Internet Banking

sirineou

I am sure that the question has being asked many times, but my search does not find a specific answer to my question, So here it goes.

My Thai wife is visiting Thailand for 1 month, unfortunately, and much to my disappointed,my job did not allow me to go with her :(,

perhaps in a few months, I hope.

We want to open two accounts in a Thai bank, one Savings, and one Checking,and have the capability to transfer Funds via the internet between the two accounts.The reason for this is that we want her sister to have access to the limited funds in the checking account via ATM, but not to the larger amount in the saving account. Any advise on that respect will be highly appreciated

Thank You

Probably opening the checking account will be the most difficult. Under the circumstances you describe, probably best to open 2 savings accounts, 1 in your wife's sisters' name, there's no reason why she couldn't have her own account. All the banks offer internet banking, but many use an sms to the account holders (Thai) mobile phone to verify transactions, that might be a problem when your wife returns home (not sure if it's possible to register a non-Thai phone).

Probably opening the checking account will be the most difficult. Under the circumstances you describe, probably best to open 2 savings accounts, 1 in your wife's sisters' name, there's no reason why she couldn't have her own account. All the banks offer internet banking, but many use an sms to the account holders (Thai) mobile phone to verify transactions, that might be a problem when your wife returns home (not sure if it's possible to register a non-Thai phone).

Second thoughts, if both accounts are in the same name at the same bank, the sms part is avoided.

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply

You are right two savings accounts can work also,as long as her sister has an ATM debit card.The only reason I thought of a checking account was for the Debit card.

I had not think about the SMS issue, thank you for pointing that out. I don't believe an SMS to verify transactions will be an option, as we are in the USA,and I am not sure if their system will make international calls, or if we will receive them, it will be something that she will have to ask at the bank.

Thank you again

In my OP I forgot to mention that the bank needs to be in Khon Kaen

It comes under the heading of Bualuang-I-Banking and we have had an account for ..must be over 5 years now but have tended to do dosh transfers with Nationwide (when they were good)

I opened my first ac about 20 years ago at the Suk Rd Branch (opposite old Ambass hotel)and have never had any problems <_<

Might have a look and re-check our internet BB a/c :)

www.bangkokbank.com/banking

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply

You are right two savings accounts can work also,as long as her sister has an ATM debit card.The only reason I thought of a checking account was for the Debit card.

I had not think about the SMS issue, thank you for pointing that out. I don't believe an SMS to verify transactions will be an option, as we are in the USA,and I am not sure if their system will make international calls, or if we will receive them, it will be something that she will have to ask at the bank.

Thank you again

In my OP I forgot to mention that the bank needs to be in Khon Kaen

The sms notification is not a problem, but you (or the wife) will need to be in thailand when you set up the transfer from your ac you will only need to enter the once only number sms to your phone to set the ac transfer in the system after that, not required.

Now Im confused :rolleyes:

Most banks will allow you to receive the OTP (for confirming the transaction) via email, after you set it up at the bank.

Most banks will allow you to receive the OTP (for confirming the transaction) via email, after you set it up at the bank.

Ohh... E-mail will be great :) this is certainly something I will look in to.

many times people complain about the negative aspect of TV and other forums, But I must say, I cant count the times that TV and it's members have helped me.

Kudos :clap2:

I am with Siam Commercial Bank, and they offer the kind of internet service you are looking for. I would assume that most of the other leading Thai banks offer the same (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, TMB, Governsment Savings Bank, etc.).

If your intent is to restrict the use of your sister-in-law's ATM card to one of the two accounts, you need to make sure that she cannot make transfers between the two accounts with her card. With SCB, I can transfer between my accounts AND make transfers to third party accounts at any SCB ATM, without the use of an OTP confirmation. An OTP (sent to me either via SMS or email) is only required if I wanted to make a wire transfer via SCB's online service. I do not know how the other Thai banks handle this, but it may be similar, so this is something to look into before handing a card over to your SIL.

Just did a wire transfer from Pentagon Federal Credit Union to Bangkok Bank, NY yesterday with account number of wife's sister's Bangkok Bank account number in Bangkok. The money was there within two hours (maybe sooner) of us ordering the wire transfer. The amount wired was $350 and the Credit Union fee was $20 to us. The amount received in sister's bank account was 10,070 baht after conversion by Bangkok Bank at BKK rate and any fee they charged. I hear I can avoid the $20 fee if I use and ACH transfer with my regular bank account and will probably try that in the future. http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Transfering%20Funds/Transferring%20into%20Thailand/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20USA/Pages/Receiving%20Funds%20from%20USA.aspx

Edited by ronz28