It'S Amazing How Much Cheaper Food Is In America Than Thailand

Let's just face it - Thailand is extremely expensive in some aspects. I've been involved in discussions with forum members before and argued that Thailand can be both extremely expensive and cheap at the same time. But if you're planning to maintain the same type of life you had in Europe or US you'll have to pay for it due to the taxation on imported goods and similar. If you are willing to eat street food and dress in knock-off clothes; then Thailand is really cheap. Want to drive a European car, drink nice wine and Champagne and dress in European fashion; you'll end up paying a lot more than you would in, for instance, Europe.

What is interesting is that some posters claim that Thailand is cheaper in every aspect. I just can't understand how someone can make that statement, it's like claiming the earth is flat. Remarkable.

Yes I've been saying this for years, especially if you factor in average salaries and the larger more pricey items such as cars and houses, the quality of those items per dollar or baht is not even comparable when the entire package and variety is taken into account and there's that little obstacle about not even being able to own your land here..

What I see clearly happening here is generalizations of varying locations when the OP is referring to the US not multiple locations around Europe where it is more expensive and has been for ages.

Edited by WarpSpeed

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us it is not the cost that influences what we do as much as the life style that we prefer. Right now we prefer to spend our summers in Northern Idaho and our winters in Cha Am.

Since we have a condo here and a townhouse in Idaho, leaving is no drama just empty the refrigerator and go. Everything outside is maintained for us and our housekeeper still looks after our condo when we are gone. We get the best of both worlds this way.

lts.

The only downside is I hate the flight and customs and immigration on both ends. But the end results is worth it.

BT

Just face it Thailand is cheaper if you don't want European style products and adapt a bit to the local lifestyle.

It is also cheaper if you eat a certain amount of cheap Thai food and live in a cheap, comfortable room and only eat Western food some of the time.

I am perfectly happy living this way and It is almost impossible to get a comfortable room for 5,000 baht per month or a healthy 30 baht meal back home in Farangland.

True that, My son is renovating the home he just bought in Victoria and he's putting in a basement suite he hopes will subsidize his 15 million baht mortgage. He expects to get about 30,000 baht a month rent... which is the going rate in Victoria. Victoria is on Vancouver Island and it's the same size as Chiang Mai.

A loaf of multigrain bread in a Canadian supermarket is about 90 baht. Oranges average about 150 baht a pound. Out of season Apples average about 350 baht a pound. Bananas average about 130 baht a pound. Eggs are 900 to 1000 baht a dozen.

Eggs 90 to 100 baht a dozen maybe...Or the chicken that layed the golden egg

I think it says more about the current situation in USA than about Thailand. In most European countries groceries are 25-50% higher than in Thailand. If I was an American I would probably consider "going home" but for us Euros it's virtually impossible to get anything but a tourist visa for US (except if you happen to be extremely highly educated, have some special skill in high demand or be extremely rich).

Eggs 90 to 100 baht a dozen maybe...Or the chicken that layed the golden egg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Correct, I should have realized I had added an extra "0" :blink::D That always happens to me when I try to change from dollars to baht. :annoyed:

How about Water ??

How does Water compare Pricewise ??

Unlike Thailand we in the states drink tab water right out of the faucet, and it's cheaper than dirt.

Very true. My home tap water is excellent in my town on Vancouver Island, but not all towns and cities are the same. They put so much chlorine in the city of Victoria water that I won't drink it. I make up a dozen bottles of tap water each day and stick them in the fridge. Then I just add a dash of lemon juice to give it some flavour.

Don't even get me started on my electricity bill not even worth mentioning.

That is the one that gets me...

When we spend a few months in Thailand I am always shocked at how cheap our electric bill is compared to America

Yet Gasoline is about the same in Thailand as it is here??? Makes me wonder

Still, something like 1/3 the price of petrol in London.

