Between A Rock And A Hard Place!

DavieA

Yesterday I received some fairly disturbing news from my employer (agency) and I kindly ask for anyone who may have some constructive ideas or solutions to my problem.

I have been working in Thailand as a serious and dedicated English teacher for 18 months now. I completed my TEFL in Phuket and gained a work permit under the guise of yes, “a fake degree from Koa San Rd”. I don’t have a bachelor degree in any field so that’s what my employer asked me to do to get around the problem of working in Thailand.

I do have a trade certificate in Dispensing Optics, 2 certificates in Internal Auditing, and a long 12 years work experience in the real world from qualified tradesman, leading hand, staff trainer, and 6 years as an internal auditor before arriving in Thailand. I also applied to uni 3 weeks ago for a bachelor degree in further education and training. That’s all beside the point. I just want you to understand I am no backpacker teacher, and I don’t want this to become another debate about uni degree vs no uni degree.

My problem began yesterday when my employer told me that I have no job as of the end of the month. Reason being, when he went to apply for my new work permit last week, the man in the employment office picked up that my degree was a fake. I was refused a work permit and my name has been blacklisted. I now don’t know what my options are.

If I try to get a job in a new school, new province etc, will the employment office (in a different province) pick it up? Are they connected nationally? How do I tell my potential new employer of this and still expect to get the job?

The way I see it I have 3 bad options. 1 - Move and try for a new job in a new province and not say anything and hope that I pull it off. 2 – Work illegally on a tourist visa in a school that’s prepared to cooperate. 3 – Return to Australia and complete my degree there.

In summary. Option 1 is risky. Option 2 is riskier and for me out of the question. I don’t want to be doing visa runs every month. Option 3 is also complicated by the fact that I have a serious Thai GF. We have been living together for over a year now and the thought of having to leave her behind kills me. If it wasn’t for this fact, I’d go home in a flash.

2 questions for you all:

1 - Any suggestions? 2 - Is anyone looking for a professional and dedicated teacher that’s prepared to hire me in light of what my situation is?

Regards

Dave

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go home Dave, get your degree and come back totally legal.

If your TGF Loves you as much as you Love her she will wait, plus you can get a P/T job in Oz and save up to come back regularly until you qualify legitamatley.

Its tough , and I personally take no pleasure in giving you this advice, but unless you want to be looking over your shoulder all the time and want some peace of mind for your future this is what I advise, but of course its only my opinion.

Good Luck, whatever you decide to do

TP

good advice from thaipauly there. Though one option would be to go to university here. There are some good ones, it is laughably easy, and will not only be legit, but a big plus for working in thailand. There are lots of degrees taught in English, or if you learn in Thai the teachers will let you take exams in English. Plus - a degree is a good thing to have under your belt anyway, and you can likely help teach english at the thai uni to subsidise yourself. Thai Uni is CHEAP too :o (also full of tempting girlies ....) As a student in a thai uni, you will get a 1 year non - s visa (student visa).

Edited by Pandit

By using a fake degree you are denying another person who possesses all the right qualifications a job.

To suggest faking it again in another province is not an honourable option.

Give some thought to the students who are trying to learn from an unqualified teacher.

Are they getting the best possible education?

Get your (genuine) degree first and then re-apply.

Sorry for your predicament. You don't say where you are currently employed. I know of people with somewhat similar problems who have been "caught" in BKK, but did get jobs up-country. I don't think the work-permit people are too well connected to one another (but I don't know for sure).

As a previous poster noted, your best bet is to get enrolled in a university here (if you want to stay). There are a number of international universities with programs in English--some might be a bit pricy, though. There are local universities that also have international programs in English.

I don't know exactly where or how to check the different Universities out. I do know that Webster University has a campus in Cha Am (I think) and classes in BKK.

Good luck.

Mighty Mouse!!!!

I was tempted to be true to the post and ignore your obviously useless comment but I coulnd't help myself.

