It'S Amazing How Much Cheaper Food Is In America Than Thailand

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand you Americans , I have been to your country and it isnt a lot of healthy food around. On every street corner there is a fast food chain .

Yes you have som fancy restaurants where you can eat healthy food if you are willing to pay for it.

Most of the Asian food we have in Thailand is healthy and fresh .

If processed frozen food is your thing then fine you can find a lot of that in the US supermarkets and every home needs a microwave.

American cuisine? Its non existent.

And dont tell me that food is cheaper in America. Try the food courts in any shopping mall here in Bangkok , you pay 30-60 baht for really tasty food that is good for your health. You can keep your fat greasy burgers , we dont need them.

Are you serious? First, where isn't fast food on every corner?

Second, the US has many more healthy food choices than just "som (sic) fancy restaurant." You can get healthy food at most fast food chains in the US, and that doesn't even begin to list all the healthy food choices. Try Souplantation, for example, for healthy food.

Third, while I love Thai street food, most of it is rather unhealthy with loads of sodium and sugar, unrefridgerated meats, and three week old frying oil. I mean, I love the stuff, but other than maybe somtam, most Thai street food is far from healthy. And food court food is not much better. Cheaper, yes, but not healthier.

But the premise of this thread was that most supermarket food in the US is cheaper than in Thailand, not that the cuisine is better or the food is healthier.

Edited by luckizuchinni

When I was younger, we used to have religous debates, that mostly involved throwing stones at the other school over the wall.

I am glad to see that the same debating skills would serve me well on this forum.

Meandering perilously close to on topic, a friend of mine, on being offered a piece of exotic fruit (I forget what) said "No thanks - if they were any good, Sainsbury's would stock it"

and to be honest, I concur. We are truly blessed in the West with a surfeit of choices when it comes to the culinary experience and while it may be possible to get certain limited cuisine options at lower cost here, THailand cannot match the variety and economy that refrigerated shipping, wealthy consumers, efficient logistics and competitive retailers can combine to offer us.

SC

Imported foods in Thailand are very expensive,compared with the UK,and for the most part poor quality,and lacking in choice,

I've never seen such a miserable overpriced collection of cheeses/hams,perhaps its because i've never been a fan of French mushy cheeses,Dutch Rubber,and Vacuam packed processed Hams,and sausages stuffed with something akin to Porridge.

Can't honestly say that in 7.5 years in Thailand,I ever had a memorable Steak,that didn't take a lot of chewing,and sometimes even made my jaws ache,I have even had tough Pork in Thailand,something I thought was impossible to get. it's surprising how standards and quality also drop,with lack of choice,and a captive group of shoppers,who are going nowhere.

After the first year or two in Thailand,the quality and standards become acceptable,and not as noticeable...until you go back home.

The collossal selection of high quality cheeses,dairy products,meats,vegetables,Bakery Products,Fresh Sea food (we dont eat many types of Freshwater fish in the UK,most are considered tasteless,and unedible),and hundreds of Real Ales/Beers,says it all,a real eyeopener when one goes back,and as the OP states also much cheaper,than in Thailand.

But of course the price of Petrol,Alchohol,and Services,and overall cost of living is much higher,in the UK,so probably no real gain,except quality and satisfaction for money spent.

Comparing UK Supermarket quality, with Thai supermarkets,food, and prices,and what's on offer, is like comparing chalk and cheese,i'm sorry to say!

I suppose I haven't spent that much time in Bangkok or Pattaya, so there must be exceptions.

This post is spot on. I don't mind paying premium prices but I expect premium products. The imported meats they sell would only be fit for dog food back home. Some people say well imported stuff such as burritos in a restaurant are justifiably higher priced than their counterpart in the west. Look at what you get for a burrito in Thailand compared to say San Diego. Everything will be of a much higher quality and three times the portions. I won't get into Thai food vs. Farang food discussion as I don't care for Asian food much. If you are a Farang living in Thailand and can afford to eat whatever you want it is challenging to eat well as quality products just don't really exist there. If you consider a nasty, grayish, frozen, Australian steak a treat then you have never eaten good steak before.

So in regards to the high end of eating I would say Thailand is more expensive to get anything that even comes close to the west. If you don't mind eating unripe fruit, pig snout soup and such then sure Thailand is cheaper.

