Paying For New British Passport

Howdy

I need get a new British passport, my current one is now full.

I have no credit card but do have a be1st debit card. The website says that I can pay with a debit card with a visa sign on it (which mine has) but with this being Thailand, I really wanted to check.

Has anybody paid for theirs with a Bangkok Bank be1st debit card?

Thanks

If your Bangkok bank debit card has a chip on it, you cannot make any purchases card holder not present - CDNP, the old debit card without a chip has limited CDNP but you will have to set it up via phone banking, You can still get the old card from any branch in the city where you opened the account.

Thailand is very security concious of CDNP transactions because not like in the UK if someone uses your card information without your consent you can get the money back from your bank, but in Thailand there is no such protection. If someone steals your money you will never get it back. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

From the regional passport office in Hong Kong

How to pay

You will need to pay the exact fee (passport fee(s) plus return delivery charge) either by credit card using the credit card form, or by International Banker's Draft, payable in Hong Kong Dollars (HK$) to "British Consulate-General Hong Kong". We only accept debit cards which have either the Mastercard or Visa symbol, as usually these can be processed as payment by credit card. No other debit cards are accepted. Please note that if paying by credit card, the payment will be taken in Hong Kong dollars at the prevailing rate when your application is received. Your credit card company may charge an additional fee for this. We do not accept payment by personal cheque.

-----------------------------------------

If I was you I would get a Bankers Draft in HK$ I am sure HSBC would be able to issue one in Bangkok and also many large branches of any major bank should be able to do the same, this would be your best option, do you really want to take the risk of your debit card not working, because Bangkok bank also used verified by Visa, and this wouldn't be available for this type of transaction.

I hope this helps.

I tried with SCB debit card - did not work. but............ what it achieved was a response from uk passport office in Hong Kong with a direct name & email address. This got me out of having to pay OVER 80p per minute to call them through an expensive outsoure company and could therefore 'track' progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

So can anyone tell me how quickly a new passport can arrive? do they still have a fast track system where you pay a little extra and its done quickly? or is it really a 4 week wait?

I have run out of pages on my passport and only have 15 days left on the visa. what is the best way around this?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

My wife just done her passport, you dont need to send by DHL as we sent hers by EMS.

The reason for this is that there is no DHL in hua hin.

They had the money out of my visa account within 5 days but it took just over 4 weeks to get the passport back.

Be aware that they have outsourced all passport handling to a company called Careline, this means if you want to find out where and how much longer your passport will take to arrive you will need a credit card.

Careline will not talk to you if you dont give them your credit card details and I think the charge is 69pence per minuite with a suggested call time of 4 mins.

TTM

Has anybody tried using the Kasikorn Shopping Card? I know it's designed for internet use, but it has a credit card number, CVV number and expiry date.

I can confirm that it does work as I renewed my passport last month. I have used the (virtual) K-Bank card for many online purchases as well. Airline tickets, Ebay, Amazon etc

Has anybody tried using the Kasikorn Shopping Card? I know it's designed for internet use, but it has a credit card number, CVV number and expiry date.

Yup, I sent my application off to Hong Kong on the 7th April and they debited through my K Cyber Card on the 12th April. No issue.

That's great, thanks very much. I asked Kasikorn - but they didn't know :annoyed: