29 Killed On First Day Of Songkran

webfact

The number that is usually banded around with regards to the number of deaths by traffic incidents is about 40 per day, so,no, I am not buying it either.

agree, the average over the last 15 years or so is at around 35 death from road accidents per day. That would mean with only 30 per day so far during songkran, it's actually saver to drive during songkran period than on a normal day?????

Interesting...

Happy Thai New Year to all of you!

Awesome! Let's show a picture of someone dead, their body imbedded in someone's windshield.

Thai people have absolutely no respect for the dead or their families.

I am sure that is the last image they want of their loved ones, plastered all over the news with limbs missing and a caved in skull. Nice job retards.

Come on! Be fair! They censor exposed nipples or breasts!

R

I'm always amused by the "numbers" given out by Thai authorities, especially those relating to tourism and deaths from traffic accidents. A little research online will the first one has been "padded" to make the country look better, while the second one has been "adjusted" to make it look as if the authorities are actually doing something, when we all know that's a joke.

Thailand has as many, and in some cases, more laws in regards to traffic than many other countries. The problem, however, is two fold. First, people for the most part either aren't aware of what they are, or know and just blatantly ignore them. Second is the total lack of enforcement by the police, who are much more interested in lining their pockets than actually enforcing the law. I can't even count the number of times I've seen one of "Thailand's Finest" standing on a street corner, seemingly totally oblivious to the 3-4 under aged, no helmet wearing kids crammed on one bike.

It's unfortunate that for just one week of the year - Songkran - they make a big deal out of drinking, driving, and road safety, while the other 51 weeks it's "mai pen rai" and business as usual.

Good written post and I totally agree , have nothing to add.

Edited by tijnebijn

UPDATE

2nd day in 7 danger days for road accidents during Songkran saw 59 deaths, 976 people injured in 893 road accidents /TAN_Network

Dig through the statistics that have been massaged and realise that this means 59 actually dead on the ground at the site of the accident.

What is far more significant is the (almost) 1,000 others that had accidents that were serious enough for police attention in two days. Apart from this speaking volumes by itself, a percentage if these will no doubt have died later in hospital - but they don't count as being a 'road traffic fatality'.

R

I'm always amused by the "numbers" given out by Thai authorities, especially those relating to tourism and deaths from traffic accidents. A little research online will the first one has been "padded" to make the country look better, while the second one has been "adjusted" to make it look as if the authorities are actually doing something, when we all know that's a joke.

Thailand has as many, and in some cases, more laws in regards to traffic than many other countries. The problem, however, is two fold. First, people for the most part either aren't aware of what they are, or know and just blatantly ignore them. Second is the total lack of enforcement by the police, who are much more interested in lining their pockets than actually enforcing the law. I can't even count the number of times I've seen one of "Thailand's Finest" standing on a street corner, seemingly totally oblivious to the 3-4 under aged, no helmet wearing kids crammed on one bike.

It's unfortunate that for just one week of the year - Songkran - they make a big deal out of drinking, driving, and road safety, while the other 51 weeks it's "mai pen rai" and business as usual.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I did notice pictures like that in the paper before songkran, but in regards to it (my thai reading is still shakey), so I think its a dramatization. but it is good that numbers are down since last year... even if they are still high

A good reminder of the serious side of Songkran, however, i just cannot get my head around what on earth The Nation was thinking with regards to the photograph.

It's called the fear factor. In Hawaii and some other places in the states the high schools for Graduation will put a mangled car in front of the school to remind the young adults not to drink and drive. I have seen it here in Chiangmai as well but with a fake person bloody and mangled. it is just to scare ie. fear factor. Question is does it deter the people from drinking and driving?

Should be more of it, place pictures of the mangled taxi vans and bodies around where they sell the tickets and then introduce the death penalty for drivers of these when they kill people then hang the pictures of the excecutions of the drivers beside them --- if they ever do anything about them.

Awesome! Let's show a picture of someone dead, their body imbedded in someone's windshield.

I am sure that is the last image they want of their loved ones, plastered all over the news with limbs missing and a caved in skull. Nice job retards.

With all respect of the ppl who die in accident ore criminal matters i will just say that all pictures of the "Action" also have ppl to think and actualey see with there own eyes what happend IF they invoplve with criminals and also when ppl drink & drive !

I do believe that many ppl also avoid lets say Pattaya when the read and see what happend there ,many killing,stabbing,robbery yeah u know,and less tourist the moor goverment act to prevent the bad rumers.........

And dont forget pictures tells moore than just reading headlines...

AND !! You dont need to look at the photos you dont even need to read the Npaper.

What is far more significant is the (almost) 1,000 others that had accidents that were serious enough for police attention in two days. Apart from this speaking volumes by itself, a percentage if these will no doubt have died later in hospital - but they don't count as being a 'road traffic fatality'.

R

Ok, just a sec, are these fatalities in addition to the 35-40 that happen on 'normal' days? ...... and is it only during this silly season that you have to be dead roadside to count as a traffic incident.

The photo IS a dramatization....take a closer look EOD

Dramatization or not, I'd say the police affect (smiling) is very inappropriate and very disturbing. I have been to many countries but have yet to observe such affect displayed by police. Certainly not Japan police, nor Hong Kong that I have seen.

Perhaps the inability to extort money from drivers would elicit sadness.

Edited by atyclb

Dramatization or not, I'd say the police affect (smiling) is very inappropriate and very disturbing. I have been to many countries but have yet to observe such affect displayed by police. Certainly not Japan police, nor Hong Kong that I have seen.