You can go get a Steak for $100 in either the USA (Think aged Texas beef here) or Thailand at a restaurant, which do you think will be nicer? So I can't really see how people can justify paying gourmet prices for sub par products. So in regards to people's views it depends on what you typically prefer to eat. In my case eating in the USA is much cheaper for me.

This thread was also about food prices in the USA as opposed to Thailand. All the posts comparing heating, electricity, etc. were pointless and had no bearing to the OP. Also people commenting about food prices in other countries were pointless as last time I looked Europe, NZ, Canada and OZ are not in the USA. This topic comes up so often and the answer is always the same.... if you eat live like a Thai it is much cheaper, if the dietary habits of a Thai office worker who earns maybe 10,000 Baht a month don't satisfy you then it isn't cheap. I prefer to be a little higher on the food chain when I dine.

I've been here 10 years and the price of chicken has about doubled and pork up perhaps 50%.

That said, many items that are cheaper in the US now may change very soon...

With the Fukushima fallout landing the US they are now detecting iodine-131 and cesium 134, 137 in crops and milk on the west coast (at least, as reported by UC Berkely - perhaps across the US by now), food may become a big issue (non-radioactive food, that is). Fukushima is also reportedly releasing large amounts of highly contaminated water into the Pacific, which will likely affect the fisheries in Alaska, as that is where the ocean currents will take it. Alaska accounts for something on the order of 50-60% of America's seafood harvest.

(see: http://www.alaskaseafooddirect.com/alaska-fishing-industry.php)

This, after BP pretty much destroyed the fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico, another significant source of seafood. In addition, the price of oil is climbing again, putting even more pressure on food (and everything else).

if you eat live like a Thai it is much cheaper, if the dietary habits of a Thai office worker who earns maybe 10,000 Baht a month don't satisfy you then it isn't cheap.

Horse manure. It is not one choice or the other. I eat a lot of healthy, inexpensive Thai food (there is great vegetarian food available almost everywhere for almost nothing) and local Western food (like pork and ham for example ) that is not imported and Thais like as well. Of course I splurge on expensive/imported items as well, but I sometimes did the same thing back home. If I wanted real San Francisco sour dough bread when I was on the east coast, I had to pay way more for it than in San Francisco.

I have never lived anywhere that all the prices were the same as somewhere else, so I acclimate to where I am and pick and choose according to what I'm willing to pay. It is just common sense really and I have a much better lifestyle at a much lower price than I could ever have back home.

Edited by Ulysses G.

When I was younger, we used to have religous debates, that mostly involved throwing stones at the other school over the wall.

I am glad to see that the same debating skills would serve me well on this forum.

Meandering perilously close to on topic, a friend of mine, on being offered a piece of exotic fruit (I forget what) said "No thanks - if they were any good, Sainsbury's would stock it"

and to be honest, I concur. We are truly blessed in the West with a surfeit of choices when it comes to the culinary experience and while it may be possible to get certain limited cuisine options at lower cost here, THailand cannot match the variety and economy that refrigerated shipping, wealthy consumers, efficient logistics and competitive retailers can combine to offer us.

SC

I believe that variety, that you speak of, is a bit of a myth.

I've been here 10 years and the price of chicken has about doubled and pork up perhaps 50%.

That said, many items that are cheaper in the US now may change very soon...

With the Fukushima fallout landing the US they are now detecting iodine-131 and cesium 134, 137 in crops and milk on the west coast (at least, as reported by UC Berkely - perhaps across the US by now), food may become a big issue (non-radioactive food, that is). Fukushima is also reportedly releasing large amounts of highly contaminated water into the Pacific, which will likely affect the fisheries in Alaska, as that is where the ocean currents will take it. Alaska accounts for something on the order of 50-60% of America's seafood harvest.

(see: http://www.alaskasea...ng-industry.php)

This, after BP pretty much destroyed the fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico, another significant source of seafood. In addition, the price of oil is climbing again, putting even more pressure on food (and everything else).

