Jomtien Post Office Open Today?

Schooner

Not this year. April 18.

Important Tax Dates:

* Apr 18, 2011 – Deadline to file 2010 income tax return or extension (due to Emancipation Day observed April 15, 2011)

However, I am not clear that a foreign stamped date would be accepted as on time.

Edited by Jingthing

If you are referring to the tax-filing deadline for a United States Federal income tax return...I can't believe none of you guys don't know this. Any American living overseas is entitled to an automatic filing deadline extension of TWO MONTHS after the normal April 15th deadline. Therefore, the filing deadline for us expats is June 15th! [Refer to the paragraph "When to file" http://www.irs.gov/b...d=97324,00.html ] No special form is required to receive the extension, just hand-write at the top of the return (when you file it) that you reside overseas whenever you get around to sending it in.

Please note, this extension is only for the filing of the completed return...any taxes (or estimated taxes) owed must still be paid by the April 15th date. So if you think you will own some money but just haven't figured out how much...send in some money by April 15. If it was too much...claim it as a refund when you complete the return later.

I believe one could also stretch it and file late even if one was only traveling overseas and not present in the United States on or around April 15th.

Edited by FarangBuddha

If you are referring to the tax-filing deadline for a United States Federal income tax return...I can't believe none of you guys don't know this. Any American living overseas is entitled to an automatic filing deadline extension of TWO MONTHS after the normal April 15th deadline. Therefore, the filing deadline for us expats is June 15th! [Refer to the paragraph "When to file" "]http://www.irs.gov/b...=97324,00.html] No special form is required to receive the extension, just hand-write at the top of the return (when you file it) that you reside overseas when you send it it.

Please note, this extension is only for the filing of the completed return...any taxes (or estimated taxes) owed must still be paid by the April 15th date. So if you think you will own some money but just haven't figured out how much...send in some money by April 1. If it was too much...claim it as a refund when you complete the return later.

I believe you could also stretch it and file late even if one was only traveling overseas and not present in the United States on or around April 15th.

I was aware of what you were saying, but I did not ASSUME the OP was bona fide "living" in Thailand. Is that true for tourists as well? Anyway, I usually file for an extension anyway, because then you get until October 15, not June 15 to file. Any expat can file right now for an extension until October 15 on taxact . com in about five minutes. Of course, yes, you still have to pay money if you owe anything.

Edited by Jingthing

Please note, this extension is only for the filing of the completed return...any taxes (or estimated taxes) owed must still be paid by the April 15th date. So if you think you will own some money but just haven't figured out how much...send in some money by April 15.

I believe we are aware. However the OP may be requesting the information based on owing taxes which has to be paid for by April 18 (note: 2011 is April 18 due to holiday as has been posted). But yes, automatic 2 months extension for filing.

I was aware of what you were saying, but I did not ASSUME the OP was bona fide "living" in Thailand. Is that true for tourists as well? Anyway, I usually file for an extension anyway, because then you get until October 15, not June 15 to file. Any expat can file right now for an extension until October 15 on taxact . com in about five minutes. Of course, yes, you still have to pay money if you owe anything.

The language used is "residing overseas," which implies something more permanent than traveling for business or pleasure. It may or may not...have never tested it...Google is again your friend. The reason I figured overseas residents get the automatic extension if requested is that if one is residing overseas, it takes more time to receive/gather one's financial records and documents needed to prepare the return and then to mail it in. Now, with the internet, faxes, email, online banking/statements,electronic filing, and such, this is not so much the case.

For some reason, the IRS link doesn't paste correctly...just Google "irs tax return filing date foreign" and it should be the 1st hit.

Edited by FarangBuddha

The reason I figured overseas residents get the automatic extension if requested is that if one is residing overseas

True if they satisfy the various 'Bona fide' tests (physical presence, etc) which a tourist normally would not.

//edit - also not necessary to request the two month extension.

Please note, this extension is only for the filing of the completed return...any taxes (or estimated taxes) owed must still be paid by the April 15th date. So if you think you will own some money but just haven't figured out how much...send in some money by April 15.

I believe we are aware. However the OP may be requesting the information based on owing taxes which has to be paid for by April 18 (note: 2011 is April 18 due to holiday as has been posted). But yes, automatic 2 months extension for filing.

Well nobody mentioned it and if the op was worried about it...this will ease his mind (if he's living here) that whatever date he posts it, as long as it's by June 15th, it will not be late.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Hey thanks guys. It was open. Thanks also for that information about expats. I didn't know that. I could have procrastinated for a while longer...Yes I am living here, thus the Jomtien post office.

Don't tell my wife, it was her return and she's getting $96.00 back.

Thanks again for the come back.

Edited by Schooner

IRS Form 4868 explains the automatic extension for being out of the country:

Taxpayers who are out of the country. If, on the regular due date

of your return, you are out of the country and a U.S. citizen or

resident, you are allowed 2 extra months to file your return and pay

any amount due without requesting an extension

Also note, if you are required to file an FBAR (foreign bank account reporting under penalty of castration), the deadline for those is June 30, filed separately from IRS forms.

5555555555....that's a good one...voluntarily tell the Feds where your money is...they can kiss my you know what!

Edited by FarangBuddha

Also note, if you are required to file an FBAR (foreign bank account reporting under penalty of castration), the deadline for those is June 30, filed separately from IRS forms.

5555555555....that's a good one...voluntarily tell the Feds where your money is...they can kiss my you know what!

You don't worry that over time foreign banks will be cooperating with the US to report info about Americans with accounts with them? Good luck blatantly defying this very serious requirement.

You don't worry that over time foreign banks will be cooperating with the US to report info about Americans with accounts with them? Good luck blatantly defying this very serious requirement.

Nope. But I'm careful to keep the balance in any one account under US$ 10k.

Nope. But I'm careful to keep the balance in any one account under US$ 10k.

You do realize that the requirement is to report ALL accounts, over and under 10K, if the sum of all the accounts is greater than 10K at any point during a year? Anyway, why would you assume if the foreign banks start providing info on American accounts that the requirement would ONLY be for those over 10K accounts? I reckon you may be the kind of expat they are looking for, most of us law abiding ones not so much.