Motorcycle Phone Holder / Gps Holder At Chiang Rai Saddlebags

engrin

I have been using holders similar to this in my cars since my first GSM in 1994.

The handlebar holder should work fine. But the universal holder for the phone doesnt always get a good grip. The tailor made ones work better, but havent seen them available here

I have been using holders similar to this in my cars since my first GSM in 1994.

The handlebar holder should work fine. But the universal holder for the phone doesnt always get a good grip. The tailor made ones work better, but havent seen them available here

I have a Bluetooth headset, but the phone's still a pain in the ar$e. It would be nice to have the phone in a convenient place. I looked at these a few days ago. My small GPS fits in the holder too. Think I'll get one on saturday and give it a road test.

lots of bumpy roads my way, don't do much over 100 though ;-)

I'll let you know.

Edited by jubby

Looks very similar to one I bought last year to hold a Garmin Nuvi. On extension the brackets seemed to have a good grip on the unit. All went well for some time until I hit a speed upwards of 140. I'm not sure of the exact speed as I was distracted by a Garmin Nuvi flying by my left ear. Miraculously it had a soft landing on the roadside and is still working today. I now add 2 strong rubber bands around the bracket and GPS and all's been well since. On a faired bike the bracket will probably work well.

Looks very similar to one I bought last year to hold a Garmin Nuvi. On extension the brackets seemed to have a good grip on the unit. All went well for some time until I hit a speed upwards of 140. I'm not sure of the exact speed as I was distracted by a Garmin Nuvi flying by my left ear. Miraculously it had a soft landing on the roadside and is still working today. I now add 2 strong rubber bands around the bracket and GPS and all's been well since. On a faired bike the bracket will probably work well.

mines a cheap brand GPS but does what it says on the box. It does also constantly remind me of the local speed limits , which ofcourse I can't hear on the motorbike.

Re: mines a cheap brand GPS but does what it says on the box. It does also constantly remind me of the local speed limits , which ofcourse I can't hear on the motorbike

Bought the Garmin at Big C for 4,700 last year to try it out with the bike. Hardly an expensive model. I liked the idea of having a rolling map in view when riding but couldn't find a mount for a while. It's not that much bigger than an i-phone but big enough. It definitely doesn't advise of speed limits so I don't need to worry about missing information and can keep an eye on the road ahead. With an open bike faster than 80 or 90 gets too uncomfortable for any length of time anyway. I mentioned the speed as I was ripping through the gears at the time which in the right conditions does both me and the bike a bit of good,

If you're gonna use one of the brackets I'd recommend you add some extra restraint no matter how inexpensive the GPS. 4700 buys 75 san miguels.

Ride Safe Now

Re: mines a cheap brand GPS but does what it says on the box. It does also constantly remind me of the local speed limits , which ofcourse I can't hear on the motorbike

Bought the Garmin at Big C for 4,700 last year to try it out with the bike. Hardly an expensive model. I liked the idea of having a rolling map in view when riding but couldn't find a mount for a while. It's not that much bigger than an i-phone but big enough. It definitely doesn't advise of speed limits so I don't need to worry about missing information and can keep an eye on the road ahead. With an open bike faster than 80 or 90 gets too uncomfortable for any length of time anyway. I mentioned the speed as I was ripping through the gears at the time which in the right conditions does both me and the bike a bit of good,

If you're gonna use one of the brackets I'd recommend you add some extra restraint no matter how inexpensive the GPS. 4700 buys 75 san miguels.

Ride Safe Now

Yeah, no worries. I was just thinking some guy doing 200 kph and losing his GPS :D

Just spoke to the shop and they have checked it out at just over 100 kph and no problems, no vibration or anything.

A couple of decent elastic bands would give added peace of mind ;)

I was looking for something like this for a while, but all i could find was the "car version" with the long arm which supposed to stick on the glass of your car.

I adapted it to the bike by cutting the end of it and using some screws, in the market and the shops around it, they were all asking for 350 Baht, but in Tesco Lotus they had exactly the same model for 199 Baht.

I still have to test it at "high speed" (100-120kmh), for the moment i am using it to record in real times my trips, so the people i choose are able to see what i can see, live, from anywhere in the world, the recorded video will have a stored copy on the phone (locally) and one on the internet (remotely), plus the 3rd already mentioned advantage to be seen in true real time.

This can be very usefull in case of an accident, especially if you wouldn't be able to give your version of the facts when required.... :lol:

I bought an adapter for my Nuvi 205, it replaces the ball part that suckers to the windscreen. Cost a couple of quid on ebay from China so I got a couple of them. Trouble is there is no space on the handlebars of a motorbike to fit it :( So I still carry mine around my neck in a padded bag and stop from time to time to check my position. Its a good excuse to have a break and admire the surroundings! However it would be much nicer to have it 'dash' style.

I probably need one of these to protect it when it gets dropped; a rubberized case that still allows it to be fitted onto its mounting adaptor. http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Garmin-Nuvi-ToughSkin-Black/dp/B000VXKBZ0

I bought an adapter for my Nuvi 205, it replaces the ball part that suckers to the windscreen. Cost a couple of quid on ebay from China so I got a couple of them. Trouble is there is no space on the handlebars of a motorbike to fit it :( So I still carry mine around my neck in a padded bag and stop from time to time to check my position. Its a good excuse to have a break and admire the surroundings! However it would be much nicer to have it 'dash' style.

I probably need one of these to protect it when it gets dropped; a rubberized case that still allows it to be fitted onto its mounting adaptor. http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Garmin-Nuvi-ToughSkin-Black/dp/B000VXKBZ0

I got a nice ram mount for the garmin nuvi. I must say its expensive but great.

I used RAM iPhone mount at BIRA track for my laptimer and video. The video ended up being a little waving because of vibration but I hit a max speed of 165km/hr with no issue and it was mounted from the bike handlebars.

I bought one yesterday. looks very good quality. My GPS sits in the cradle like a glove. Foam rubber holds the GPS in place and absorbs any vibration. Did about 70 kilometers this morning , max speed about 100 Kph and a little bit on a very corrugated surface. Can't see any problems with these holders at faster speeds either. Elastic band as discussed before shouldn't be necessary. I suspect my Mobile phone will live in there when I'm not using the GPS.

So I tried my phone in the holder today instead of the GPS. very convenient to have the phone available and not have to remove gloves to fiddle in my pockets :)

So I need another one

A few photo's

post-33693-0-98905200-1303203422_thumb.j

post-33693-0-86796300-1303203527_thumb.j

post-33693-0-19940500-1303203654_thumb.j

post-33693-0-93340200-1303203804_thumb.j

post-33693-0-63610800-1303203928_thumb.j

post-33693-0-27192000-1303204025_thumb.j

post-33693-0-97697900-1303204187_thumb.j

Edited by jubby