Bruno'S Wine Dinner -

laban

I went to Bruno's restaurant last night with friends on reccommendation that their wine dinners were very good.

Food was passable to say the least - crabmeat and prawn starter worth 30 B, veal cheeks ravioli which tasted of nothing, followed by a reasonable steak accompanied with 20 grams of potatoes followed by desert.

Wines were all from Chile and Austarlia andfinihed off with a Cinzano Gran Dolce (cheap and undrinkable). I looked up the Yali Chilean wines which were nothing special, and bottles are worth 7 USD, so Fredi the chef must have made a killing on last night's full house, price per head was a mere 2500 Baht.

I shan't be returning for wine dinners or anything else.

Bruno must be turning in his grave, it used to be THE BEST restaurant in town!

in all fairness, a 7 Dollar wine costs you in Thailand 20 Dollar in the supermarket. Just the nature of the beast with import duties etc...Still, a wine in that category would hardly make it on a fine wining and dining menu in traditional wine countries.

Once a week is our steak night. We go to foodland and get two 450 gram (YES we're carnivors) air-freight Australian Rib Eye steak (950 baht) and sometimes if we feel like a surf and turf we also bought 4 giant tiger prawns (300 baht). Pick a decent bottle of the wine of your choice (700 baht). Make our own delicious butter and cream mashed potato and a side dish or salad.

We enjoy our meal out on the balcony with the beautiful view of the sea and city. All this we can also do in the comfort of our boxer shorts which would no doubt cause quite a stir at Bruno's :lol:

Less money, bigger portions of excellent quality food in the comfort of our own home. Of course the dirty dishes are awaiting us in the a.m. :realangry:

Once a week is our steak night. We go to foodland and get two 450 gram (YES we're carnivors) air-freight Australian Rib Eye steak (950 baht) and sometimes if we feel like a surf and turf we also bought 4 giant tiger prawns (300 baht). Pick a decent bottle of the wine of your choice (700 baht). Make our own delicious butter and cream mashed potato and a side dish or salad.

We enjoy our meal out on the balcony with the beautiful view of the sea and city. All this we can also do in the comfort of our boxer shorts which would no doubt cause quite a stir at Bruno's :lol:

Less money, bigger portions of excellent quality food in the comfort of our own home. Of course the dirty dishes are awaiting us in the a.m. :realangry:

Sound's great. Now what day dose this occur and what time. Dont want to be late. Oh and my steak rare please. Butter and cream potato's, delish, I'm salivating now. N/B. I'll bring the wife so that'll sort out the washing up. Edited by fredob43

Have to agree. Bruno's is a restaurant best left alone. The menu is quite traditional and boring, but they don't even do the uninspired meals they offer particularly well. Gave them a second chance quite recently, but will not be back anymore.

WB

In reply to Terrychris, the service was OK, they seem to be short staffed and a bit overwhelmed by being full. All the old waiters from the original Bruno's have left and now run places like Cherry's and Alois. It is much better at Mata Hari and Gian's (to mention some of the upmarket eateries) never mind the 5 star hotels.

In reply to Terrychris, the service was OK, they seem to be short staffed and a bit overwhelmed by being full. All the old waiters from the original Bruno's have left and now run places like Cherry's and Alois. It is much better at Mata Hari and Gian's (to mention some of the upmarket eateries) never mind the 5 star hotels.

Very true...see all my old Brunos server friends at Cherry's now...food is just about as good [as the "old Brunos"] and at 1/3 to 1/2 the price...it's a steal.

Brunos was never really the same after they moved from their original North Pattaya location.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Very true...see all my old Brunos server friends at Cherry's now...food is just about as good [as the "old Brunos"] and at 1/3 to 1/2 the price...it's a steal.

Sorry to disagree with the above... the price is OK, but the quality of food isn't. Whatever seasoning they used in the mashed potato is horrible - it's difficult to srew up mashed potato, but the meat is decent for the price and the salad bar is also OK. This is the reason we stay home and prepare our own meal. Better, cheaper although granted it does take a little work

Sound's great. Now what day dose this occur and what time. Dont want to be late. Oh and my steak rare please. Butter and cream potato's, delish, I'm salivating now. N/B. I'll bring the wife so that'll sort out the washing up.

Hah :lol: - sure!! If you are a pensioner, it's free :lol::lol: - We do have a dish washer, so your wife doesn't need to lift a finger.