1) Russle up a few examples (for yourself) of useless degree holding teachers you have met (if you are as much a veteran as you should be to write such a comment, that won't be a challange for you)

2) Russle up a few examples of great teachers you have met that don't hold a degree (once again shouldn't be difficult - I can list loads)

3) Use your head: Thailand can't afford 'qualified' teachers (you get a degree in a foreign country you expect to earn decent money, so then why would you come to Thailand for anything other than a backpack, or a cheap whoring holiday - definately wouldn't be for the money?) (a bit harsh probably, but you get the point)

4) Thailand has recently considered hiring 2nd language teachers from the philipines etc because they are cheaper - where is the priority, a native speaker or a the high face of a 'degree'?

5) Have a bit of sympathy for the poster who obviously has a heart and cares about his teaching - 80% of being a good teacher is caring

6) Have you looked at the job vacancy pages recently - I doubt the poster would be holding anyone back by not having a degree

7) If this was in a more organised more demanding higher level country your argument may have been vaild, but.......

I hope I've said enough, back to the topic at hand.....

Long distance is hard work (speaking from experience) but it's all priorities, whats more important your GF or a comfortable job and money?

Edited by awarrumbungle

Davie, don't look on this as a problem, but an obstacle you have to pass.

Have you thought of getting one of those life degrees?

http://www.earlscroft.com/faq.htm

http://www.diplomaservices.com/index.html

http://www.righttrackref.org/pages/2/index.htm

If I try to get a job in a new school, new province etc, will the employment office (in a different province) pick it up? Are they connected nationally? How do I tell my potential new employer of this and still expect to get the job?

It is not the employment office that has rejected your 'degree', it's the Ministry of Education. I know guys in bangkok who have been rejected with real ones!

Upcountry, I don't think that the MOE is involved in the granting of work permits. I know if you work for a Uni, it is up to the President.

Try again with a new school. I know someone with a fake degree who got their WP when applying with a school with contacts.

Maybe the school is bullshitting and just want to get rid of you for another reason. It wasn't Siam Computer, by any chance was it? I know the manager there who says they are having problems because of not paying the MOE their usual tea money.

Good post awarrumbungle.

Don't go home Davie, stay and find away around this predicament. Believe me, there will be a way. The best five or so teachers I have met don't have degrees.

I heard that the MOE can date the paper on which the degree is printed. The thai forgers will soon find a way to overcome this.

The fact is that many places in Thailand would rather have a farang teacher without a degree than a Phillipino with a PhD. Your future employers will look after you if you are honest with them. Good luck.

If you can't find anything, PM me and I can help you out with work upcountry. ###### of a better than Bangkok anyway. :o

Davey,

I am sorry if I gave you a "Bum Steer" I have never been a teacher and did not know that a Foreigner could get a degree here.

There is some good advice been given by others "in the know" so things could be looking up for you, I do hope so

Good Luck, I am sure we will be seeing you posting on brighter topics when you have sorted everything out

Mighty Mouse!!!! 

I was tempted to be true to the post and ignore your obviously useless comment but I coulnd't help myself.

1) Russle up a few examples (for yourself) of useless degree holding teachers you have met (if you are as much a veteran as you should be to write such a comment, that won't be a challange for you)

2) Russle up a few examples of great teachers you have met that don't hold a degree (once again shouldn't be difficult - I can list loads)

3) Use your head: Thailand can't afford 'qualified' teachers (you get a degree in a foreign country you expect to earn decent money, so then why would you come to Thailand for anything other than a backpack, or a cheap whoring holiday - definately wouldn't be for the money?) (a bit harsh probably, but you get the point)

4) Thailand has recently considered hiring 2nd language teachers from the philipines etc because they are cheaper - where is the priority, a native speaker or a the high face of a 'degree'?

5) Have a bit of sympathy for the poster who obviously has a heart and cares about his teaching - 80% of being a good teacher is caring

6) Have you looked at the job vacancy pages recently - I doubt the poster would be holding anyone back by not having a degree

7) If this was in a more organised more demanding higher level country your argument may have been vaild, but.......

Long distance is hard work (speaking from experience) but it's all priorities, whats more important your GF or a comfortable job and money?

Your attack has been noted, as has all of your spelling mistakes. Please check how to spell: couldn't, challenge, definite, Philippines and there is no such word as "russle." Perhaps it is you who needs to get a degree in elementary education.

The OP asked for opinions from others. I gave mine and I see nothing in your argument to make me change my mind.

Your attack has been noted, as has all of your spelling mistakes. Please check how to spell: couldn't, challenge, definite, Philippines and there is no such word as "russle." Perhaps it is you who needs to get a degree in elementary education.

