Best Bacon,Onion Burger W/ Home Cut Fries In Town!

yesterday

I have eaten twice at Sahara and definitely recommend their Middle Eastern food. Good hummus, excellent beef kabab and other interesting dishes such as a beef and okra stew. Not only is the food worth recommending but, as others have commented, their prices are remarkably low for the quality. Furthermore, the atmosphere of the place is very pleasant---you can sit upstairs, under the "tent" and look out over Nimmanhaemin. Much better overall than Dukes in my opinion, but each to his own.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP....you're welcome! I was raving about this burger to all my friends....they thought I was a little nuts, untill they went and tried it!

For 129B it can't be beat!! The only downside to it is how much more I have to train to offset the amount of burgers I am now eating....:(

Thanks very much S. Ate there for lunch today and that is the burger I've been waiting 8 1/2 years for. Bloody gorgeous!

I've never tried Sahara, but since we've started a "best burger" thread, imho, after trying burgers in a dozen different places in CM, Dukes is a distant second to Gekko Garden.

After you've tried the Sahara Deluxe there is no other "best burger". If they are very very very delicious maybe they could match it, but I doubt it.

Edited by lannarebirth

I ordered from The Sahara and I thought it was pretty good. In fact I ordered a few of the western items and something Middle Eastern, because I enjoy Middle Eastern food and have yet to find something really good in Chiang Mai.

I was amazed at how similar the burger was to The Duke's Burger. The meat wasn't fresh ground as we do at The Duke's but it was a decent, maybe Northern Farm burger patty. The bun resembled the old style buns that we used to make. The pickle was similar to the pickles at The Night Bazaar shop and even the large tomato and the fresh cut fries seemed familiar. All in all it reminded me of a mini-The Duke's burger at a mini price, slightly more than our 99 Baht burger with cheese.

The Caesar Salad dressing was very similar to The Duke's with stone ground mustard as the binder and a flavor. I have only once seen a restaurant use stone ground mustard in the Caesar dressing and that was from the restaurant I worked at in Hawaii where I got the recipe from. The croutons resembled the croutons the girls make at both The Duke's restaurants. They are not my croutons but I usually let them get away with this style because they are flavorful. The bread was slightly similar to The Duke's foccacia but was not aged dough.

So I asked my managers about a couple of recent cooks that have left our employment and sure enough one of the girls is cooking at The Sahara. She was a good cook and I was sorry to lose her but you can't keep them all forever. I have to say that and she is doing a good job and I thought the food was good except for the pizza. This particular girl never worked in the pizza station and the pizza I got was not great but it was only 99 Baht, a great deal. I love pizza, any pizza. She is probably not the lead cook for the Middle Eastern food but good cooks usually learn fast because most kitchen work is endless production.

What I thought the star of the show was was the Middle Eastern kebobs that I got. The yellow rice was fluffy, fresh and delightful and the pork on the kebobs were marinated and delicious. The spicy sauce and the dill sauce were good as well. The really great thing was the price, so cheap.

I'm am not sure why the restaurants in Chiang Mai feel they have to cater to everyone from westerners to Thais to someone wanting the exotic. Clearly they feel as if they are leaving out a portion of their business by not including it all. While this might have been the case 20 years ago, today in Chiang Mai a restaurant can exist on it's singularly delicious and defining cuisine.

On another note for anyone wanting another taste of The Duke's, the Rider's Corner at the north end of Moon Muang has another good cook that is the lead there that used to be cooking at The Duke's. Philip is the owner there and it is a great place to hang out and have a couple of beers.

Edited by theDukes

Im with you on that "Sahara" rocks!!

There hummus and pita is better than that rip off jewish place at Thapae by far...!!

Why do you call the Jewish place a ripoff?

I have been friends with the owners for almost 20 years, I think their food is delicious :)

Just always found it very expensive.

But can a mod please explain to me why my post was deleted...?

Is it because I used the word Jew.....or is favouritism.....?

It isn't polite to write any religions lowercase. If the place is run by Jews/offers Jewish or Israeli food (not the same thing) and you think it's a ripoff, that seems fair to me and just descriptive. I have eaten there a few times and found the food pretty good but nothing to write home about. Edited by Jingthing

Im with you on that "Sahara" rocks!!

