Air Aisa

JoePai

Convenience fee

With effect from 2 November 2009, a Convenience Fee is now applicable for all online payments made via credit, debit or charge cards. Please see below for more details on the fee.

What is Convenience Fee?

A convenience fee is charged when payment is made through credit, debit or charge cards. The fee is charged per guest for each way and only applies to the initial booking. Any changes or addition to existing booking is excluded from the Convenience Fee.The fee is non-refundable

Why is the fee introduced?

To ensure that our guests are provided a comfortable and safe booking environment AirAsia has invested substantially to expand, implement and maintain our online payment systems and especially, to upgrade, enhance and improve the security features for online credit, debit and charge cards payments. The Convenience Fee is to subsidize the costs of the payment systems.

Are there other payment options which do not attract a Convenience Fee?

Yes, the Convenience Fee does not apply to direct debit payments.

Best way to avoid the convenience fee is to avoid flying air asia. Plenty of good alternatives these days. I've even see Thai airways post up some good last minute rates at the airport counter that's competitive with budget airlines.

This probably has more to do with the screeners, but Air Asia definitely takes advantage of the situation..........

I fly from Phuket to BKK with carry-on only, in my bathroom kit a bottle of mouthwash and some sunscreen. On the way to Bangkok no problem.

BKK back to Phuket, the screeners tell me the bottle sizes of my mouthwash and sunscreen too big, cannot let me pass. I tell them, I had no problems coming to Bangkok, why a problem going back? Sorry they say, have to check that if those bottles go.

Go back to Air Asia counter explain the situation, they say "sure you can check that, but it'll cost you 500thb". I say but the fee when I book is a lot cheaper than that. Again "sorry 500thb".

Mouthwash and sunscreen in the trash, what a waste.

I can see why airlines want to do that, accepting payments are not free.. Visa usually takes about 1-2% of the amount, mastercard, AmEx, and Diners take even more I think.. But they should work it in to the ticket price instead, just annoying seeing that extra on the end. Accepting cash payments are not free either btw (for shops who need to put the money somewhere).

However, it is quite normal, ryanair takes about 10 GBP for a round trip IIRC.

Re bottles, 100ML is the normal maximum (although, I have heard rumors of it going away in some countries soon).

Edit: Speaking of bottles, I got through security with a metal coffee mug in my backpack once without anyone checking :P

Edited by remiss

Best way to avoid the convenience fee is to avoid flying air asia. Plenty of good alternatives these days. I've even see Thai airways post up some good last minute rates at the airport counter that's competitive with budget airlines.

So the answer is to just turn up at the airport like it was a bus station provided that you don't mind not getting a flight at all because they're all full, just to save 100 Baht.

So the answer is to just turn up at the airport like it was a bus station provided that you don't mind not getting a flight at all because they're all full, just to save 100 Baht.

No, the answer is to call ahead of time and book over the phone. On some routes they are never full and there's always more than one airline offering similar prices. If this is too difficult for you to figure out then maybe you should stop flying altogether.

This probably has more to do with the screeners, but Air Asia definitely takes advantage of the situation..........

I fly from Phuket to BKK with carry-on only, in my bathroom kit a bottle of mouthwash and some sunscreen. On the way to Bangkok no problem.

BKK back to Phuket, the screeners tell me the bottle sizes of my mouthwash and sunscreen too big, cannot let me pass. I tell them, I had no problems coming to Bangkok, why a problem going back? Sorry they say, have to check that if those bottles go.

Go back to Air Asia counter explain the situation, they say "sure you can check that, but it'll cost you 500thb". I say but the fee when I book is a lot cheaper than that. Again "sorry 500thb".

Mouthwash and sunscreen in the trash, what a waste.

Not quiet the trash!!! I have friends who work at the airport as trolley handlers and they bring home every day , all the stuff that is supposed to go into the trash!!! They have shelves full of cosmetics,sunscreen products and bottled water that has never been used at their home.

So if they tell you at the airport that it all goes into the trash...this is NOT true!!

I flew on Air Asia for the first time a couple of months ago. The flight was ok. The problem with Air Asia is that they are a full fare airline pretending to be a budget airline. By the time you add on all their "fees" they are no cheaper than other airlines, depending on the timing and circumstances of your flight. The problem is that you have to go all the way through their booking site to find out what the real cost of the flight is - ignore the initial price that comes up when you do a search. As I said, I had no problems with the flight, but in my opinion, they are not a budget airline.

No, the answer is to call ahead of time and book over the phone. On some routes they are never full and there's always more than one airline offering similar prices. If this is too difficult for you to figure out then maybe you should stop flying altogether.

I can afford a 100 Baht convenience fee, if you can't then it's maybe you that should stop flying.

Edit: and in your post you said AT THE COUNTER, not over the 'phone, i've highlightede it for you so you can see it better.

Edited by PattayaParent

Hmmmm another nail in the Air Asia coffin - many thanks for all the replies.............from JoePai

Unfortunately Joe, re your comment, they are doing just fine, probably more fine than "Mr Tony" and whoever else threw in a few bob at the outset ever imagined.