Get a grip man! What's wrong with a spelling mistake.

Are you free from faults?

Why are you in Thailand I wonder :o

Are you educating Thai youngsters down in pattaya?

Actually I do make mistakes. In fact I made an error in my comment above.

I wrote: "...as has all of your spelling mistakes," and it should read, "as HAVE all of your spelling mistakes."

As for your comment regarding the "Thai youngsters," I hope you are not implying that I am a 'rock spider.' If you are, it was not appreciated nor funny.

Come on - it has to be said that if the OP can't spell - he shouldn't be teaching. It's not that hard to spell rustle. He had 2 tries.

Personally - I would be pretty angry if someone was teaching my kid just because it's the only way he can stay here with the girl he met on holiday.

I like teachers that are educated in teaching. The teachers at my kids school are often telling me stuff about educating him that I'd simply never have thought of doing before. They are educating me and my child.

I'd reason that this kind of knowledge may be missing from the uneducated teachers. I could be wrong but wouldn't want to risk my kids education.

By using a fake degree you are denying another person who possesses all the right qualifications a job.

Give some thought to the students who are trying to learn from an unqualified teacher.

Sorry mighty, i disagree with you. I've seen 2 teachers come and go very quickly through my school this year, and several at my school last year. All degree holders (accounting etc), all crap or alcoholic. I run rings around them in classroom.

Mighty Mouse!!!! 

Thanks a heap Bungle! Made me feel a little better about my situation.

:o

Mighty mouse and pedro I thought I might just remind you of a point I made previously.

Your arguments are fair and just in a country with higher demands, wages, competence - it's all relevent to the environment.

We're talking about teaching English here, not physics, maths etc IN THAILAND.

If Thailand came 1st in SE Asia's recent English rankings than once again you might have a point.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, if your kid is teaching you, then what are you doing teaching? (I say this for the sake of your argument - I personally think learning and teaching is a two way process, for the teacher and student)

Also, May I ask what education actually is?? This is not a language school. There is more involved with teaching then correct spelling and a degree on the wall. These are kids, easily influenced, looking for role models, needing guidance, in a critical phase of life. Leaving 'some girl' for a more comfortable life is hardly a good example - what happened to genuine relationships with genuine people (I'm referring to the type of person that would commit to this - not about what you tell the students). Or would you rather some highly educated drunk and playboy that fails to turn up to school sober or at all?

We are both generalising to win an argument. But I am also arguing that you have to look at the person not the stereotype (which you appear to be doing)

From his post it looks pretty clear that he enjoys his job (he would still teach in Aus), so that would indicate your 'just some' girl argument was a rash and unthoughtfull judgement on something you don't know enough about.

I probably could have structured, worded and spelt this post better, but I'm submitting it for my concepts not my grammar. A teacher is never perfect no matter how educated he is.

Edited by awarrumbungle

Davie, don't look on this as a problem, but an obstacle you have to pass.

Have you thought of getting one of those life degrees?

http://www.earlscroft.com/faq.htm

http://www.diplomaservices.com/index.html

http://www.righttrackref.org/pages/2/index.htm

It is not the employment office that has rejected your 'degree', it's the Ministry of Education. I know guys in bangkok who have been rejected with real ones!

Upcountry, I don't think that the MOE is involved in the granting of work permits. I know if you work for a Uni, it is up to the President.

Try again with a new school. I know someone with a fake degree who got their WP when applying with a school with contacts.

Maybe the school is bullshitting and just want to get rid of you for another reason. It wasn't Siam Computer, by any chance was it? I know the manager there who says they are having problems because of not paying the MOE their usual tea money.

Good post awarrumbungle.

Don't go home Davie, stay and find away around this predicament. Believe me, there will be a way. The best five or so teachers I have met don't have degrees.

I heard that the MOE can date the paper on which the degree is printed. The thai forgers will soon find a way to overcome this.

The fact is that many places in Thailand would rather have a farang teacher without a degree than a Phillipino with a PhD. Your future employers will look after you if you are honest with them. Good luck.

If you can't find anything, PM me and I can help you out with work upcountry. ###### of a better than Bangkok anyway. :o

Thanks for your support Neeranam. Nice post!

