webfact

FESTIVE SEASON

29 killed on first day of Songkran

By Wattana Khamchoo,

Kwandao Jitpana

The Nation

30153115-01.jpg

Deaths and 400 injuries still less compared to road toll last year

Twentynine people have been killed and 400 injured in road accidents on the first of the socalled seven dangerous days of Songkran, with Nonthaburi, Ayutthaya and Prachuap Khiri Khan leading in the number of fatalities, according a report from the Road Safety Centre (RSC) yesฌterday.

The number of casualties are fewer compared to the same period last year - deaths have dropped by around 35.5 per cent and injuries decreased by 34.5 per cent. The total number of road accidents had also dropped to 365 from 557, Interior permanent secretary Vichien Chavalit told the press when announcing the RSC report.

Nonthaburi, Ayutthaya and Prachuap Khiri Khan each recorded three deaths, the highest so far. Nakhon Si Thammarat had the most accidents at 22, followed by Chiang Rai (20) and Surin (18). Chiang Rai also recorded the highest number of injuries at 22, Vichien said.

Driving under the influence of alcohol remains one of the major causes of accidents at 30.1 per cent, followed by speeding at 20 per cent. Up to 83.2 per cent of the accidents involved motorcycles and the mishaps usually occurred between 4pm and 8pm, he said.

This year's seven dangerous days of Songkran began on Monday and will run until Sunday. RSC started issuing a daily report on road accidents yesterday.

The fatalities this year include two men who failed to wear their helmets when riding a motorcycle up the Doi Inthanon Mountain and died from severe head injuries when their bike slid on the slippery road.

Vichien added that RSC expected an influx of people on the roads on Sunday, and that the highway and local police officers would open special lanes for traffic flow and safety. Strict checks will be conducted on drivers of public buses to see if they have been taking drugs or drinking, especially those who cover a route longer than 400km.

"RSC records show that drunk driving is usually the major cause of road accidents on the first day of Songkran [every year], so authorities will keep an eye on the roads and risky behaviour by motorists and those splashing water," he said.

As the member of a committee following up on the roadsafety campaign in the South, Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam said many highways and community roads were damaged after the floods had receded. Therefore, he said, notices should be put up informing motorists of the damaged parts of the roads to prevent accidents.

Local authorities in all regions of the country are actively promoting roadsafety campaigns. In Pattaya, police put up checkpoints to conduct breath alcohol tests among motorists.

Checkpoints were also set up in Narathiwat Municipality to stop drunk driving, and encourage motorists to use safety belts and helmets. Police in Ubon Ratchathani joined a motorcycle parade to promote helmets and the obedience of traffic laws.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-13

Awesome! Let's show a picture of someone dead, their body imbedded in someone's windshield.

Thai people have absolutely no respect for the dead or their families.

I am sure that is the last image they want of their loved ones, plastered all over the news with limbs missing and a caved in skull. Nice job retards.

Awesome! Let's show a picture of someone dead, their body imbedded in someone's windshield.

I am sure that is the last image they want of their loved ones, plastered all over the news with limbs missing and a caved in skull. Nice job retards.

don't forget the cop who is smiling and thinks it's funny!

Now, now.... EOD has been here for a 9 months and a whole 22 posts so just like the more mature, more jaded, more pontifical TV'ers, is fully entitled to make silly mistakes, jump to conclusions and start name-calling and bashing the locals.

A good reminder of the serious side of Songkran, however, i just cannot get my head around what on earth The Nation was thinking with regards to the photograph.

The photograph is just to remind Thai drivers to wear their Safety helmets at all times while driving their car..!! and their shoes..!!

A good reminder of the serious side of Songkran, however, i just cannot get my head around what on earth The Nation was thinking with regards to the photograph.

It's called the fear factor. In Hawaii and some other places in the states the high schools for Graduation will put a mangled car in front of the school to remind the young adults not to drink and drive. I have seen it here in Chiangmai as well but with a fake person bloody and mangled. it is just to scare ie. fear factor. Question is does it deter the people from drinking and driving?

Areas to play song cran should be provided.Not on the roads...Saw someone dead last night in Chiang rai.Motor bike hit by car...no I dont know if any one was drunk but I expect so..10 pm. ..Someones child dead!!!!!!....For sure more to follow...If you have kids keep them back from the side of the road if you have to let them play..Stay safe.

