What Is Best Way To Check If Swift Transfer Went Through

hi,

i recently sent a swift transfer from uk to thailand on thursday 14th april afternoon . i know the thai banks are closed untill monday 18th april. the transfer was sent to kasikorn branch in kumphawapi , udon thani province.

(1) what is the best way of checking to see if this has went through or not ? (2) how can i get the phone number of kasikorn in kumphawapi ? (3) should i check with my bank in uk to see if it has been recieved by other side ?

i am due to fly out to thailand soon, this money is for the purchase of a house in thailand. if the transfer fails i will lose the house and the deposit i have paid also. when i went to bank on thursday to make transfer i made sure all details were correct and made sure the money was sent in sterling gbp ( not converted to thai baht ) . i gave bank the correct swift code for kasikorn and also the correct address of kasikorn branch in kumhawapi.

the teller at my bank in uk asked me for my address in thailand, i live in bann tha kanto, kalasin province but i do not know my villiage name or the name of the soi i live in or even the number of my house, i just wrote ( bann tha kanto , kalasin province ) this is the address that kasikorn have for me on their system. i hope my address in thailand is not essential for the transfer to go through.

thanks in advance . any other advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by dmax

I'm assuming you dont have internet banking with Kasikorn this is the easiest way of checking.

I have been transferring cash from the UK to Kasikorn for over 2 years and to date it has never gone astray.

Your addrerss is not necessary providing you used the correct code and account number and banks address

I dont think you have anything to worry about.

I googled this if it helps and this is your Kasikorn branch.

Kumphawapi Branch

187 Moo 10 Shalae Rd. Rd. Kumphawapi Kumphawapi Udon Thani 41110

0 4220 2941-4 / 0 4233 1992

Tho I think you may have to wait until Monday but give them or the call centre a try.

Edited by Tafia

thanks guys so much, though i am just after leaving my bank in uk ( santander ) the guy in bank told me in order to do a swift transfer from uk to thailand i needed to have an " i-ban " number, i told him that i have been given lots of advice by people on this forum who do swift transfers on a regular basis from uk to thailand and they told me i did not need an I-BAN number but he again insisted i did !!!

i just done a swift thursday past without i-ban number so i hope it goes through or im in the sh*t . with the wife sad.gif

Did you also put "Purchase of property/land at XYZ" as the reason for transfer ?

Get your missus to stick her ATM card in and check the balance.

I also agree that it is likely to be Monday before the funds arrive.This assumes that Santander processed electronically at the time of your visit.

Addresses etc are largely superfluous. Swift code KASITH and the 10 digit account number will suffice.

Edited by cardholder

The Swift transfer most likely will not be processed by the wire transfer folks in Bangkok until Monday morning as they are all out throwing water or getting drunk til then. All wire transfers for any bank go trough the respective bank's head office wire department before getting deposited to anyone's account.

dmax you need to relax a bit. quite understandable that you are nervous about this but relax the cash will arrive but you did pick the worst time of year to make the transfer.

thanks guys so much, though i am just after leaving my bank in uk ( santander ) the guy in bank told me in order to do a swift transfer from uk to thailand i needed to have an " i-ban " number, i told him that i have been given lots of advice by people on this forum who do swift transfers on a regular basis from uk to thailand and they told me i did not need an I-BAN number but he again insisted i did !!!

i just done a swift thursday past without i-ban number so i hope it goes through or im in the sh*t . with the wife sad.gif

Tell him to look at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bank_Account_Number#Geographical_usage

The banks of most countries in Europe provide an IBAN identifier for their accounts as well as nationally recognised identifiers - this being mandatory within the European Economic Area.[6] In addition Dominican Republic, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Mauritania, Mauritius, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, and United Arab Emirates also provide IBAN format account identifiers.

In the absence of an IBAN it remains necessary to use the current ISO 9362 Bank Identifier Code system (BIC or SWIFT code) in conjunction with the BBAN.

If he doesn't believe that, get him to find out what the I-BAN format for Thailand is. When he doesn't find that (because it doesn't exist), tell him to use the SWIFT code.

The Swift transfer most likely will not be processed by the wire transfer folks in Bangkok until Monday morning as they are all out throwing water or getting drunk til then. All wire transfers for any bank go trough the respective bank's head office wire department before getting deposited to anyone's account.

dmax you need to relax a bit. quite understandable that you are nervous about this but relax the cash will arrive but you did pick the worst time of year to make the transfer.

Exactly right, and then on Monday morning there will be a delay because of need to process four days worth of wire transactions.

My pension should have arrived last Wednesday, at least I wont have to wait as long for the next one, happens every April.

By the way little point in calling their call centre as, in my experience, they will not know if the money has arrived until it drops into your account.

Did you also put "Purchase of property/land at XYZ" as the reason for transfer ?

Get your missus to stick her ATM card in and check the balance.

I also agree that it is likely to be Monday before the funds arrive.This assumes that Santander processed electronically at the time of your visit.

Addresses etc are largely superfluous. Swift code KASITH and the 10 digit account number will suffice.

Kasikorn Swift Code: KASI THBK

No I-Ban Numbers in Thailand, = Use Your Kasilorn Account Number

For Additional info = For House Purchase & Personal Expenses

(They like to see a reason for transfers to Thailand)

Edited by Tafia

Online banking is definitely the easiest way to check.

I did a SWIFT transfer from the UK a few weeks ago. It took about 12 hours to hit my Kbank account, and I suspect that most of that was due to it being overnight. An incoming transfer from Europe to the same UK bank took over 3 weeks because they lost it.

How does that help?

UK Banks want a reason for transfer ie: House or Car Purchase, Personal expenses etc...

if you are able to logon to your overseas online bank account if you have already established it on that end. If you have an online bank account here at Kbank. You should be able to access your account information from this part of the world. It will tell you if it had gone through or still pending.

That's how Chase in the U.S. works. When it does go out and if it's a weekend, then I have to wait either until Monday or Tuesday afternoon for it go through to Bangkok Bank over there, before it registers here in Thailand.

if you are able to logon to your overseas online bank account if you have already established it on that end. If you have an online bank account here at Kbank. You should be able to access your account information from this part of the world. It will tell you if it had gone through or still pending.

Kasikorn haven't updated their online bank details since late on Tuesday.

UK Banks want a reason for transfer ie: House or Car Purchase, Personal expenses etc...

Concur, I use 'School-Fees', 'Living-Costs for Summer 2011', 'Purchase Land', all have been acceptable.

HSBC-Jersey also require this information, for my on-line transfers to SCB, but I've never been asked for my IBAN or address in Thailand.

Transfers usually arrive within 2 working-days, but if you hit a UK week-end or a 3-day-Thai-holiday + a Thai week-end, it can delay things ! I sent GBP 1,500 last Monday-morning, which only arrived in my Thai bank-a/c today, the following Monday, due to Songkran. Got 47.975 XRate on it.