Sorry mighty, i disagree with you. I've seen 2 teachers come and go very quickly through my school this year, and several at my school last year. All degree holders (accounting etc), all crap or alcoholic. I run rings around them in classroom.

I have no reason to disagree with what you state above, I'll accept it as fact. I'm sure there are hundreds/thousands of qualified teachers in Thailand who can't properly perform the job for which they are employed, all for various reasons.

You stated that you will lose your teaching job at the end of this month because your degree was found to be fake.

The message I get from that comment is that your current school want only qualified teachers, not someone who cannot renew his work permit because of fake documentation.

I'm not stating that you are not a good teacher. You may well be a far superior teacher to many/most of those with genuine degrees. I can't assess your abilities, nor can anyone else contributing to this thread. (unless they know you personally.)

I can only assume that those teachers who have gone to the trouble of getting their degrees, have been able to meet a certain standard and therefore would, or should, be better qualified to provide a superior education to students, as opposed to a 'teacher' who carries fake documents.

If I was paying for my child's education, I would want my child's teacher to be fully and genuinely qualified. Obviously your current school has the same opinion.

I should state here that I am not a teacher, so I have no inside knowledge of the teaching industry.

And yet another thread becomes a wrangle- or a rustle- or a wrestle- over qualifications, fake degrees, etc., etc.

I have the feeling we should all just save files with our viewpoints and copy and paste them into any thread that becomes infected with this kind of debate, because no one's obviously truly open to changing their mind of the topic.

Once again, my POV:

1. For TEFL: native English +TEFL cert. ok

2. For subject: subject cert. + teaching experience *or* teaching qualification with/without experience ok

And no, nothing anyone's likely to post here is likely to change this point of view.

"Steven"

"Steven",

Why would we need to change our minds over this issue at all?

If you are a genuine teacher with credentials and can pass whatever entry tests there is, good on you. If not, sod off.

I have no kids, but I would hate to see any kid having to suffer in the hands of one of these "Kao San Road" backpackers.

Woodentop you've got some serious arrogance and sterotyping issues mate.

There is a difference between experience and a degree.

There is also a difference between a backpacker teacher with a degree, a backpacker teacher without a degree and a dedicated nonbackpacker teacher without a degree.

I think you need to look at some of your assumptions. I dislike the backpacker loser, drunk no hoper teachers that drift through thailand ruinning a good students education too, regardless of whether they've got a degree or not.

Maybe you need to read between DavieA' original post and see that he quite obviously isn't a backpacker.

BTW I do have a degree, but I personally don't think that my degree makes me a better teacher, it's my experience and attitude that does.

I don't have any kids, but personally if I did, I wouldn't want them to have such narrowminded arrogant teachers such as yourself.

and too mighty mouse, thanks i think we are coming to an understanding, with a bit more explanation I can now see where you are coming from. But I still don't see a line up of qualified teachers knocking on school doors. All we seem to get at our school is qualified losers. Perhaps the emphasis should be on screening for drunks and losers not fake degrees.

Edited by awarrumbungle

I have no reason to disagree with what you state above, I'll accept it as fact. I'm sure there are hundreds/thousands of qualified teachers in Thailand who can't properly perform the job for which they are employed, all for various reasons.

You stated that you will lose your teaching job at the end of this month because your degree was found to be fake.

The message I get from that comment is that your current school want only qualified teachers, not someone who cannot renew his work permit because of fake documentation.

I'm not stating that you are not a good teacher. You may well be a far superior teacher to many/most of those with genuine degrees. I can't assess your abilities, nor can anyone else contributing to this thread. (unless they know you personally.)

I can only assume that those teachers who have gone to the trouble of getting their degrees, have been able to meet a certain standard and therefore would, or should, be better qualified to provide a superior education to students, as opposed to a 'teacher' who carries fake documents.

If I was paying for my child's education, I would want my child's teacher to be fully and genuinely qualified. Obviously your current school has the same opinion.

I should state here that I am not a teacher, so I have no inside knowledge of the teaching industry.

Mighty I can appriciate the angle you come from. A teacher should be qualified. If I was a science or Maths teacher I would agree whole heartedly. But in Thailand, an "English language" teacher can have a degree in any field. I don't agree with these rules. They are stupid!

