Complaints Filed Against Topless Women Dancing During Songkran.

Lite Beer

Complaints filed against topless women dancing during Songkran.

image_2011041716560162E369BC-EA4F-F788-AEEF27D8C78F58B5.jpg

BANGKOK, Apr 17 - Bang Rak district chief Surakiat Limcharoen filed complaint against three Thai women dancing topless during Songkran festival at Silom area together with their supporters and those releasing the trio's video clip on the internet.

The complaints are to charge the three ladies, dancing topless on Friday night at the Silom-Narathiwat intersection area, with a fine of no more than Bt500 each for shameful behaviour in public, while their supporters are to be responsible by two-thirds of the. trio's punishment. Those releasing the clip will face imprisonment of up to 5 years and fined up to Bt100, 000 under the country's Computer Crime Act.

Concerning the matter, Culture Minister Nipit Intarasombat had asked prosecutor to order those related in the case to also perform public duties apart from paying the fine such as reading books for kindergarten children about the Songkran festival at least three times to set as good example.

He said that the clip has negatively affected the image of Thai culture and that all parties involved with such behaviour should be punished, while asking police to give importance to this issue, for it destroys the country's reputation.

Meanwhile, ABAC Poll conducted a survey on what the public thought of the dancing incident.

Conducted on 1,134 persons aged above 18 in Bangkok and its vicinity on April 16-17, the Assumption University poll found that 94 per cent heard of the news, while 91 per cent indicated that the Thai society has long deteriorated.

Some respondents viewed that adults do not set themselves as good examples to children, while others said teenagers themselves do not behave.

About 87 per cent said they were worried of the future of their children in this society, while over 80 per cent of respondents said more punishment should be made to those committing immoral acts and violating law, as well as to related government officials in charge of. the area. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-04-17

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know wether I agree or disagree with this. Its a hard one morally for me. On one hand I think, its a party and a hundred years ago women walked bare breasted anyway. On the other hand Thai culture is slipping away and I can understand why people want to keep their cultural identity, especially with much of the west to hold up as a "shining" example of were you end up if you allow the cultural decline to go unchecked.

As far as the YouTubers go, if they staged it it could be argued I supposed that it was a direct attempt to slur or debase; however, if it was just some guys that caught it on camera and then posted it - and it was done in public - then they should not be charged at all IMO.

He said that the clip has negatively affected the image of Thai culture and that all parties involved with such behaviour should be punished, while asking police to give importance to this issue, for it destroys the country's reputation.

Just what does he think Thailand's reputation is? Shocking how this wonderful pure society will be marred by these hussies! The fact they are allowed to flaunt themselves in public and sell their bodies with impunity in bars often owned by policemen is doing far, far worse damage.

500 Baht for dancing topless; 100,000 baht or 5 years for uploading the video to Youtube... The message is that it is not a big deal to dance topless in public - as long as nobody finds out. Pretty much like Thai politics...

Just what does he think Thailand's reputation is? Shocking how this wonderful pure society will be marred by these hussies! The fact they are allowed to flaunt themselves in public and sell their bodies with impunity in bars often owned by policemen is doing far, far worse damage.

500 Baht for dancing topless; 100,000 baht or 5 years for uploading the video to Youtube... The message is that it is not a big deal to dance topless in public - as long as nobody finds out. Pretty much like Thai politics...

And which country endorses hanging their dirty washing out in public? Of course the country is not totally pure - nowhere is - but surely it's understandable that people want to extole the good and hide the bad - not the reverse. Look how quick we are here to defend our home countries when slurred - always make for the longest and most vicious of posts.

it was a lot tamer than another main songran playing soi i was in.....where there was this REALLY drunk girl dancing in the middle of the soi and a farang comes down in his car, stops and buys her bra and shorts and then takes off leaving her totally naked lolbiggrin.gifcool.gif

I watched the uncensored video and it is still out there.

