Between A Rock And A Hard Place!

DavieA

That's like telling us you are going to rape a goat & even if we don't agree - which h*le would be best...
I would suggest any h*le towards the rear Pedro - they don't have teeth at that end! :o
I think I am qualified to fly a plane - anyone mind if I take the formal training later?

5555 Brit, as sharp as ever!

I wish that LoS had the money to get the best native speaking English teachers with the best qualifications, but it doesn't.

I'm not a teacher, but I'm a qualified profesional and I'm surrounded with people who are over-qualified and worthless and others that are unqulaified and good (of course there are people the 'right way around' too!). Degrees mean diddly really - they just get you your first set of interviews after that its experience all the way.

Teaching exerience and actually being a good (as in good at teaching and knows his/her subject), dedicated teacher is infinatley more precious too me. Of course, it should be educated 'real' teachers that get the experience in the first place, but it isn't always.

Too my way of thinking, if DavieA meets the requirements above, then I'd be happy for him to teach my children English as a foreign language (if they were not already fluent in English anyway that is). I would still expect a 'subject teacher' to either suitably educated or suitably experienced (commercially - as in artist teaching art, computer expert teaching IT or ex-carpanter teaching woodwork etc).

To deprive Thailand of suitable, but not entirely qualified, teaching staff is to deprive them of teaching staff period. In the UK schools have often taken on teachers and teacher assistants that are not degree educated, but have suitable experience and have taken a teaching course - it helps to make up the numbers in posts that are hard to source. It will happen going foward too. In this materialistic world, teaching is more of a vocation than ever and many graduates are just not willing face the hardships of teaching in modern Britain for low wages compared to the private sector jobs - and top up fees and student loans do little to alleviate this.

Having said that, DavieA used a forged (read fake) documentation to fradulently gain a position he knew he was not entitled to (if he believed otherwise, why the deception). This was a risk he took and eventually it lost (as it usually does given enough time). I certainly don't condone this sort of behaviour. I do not believe the arguement that 'everyone else does it so I should be able to too' or 'Thai's break the law, so why can't I' hold any water. It is the Thai's country, if they are willing to take the risk - well its up to them - and they are much more likely to get away with a minor break here and there than a foreigner (or at least for less tea money). In our own countries, we are incensed when some foreigner comes over to commit crimes - why should the Thais be any different. DavieA could have got a job teaching English with just the TEFL (or even without that) in the sticks without having to use deception.

Davie, go get another TEFL post but don't use deception - there are jobs out there, lots of them, that will take you without the degree - study for your exams and do it right. If you can't afford to do it on the unqualified salary, then do it a few days a week and do something else on the other days - this will allow you to keep up your teaching time for the BEd.

Sorry - didn't expect to be a big post, but got carried away!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wolf for you comments, fair and just.

For all who have contributed to this thread, thanks. Been a good debate.

The outcome to it all anyway is that I have got a new job. I have been hired by a a school on my merits and experience, and in the knowledge that I don't have a uni degree. They have welcomed me with open arms. So no need to be looking over my shoulder now.

Only goes to show that a degree is not the law in Thailand in ALL cases. And a TEFL and my experience is welcomed and I can get a WP. The downside is I must relocate, but that's not such a bad thing.

I will now go to my new school who appriciates me and I will give my new students my best efforts a great experience like I have done in the past, much to the discust of some readers.

I just hope Thailand soon comes to realise that they are not in a position of power over this great debate. They expect the best, but they are not nearly competative in what they offer. I hope they can soon learn to get organised with their teaching system for the childrens sake. I think it will take some time yet but I hope sooner than later. For the meantime though, it seems they will just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

I just hope Thailand soon comes to realise that they are not in a position of power over this great debate.  They expect the best, but they are not nearly competative in what they offer.  I hope they can soon learn to get organised with their teaching system for the childrens sake.  I think it will take some time yet but I hope sooner than later.  For the meantime though, it seems they will just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Million baht dreams on a fifty-satang budget. :o

Million baht dreams on a fifty-satang budget.

5555 - Quite so.

Glad you got your job DavieA (on your own, true, merits), I thought you would with the TEFL alone. In 3 years you'll have your degree and half a decade of experience - and with dedication given back a lot to Thailand. Good luck.

I will now go to my new school who appriciates me and I will give my new students my best efforts a great experience like I have done in the past, much to the discust of some readers.

Spelling?

Syntax?

Grammar?

And you claim to be an English teacher?

Your new school has hired a gem Davey boy!

Patrick

QUOTE(DavieA @ 2005-10-06 10:32:57)

Spelling?

Syntax?

Grammar?

And you claim to be an English teacher?

Your new school has hired a gem Davey boy!

Patrick

Give the guy a break.

Isn't it converation that all english teachers teach now? I'm sure it is, which is better for the kids.

The Thais can teach them syntax and grammar, writing and reading.