I've minor gripes with them as well, as posted in other threads, but at the end of the day you bl--dywell get what you pay for.

When their "coffin" as you put it comes to fruition, I'll be the first to stand up here and admit that I was wrong, but the constant bitching on this forum about Air Asia is really becoming a bore...........They exist and at this stage exist strongly for a market which wants (and needs) to use them...........Get used to it!

I can afford a 100 Baht convenience fee, if you can't then it's maybe you that should stop flying.

Edit: and in your post you said AT THE COUNTER, not over the 'phone, i've highlightede it for you so you can see it better.

I'm so pleased to hear you can afford additional meaningless fees tacked on to your ticket and thanks for showing up in this thread to tell us this. Do you also beam with pride every time you pay that 5x foreigner surcharge to national parks?

I mentioned counter service as one option (in many) to get the best possible ticket price. Unlike you I don't frivolously throw money down the drain if I can find a better way with minimal effort involved.

Air Asia's slogan is Now Everyone Can Fly*

*subject to convenience fee, surchages, taxes and any fee we reserve the right to charge including charging for food, drink, handling YOUR luggage, use of toilet paper, water to flush toilet, fresh air in cabin, use of emergency masks/life vest in the unlikely event of a crash and for perving at our air stewardesses in those tight dresses.

I mentioned counter service as one option (in many) to get the best possible ticket price. Unlike you I don't frivolously throw money down the drain if I can find a better way with minimal effort involved.

The only problem with using the counter service is that it's more expensive than booking online, I'm pretty sure that the extra costs outweighs the "convenience fee".

And of course their promotional fares are not available at the counter outlets - well according to their website anyway.

I'm so pleased to hear you can afford additional meaningless fees tacked on to your ticket and thanks for showing up in this thread to tell us this. Do you also beam with pride every time you pay that 5x foreigner surcharge to national parks?

Got a Thai license lad so never pay the Farang price anywhere.

But it probably costs you more than 100 baht in 'phone calls to them.

But they're probably quite happy without your 100 Baht as their flights are always full when I've flown them.

This is all pretty funny, the weekly Air Asia debate.

If you don't like them, don't fly them. There will be more seats and better bargains for those of us who, fortunately, have the ability to plan in advance and don't need the frills of a full-cost airline. Once you've booked your first ticket with Air Asia, you'll know what their fees are -- 100 baht for the "convenience" and maybe a baggage fee.

So many complaints on AirAsia, the best part is they are the very passengers who travelled on AA....simple stop flying AA and no complaints... :unsure:

Actually, the ones that seem to complain the most seem to be the ones that have never flown on Air Asia!

I fly regularly with them, and have never had a complaint.

if you dont like airasia, dont fly with them. plenty of other airlines flying inside thailand and surprisingly internationally as well

if you dont want to pay the convenience fee get a siam commercial account. that way you dont have to pay for it

happy and safe flying!

I fly air asia all the time and never had much of a problem with them until the last 2 times.

Even when booking 2 tickets together and checking in together we have been seated at either end of the plane.When I asked why they said flight full(it was not)and was told to use the web check in facility to guarantee sitting together.

So the next flight I used the web check in only to be seated at either end of the plane again.There were no other seats taken when i used web check so why 1 person in row 5 and 1 person in row 21.

Me thinks it because they want you book a seat and pay for the privilege of sitting together.

I don't have a problem with a "Convenience Fee" ,which is designed to cover their cost of processing credit transactions,but I do see it as 'scammish' when I make a single transaction for 3-tickets and charged the "Convenience Fee" 3-times!! angry.gif

The 100 baht is for the 'convenience' of being able to pay Air Asia for the flight.

It is just another annoying add-on that some companies (especially budget airlines) think makes them friends.

Well ..... the 100Bt. fee from AirAsia is aparently the small amount they charge to handle your credit card on line ---- and in doing so save you from something like this: (from one of the "full service" airlines)

Qantas Fee Receipt Ground Floor, Qantas Centre Building

197-201 Coward St, Mascot

Sydney NSW 2020 x April 2011

Your Airline Receipt for Booking Reference: xxxxxxx

Booking Details

Passenger Fee Type Receipt No GST Paid Amount Paid

MRS xxxxxxxxxx Booking Fee -------- N/A AUD60.00

MR yyyyyyyyyyy Booking Fee --------- N/A AUD60.00

Qantas Airways Ltd ABN 16 009 661 901

This was a booking via phone for myself and Mrs.Tig from Thailand to Australia return. Whilst this 4000Bt. fee may be detailed somewhere on their website --- this receipt was the first I knew of the charge.

God bless AirAsia !! 100 Bt. convenience you say ??? Yes please!!

Join the frequent flyer club for bangkok Air and fly them when you can. By joining the club you will not pay for over weight bag, which if flying Air Asian could cost you more than the ticket. I avoid all of these so called cheap airlines, they nickle and dime you to death and then add it up and no savings or maybe more than if you paid for a flight on a regular airline. I like the exit row seat and now I donot even ask for it on Bangkok Air automatic as my seat preferance. I have never had a drama with Bangkok Air and the good service I recieve is worth the little bit more I might pay for a ticket.

Edited by moe666