Pies At Friendship

redwood13

No idea but why bother - Food Mart (Jomtien) sells the Sausage King pies which are the biggest and tastiest in Pattaya :thumbsup:

Just remember in Thailand there arnt any health and safety checks...I always imagined any of these pies are made by an overweight scouse with straggly hair and picks his nose while baking.........am probably wrong but the thought of buying anything 'home made' in Thailand just makes me wanna puke.stick to the frozen ones, they aint too bad.

No idea but why bother - Food Mart (Jomtien) sells the Sausage King pies which are the biggest and tastiest in Pattaya :thumbsup:

Personal choice, of course, but I prefer both the Buriram Pieman's and those from the Sportsman. Eric's pies are also good from Western Wholesale (sold in Friendship, gren label) and his scotch eggs are the best I have had.

Just remember in Thailand there arnt any health and safety checks...I always imagined any of these pies are made by an overweight scouse with straggly hair and picks his nose while baking.........am probably wrong but the thought of buying anything 'home made' in Thailand just makes me wanna puke.stick to the frozen ones, they aint too bad.

Not correct, in Phuket at least, presumably similar in the rest of the country, each food manufacturer who sells product to the retail trade has to have a permit issued by the government, checks made include all the food safety categories one might expect - permit must be displayed and spot checks follow after issuance.

Not correct, in Phuket at least, presumably similar in the rest of the country, each food manufacturer who sells product to the retail trade has to have a permit issued by the government, checks made include all the food safety categories one might expect - permit must be displayed and spot checks follow after issuance.

I had a restaurant for over two years and not one single check....so although that may be the law, it never really is enforced, just look at the state of some of the places making food...

I had a restaurant for over two years and not one single check....so although that may be the law, it never really is enforced, just look at the state of some of the places making food...

Interesting, presumably that was not in the South? We explored taking over premises a couple of years ago so that Mrs CM could go gung ho on her pie making business, thankfully the idea never got off the ground! But it was an interesting experience dealing with the Ministry of Health in Phuket Town and we were both pretty amazed at the extent of their requirements before we could open for business, subsequently we've seen their license logo all over the place, kinda reassuring in a way but it's clearly a different set of rules based on location - also, the rules and requirements of restaurants appears to be different than for businesses that are making food for resale in shops and supermarkets, we were in the latter category.

Interesting, presumably that was not in the South? We explored taking over premises a couple of years ago so that Mrs CM could go gung ho on her pie making business, thankfully the idea never got off the ground! But it was an interesting experience dealing with the Ministry of Health in Phuket Town and we were both pretty amazed at the extent of their requirements before we could open for business, subsequently we've seen their license logo all over the place, kinda reassuring in a way but it's clearly a different set of rules based on location - also, the rules and requirements of restaurants appears to be different than for businesses that are making food for resale in shops and supermarkets, we were in the latter category.

Was in Petchaburi province...........my original post was tongue in cheek.....his pies are probably very good as I dont think major supermarkets would stock them if they wernt

Do you really think that a government official will actually be checking up on the place once the permit has been granted. Even on the off chance someone did they could be easily (cheaply) paid off.That's probably why they were making such a fuss to issue the permit in the first place - hoping for a down (first) payment.

Edited by tropo

What makes you think that hygene for a frozen pie is any different? Your reasoning is illogical.

Do you really think that a government official will actually be checking up on the place once the permit has been granted. Even on the off chance someone did they could be easily (cheaply) paid off.That's probably why they were making such a fuss to issue the permit in the first place - hoping for a down (first) payment.

Your post assumes that all government workers don't do their intended job and all can be easily bribed and that's simply not valid. Once again, I don't know how things work elsewhere but in Phuket it's mandatory that food stalls have the health dept certificate and that it's displayed, go take a look at Banzaan market in Patong as a good example.

Your post assumes that all government workers don't do their intended job and all can be easily bribed and that's simply not valid. Once again, I don't know how things work elsewhere but in Phuket it's mandatory that food stalls have the health dept certificate and that it's displayed, go take a look at Banzaan market in Patong as a good example.

My post doesn't assume anything just as I'm sure you're not assuming that the government workers are doing their "intended job". I don't dispute that they need certificates. So what? I'm talking about how well they conduct their inspections and how easy it is for people to pay their way. Have a look around you to see how well government workers (police, politicians etc) do their jobs.