Who would you rather teach your kid?

Person A - A 24 year old that's just finished a fine arts degree, and the only work experience he has is a part time job in starbucks while doing his degree. But according to Thailands rules, "Qualified to teach"

OR

Person B - A 33 year old with 12 years of work experience as a qualified Dispensing optician, Internal Auditor, Supervisor, staff trainer, TEFL training.....I could go on. But according to Thailand, "Not qualified to teach because I don't have that bit of paper that says Bachelor degree"

I don't deny I am cheating the system. My argument is when you look at the statistics above, how can one say that person A is more acceptable to teach than person B.

Now answer the question. Who would you rather teach your kid how to speak English? (not teach Physics or Maths)

Edited by DavieA

you can teach or you can not,

davieA

from my experience in england where we have a higher degree of education than thailand, a degree is a requirement to teach.

however i am in an industry that likes to employ people with degrees for higher management positions so they are employed directly from university with no practical experience of the task in hand only theory. the cost to the construction industry is unbelievable. and the man management skills are zero.

this is the same as teaching, some body gets thier degree and can teach in thailand with no experience. from your posts i believe you take your job seriously and i also believe experience is of more importance than just having a degree.

i see you have taken your tefl so therefor you have the basic skills to pass on to others. teaching is more about motivation and enjoyment than being brain washed with perfect grammer and spelling.

do not get put off by some of the posters here that flame you for what you are trying to do,

if i were you get in touch with the positive posters that have offered to help you,

so chin up and best foot forward,

and i wish you all the best with your endevours.

regards

steve

Yeah right. Sounds really good in theory. But how are the thousand or so Thai schools in and around BKK ALL supposed to attract, recruit and afford qualified teachers from native speaking countries to teach the kids English???

And why would a qualified PE / maths / commerce etc teacher be a better than a TEFL qualified teacher to teach Thai kids English as a foreign language anyway?

Yeah right. Sounds really good in theory. But how are the thousand or so Thai schools in and around BKK ALL supposed to attract, recruit and afford qualified teachers from native speaking countries to teach the kids English???

And why would a qualified PE / maths / commerce etc teacher be a better than a TEFL qualified teacher to teach Thai kids English as a foreign language anyway?

I don't know how the schools go about advertising for English teachers. Likewise, I don't know how many qualified teachers apply for such positions however, if I was applying for such a position in a school that paid higher wages than the rest, and if I had gone to the trouble of obtaining all the relevent qualifications, I would be really pissed off if I lost the job to someone who produced fake papers.

That person would be denying me the position. The fact that he submitted fake papers to satisfy the requirements of the teaching position, amounts to fraud.

Do you regard that as fair?

As for the second part of your question, I can't really answer that with any accuracy, nor, I suggest, could you.

I don't know how the schools go about advertising for English teachers. Likewise, I don't know how many qualified teachers apply for such positions however, if I was applying for such a position in a school that paid higher wages than the rest, and if I had gone to the trouble of obtaining all the relevent qualifications, I would be really pissed off if I lost the job to someone who produced fake papers.

That person would be denying me the position. The fact that he submitted fake papers to satisfy the requirements of the teaching position, amounts to fraud.

As for the second part of your question, I can't really answer that with any accuracy, nor, I suggest, could you.

The answer to the first part would be that qualified teachers are mostly recruited and apply for positions from OS and at Int. School expos around the world. Some are recruited locally from other schools too.

But the reality is 99% Thai schools don't have a hope in ###### of offering conditions/standards/pay/career opps etc that would attract a fully qualified teacher from abroad. International schools do though, and there are loads in BKK.

If you are a fully qualified teacher, you would not be competing for a position at a school that the op likely teaches at I can assure you. So real teachers really needn't worry about being denied a job by 'fake' teachers. Point is moot.

I reckon I can answer that second question as it's pure logic. One who is trained to teach EFL would in theory be better at teaching it than one who hasn't.

It is all part of the vocation. yes, it has happened to me before, and is annoying. What can you do, inform the authorities? there are teachers I know of with high positions at International schools! one is the top school in Thailand.

It may be fraud in your country but one thing you don't seem to realise - this is Thailand, things are done differently here. If you are going to stay here, you'd be best leaving your Western attitudes behind.