Very good and informative post--a bit scary too, the part about radioactive elements getting into the food chain. And, yes, I agree that food prices for virtually everything have soared over the past decade and will likely go up more because of the "oil problem" and "radiation problem."

country.....consumer price..............rent..........consumer price+rent.......... groceries..........restaurant

Thailand............41.79......................21.72....................34.58...........................46.22.................24.84

United States....76.19......................40.24....................63.28...........................71.03.................60.23

:whistling:

country.....consumer price..............rent..........consumer price+rent.......... groceries..........restaurant

Thailand............41.79......................21.72....................34.58...........................46.22.................24.84

United States....76.19......................40.24....................63.28...........................71.03.................60.23

Well...you left off my favorite categories: Steak and wine! :(

:lol:

If you are buying at a local market, if you are eating at typical Thai restaurants, then of course Thailand is cheaper.

Quality in the local markets is not as good, though. I buy some things there on a weekly basis, but for some items, frankly, I have to go to Fresh Mart or Villa Market. And at one of these stores, without a doubt, for a basket of groceries, prices in Thailand are higher, the variety smaller, and the quality lower. This is not only for imported foods, but for Thai-produced foods as well.

If you are buying at a local market, if you are eating at typical Thai restaurants, then of course Thailand is cheaper.

Quality in the local markets is not as good, though. I buy some things there on a weekly basis, but for some items, frankly, I have to go to Fresh Mart or Villa Market. And at one of these stores, without a doubt, for a basket of groceries, prices in Thailand are higher, the variety smaller, and the quality lower. This is not only for imported foods, but for Thai-produced foods as well.

For sure...I have a hard time buying meat/seafood that has been sitting out for hours and covered in flies. Supermarket is the place for me....

if you are eating at typical Thai restaurants, then of course Thailand is cheaper

the times when (as a tourist) i frequented "typical Thai restaurants" are long gone. what i am comparing nowadays is a fancy buffet with the focus on seafood (prawns, shrimps, rock lobster, you name it) and of course a zillion other things for which i pay in a top hotel restaurant in Pattaya or BKK 800 Baht with the food i am getting for 20 EURos in Europe or 29 Dollars in the U.S.

a simple hotel breakfast buffet in Europe is 20-30 EURos!

result: Thailand beats Europe and the U.S. hands down (except the subsidised buffets in Las Vegas hotels).

if you are eating at typical Thai restaurants, then of course Thailand is cheaper

the times when (as a tourist) i frequented "typical Thai restaurants" are long gone. what i am comparing nowadays is a fancy buffet with the focus on seafood (prawns, shrimps, rock lobster, you name it) and of course a zillion other things for which i pay in a top hotel restaurant in Pattaya or BKK 800 Baht with the food i am getting for 20 EURos in Europe or 29 Dollars in the U.S.

result: Thailand beats Europe and the U.S. hands down (except the subsidised buffets in Las Vegas hotels).

And in Thailand you have the added "bonus" of eating food after those who make it have picked their noses clean! Where is the barf bag?

And in Thailand you have the added "bonus" of eating food after those who make it have picked their noses clean! Where is the barf bag?

That is not a Thailand only problem. In the West, you have to worry about the help expectorating in your meal if you upset them somehow. :whistling:

That is not a Thailand only problem. In the West, you have to worry about the help expectorating in your meal if you upset them somehow. :whistling:

Yes, the stories might astound some. :o

What "top hotel restaurant" charges only 800 baht? The Grand Hyatt Erawan, the Conrad, the Sheraton, the Landmark, the Sukothai, Oriental, and Marriot Sunday brunches are all at least twice that.

800baht gives you the Oishi Grand, but I would love to find a really top buffet for 800 baht.

American cuisine! whats that... A slab of meat and potato...

American breakfast for 120bt. thats like 4$. wayyyy over priced.t wooooo fried egg, hot dog, toast coffee amazingly complex farang food for 120bt!!!

Ah, I love it when posters ignore post after post to try and put forth their own prejudices! A number of posers have given examples of American cuisine, yet some people like to flaunt their ignorance.

And hot dogs as part of an "American Breakfast?" Nowhere in the US, that is for sure.

American cuisine! whats that... A slab of meat and potato...

American breakfast for 120bt. thats like 4$. wayyyy over priced.t wooooo fried egg, hot dog, toast coffee amazingly complex farang food for 120bt!!!

Ah, I love it when posters ignore post after post to try and put forth their own prejudices! A number of posers have given examples of American cuisine, yet some people like to flaunt their ignorance.