It was a test to see how many sober farang in TV noticed the re enactment, and how many emotionalizing, high falutting drinkers there are to spout off about it. I found it humerous, but for serious impact, I prefer Thai Rat for the real pictures. Real photos, real blood, real mangled bodies instill real impact on the living, and has some degree of positive effect. Thats just my opinion, and if anyone doesnt like, worry not, it all comes out in the wash later. You got opinions I dont like, but I respect you and yours. Do the same.

It was a test to see how many sober farang in TV noticed the re enactment, and how many emotionalizing, high falutting drinkers there are to spout off about it. I found it humerous, but for serious impact, I prefer Thai Rat for the real pictures. Real photos, real blood, real mangled bodies instill real impact on the living, and has some degree of positive effect. Thats just my opinion, and if anyone doesnt like, worry not, it all comes out in the wash later. You got opinions I dont like, but I respect you and yours. Do the same.

I respect your loving of pics of mangled bodies as you sound that you believe they are beneficial to the publics view --So why have we got these high figures of mortality ?? Thai public are used to them ,they DO NOT have an impact on the way they drink and drive.

Respect for the dead at scenes here are sickening. I would say it's up to the police to cut these figures down, but year on year there is no on going action on their part.

Thai public are used to them ,they DO NOT have an impact on the way they drink and drive.

Agreed with that, and the reason why they don't have an impact is the constant stream of crap that is delivered to them through soaps and scary movies on TV, it's happening to someone else, it could never happen to them because they have special amulets and mystic symbols drawn on their vehicle (that even the drawer of them would be hard pressed to explain the origin and the reason, mainly because it's total BS and a few Baht in the saffron robe)

Even when it happens to close family members, it never quite sinks in about how they could go about preventing it from happening to them.

I think I would be correct if I suggested that the only ones concerned with all of the published statistics on road deaths and injuries , plus the ongoing carnage on Thai roads , are posters and readers of thaivisa , Thai do not seem to give a hoot .

While I was driving home this evening, at about 6:00PM, the sky went dark and we had a very heavy downpour. I slowed down, had my head lights on and my wipers at full speed. Many other vehicles hadn't bothered to take these rather obvious precautions. The local drunken idiots were still in the middle of the road throwing water, oblivious to the heavy rain, flooded roads or to the poor visibility due to the darkness and rain. It doesn't matter at all what road safety campaigns are put in place when Thai's have no concept of obvious danger and put themselves, and others at risk.

Now, now.... EOD has been here for a 9 months and a whole 22 posts so just like the more mature, more jaded, more pontifical TV'ers, is fully entitled to make silly mistakes, jump to conclusions and start name-calling and bashing the locals.

Well, IMO it's not the number but the quality that counts. Easy to push the number by some senseless comments. And who minds about the period of the membership?

Edited by Sturbuc

Congratulations, Jackwagon, you're the first to make an ass of yourself by judging and condemning Thai cultural standards, and you're wrong to boot! It was a recreation to remind young Thais that drunk driving kills. I saw a lot of footage of gristly accidents when I was applying for my driving license. Stop thinking that you are so superior to the country that we all love, and

allows us foreigners to be here.

This country's economy thrives on us foreigners!. Thais can "legally" lie cheat and steal from farang, and the farang pays for visa every 2 months- tourist.

I think I would be correct if I suggested that the only ones concerned with all of the published statistics on road deaths and injuries , plus the ongoing carnage on Thai roads , are posters and readers of thaivisa , Thai do not seem to give a hoot .

And therein lies the problem as to why there are so many deaths on the roads, mainly Thais.

R

Ok, just a sec, are these fatalities in addition to the 35-40 that happen on 'normal' days? ...... and is it only during this silly season that you have to be dead roadside to count as a traffic incident.

Nope - this is universal now all over Thailand. 10 years ago on Samui the accredited deaths were running at between 250 and 350 a year. Then around 2002 (?) it suddenly turned into 25-30 per year. Big pats on backs all round for the new, safe Samui. :ermm:

R

Who really gives a cat's arse one way or the other.

Agreed, Thailand is for Thai's, it's their culture, their festivals, why should we care about the carnage to Thai's, self inflicted.

However today I am driving my car with my elderly mother as a passenger when suddenly a bucket full of liquid was thrown at my car and the windscreen is covered in a white film, I could see nothing at all, the wipers failed to clear it and I had no choice but to stop before I hit something, stupid or what?

Now when it's my family I do care and I am concerned about this stupid, dangerous and infantile behaviour.

The BIB of course are a total joke. Law and order makes civilization, without it you have...........well Thailand!

The sign in the background of the pic in the OP is designed a bit like an invitation for someone's funeral called Mr Pramaht Khunjeungtai, which is a play on words because it also means something like 'carelessness leads to death'.

So it seems to be some kind of reconstruction for a safe driving campaign over Songkran.

http://www.manager.co.th/Crime/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9540000044886

R

Nope - this is universal now all over Thailand. 10 years ago on Samui the accredited deaths were running at between 250 and 350 a year. Then around 2002 (?) it suddenly turned into 25-30 per year. Big pats on backs all round for the new, safe Samui. :ermm:

R

What might an accredited death be?:blink:

Who really gives a cat's arse one way or the other.

Agreed, Thailand is for Thai's, it's their culture, their festivals, why should we care about the carnage to Thai's, self inflicted.

<snip>

Now when it's my family I do care and I am concerned about this stupid, dangerous and infantile behaviour.

Those statements are self conflicting, with only one thing that makes them different, you.

Are you saying that it is perfectly Ok for Thai people to wreck havoc on each other as long as you don't know them personally?

I hope not.