"The fatalities this year include two men who failed to wear their helmets when riding a motorcycle up the Doi Inthanon Mountain and died from severe head injuries when their bike slid on the slippery road"

But surely that could happen any day of the week!

Would be interesting to know what the statistics are for a 'normal' week for road accidents and deaths are?

Total of 59 Deaths So Far During Songkran Holiday

In the "7 Dangerous Days" campaign during the Songkran holiday, a total of 59 deaths have resulted from road accidents. Authorities are reporting that 893 accidents have caused 976 injuries.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-04-13

footer_n.gif

Congratulations, Jackwagon, you're the first to make an ass of yourself by judging and condemning Thai cultural standards, and you're wrong to boot! It was a recreation to remind young Thais that drunk driving kills. I saw a lot of footage of gristly accidents when I was applying for my driving license. Stop thinking that you are so superior to the country that we all love, and allows us foreigners to be here.

Would be interesting to know what the statistics are for a 'normal' week for road accidents and deaths are?

I agree. Just HOW MUCH more (if any) are these stats over a normal day? If only 1 or 2 then it is not NEWS and should not be recorded as such.

"The fatalities this year include two men who failed to wear their helmets when riding a motorcycle up the Doi Inthanon Mountain and died from severe head injuries when their bike slid on the slippery road"

Well well well, here we go again, How many cities in Thailand------how many towns------head villages---and villages. total all of them up. Now divide the deaths into the number. Are the stats/figures telling me thats all that died. Bkk 10 mil--Korat 1-K.Khen-1mil-Udon 1mil-Pattaya god knows-Chiang mai 1mil. and the rest. SORRY I don't believe. 2 died in Bkk-1 in every other large city-and so on, my averages are out ..I know as I,m not a google person. If I take my town area and multiply it by hundreds, again it's not adding up. Think what you like I'm not buying it. happy holiday !!

Edited by ginjag

It's called the fear factor. In Hawaii and some other places in the states the high schools for Graduation will put a mangled car in front of the school to remind the young adults not to drink and drive. I have seen it here in Chiangmai as well but with a fake person bloody and mangled. it is just to scare ie. fear factor. Question is does it deter the people from drinking and driving?

Yep, They did that at my old high school and college in california. but there were no laughing policeman around so that everyone would get the idea was all a joke ermm.gif

Here's a story about how highway deaths have dropped in the US.....

http://news.yahoo.co..._highway_deaths

Edited by Netfan

Yep how crazy not giving each Policeman a can of beer to really make that party spirit, what were they thinking!!

Well well well, here we go again, How many cities in Thailand------how many towns------head villages---and villages. total all of them up. Now divide the deaths into the number. Are the stats/figures telling me thats all that died. Bkk 10 mil--Korat 1-K.Khen-1mil-Udon 1mil-Pattaya god knows-Chiang mai 1mil. and the rest. SORRY I don't believe. 2 died in Bkk-1 in every other large city-and so on, my averages are out ..I know as I,m not a google person. If I take my town area and multiply it by hundreds, again it's not adding up. Think what you like I'm not buying it. happy holiday !!

The number that is usually banded around with regards to the number of deaths by traffic incidents is about 40 per day, so,no, I am not buying it either.

Yep how crazy not giving each Policeman a can of beer to really make that party spirit, what were they thinking!!

And some of these............

post-15958-0-70714800-1302666875_thumb.j

The pic probably is a reconstruction. See the officers how smiling :lol:

You are so right on target...the policemen are smiling and I am sure it is a Reconstruction like you see....thanks for the Awesome comment..

Sorry to insult your awesome intelligence, mate! :whistling:

I'm always amused by the "numbers" given out by Thai authorities, especially those relating to tourism and deaths from traffic accidents. A little research online will the first one has been "padded" to make the country look better, while the second one has been "adjusted" to make it look as if the authorities are actually doing something, when we all know that's a joke.

Thailand has as many, and in some cases, more laws in regards to traffic than many other countries. The problem, however, is two fold. First, people for the most part either aren't aware of what they are, or know and just blatantly ignore them. Second is the total lack of enforcement by the police, who are much more interested in lining their pockets than actually enforcing the law. I can't even count the number of times I've seen one of "Thailand's Finest" standing on a street corner, seemingly totally oblivious to the 3-4 under aged, no helmet wearing kids crammed on one bike.

It's unfortunate that for just one week of the year - Songkran - they make a big deal out of drinking, driving, and road safety, while the other 51 weeks it's "mai pen rai" and business as usual.