There hummus and pita is better than that rip off jewish place at Thapae by far...!!

Why do you call the Jewish place a ripoff?

I have been friends with the owners for almost 20 years, I think their food is delicious :)

Just always found it very expensive.

But can a mod please explain to me why my post was deleted...?

Is it because I used the word Jew.....or is favouritism.....?

It isn't polite to write any religions lowercase. If the place is run by Jews/offers Jewish or Israeli food (not the same thing) and you think it's a ripoff, that seems fair to me and just descriptive. I have eaten there a few times and found the food pretty good but nothing to write home about.

Ah ok, Ill bear that in mind.

Meat kebab excellent. Lentil soup close to excellent. Baba ganoush mediocre, almost bad, the lime and lime peel taste dominated far too much giving it a sour and bitter flavour instead of the garlicky and eggplant mushy goodness it should deliver, so on that front, the previously mentioned Israeli place has them beat... but the pita/nan style bread that came with the Baba ganoush was tasty. Service attentive and polite. Price level humane. Overall, not bad at all. Will be back. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by weary

It isn't polite to write any religions lowercase. If the place is run by Jews/offers Jewish or Israeli food (not the same thing) and you think it's a ripoff, that seems fair to me and just descriptive. I have eaten there a few times and found the food pretty good but nothing to write home about.

Since when is the religious persuasions of a restaurant owner in any way relevant to the quality of the food or service?

dont bother if you want a burger go to dukes why waste your time driving around the city looking for good food for the money you can not beat the dukes

patty melt is the best thing in a bun you can get in town without anyone coming even close

you wasted your time in the rest now try the best

Sorry ,The Sahara kicks dukes butt @ 129baht bacon cheese burger w/ cut fries across the street from the warm up. KILLER DEAL!! try it you will be glad you did, then comment.

you must of had your taste buds removed at immigration the sahara lol

Since when is the religious persuasions of a restaurant owner in any way relevant to the quality of the food or service?

Never said it had anything to do with the food quality pro or con. It's a descriptive use in this case. They serve Israeli food for Christsakes! OK?

Edited by Jingthing

I ordered from The Sahara and I thought it was pretty good. In fact I ordered a few of the western items and something Middle Eastern, because I enjoy Middle Eastern food and have yet to find something really good in Chiang Mai.

I was amazed at how similar the burger was to The Duke's Burger. The meat wasn't fresh ground as we do at The Duke's but it was a decent, maybe Northern Farm burger patty. The bun resembled the old style buns that we used to make. The pickle was similar to the pickles at The Night Bazaar shop and even the large tomato and the fresh cut fries seemed familiar. All in all it reminded me of a mini-The Duke's burger at a mini price, slightly more than our 99 Baht burger with cheese.

The Caesar Salad dressing was very similar to The Duke's with stone ground mustard as the binder and a flavor. I have only once seen a restaurant use stone ground mustard in the Caesar dressing and that was from the restaurant I worked at in Hawaii where I got the recipe from. The croutons resembled the croutons the girls make at both The Duke's restaurants. They are not my croutons but I usually let them get away with this style because they are flavorful. The bread was slightly similar to The Duke's foccacia but was not aged dough.

So I asked my managers about a couple of recent cooks that have left our employment and sure enough one of the girls is cooking at The Sahara. She was a good cook and I was sorry to lose her but you can't keep them all forever. I have to say that and she is doing a good job and I thought the food was good except for the pizza. This particular girl never worked in the pizza station and the pizza I got was not great but it was only 99 Baht, a great deal. I love pizza, any pizza. She is probably not the lead cook for the Middle Eastern food but good cooks usually learn fast because most kitchen work is endless production.

What I thought the star of the show was was the Middle Eastern kebobs that I got. The yellow rice was fluffy, fresh and delightful and the pork on the kebobs were marinated and delicious. The spicy sauce and the dill sauce were good as well. The really great thing was the price, so cheap.

I'm am not sure why the restaurants in Chiang Mai feel they have to cater to everyone from westerners to Thais to someone wanting the exotic. Clearly they feel as if they are leaving out a portion of their business by not including it all. While this might have been the case 20 years ago, today in Chiang Mai a restaurant can exist on it's singularly delicious and defining cuisine.

