The woman scorned, in love and especially business.

The historical actions of an amoral, megalomaniac.

His symptoms always seem to get worse under pressure, so we can hope that the pressures of a close political race, and the defections of several larger players he has slighted, will make him slip, and say something unrecoverable, or act as rashly as he has periodically in the past. His worst enemy, bar none, is himself.

Thai politics is filled with those who get second chances almost no mater what they have done and who they have harmed back when, and this may make switching sides just a normal maneuver that will be forgotten in 5 years if they are needed again. a la Sanoh.

But then again Thaksin tends to have an elephants memory for anything above a simple slight and always puts the tongs to those who have ' turned on him' Why can't more remember this?

Lets hope Minkwans situation pulls more than a few other MPS away

from their wacko leaders clutches, more than enough top make Sanoh

seem like a statistical blimp.

Thaksins mono-mainia and insistence on 'poke your own eye out' blind obedience seems to be more and more making the whores grow some balls or at least brains.

How many more will bail, who knows, but possibly Minkwan has not been so divisive with the other parties he would not be unwelcome in another, and if he goes and a good sized block follows him, then Thaksin has again shot his foot, just as he did with Newin. Seems his ego trumps his common sense political skills all too often.

Edited by animatic

It just shows how dozy Mingkwan and others like him are for taking so long to realise that they are nothing but gofers in Thaksin's strategy, but at least a slow understanding is better than none at all. For that you would have to look at one or two of the universities.

Seems like some Pheua Thai members are still not comprehending that their party is Thaksin's personal instrument just as much as Thai Rak Thai was. If His Excellency Thaksin does not want a certain person as a PM candidate, then so be it. Instead they act like little children and threaten to lave the party. Who cares? Thaksin? As long as the man pulls all the strings from self-imposed exile and the majority of other MPs are his willing lapdogs nobody lifts an eyebrow if one or another party member defects to another party. By the way: that is what Thai politicians are doing anyway all the time.

This is the Nation's version of events. The nation is not a supporter of Pheu Thai.

I note that other media columnists do not have the same interpretation of the events.

It is like asking the candidate of a political party to discuss his/her opponent. The candidate i not going to provide the most flattering of statements.

It just shows how dozy Mingkwan and others like him are for taking so long to realise that they are nothing but gofers in Thaksin's strategy, but at least a slow understanding is better than none at all. For that you would have to look at one or two of the universities.

Have to agree here. I am always amazed how so many red supporters think they can simply ride Thaksin's coattails to get what they want out of the movement. They act like Thaksin would actually be grateful for their support and throw them a bone now and then. Only belatedly will they realize Thaksin cares only about Thaksin, and the red movement is nothing more than his personal chariot to return to power. What they want is totally irrelevant.

As time goes on, more and more will defect from the red swindle, but it will take hurting each one of them personally in order that they remove their blinders and see the truth. Let's hope Minkwan has finally seen the light, and doesn't again return to the red den of iniquity.

• 3 weeks later...

Mingkwan, Sanoh in secret talks over new party

BANGKOK, 27 April 2011 (NNT) – Pheu Thai MP Mingkwan Saengsuwan and Pracharaj Party Leader Sanoh Thienthong have reportedly met to discuss the possibility of forming a new political party of their own.

As political parties have been in a frenzy over the upcoming general election, a secret meeting has been arranged between Mr Mingkwan and Mr Sanoh over the possible establishment of a new party, which could also involve former Pheu Thai Party Chairman General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh.

The name of the party could come under an economic concept, such as New Economy Party, and would uphold Mr Mingkwan as its prime minister candidate.

Over ten Pheu Thai MPs, who have close relations with General Chavalit, are expected to defect to the new party.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-04-27 footer_n.gif

Edited by Buchholz

Mingkwan, Sanoh in secret talks over new party

BANGKOK, 27 April 2011 (NNT) – Pheu Thai MP Mingkwan Saengsuwan and Pracharaj Party Leader Sanoh Thienthong have reportedly met to discuss the possibility of forming a new political party of their own.

As political parties have been in a frenzy over the upcoming general election, a secret meeting has been arranged between Mr Mingkwan and Mr Sanoh over the possible establishment of a new party, which could also involve former Pheu Thai Party Chairman General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh.

The name of the party could come under an economic concept, such as New Economy Party, and would uphold Mr Mingkwan as its prime minister candidate.

Over ten Pheu Thai MPs, who have close relations with General Chavalit, are expected to defect to the new party.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-04-27 footer_n.gif

Well, that's not such bad news. Any alternative to the PTP (Praise Thaksin Party) is a welcome change. I hope they have the guts to break away and get things organized. That would put a cat among the pigeons and make life for DL more interesting.

I think it's time for a separate thread on the 'Election Law' and it's finer details. Like:

- what conditions does a political party need to fulfill in order to be able to participate ?

- what conditions apply to a possible MP candidate and his/her membership to a political party?

Must a party exist BEFORE the House is dissolved? Before new elections are fixed (i.e. date allocated) ? Must a candidate be a member for a minimum amount of time? Etc., etc.

If this is a " Secret Meeting" then how come we all know about it?

I'm all for anything that whittles down the potentiality of Thaksin taking control. When PTP gets banned for aggressive cheating, but has no Executive Board to ban, Just replace it with a 'truth in advertising' party name like: CST Chinese Screw Thais party aka JYT Jin Yet Thai party. It would be more accurate and truer to the reality...

Edited by animatic

Have to agree here. I am always amazed how so many red supporters think they can simply ride Thaksin's coattails to get what they want out of the movement. They act like Thaksin would actually be grateful for their support and throw them a bone now and then. Only belatedly will they realize Thaksin cares only about Thaksin, and the red movement is nothing more than his personal chariot to return to power. What they want is totally irrelevant.

You could replace the name Thaksin with any random Thai politician currently in office or thinking about "running" for office and it would be the same situation. They're all corrupt and into it for their own enrichment.

Regarding news report that some Pheu Thai MPs would defect to other parties, Pheu Thai Party Deputy Leader Plodprasop responded that all MPs had reported themselves to the party already, except Party-listed MP Mingkwan Saengsuwan.

28 April 2011 (NNT)

http://thainews.prd....id=255404280012

Who conveniently was never sent the SMS message to show up and report.

The other paper has PTP issuing an ultimatum to Mingkwan.... swear his allegiance to the Party or be disowned.

Swear fealty to the liege lord Thaksin or go to the swamps for good.

Let's call a spade a spade.

Edited by animatic

Regarding news report that some Pheu Thai MPs would defect to other parties, Pheu Thai Party Deputy Leader Plodprasop responded that all MPs had reported themselves to the party already, except Party-listed MP Mingkwan Saengsuwan.

28 April 2011 (NNT)

http://thainews.prd....id=255404280012

Who conveniently was never sent the SMS message to show up and report.

To compare with:

"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning

office for the last nine month."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see

them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your

way to call attention to them had you? I mean like actually

telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find

them."

"That's the display department."

"With a torch."