And hot dogs as part of an "American Breakfast?" Nowhere in the US, that is for sure.

A hot dog is what you get when you order an American breakie in Thailand! You don;t often get a proper sausage!

Be honest, American cuisine is pretty salty and bland when compared to the complex flavours of Thai food.

Be honest, American cuisine is pretty salty and bland when compared to the complex flavours of Thai food.

That is not always true. Have you ever tried Cajun cuisine? Soul food? Texas BBQ? Creole? Tex-Mex? Besides, much Thai food is so overwhelmed by chilies that it is impossible to taste anything else.

That is not a Thailand only problem. In the West, you have to worry about the help expectorating in your meal if you upset them somehow. :whistling:her

Correct but not really comparable. In one case something is extremely common (even Monks do it), and it the other case it is extremely rare and probably would only happen if the cook is angry at you. Really, you should not make excuses for the abhorrent and disgusting Thai concept of hygiene. It is an unfortunately reality for expats who live here. Most of the time, I think, we just don't think about it. Another unfortunate reality in Thailand related to food is the massive amounts of pesticides that farmers use--pesticides that eventually end up in your meal whether street food or at the most expensive restaurant. These pesticides will eventually kill you. Most of us do not think about it. And, yes, this is real and dangerous. Another thread talks about species loss in Thailand. The misuse of pesticides in one major reason--in the food chain, in the water, etc. Yes, food bargains can be found in Thailand, but at a cost to your health! Thailand must rank near the bottom in terms of hygiene awareness.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

What "top hotel restaurant" charges only 800 baht? The Grand Hyatt Erawan, the Conrad, the Sheraton, the Landmark, the Sukothai, Oriental, and Marriot Sunday brunches are all at least twice that.

800baht gives you the Oishi Grand, but I would love to find a really top buffet for 800 baht.

delete BKK please. last time i stayed in the Shangri La when i paid 800 Baht was six years ago. Hilton, Pattaya charges 800 Baht.

In one case something is extremely common (even Monks do it), and it the other case it is extremely rare and probably would only happen if the cook is angry at you.

Don't forget the waitress or waiter and it is not as uncommon as you seem to think.

delete BKK please. last time i stayed in the Shangri La when i paid 800 Baht was six years ago. Hilton, Pattaya charges 800 Baht.

For now, that buffet at the Hilton can't be beat...especially the seafood buffet on Friday night for 800B. Lunch is 300B...for now...and what a view...

That is not a Thailand only problem. In the West, you have to worry about the help expectorating in your meal if you upset them somehow. :whistling:her

Correct but not really comparable. In one case something is extremely common (even Monks do it), and it the other case it is extremely rare and probably would only happen if the cook is angry at you. Really, you should not make excuses for the abhorrent and disgusting Thai concept of hygiene. It is an unfortunately reality for expats who live here. Most of the time, I think, we just don't think about it. Another unfortunate reality in Thailand related to food is the massive amounts of pesticides that farmers use--pesticides that eventually end up in your meal whether street food or at the most expensive restaurant. These pesticides will eventually kill you. Most of us do not think about it. And, yes, this is real and dangerous. Another thread talks about species loss in Thailand. The misuse of pesticides in one major reason--in the food chain, in the water, etc. Yes, food bargains can be found in Thailand, but at a cost to your health! Thailand must rank near the bottom in terms of hygiene awareness.

I suppose a lot of people here have not really travelled very much. Thailand rates comparable, in my experience, with its peers in terms of hygiene and cleanliness - better than the Philippines, worse than Malaysia, not vastly different from backwoods Hong Kong or Ang Mo Kio. The last time I suffered from food-related illness was Calcutta Cup night, 2001; some fish ball noodle soup would not stay down; that was in Wanchai. And prior to that, I would have to go back to my sixteenth birthday, and a Fray Bentos Steak Pie.... oh - and a trip to Tijuana that had us all laid low. If only I could say the same thing about the drink... though I do not think that Thai hygiene is a significant contributor in that case.

I don't really see why "you have to worry..."; my recommendation is not to worry; if you perceive a problem, take action and don't worry; if you don't perceive a problem, don't worry about imaginary or potential problems.

SC