Without doubt the best restaurant in Pattaya is Au Bon Coin. Packed every night

Second Bordeaux

Third Infiniti

Was going to try Brunos but it seems it is as I thought it might be a non place

Pity there is not a good upmarket Indian. Indian by Nature is always empty, overpriced and cant tell the difference between any of the curry dishes. The dont appear to have an Indian chef,

We also like Royal Grill Room and Wine Cellar at the Royal Cliff - you can get either:

Australian Tenderloin of Beef Madagascar flambeed with brandy at your table (850 baht)

Or Australian Tenderoin of Beef with Giant Tiger Prawn (850 baht)

With appetizer, wine, and dessert - it will cost you less than 2000 baht/person - better and more relaxing atmosphere/ambiance, less of a zoo, more attentive waiter(s) and no attitude B) and oh the life piano entertainment ain't that bad either.

Sound's great. Now what day dose this occur and what time. Dont want to be late. Oh and my steak rare please. Butter and cream potato's, delish, I'm salivating now. N/B. I'll bring the wife so that'll sort out the washing up.

Hah :lol: - sure!! If you are a pensioner, it's free :lol::lol: - We do have a dish washer, so your wife doesn't need to lift a finger.

I'm very very very old. And a dish washer A say no more. Just one small problem with that it would confuse the good lady she is Thai, dont you know. Got her an auto washing machine and if took her 4 month's to master that. Ok I'll leave her at home...........Right what day is it.???? Edited by fredob43

the only acceptable restaurant/food that lures my away from my cook and dining room is the dinner buffet in the Hilton, 800 Baht on friday's with focus on seafood, 700 Baht on other days.

when i compare what is offered there with Royal Cliff, Sheraton, Bruno's, Mata Hari and Mantra my comments are... sorry chaps! i nearly forgot that my late mother told me not to use obscene words.

:lol:

the only acceptable restaurant/food that lures my away from my cook and dining room is the dinner buffet in the Hilton, 800 Baht on friday's with focus on seafood, 700 Baht on other days.

when i compare what is offered there with Royal Cliff, Sheraton, Bruno's, Mata Hari and Mantra my comments are... sorry chaps! i nearly forgot that my late mother told me not to use obscene words.

We will have to give it a try... we've been to the brunch buffet two times and both times we were quite impressed - at 300 baht (mon thru sat only) it's a bargain and a half. The only problem is that we tend to eat too much at buffets :-) and feel very guilty afterwards.

We will have to give it a try... we've been to the brunch buffet two times and both times we were quite impressed - at 300 baht (mon thru sat only) it's a bargain and a half. The only problem is that we tend to eat too much at buffets :-) and feel very guilty afterwards.

i know what you are talking about <_< i avoid loading too much on the plate and rather make several passes.

Sure glad the TG can't read Thai Visa, she thinks that I am hi-so when I make spaghetti on Monday night and open a bottle of Every Day Red as we dine on our balcony overlooking the Center Condo parking lot ;)

• Like 1

[/quote

I will give it a try next week. I love seafood and so does my gal. Can u give me an idea of what they have?

Can u give me an idea of what they have?

you name it, they have it! chilled, room temperature, grilled, fried, spicy, bland... try! you won't be disappointed. and if you see a chap on friday wearing white trousers, a black t-shirt and white hair tell him you are "Tolley" and i will invite you to have a drink with me :lol:

addendum: i meant this friday. next friday i will dine in KL.

Edited by Naam

Can u give me an idea of what they have?

you name it, they have it! chilled, room temperature, grilled, fried, spicy, bland... try! you won't be disappointed. and if you see a chap on friday wearing white trousers, a black t-shirt and white hair tell him you are "Tolley" and i will invite you to have a drink with me :lol:

addendum: i meant this friday. next friday i will dine in KL.

It will be next Friday the 22nd as I don't want to be in Pattaya during the madness.

A lot of these so-called "fine dining" establishments wouldn't cut it in the west.

That's why they are in a blue-collar tourist town in Asia where they can fool punters used to KFC-level food.

Beats me why people go to "upscale" places serving $7 Chilean plonk with a "wine dinner".

Edited by johnnyk

Try Alois, all the old staff of Bruno's, excellent service, virtually identical menu to Bruno's and all for a fraction of the price, you wont be disapointed.

H & H

Was cutting through soi Happy Inn in Naklua (during the day so no funny stuff going on...really) and noticed there is an "Alois 2" located in that soi. I guess it's related to Alois over on the hill so apparently they have two locations. Must be doing really well.

Edited by FarangBuddha