This is extremely bad for the country’s image around the world.

It has the semblance of the Brits loutish behaviour in the Spanish holiday resorts.

It is simply done in bad taste and should be kept in the bars. In fact these girls have brought the bar culture out onto the streets in full view of children and for the world to see.

A 500 baht fine is a joke for lowering Thailand’s image to rock bottom.

I guess that the pillocks who uploaded the video onto the Internet are shiteing their pants right now and the girls claim to fame has backfired on them.

And which country endorses hanging their dirty washing out in public? Of course the country is not totally pure - nowhere is - but surely it's understandable that people want to extole the good and hide the bad - not the reverse. Look how quick we are here to defend our home countries when slurred - always make for the longest and most vicious of posts.

In most countries prostitution is either legal or illegal and enforced. What exactly is the situation here? How can the government on one hand make such a fuss about protecting "Thailand's image" when there are hundreds of ladybars, Pat-pong and Pattaya? I ask again - what part of Thailand's reputation is being damaged?

Extolling the good and hiding the bad does not improve the country's reputation, it only shows hypocrisy. Next thing they will bend stats about murder, rape, etc. as these also lower the ignorant foreigners' opinion of this wonderful nirvana Thailand.

There are many clips on the web of US "Spring Break" students doing much worse in public - yet I don't see this public reaction from US government officials. They have real problems to worry about I guess.

Just remind me how many people were killed over Songkran, how many buckets of water were thrown into the faces of motorcyclists causing a some to fall off, I know of one young girl that was killed in such an incident and people are causing such a fuss over these two young women having fun - pathetic.

This is extremely bad for the country’s image around the world.

It has the semblance of the Brits loutish behaviour in the Spanish holiday resorts.

It is simply done in bad taste and should be kept in the bars. In fact these girls have brought the bar culture out onto the streets in full view of children and for the world to see.

A 500 baht fine is a joke for lowering Thailand’s image to rock bottom.

I guess that the pillocks who uploaded the video onto the Internet are shiteing their pants right now and the girls claim to fame has backfired on them.

You are joking, i hope..........

In most countries prostitution is either legal or illegal and enforced. What exactly is the situation here? How can the government on one hand make such a fuss about protecting "Thailand's image" when there are hundreds of ladybars, Pat-pong and Pattaya? I ask again - what part of Thailand's reputation is being damaged?

Extolling the good and hiding the bad does not improve the country's reputation, it only shows hypocrisy. Next thing they will bend stats about murder, rape, etc. as these also lower the ignorant foreigners' opinion of this wonderful nirvana Thailand.

There are many clips on the web of US "Spring Break" students doing much worse in public - yet I don't see this public reaction from US government officials. They have real problems to worry about I guess.

Erm, but this isn't about prostitution - which exists everywhere there are humans and always have - Thailand officially does not advertise this either. An image is only relevent to those that do not know it - yes if yoiu have been here and didn't get out of Soi Cowboy etc then you will "know what you know" - a reputatiuon is suplanted with experience. However, when attracting families for holiday, it is not a good advert to show drunken revellers acting loutish and dancing topless in the streets during the day.

Of course extoling the good and hiding the bad improves the countries reputation - you think the inverse would??? Again, name a country that ius not hypocritical - if you can find one then it would not be because it was paradise I can assure you (almost certainly so bad it has given up on reputation!).

Many popular holiday places have quite dreadful crime rates - indeed Thailand is probably quite low in that list (violent crime against tourists). People know this, it rarely makes a difference to holiday plans unless there is civil unrest or active targetting (like tourist buses being shot out in Egypt a decade ago).

Thailand has two repuations I woud suggest - like mist countries - the seedy side that is shelved away officially and that those in the know can find if they care too (like Los Vegas or Amsterdam perhaps) - and then there i the cultural splendour, beatuful temples, demure ladies, smiles and friednly people, mountains, rain forrests and waterfalls. The second also includes the "amazing" events like Loy Kratong and Song Kran - when one is turned into a FullMoon Party it is not hard to see why a negative reaction from the authorities is forthecoming.