True & I often wonder how anyone can afford to drive in Europe

Yet by the same token seeing gas the same in Thailand & USA yet the wages in Thailand what they are

makes me realize there is a good reason why so many drive scooters there.

Im pretty sure i can compile a list of things that are cheaper here in Thailand. Just face it Thailand is cheaper if you don't want European style products and adapt a bit to the local lifestyle.

If you want to live like an American / European in Thailand your going to pay a premium. You will have to live a while in Thailand to really know what is where.

I see the prices in Holland on a regular bases (do a lot of Dutch accounting for clients) so i know what i am talking about.

Most people like to burn Thailand after they have left just to justify leaving so it feels less as a failure. Same for the people who stay here they burn their home country. But truth be told you can live a lot cheaper in Thailand as in the US or Europe.

But its quite normal that you pay a premium for imported goods here. I can eat a good fried rice with a drink here for 47 baht. Now tell me about that in The USA what you will pay in a Thai restaurant.

If you compare things you should be fair in your comparison.

Steamed hotdog with salad and free water

20baht from the best in the country. (canada) 24/7

Chinese/thai/viet 24/7 restaurant. 100baht/meal or 250baht 3 plates with no MSG or excessive oils. 24/7..

Quality Chinese buffet with terrace on the busy hip and natury street of the old town, 300baht.

High end thai food. Combos are from 200 to 450baht for a FILLING meal.

Mcdonalds 30baht burgers when in a hurry

Tim hortons 100baht sandwiches

Every thai groceries cheaper than in thailand (even mama's) in chinese grocery store or small cambodian corner store, Squid, fish, meat, chicken about the same price but higher grade and fresher.

etc etc etc.

Only thing food wise that is cheaper in thailand is the local fruits and cheap basic thai meals full of oils/MSG which are better home made anyways. and street soups.

Dont forget all the $ you waste here in water instead of using TAP.

Only way for thailand to be cheaper is if you are

a) whore monger

B ) living in the sticks, then you get a nice house and land for really cheap

c)looking for year round tropical leisure lifestyle(cheaper in many countries though now that the island are getting more expensive by the day)

d)full time retired golfer

e)uneducated teacher who would have to work at mcdonalds in his country

That's all i can think off...

Most people should not come here to save money

Yet by the same token seeing gas the same in Thailand & USA yet the wages in Thailand what they are

A gallon of gasoline in Turkey is about $9 US. And in Haiti, the average family spends 40% of their income on fuel--mostly for motorcycles. Gas is more expensive in Thailand than in the US by a bit, but in both places, it is cheaper than in anywhere in Europe I have driven.

I find that overall, most things that I, as a Westerner buy, is more expensive in Thailand than in the US. Notable exceptions are medical care, chicken, and the ability to buy a cheap dinner (I don't see any US counterpart to streetfood at Thai prices.)

I am not in Thailand for the cost-of-living. I am here for work, but even without my work, when I retire, I plan on living large chunks of my time here, sort of like how BEENTHEREDONETHAT has worked it out. I like it here as it suits my personality, but I also like the US.

I loved Thai food in the states, but I have gradually stopped eating it here (except my wife's) because the quality is just not there. I like to cook and so does my wife so we save money eating in. I wouldn't recomend anyone moving to Thailand based on living cost. There are so many cultural issues that I think that it is not for everyone. The exception would be those of us who haven't got laid in awhile and in that case it's worth evey penny.

A gallon of gasoline in Turkey is about $9 US. And in Haiti, the average family spends 40% of their income on fuel--mostly for motorcycles. Gas is more expensive in Thailand than in the US by a bit, but in both places, it is cheaper than in anywhere in Europe I have driven.

I find that overall, most things that I, as a Westerner buy, is more expensive in Thailand than in the US. Notable exceptions are medical care, chicken, and the ability to buy a cheap dinner (I don't see any US counterpart to streetfood at Thai prices.)

I am not in Thailand for the cost-of-living. I am here for work, but even without my work, when I retire, I plan on living large chunks of my time here, sort of like how BEENTHEREDONETHAT has worked it out. I like it here as it suits my personality, but I also like the US.

Right now gas is 47 baht a liter in Canada.. its expected to hit 60baht soo.

Edited by notbritish

We lived in Texas for 15 years before moving here. Thai food products were very expensive in Texas. Now we live in Thailand. Why should there be any surprise that US products are more expensive here?

We buy 95% of our food in the local market. Beef tenderloin (okay, it's Thai, but it's not bad) 160 baht a kilo. Pork 120 baht a kilo. Eggs 40 baht per 10. Veggies ultra cheap....whereas in the US, veggies are what add up quickly.

My favorite bowl of viet noodle soup here (not a pushcart) is 35 baht (special size).....it's $7 in Texas. We've owned 3 new trucks in 14 years and had them serviced......highest bill I ever paid was 6000 baht for 100k service that included a timing belt change. That'd a cost me several hundred back in the US. I took our daughter's car in for oil/filter change in Dec......$35 for semi-synthetic. The same for my truck here costs about $25. When my lawnmower needs a weld, I do it for 20baht per spot weld in the village. In the US, I'd chuck the lawnmower and buy a new one. Same with our TV....service here for peanuts. In the US, you don't service a TV unless it's top end stuff.

My computer needs an overhaul......200 baht for the labor and min charge for parts. In the US, you buy a new computer or do without for a week-10 days and kiss a few hundred dollars goodbye.

I tune up my 24 speed mountain bike for 50 baht....change all the cables for another 100 baht. My brother in the US tunes up his Cannondale for $149 each spring. I can fix my flats in 1000's of motorcycle repair shops 24 hours a day for 20 baht. In the US, haha.....8-5 and it'll cost you dearly.

Our 5 day-a-week gardener and 5 day-a-week maid cost 210 baht per day, plus another 500 baht or so of groceries that we throw in each week. In the US, my wife would be cleaning the house and I'd be doing the yard. Gardener/maid in the US? Not on a pension of $3500/month.

We buy flowers to transplant at the nursery for 2-5 baht each, veggies at the market for 5 baht, I get my hair cut in an AC shop by a stylist for 70baht, my wife gets her hair dried for 40 baht, a speeding ticket might cost you 200-400 baht, primo grilled chicken with a plate of somptom and a plate of sticky rice goes for 110 baht, a fullup physical cost me 15,000 baht and my wife 12k. Our twice-annual dental cleanings cost 500 baht each.......we walk in without an appointment, rarely have to wait more than a few minutes. My occasional bottle of Johnnie Walker Black costs about the same here as in Texas (maybe a bit cheaper). A good bottle of wine costs me $15 in the US, the same costs $25 here. Hey, wait a minute. I'm going back to Texas!

Let's just face it - Thailand is extremely expensive in some aspects. I've been involved in discussions with forum members before and argued that Thailand can be both extremely expensive and cheap at the same time. But if you're planning to maintain the same type of life you had in Europe or US you'll have to pay for it due to the taxation on imported goods and similar. If you are willing to eat street food and dress in knock-off clothes; then Thailand is really cheap. Want to drive a European car, drink nice wine and Champagne and dress in European fashion; you'll end up paying a lot more than you would in, for instance, Europe.

What is interesting is that some posters claim that Thailand is cheaper in every aspect. I just can't understand how someone can make that statement, it's like claiming the earth is flat. Remarkable.

Explain to me again why you believe the earth to be banana-shaped...

SC

Just face it Thailand is cheaper if you don't want European style products and adapt a bit to the local lifestyle.

It is also cheaper if you eat a certain amount of cheap Thai food and live in a cheap, comfortable room and only eat Western food some of the time.

I am perfectly happy living this way and It is almost impossible to get a comfortable room for 5,000 baht per month or a healthy 30 baht meal back home in Farangland.

....sounds rather lonely and elusive, UG. ;)

You'd get better on the dole in the UK for nothing. Nice council flat and all your food paid for.

You'd get better on the dole in the UK for nothing. Nice council flat and all your food paid for.

If I were single and spent most of my day attending to my businesses, this would make good sense to me. Live light.

Edit: by 'this' I mean UG's lifestyle.

Edited by Thakkar

Im pretty sure i can compile a list of things that are cheaper here in Thailand. Just face it Thailand is cheaper if you don't want European style products and adapt a bit to the local lifestyle.

If you want to live like an American / European in Thailand your going to pay a premium. You will have to live a while in Thailand to really know what is where.

I see the prices in Holland on a regular bases (do a lot of Dutch accounting for clients) so i know what i am talking about.

Most people like to burn Thailand after they have left just to justify leaving so it feels less as a failure. Same for the people who stay here they burn their home country. But truth be told you can live a lot cheaper in Thailand as in the US or Europe.

But its quite normal that you pay a premium for imported goods here. I can eat a good fried rice with a drink here for 47 baht. Now tell me about that in The USA what you will pay in a Thai restaurant.

Chinese/thai/viet 24/7 restaurant. 100baht/meal or 250baht 3 plates with no MSG or excessive oils. 24/7..

Quality Chinese buffet with terrace on the busy hip and natury street of the old town, 300baht.

Every thai groceries cheaper than in thailand (even mama's) in chinese grocery store or small cambodian corner store, Squid, fish, meat, chicken about the same price but higher grade and fresher.

etc etc etc.

Only thing food wise that is cheaper in thailand is the local fruits and cheap basic thai meals full of oils/MSG which are better home made anyways. and street soups.

a) whore monger

B ) living in the sticks, then you get a nice house and land for really cheap

c)looking for year round tropical leisure lifestyle(cheaper in many countries though now that the island are getting more expensive by the day)

a) whore monger (nope i am not)

B ) living in the sticks, then you get a nice house and land for really cheap (i live a little bit outside bkk)

c)looking for year round tropical leisure lifestyle(cheaper in many countries though now that the island are getting more expensive by the day) (yes i love it here)

d)full time retired golfer (nope)

e)uneducated teacher who would have to work at mcdonalds in his country (educated accountant here)

But you are still comparing non native dishes with dishes that are normal / native.

How much is Thai food in your chosen country and how much is it here ? ehhhhhhhh fail

Spending money on water.. i got a filtration system works much better and does not cost much once it is installed.

Yes of course you should compare local fruits and veggies with the local fruits and veggies in other countries. Else you are not taking in account transportation costs and import taxes. Duhh. bet you never studied economics.

Compare meat here with meat in other places.

Mc Donalds here is still seen as higher up food so more expensive. It falls here in an other segment as at home. Bet you never thought of that.

Comparing bread costs in a country that is a rice country.. not so smart.

Eat as a Thai or cook Thai food yourself and you will see the price difference. All your examples you fail.

It seems you just want to live an European lifestyle in Thailand... that is going to cost you extra money. If Thailand is so expensive try giving 10.000 bt to a family in your chosen country and let them make due with it. Its a standard salary in Thailand and people make due with it.

I wasn't making an overall comparison to Thailand, just saying that the Grocery Store Experience in the USA is mind boggling amazing to me. I mean, you have products imported from Thailand that cost less than they do in Thailand. And just so much bread and cheese and selection. Rows and rows of products. It's no wonder we have an obesity problem!

Many of the Thai groceries have about the same selection as a 7/11 shop but with larger shelves. :)

It can vary where you live in the US. I remember items like fresh galangal (not imported) were super cheap on the west coast but a bit dear on the east coast. I still think it's weird that packaged items like rice noodles and coconut milk from Thailand can be cheaper in the US than Thailand.

