Best Pre-Pay 3G Sim Card

tomth

Hi all,

I have conducted a search about this but I wanted to maybe get some more current info on the subject (especially 3G availability!), I'm after a prepay sim card for my Iphone 4 which I have just succesfully unlocked to any carrier, I then want to be able to tether my iphone to my laptop to use the phone credit to go online on the laptop, and while I'm out and about be online on my phone

I understand some companies charge by the time u spend online, rather than how much u have downloaded, I don't want a time limit because whilst at home I like to stay online streaming radio stations etc.

So can anyone advise me on the best deal out there?, with the best 3G coverage and download speeds, I can't get a post paid contract as I don't have a work permit, and I want the freedom of pre-pay really as sometimes I may not be in the country for 2 - 3 months. It would be good if I could just top up in 7-11 too.

I currently live in BKK and will be arriving back there next weekend, I was hoping to go straight to MBK, buy a sim, get it cut to size and use it straight away, I also go down to Pattaya sometimes so a sim with good coverage there would be handy!

Cheers in advance for any tips.

Tom

I can't get a post paid contract as I don't have a work permit

You only need a work permit for working, anyone who tells you different is wrong.

They tried pulling this work permit bullshit on me down at the 'True' office in Fortune IT mall a couple of years back, I told her she was wrong and to go and check with her boss.

I didn't have a work permit and she was wrong as her boss confirmed.

You only need a work permit for working, anyone who tells you different is wrong.

They tried pulling this work permit bullshit on me down at the 'True' office in Fortune IT mall a couple of years back, I told her she was wrong and to go and check with her boss.

So you can get mortgages on Condos and finance Cars without a work permit now too? :blink:

Do a google search on IEC 3G, I have used them they only offer HSPDA, so you can download at 7.2mbps and upload at 384kbps, they only cover BKK at the moment, but are the best priced I think, you will need to use google translate to view the website. True offer HSPA download 7.2mbps and upload 2mbps(currently) but True are much more expensive, but have coverage in BKK & Pattaya.

From my personal experiance, I find your information incorrect, True, Ais will not offer a postpay account to a Non-Thai without a workpermit, I have been to many offices and called them at True headoffice, and they refuse every time, DTAC will do postpay if the applicant has a credit card, and I think a pre-authorisation is taken and a charge ship is competed for secutity but not sent to the bank.

It appears that it depends on who you talk to, whether or not you are told that you need a work permit to get a postpay account.

When I'm in Thailand, I have a tourist visa. I stay a total of 4 months during the year. I rent an apartment. That's all.

I got a postpay account from AIS in December, 2010. There wasn't a word said about a work permit. It took a few people and a couple of minutes, for them to figure out how to correct the address I gave them, so it would go into their system. Once they figured that out, the only other requirement from me was a copy of the front page of my passport. No credit card required. I paid whatever the fee was to set up the account and the first months

charges. Since then, the bills come to my apt. in BKK.

This was my experience. :blink:

TIT

YMMV

Edited by mairuu

I opened a TrueMove postpay account with my retirement visa. DTAC refused to open an account with the same type of visa. After 6 months using TrueMove, think I'm better off with pre-pay since my experience is that they have a problem with overcharging minutes. This has happened to me when I was out of the country, so I am quite sure their accounting system is inaccurate.

From my personal experiance, I find your information incorrect, True, Ais will not offer a postpay account to a Non-Thai without a workpermit, I have been to many offices and called them at True headoffice, and they refuse every time, DTAC will do postpay if the applicant has a credit card, and I think a pre-authorisation is taken and a charge ship is competed for secutity but not sent to the bank.

I opened a TrueMove postpay account with my retirement visa. DTAC refused to open an account with the same type of visa. After 6 months using TrueMove, think I'm better off with pre-pay since my experience is that they have a problem with overcharging minutes. This has happened to me when I was out of the country, so I am quite sure their accounting system is inaccurate.

Please can you tell me where you opened your account? I have been to 10+ branches they bkk want work permit.

From my personal experiance, I find your information incorrect, True, Ais will not offer a postpay account to a Non-Thai without a workpermit.

Sure they will. I have 3 TRUE post pay accounts and I DO NOT have a work permit. I only have a non-immigrant 'O' visa. I also do not have a credit card. This was all done at the Fortune Mall True outlet on the third floor.

I think you just need to speak to the right person at True. If one says no, try another, the next day. Gotta love Thai consistancy.

Edited by WhizBang

Do a google search on IEC 3G, I have used them they only offer HSPDA, so you can download at 7.2mbps and upload at 384kbps, they only cover BKK at the moment, but are the best priced I think, you will need to use google translate to view the website. True offer HSPA download 7.2mbps and upload 2mbps(currently) but True are much more expensive, but have coverage in BKK & Pattaya.

True has unlimited 3G (by volume, however not by speed) for 600–650 THB/month, which includes also about 300 minutes talk time. Does IEC offer anything of a sort? I guess it has no calling service at all.

From my personal experiance, I find your information incorrect, True, Ais will not offer a postpay account to a Non-Thai without a workpermit

It is difficult, but possible. I have a postpaid contract with Truemove, and I got it while having a 30 days on arrival stamp, not even a visa.

From my personal experiance, I find your information incorrect, True, Ais will not offer a postpay account to a Non-Thai without a workpermit

It is difficult, but possible. I have a postpaid contract with Truemove, and I got it while having a 30 days on arrival stamp, not even a visa.

Indeed ... I was offered one without even asking when the store ran out of prepaid sims.

Sorry, wasn't following the post. I'm pretty sure I got it at the main office at Silom. Of course as I get older, my memory fails me. In any case, the True signal is not that strong, doesn't work well in the provinces and they have trouble with their accounting. I cancelled it for good reason. I got charged for minutes even when I was out of the country(and carried my phone with me.) Trust me! You do not want postpaid service from True....

Please can you tell me where you opened your account? I have been to 10+ branches they bkk want work permit.

Thanks for all the replies, I've been looking a bit more myself and am leaning towards TOT 3G as the reports of TRUE aren't exactly glowing, I really don't want post paid (after this coming trip I think I won't be there until Sept).

If I decide to move away I can always change sim, I gotta crazy ex, and if she finds out the number through mutual friends then I'll be changing it anyway lol.

Cheers,

Tom.