My post doesn't assume anything just as I'm sure you're not assuming that the government workers are doing their "intended job". I don't dispute that they need certificates. So what? I'm talking about how well they conduct their inspections and how easy it is for people to pay their way. Have a look around you to see how well government workers (police, politicians etc) do their jobs.

I would argue that some parts of government departments work better than others and that taring them all with the same brush is inappropriate, that's really just one step away from Thai bashing in general and bar stool expert knowledge. If I think back about the government departments I/we've (Mrs CM and myself) have interacted with over the past six months: the Thai passport office worked well, was reasonably efficient; drivers license renewal office was very efficient; road tax office worked well; Immigration Dept. worked very well - and none of them demanded bribes for doing their jobs, can't comment however on the Police or Politicians since I don't interact with either but rumour has it...! So yes, I do contend that parts of some government departments are doing their jobs and indeed doing it well in many cases.

I would argue that some parts of government departments work better than others and that taring them all with the same brush is inappropriate, that's really just one step away from Thai bashing in general and bar stool expert knowledge. If I think back about the government departments I/we've (Mrs CM and myself) have interacted with over the past six months: the Thai passport office worked well, was reasonably efficient; drivers license renewal office was very efficient; road tax office worked well; Immigration Dept. worked very well - and none of them demanded bribes for doing their jobs, can't comment however on the Police or Politicians since I don't interact with either but rumour has it...! So yes, I do contend that parts of some government departments are doing their jobs and indeed doing it well in many cases.

As I said, I didn't assume that all departments don't do their job, but it seems you are making the assumption that they do.

You're a little naive to think that officials out of various government departments come out in the open and demand payments. It doesn't work like that, but I shall not go further on this topic.

IMO if you eat Thai sausages or pies you are probably eating some funky food of unknown origin and would not trust the labels. Good luck.

These inspectors don't mind a dirty restaurant. Just pay the fine. Again, and again and again.

Remember Santika Club?

They operated illegally and the Thong Lor Police received their 'fine' every month, until it burned to the ground with 66 patrons trapped inside.

Thailand does have health and safety for Food products and for those companies who do have the approval from the FDA it is fairly strict http://www.fda.moph.go.th/eng/index.stm

Food safety in Thailand,:lol: who gives a sh*t.....oh only those that get the sh*ts.

The pies from buriram are not that good. sausage king are great. Tropo is correct who gives a monkeys! how many food carts get stopped??

Thailand does have health and safety for Food products and for those companies who do have the approval from the FDA it is fairly strict http://www.fda.moph.go.th/eng/index.stm

Unfortunately you'll not be able to convince some people of that when all they want to see/believe is incompetence, laziness and bribery in every quarter, quite sad really.

Thailand does have health and safety for Food products and for those companies who do have the approval from the FDA it is fairly strict http://www.fda.moph....h/eng/index.stm

Unfortunately you'll not be able to convince some people of that when all they want to see/believe is incompetence, laziness and bribery in every quarter, quite sad really.

Sad yes,But true nonetheless^

I see it everyday. Unfortunately some people prefer to bury their heads in the sand rather than face the ugly truth. Don't feel that I'm picking on Thailand, it's just that we are both here right now. I see it, you don't. For example, I know of people who pay for visa extensions every month. I see police scamming on every street corner. The list goes on...

Food safety in Thailand,:lol: who gives a sh*t.....oh only those that get the sh*ts.

The pies from buriram are not that good. sausage king are great. Tropo is correct who gives a monkeys! how many food carts get stopped??

Sausage King prices are 30% higher (as with the sausages) - the quality is not.

I see it everyday. Unfortunately some people prefer to bury their heads in the sand rather than face the ugly truth. Don't feel that I'm picking on Thailand, it's just that we are both here right now. I see it, you don't. For example, I know of people who pay for visa extensions every month. I see police scamming on every street corner. The list goes on...

You seem slightly jaded in your views of Thailand else you've become somewhat paranoid if indeed you see such things "every day" and "on every street corner"! Personally I don't, after nine years here I am willing to agree that some areas of government are as corrupt as h_ll but others function just fine.