You can't in thailand. the 5k baht a month rooms are non-livable. There's usualy no AC or a germ infested 50 year old AC. The mattress is less comfortable than a park bench, the cockroaches and rats are not clean and the neighbor are noisy. The 30baht food is infested with MSG sugars/oils and pesticide infected veggies.

In farangland as you say, you can get the same crappy room in a ghetto, about 10sqm and you can eat your 30baht meals at mcdonalds or any chicken fastfood place. Dried noodles provide cheap non-nutritive meals as well.

Hell i have visited homeless shelters in my country and the people living there have better lives/healt than the farang who are happy with their 5k baht a month rooms and street food. They also make more than them by begging.

Explain to me again why you believe the earth to be banana-shaped...

SC

lol

Touché! Good one there!

:clap2:

etc etc etc.

a) whore monger

B) living in the sticks, then you get a nice house and land for really cheap

a) whore monger (nope i am not)

B) living in the sticks, then you get a nice house and land for really cheap (i live a little bit outside bkk)

c)looking for year round tropical leisure lifestyle(cheaper in many countries though now that the island are getting more expensive by the day) (yes i love it here)

d)full time retired golfer (nope)

e)uneducated teacher who would have to work at mcdonalds in his country (educated accountant here)

But you are still comparing non native dishes with dishes that are normal / native.

How much is Thai food in your chosen country and how much is it here ? ehhhhhhhh fail

Spending money on water.. i got a filtration system works much better and does not cost much once it is installed.

Yes of course you should compare local fruits and veggies with the local fruits and veggies in other countries. Else you are not taking in account transportation costs and import taxes. Duhh. bet you never studied economics.

Compare meat here with meat in other places.

Mc Donalds here is still seen as higher up food so more expensive. It falls here in an other segment as at home. Bet you never thought of that.

Comparing bread costs in a country that is a rice country.. not so smart.

Eat as a Thai or cook Thai food yourself and you will see the price difference. All your examples you fail.

It seems you just want to live an European lifestyle in Thailand... that is going to cost you extra money. If Thailand is so expensive try giving 10.000 bt to a family in your chosen country and let them make due with it. Its a standard salary in Thailand and people make due with it.

As i work in economics and investments and own a Thai restaurant, this reply made me laugh all the way down to my ass.

i clearly stated that thai food is cheaper in my country than here, as far as street level thai food. Who cares? its unhealthy. that means the equal comparison is fast food. Canadian fast food is as healthy, more filling and tastes a lot better than oily khao pat or kapow. I can make it with any kind of imported rice from the asian stores which will cost me less than in Thailand. My woman cooked a lot of thai in canada and it was much cheaper than here.

Of course someone undernourished who would fail a health test as bad as a fat American can live off his whole life off three 30baht meals a day here and be fine. But his brain cells will suffer, his muscle mass will suffer, his concentration will be nonexistent. If i eat at a small roadside thai restaurant i need to spend minimum 150baht on myself to allow my body to function properly while in Canada i can go as low as 75-100baht. And no i am not fat, i am 68kg with 6.5% bodyfat.

Rice isnt really food, its a filling. They are used to rice because they are poor and have no choice to put a ton of it on food to be able to keep going on during the day. It's not "REALLY FOOD" rice meals are like slim fasts.. Would you use slim fast to compare food between an arab country and a western country? no. So use a normal non-rice meal for thais

Sumtam+a fish. thats 100-115baht + 20baht water(free water is not that common outside of roadside noodles nowadays), not 30baht. Real average meals are not cheaper in Thailand.

I dont know what you are trying to say about mcdonalds but KFC is some of the cheapest food in thailand.. Cheaper than eating at a thai market. You clearly make no sense about the fastfood.

Meat is meat anywhere, you can compare it.

and on a final note, making due is not living. Its merely existing.

I like living here but it's definitely not cheaper, no matter the lifestyle as long as its not a downgraded minimalistic lifestyle or country life. I pity anyone trying to justify to themselves and everyone around that living like a poor thai man is the best feeling in the world..