On another note for anyone wanting another taste of The Duke's, the Rider's Corner at the north end of Moon Muang has another good cook that is the lead there that used to be cooking at The Duke's. Philip is the owner there and it is a great place to hang out and have a couple of beers.

This is a JOKE post right :lol: surely the real Dukes has a TV account with more than 2 posts

So what your basically saying is The Dukes takes full credit for the Saharas good food LOL and if its not a joke, at least you visited there to see what all the fuss was about and based on this thread you obviously need to either get her Back or pay some serious attention to your own kitchen to bring the food up to par, as it obvious from this thread that the Dukes is starting to lose its shine with the ex pat crowd.

IMHO nothing was similar to the Dukes food cause, I actually enjoyed the food at Sahara :D and will be going back

DK

This is a JOKE post right :lol: surely the real Dukes has a TV account with more than 2 posts

So what your basically saying is The Dukes takes full credit for the Saharas good food LOL and if its not a joke, at least you visited there to see what all the fuss was about and based on this thread you obviously need to either get her Back or pay some serious attention to your own kitchen to bring the food up to par, as it obvious from this thread that the Dukes is starting to lose its shine with the ex pat crowd.

IMHO nothing was similar to the Dukes food cause, I actually enjoyed the food at Sahara :D and will be going back

DK

All he was saying is that two of his former cooks are working at other restaurants now and doing a good job (taking some of what they learned in his kitchen with them). This is not uncommon for cooks/chefs to do in any country when they move on. He also complimented the Sahara. Indeed The Dukes is not "starting to lose its shine with the ex pat crowd." Every time I go there it is packed with both ex-pats and Thais. There is no need to bash The Dukes. If you don't like it you are entitled to your opinion and don't have to eat there. But Dave is a really good guy and his restaurants do offer good quality food in huge portions.

DK

But Dave is a really good guy and his restaurants do offer good quality food in huge portions.

You must be a very lonely person. I concur with DiamondKing. Long, long ago it shined primarily because it was the only show in town. Not so any more, thank God.

Edited by venturalaw

DK

But Dave is a really good guy and his restaurants do offer good quality food in huge portions.

You must be a very lonely person. I concur with DiamondKing. Long, long ago it shined primarily because it was the only show in town. Not so any more, thank God.

Very strange post venturalaw. Sounds like you have some personal issues with Dave.

Edited by elektrified

Very strange post venturalaw. Sounds like you have some personal issues with Dave.

I won't get into it here. I meant no offence to you.

A rival eateries most pompous , "the cook did it" anyone surprised ?Really,really funny ,keep them a coming!!

Lets stay on topic ....which is .... The trendy ,new, upscale ,clean eatery with hands down @ 129baht ....the best bacon, cheese,grill onion burger with a toasted bun and huge slices of hydroponic tomatoes w/ a side fresh cut fries and thousand island. The Sahara on Neimenhamin Road, did i mention ... upscale clean,new, trendy ? Yes, I think but i forgot the important fact the Sahara right now for some reason is 1/2 price for the very few similar dishes that are on the menu of the other "the cook did it " place. Today I had the middle east food for the first time at the Sahara or anywhere and boy o boy ,the "cook did it" good!! the okra and beef ,with a flaky mountain of yellow rice , wow!!!! this food was tastier than any of the CM indian food and not as oily ,greasy .(I must confess i am no expert with middle east food having never eaten it in my life so I can only compare to Indian)This Sahara Middle east dish just tasted great even at 129Baht I think maybe 109baht not sure !!but ... "the cook did it"...

T.V. is not only a treasure of information but a lot of fun!!

