Frenchman To Be Sent Home To Face Tax Charge

george

Frenchman to be sent home to face tax charge

BANGKOK: -- Police arrested a Frenchman wanted for tax evasion in his home country immediately after his release earlier this week from Bangkok Remand Prison, where he was being detained for rehabilitation due to cocaine addiction.

Dominique Andre Louis Poirey was arrested on Tuesday at the request of French authorities on suspicion of failing to pay as much as Bt400 million in taxes in France, police said. The arresting team was waiting for Poirey outside the remand prison in Chatuchak district.

The arrest warrant and subsequent extradition were approved by the Office of the Attorney General at the request of the public prosecutor in Paris. The Crime Suppression Division (CSD) was assigned the task of arresting the Frenchman, CSD officers said.

Poirey, 50, was a music producer and reportedly in the process of releasing an album in Thailand featuring three well-known Thai singers when he was arrested at a “cocaine party” at a Bangkok hotel in August last year.

Poirey was arrested again by Lumpini police in early August this year in possession of 0.4 grams of cocaine. He received a suspended six-month jail term and a mandatory rehabilitation session at the remand prison.

--The Nation 2005-09-29

He made one big mistake : leaving France after he made his money...

It has become impossible to live and to earn decent money in France...

The only solution : exfiltration. Sell every assets, everything, and write a nice letter to say goodbye-i-am-no-resident-from-now.

They only chase the people with the ability to pay

I think I was due a refund of about $75- so I never bothered filing a return. All that stuff you have to do for $75- it wasn't worth my time.

Mind you I did file a return the following two years, and it was so nice to write the word FINAL on my last return.

As far as CSA, if they beleive the arangement is "Unenforceable" they will give up.

He had 400mg or 400kg of cocaine?

400mg. personal use. In england that's worth about 15 quid street value if even. 1000baht.

Lock him up and throw away the key or shoot him or something for that 400mg in Thailand. It is odd to get caught with such a tiny amount, very odd. So odd in fact that it seems unlikely.

The tax thing, well everybody would avoid paying large amounts of tax if they could get away with it.

[admin snip]

Edited by george

The CSA don't even bother chasing people in the UK! No chance of them bothering to find you internationaly. Soft targets only - people already paying maintenace is their usual target. For 'absent father' read "converned, caring father trying to keep up contact and willing and able to contribute to his kids upkeep".

In the UK, Tax that is owed on a personal basis is a lifetime debt & will not be erased & forgotten.

Even Bankruptcy & Running away does not get rid of it. The government are now putting the details on the Credit Company files as well. (I guess the next step will be the using of tracing agents to track people down, Commision based of course!!)

Other EU countries now do the same.

CSA, IR etc don't worry me personally, but that lifetime debt thing could be awkward for some widows, in due course.

Does it mean that an executor might have to pay off debts to the Government out of assets, and then there could be nothing left for the widow?

It may be that there is information about how a falang husband should organise his affairs, so he leaves his Thai wife as well off as possible, if he 'pops his clogs' first. If so, somebody please tell us where to find it.

I have come across some Brits who believe there is still a Widow's Pension paid by DSS in UK, and expect that their widow would get half the DSS pension; but there isn't, and the widow wouldn't.

CSA, IR etc don't worry me personally, but that lifetime debt thing could be awkward for some widows, in due course.

Does it mean that an executor might have to pay off debts to the Government out of assets, and then there could be nothing left for the widow?

It may be that there is information about how a falang husband should organise his affairs, so he leaves his Thai wife as well off as possible, if he 'pops his clogs' first. If so, somebody please tell us where to find it.

I have come across some Brits who believe there is still a Widow's Pension paid by DSS in UK, and expect that their widow would get half the DSS pension; but there isn't, and the widow wouldn't.

hi ..

are you assuming the poor falang husband will die first?

thinking about it .... i guess thats part of the deal....?

amarka :o

hi ..

amarka :o

I dont know about anyone else but I dont plan to die first..

No, I am not assuming, nor am I planning.

But I do recognise that my expectancy of life now lies somewhere between 3 seconds and 30 years. As does my wife's. So I have a 50% chance that I will go first, and a 50% chance that I will be a widower for the second time.

By the way, anybody planning their deaths should read the fine print of their policies. Some don't pay out on suicide.

hi ..

amarka :D

I dont know about anyone else but I dont plan to die first..

A lotta guys in Thailand have daughter age wives. Thus, it is logical that the man will cash his chips first. :o

• 1 month later...