Work Permit Cancelled - Do I Really Have To Leave The Same Day?

My last day at my nightmare school is on Friday; they want me to come in on Monday to go with them to cancel the work permit. As I understand it, I have to leave the country the same day.

My question is this: what would happen if I didn't show up on Monday to go to immigration with them to cancel the WP? Could I have a few extra days without penalty (the visa in my passport is good until August)?

You are required to cancel your extension of stay on the day your employment ends and depart within 24 hours (unless you pay for a 7 day under consideration extension application). They are required to provide you a letter to immigration for this function.

Does anyone has experience with BOI one stop center issued extension of stay cases? Did anyone get extension of stay based on supporting Thai wife with employment at the BOI one stop immigration center?

The last 3 years I had extension of stay based on supporting Thai wife and working. Today I have received a new extension of stay at the BOI one stop office based on work, until June 30, 2012 for a new company.

I had all kinds of paperwork (tax returns, photos, wife tabien book, map etc) to extend my stay based on supporting Thai wife with work.

Both of my company and the BOI one stop center officers said if I would leave my company for any reason before my extension of stay expires based on work, I can change my status to supporting Thai wife when my company and I go to cancel the work permit and extension of stay based on work.

The only way I think could be possible if I pay first for 7 day extensions (1900 baht and, transfer 400,000 baht to a Thai bank right away, then pay another 1900 baht for 60 days extension for visiting Thai wife and after that I have the 2 months money in bank period. (for first time)

or if I find a new job within that 2 months.

Giving the limited timeframe it is likely that is easier to leave Thailand for a tourist visa or non-o when my employment ends. Maybe next year when my extension is up, I can insist that I want extension based on supporting Thai wife with money in the bank and if the BOI office does not consider it, I go to regular immigration office.

Extensions are very simple at the BOI one stop center based on work but I don't like that my extension of stay always depend on me working. I'm with my 4th employeer in Thailand and I managed to ride out several months before between jobs with extension of stays supporting Thai wife.

Edited by sinnus99