Edited by yesterday

A rival eateries most pompous , "the cook did it" anyone suprised ?really funny ,keep them a coming!! Lets stay on topic ....which is .... The trendy ,new, upscale ,clean eatery with hands down @ 129baht ....the best bacon, cheese,grill onion burger with a toasted bun and huge hydroponic sliced tomatoes w/ a side fresh cut fries and thousand island. The Sahara on Neimenhamin Road, did i mention ... upscale clean,new, trendy ? Yes, I think but i forgot the important fact the Sahara right now for some reason is 1/2 price for the very few similar dishes that are on the menu of the other "the cook did it " place. Today I had the middle east food for the first time at the Sahara or anywhere and boy o boy ,the "cook did it" good!! the okra and beef ,with a flaky mountain of yellow rice , wow!!!! tastier than any of the CM indian food and not as greezy .(I must confess i am no expert with middle east food having never eaten it in my life so I must compare to Indian)The Sahara Middle east dish justs tasted great even at 129Baht I think maybe 109baht not sure !!but wait ... "the cook did it"...

T.V. is not only a treasure of information but a lot of fun!!

I have never really enjoyed a burger in Chiang Mai, and I've had a couple that really put me off. So I'm definitely looking forward to checking out the Sahara.

While On was a good cook, The Duke's has about 27 kitchen staff, she was only one of the best. Her two bosses, she worked in The Night Bazaar, the GM and the kitchen manager, are better cooks and there are about a dozen of the other chefs that work just as well. She had some personal issues with her bosses and I was sorry to see her go. I'm glad she has found a good job and I am glad that she is keeping up the standards that were taught to her. Too many times I find that workers who leave The Duke's, particularly kitchen workers, start slipping and "forget" some of the basic principals of cooking. I can not take complete credit for her training as the GM of The Night Bazaar was the kitchen manager on the river when she was hired and everyone basically works as a team.

As far as taking credit for the good burger at Sahara I can not do that. While it is my chef and my recipe, The Duke's uses only fresh ground beef for our burgers. Our buns have also changed since On has worked here and now they are richer and slightly softer. It was still a good burger and I would suggest to anyone on the west side of town to check it out. I am always concerned about the food at The Duke's and, yes, I always check out other restaurants to see if there is anything The Duke's can do better.

The only game in town? The Duke's has never been the only game in town. My big problem and probably the biggest question is the fixation on Thaivisa on The Duke's? Who has made The Duke's "the standard?" Why is it that every time someone mentions burgers, pizza, ribs, steaks or anything else on our menu that The Duke's has to come to play? "It's better than The Duke's, it kicks The Duke's ass, it's as good as The Duke's or The Duke's is better." I don't see other restaurants being held to this standard? Every new western food thread, regardless if it has something to do with The Duke's, The Duke's has to be brought up. The thread can be about Indian food and The Duke's is mentioned. My feeling is if you don't like to eat at The Duke's or if you don't like the food or if you don't like me then don't come. Why bother? We surely will not miss you.

Some fun facts about The Duke's. The Duke's did more than 32,000,000 million Baht in business last year at our 2 locations. That's right, we severed more than 90,000 customers at our 2 location in Chiang Mai. Business was up last year by 15% over the year before and this year The Duke's is up over last year by another 15% for the first 3 months. Got it? Probably one of the busiest if not the busiest western restaurant in town.

The Duke's has almost 60 employees at 2 locations and one lady supports herself by just buying vegetables for the 2 locations. The Duke's spends about 5,000 to 10,000 Baht a day in vegetables. Most of the staff has been at The Duke's for years, some as long as 6 years. While floor staff has a tendency to turn over, the cooks have been at The Duke's for an average of 4 years. About half of The Night Bazaar staff started in the river location.

The Duke's pays all its taxes. That's right. Every Baht of that 7% that folks complain about on our bill goes for local government . In fact because we pay our taxes, we are opening up a new shop and the revenue department sent over a team to see if we needed help with anything. The head of the revenue department is a customer at The Duke's.

The Duke's has one branch in Bangkok and will soon be opening another branch in Terminal 21 and they will be branded as The Duke's American Grill Restaurants, a fast casual concept. The Duke's will be opening up up a The Duke's American Burger Grill within the next few months in Chiang Mai.

One of the reasons I sponsor/advertise on Thaivisa is because The Duke's has many many great customers that frequent these pages, including the owner of Thaivisa and many of the administrators. The Duke's has thousands or regulars and one of the reasons The Duke's is so successful is because we have a really solid base of great customers. If you don't count yourself among them then why bother?