Reminds me, as someone said, of places like Costa Brava, Megaluf in Spain and Mykono, Rhodes and Crete in Greece during the 90's - constant news of drunks, druggies and crime - families stopped going replaced by louts - these cou8ntries (especially Greece) made great efforts to clean up there image and return these mini-paradises to their former family orientated status. Thailand has said again and again wat type of tourists they want - drunken street parties and loutish behaviour will certainly not attract those sort of tourists.

As far as US "Spring Break" students (in Mexico or wherever) go - this would only make sense for a reaction based on the loutish/immoral behaviour of their young, it is not an event that attracts tourists so advertising such activities of students does nothing to damage the reputation of the country as a tourist destination.

This is extremely bad for the country's image around the world.

A 500 baht fine is a joke for lowering Thailand's image to rock bottom.

You are joking, i hope..........

No I am certainly not joking.

This event may seem harmless enough, but this leads to other things and sooner or later becomes more extreme.

For example, in Britain young teens and thugs have practically taken over the streets and this is exactly how it all starts if rules are relaxed.

Personally I don't want to see too many Western influences in Thailand, I love the country just the way it is.

Boundaries need to be drawn otherwise it will lead to the demise of the whole of Thai culture, just as what has happened in the UK.

I am not a prude or in anyway against this sort of thing, providing it is done at the right places, only for adults and not as a public spectacle for all and sundry.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Erm, but this isn't about prostitution - which exists everywhere there are humans and always have - Thailand officially does not advertise this either. An image is only relevent to those that do not know it - yes if yoiu have been here and didn't get out of Soi Cowboy etc then you will "know what you know" - a reputatiuon is suplanted with experience. However, when attracting families for holiday, it is not a good advert to show drunken revellers acting loutish and dancing topless in the streets during the day.

There are hundreds of clips on the web of activities both inside and outside of ladybars, etc. Do these uploaders each get charged 100k? Does a government official decry the tarnishing of the country's reputation for these? My point is not expressly prostitution - it is about the double standards of the official. How can you ignore one while making a noise about the other.

As far as US "Spring Break" students (in Mexico or wherever) go - this would only make sense for a reaction based on the loutish/immoral behaviour of their young, it is not an event that attracts tourists so advertising such activities of students does nothing to damage the reputation of the country as a tourist destination.

The spring break videos are from inside the US as well. Miami is a very popular destination.

Just to get things straight - I do not support public indecency. If there are laws they should be enforced, or repealed. I do find it laughable that any Thai politician, government official or just about anyone in the country can act 'holier than thou' when it comes to matters of corruption, morality or honesty.

This is extremely bad for the country's image around the world.

A 500 baht fine is a joke for lowering Thailand's image to rock bottom.

Rip Van Winkle woke up in the middle of 2011 Songkran. What a shock!

Ohhh happy ladies dancing topless! I am sure most of us men here on TV have seen breasts before! What is the big deal? Go to many bars in BKK and you will see "breasts". Just people having good fun and I am sorry they had to pay a fine.They were not obscene or showing their sexual organs.Just people having fun.

No I am certainly not joking.

[...]

I am not a prude or in anyway against this sort of thing, providing it is done at the right places, only for adults and not as a public spectacle for all and sundry.

Your avatar should wear a bra. :rolleyes:

There were scores of girls dancing in my area with just their bras and short shorts on. My Thai friends were a little surprised! But I think we were all quite disturbed by the sexually explicit lewd dancing right on the street (with humping and grinding going on) so that cars had trouble going around the scene. Then of course there was a 8 year-old boy who got completely undressed and danced around. And we didn't know what to think about all the men driving by wearing bras that day.

