'C' Drive Memory

Kwasaki

Can anyone explain please the main ' C ' disk is what I use to download TV & movies and has a total size of 14.6 GB but only 7. 00+ GB spare and many of the serial type programs need more space, ' C ' disk won't let me delete anything else to make more space.

' D ' disk total is the same 14.6 GB with 13.9 GB spare.

' E ' disk has a whopping 45.2 GB which seems a bit silly.:blink:

Is there a way to sort it out or will it have to go the computer shop.

Regards K

Just to clarify:

It appears you have an 80GB Hard Disk Drive

divided it three partitions -

Drive C: 14.6GB

Drive D: 14.6GB

Drive E: 45.2GB.

Often done with computers when purchased.

Drive C: for operating system and programs;

Drive D: for data storage;

Drive E: for 'other' things.

Why not download your TV & Movies directly to Drive E:?

You usually have the option of selecting where to download when you choose to download -

except with IE 9, which selects it's own default download and you have to fight with it to get what you want.

As said, simply tell whatever you are using to download your Movies to put them on E drive :D You can then transfer them onto a portable hard drive for safe keeping . A 500GB HDD is now around the 2000 baht mark. Very cheap.

Just to clarify:

Why not download your TV & Movies directly to Drive E:?

You usually have the option of selecting where to download when you choose to download -

except with IE 9, which selects it's own default download and you have to fight with it to get what you want.

To download onto Drive E would be great, that seems to be exactly my problem.

I go on internet and from address bar choose http://torrentz.eu/i

When choosen film whatever it will only go to drive C, I do not know how to go about downloading onto say drive E.

I just bought a WD 500GB SATA-3 drive last week for 1,290.

I'd be glad to get an additional internal drive such as this.

Where did you get it? and what color is it?

I looked at thanni.com, they are much more expensive.

I just bought a WD 500GB SATA-3 drive last week for 1,290.

I'd be glad to get an additional internal drive such as this.

Where did you get it? and what color is it?

I looked at thanni.com, they are much more expensive.

Pantip Ngamwongwan, 4th floor. I wanted to get the Caviar "Green" but it was out of stock, so I went with the Blue one instead.

WD5000AAKX specs

If it's too confusing/complicated to change the default download location to the E: partition, just leave the settings as they are. After downloads are complete, open Windows Explorer and drag-and-drop the file from your C: partition to your E: partition.

You need to press and hold the <ctrl> key while doing that, or the file will be *copied* to your E: partition, leaving the original on your C: partition. Including the <ctrl> key will *move* the file, taking it off the C: partition.

Get a program like "Partition Magic" or simular. You can install it or run it from the CD which ever you chose. Allows you to change partition sizes, remove them and even combine them. Gives you control over your HHD better than Microsoft software. I've used it for years and really works great even on the 500 to 1Tdrives.

Supernova - Post #9

wpcoe - Post #11

That's the problem.

About half of my downloads go to the 'Downloads' folder on C: drive (In Win Xp I set up a 'Downloads' folder - happy to see it in Win 7).

The other half I download to an external drive in a HDD Docking Station, which is set up for that purpose at the time required.

With IE8 and before I could choose where to download - now I have to change the 'default' every time.

Others have queried this and according to Microsoft Answers some people are confused if you give them a choice, so they removed the choice!

For various reasons, size, file types, etc., I would rather not have the downloads go to the C: drive.

Also, if there are a number of them and they are large (2 or 3 GBs each) it can take 20 to 40 minutes or more for the transfers to complete.

Quicker and easier to do it in one step.

Moan over, back to slaving over a hot PC.

With IE8 and before I could choose where to download - now I have to change the 'default' every time.

Others have queried this and according to Microsoft Answers some people are confused if you give them a choice, so they removed the choice!

That sounds like good old Microsoft (and even moreso perhaps, Apple.)

My browser of choice is Opera, so I don't use IE all that often. If you are downloading via a browser, maybe consider trying Opera, Firefox or Chrome, where you can change the default download location? You may -- and probably will -- find other benefits of using an alternative browser, like speed.

IE9 allows you the option to save at any location you want. Just hit ctrl+J or select from tools menu and at bottom left corner will be an options hot spot that will being up a screen to select location.

Personally I would make all the drive one and not have to bother with it. The days of having to use partitions due to time to defrag or other such processor limitations are long gone. And most Windows can take care of that task without the need for external programs. But for OP just moving the download directory would seem best.

• 3 weeks later...

I had been battling a similar problem for a long time and just found a free program on CNET.com called EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition to extend my partition on the C Drive to add another 10 GB (whatever free space on other partitions you want to move to C) of free space. The help instructions weren't enough for me so I looked for some help on youtube and sure enough a guy had posted the step by step process with pictures of everything except he was using an older version and the chart of the drives was on the bottom of the screen rather the top as in the current version... but it worked the same. It was easy for me to set up but after I clicked apply it took the computer about an hour+ of run time to move my files and the partition around on the hard drive. Make sure you turn off the power saver settings via the control panel and monitor the process to make sure your computer doesn't hibernate or shut down during the long process. You will see progression of the process on the program screen. I had no problems and everything works perfectly now.