I am far from the most perfect person and while it might be easy to toss a few eggs my way my staff relies on me to make this place run and to keep things together. I hold them to a high standard and I expect them to work up to it. At The Duke's all the staff works hard. If they are not a hard worker then they do not make it here. For that reason some of them are highly sought after by other restaurants and the hotels. Fortunately most of the good workers stay around.

That's again to all the great customers at The Duke's.

While On was a good cook, The Duke's has about 27 kitchen staff, she was only one of the best. Her two bosses, she worked in The Night Bazaar, the GM and the kitchen manager, are better cooks and there are about a dozen of the other chefs that work just as well. She had some personal issues with her bosses and I was sorry to see her go. I'm glad she has found a good job and I am glad that she is keeping up the standards that were taught to her. Too many times I find that workers who leave The Duke's, particularly kitchen workers, start slipping and "forget" some of the basic principals of cooking. I can not take complete credit for her training as the GM of The Night Bazaar was the kitchen manager on the river when she was hired and everyone basically works as a team.

As far as taking credit for the good burger at Sahara I can not do that. While it is my chef and my recipe, The Duke's uses only fresh ground beef for our burgers. Our buns have also changed since On has worked here and now they are richer and slightly softer. It was still a good burger and I would suggest to anyone on the west side of town to check it out. I am always concerned about the food at The Duke's and, yes, I always check out other restaurants to see if there is anything The Duke's can do better.

The only game in town? The Duke's has never been the only game in town. My big problem and probably the biggest question is the fixation on Thaivisa on The Duke's? Who has made The Duke's "the standard?" Why is it that every time someone mentions burgers, pizza, ribs, steaks or anything else on our menu that The Duke's has to come to play? "It's better than The Duke's, it kicks The Duke's ass, it's as good as The Duke's or The Duke's is better." I don't see other restaurants being held to this standard? Every new western food thread, regardless if it has something to do with The Duke's, The Duke's has to be brought up. The thread can be about Indian food and The Duke's is mentioned. My feeling is if you don't like to eat at The Duke's or if you don't like the food or if you don't like me then don't come. Why bother? We surely will not miss you.

Some fun facts about The Duke's. The Duke's did more than 32,000,000 million Baht in business last year at our 2 locations. That's right, we severed more than 90,000 customers at our 2 location in Chiang Mai. Business was up last year by 15% over the year before and this year The Duke's is up over last year by another 15% for the first 3 months. Got it? Probably one of the busiest if not the busiest western restaurant in town.

The Duke's has almost 60 employees at 2 locations and one lady supports herself by just buying vegetables for the 2 locations. The Duke's spends about 5,000 to 10,000 Baht a day in vegetables. Most of the staff has been at The Duke's for years, some as long as 6 years. While floor staff has a tendency to turn over, the cooks have been at The Duke's for an average of 4 years. About half of The Night Bazaar staff started in the river location.

The Duke's pays all its taxes. That's right. Every Baht of that 7% that folks complain about on our bill goes for local government . In fact because we pay our taxes, we are opening up a new shop and the revenue department sent over a team to see if we needed help with anything. The head of the revenue department is a customer at The Duke's.

The Duke's has one branch in Bangkok and will soon be opening another branch in Terminal 21 and they will be branded as The Duke's American Grill Restaurants, a fast casual concept. The Duke's will be opening up up a The Duke's American Burger Grill within the next few months in Chiang Mai.

One of the reasons I sponsor/advertise on Thaivisa is because The Duke's has many many great customers that frequent these pages, including the owner of Thaivisa and many of the administrators. The Duke's has thousands or regulars and one of the reasons The Duke's is so successful is because we have a really solid base of great customers. If you don't count yourself among them then why bother?

I am far from the most perfect person and while it might be easy to toss a few eggs my way my staff relies on me to make this place run and to keep things together. I hold them to a high standard and I expect them to work up to it. At The Duke's all the staff works hard. If they are not a hard worker then they do not make it here. For that reason some of them are highly sought after by other restaurants and the hotels. Fortunately most of the good workers stay around.

That's again to all the great customers at The Duke's.

People will/must wonder, he is so large,so big why does he find the need sweat the small stuff??

I did write funny, so keep it coming but in no way did anybody have any idea of what pompous meant until today !!

enjoy!

Edited by yesterday