I don't know wether I agree or disagree with this. Its a hard one morally for me. On one hand I think, its a party and a hundred years ago women walked bare breasted anyway. On the other hand Thai culture is slipping away and I can understand why people want to keep their cultural identity, especially with much of the west to hold up as a "shining" example of were you end up if you allow the cultural decline to go unchecked.

As far as the YouTubers go, if they staged it it could be argued I supposed that it was a direct attempt to slur or debase; however, if it was just some guys that caught it on camera and then posted it - and it was done in public - then they should not be charged at all IMO.

More like 70 years ago.

post-26885-0-85367300-1303052372_thumb.j

I believe these girls are hit with 500 Baht fines most evenings.

As for this reflecting badly on Thailand - that's what my (Thai) missus said. I asked if she thought this really was a reflection on the whole of Thailand or perhaps just a reflection on a drunken girl?

It is after all just one or two girls getting drunk and showing their bits. The rest of the 60 million managed to keep their kit on, so I don't see how this reflects on anything other than the fact the chicks are tarts.

I believe these girls are hit with 500 Baht fines most evenings.

As for this reflecting badly on Thailand - that's what my (Thai) missus said. I asked if she thought this really was a reflection on the whole of Thailand or perhaps just a reflection on a drunken girl?

It is after all just one or two girls getting drunk and showing their bits. The rest of the 60 million managed to keep their kit on, so I don't see how this reflects on anything other than the fact the chicks are tarts.

I live outside Bkk with the 60 million others, and I miss all the excitement.

What is the big fuss about topless girls/women the breasts are not sexual organs no more than a mans nipples

They are not reproductive organs but they are by some definitions, a "sex organ".

But the question is disingenuous and silly. Biology and anatomical terminology aside, we all know that the human female breast has, in most modern cultures, significance well being being mammary glands merely there to lactate. No sense in pretending that women's breasts aren't potentially potent sexual symbols...if not this world would look rather different (magazines, art, movies, fashion, erotica...)

it was a lot tamer than another main songran playing soi i was in.....where there was this REALLY drunk girl dancing in the middle of the soi and a farang comes down in his car, stops and buys her bra and shorts and then takes off leaving her totally naked lolbiggrin.gifcool.gif

Strange guy.

I would have taken the girl and left her underwear behind and got the goods not the wrapping.

Nice looking girls, I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed, but as I said, there are certain places to go for this sort of thing.

For example if I want to see beautiful naked girls in the flesh, I can visit a backroom in a bar somewhere or the House of The Rising Sun if I have the money.

But in public, no, It`s just not a good thing and that's my opinion.

Edited by Beetlejuice

wolf:

Beetlejuice:

Personally I don't want to see too many Western influences in Thailand, I love the country just the way it is.

Boundaries need to be drawn otherwise it will lead to the demise of the whole of Thai culture, just as what has happened in the UK.

I understand you and share your feelings to a degree (particularly that which I bolded) but I will point out as I so often do (here and elsewhere) "culture" and "traditional culture" are not the same thing and I think you are both confusing them (as so many do -- especially conservative Thais -- or conservatives in the west for that matter).

Just because things didn't used to be a certain way doesn't man the new way isn't part of the culture. Culture is not static, it's dynamic. 50 years ago in the west, as you know, premarital sex or provocative dress (just to name 2 examples) were not part of mainstream culture. Now they are.

And when people talk about this or that not being compatible with Thai culture they are often not only talking about something that is indeed, for better or worse a part of Thai culture now, they are speaking of a Thai culture that existed during one specific period on a long timeline --- a a period where much of the culture was influenced by Victorian ideas of being civilized (or sivilai as the Thais coined it). Modern Thais were covering up and and ostensibly tsk tsking at the idea of licentiousness etc

So even the Conservative Thai traditional culture isn't purely Thai or some sort of original default setting that got lost -- it was a point in the evolution just as where we are now is another one.

CULTURE: the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society; the way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time

Edited by SteeleJoe