Plasma Tv Problem, Why So Expensive To Repair?

vursas

My Samsung 42" Plasma TV, started to show couple of red & green vertical lines on the screen, on all outputs (can still watch the TV fine, it's just a bit disturbing). The TV is a bit more than 2 years old, so it's outside of warranty.

Took me long time to get samsung customer service (they kept saying they call me back, when they didn't, but that's a different story), but in the end they gave me 2 prices:

1. Come to check my TV, 1700 bht - just for the visit! (I live in Silom area)

2. Panel replacement (which is probably the right solution for this problem), 8700 bht (don't know if will need to include VAT or work, but I'm guessing it will be a bit more).

Are those normal prices, or they just trying to trick me? How can a house visit be so expensive?

Anyone know of cheaper alternatives, maybe not coming from the official Samsung?

For now I've decided to not pay for fixing, and just live with the issue until it will get really worse, and then I'll just buy a new TV. I think it makes more sense than spending about 33% of the TV price for fixing it.

Thanks

1700 baht for a housecall does not sound too bad, give another thread

where someone is being quoted 10,000 baht.......

You could put the screen in your car and take it to the Samsung service centre. It sounds as though they are on your street.

Boonmitr Building, Silom Road, Sathorn, Bangkok, 10500

From Google

The price of a new screen sounds about right, but you will have to weigh up how much the TV is worth today, and whether the repair is justified.

1700 baht for a housecall does not sound too bad, give another thread

where someone is being quoted 10,000 baht.......

You could put the screen in your car and take it to the Samsung service centre. It sounds as though they are on your street.

Boonmitr Building, Silom Road, Sathorn, Bangkok, 10500

From Google

The price of a new screen sounds about right, but you will have to weigh up how much the TV is worth today, and whether the repair is justified.

Thanks. I think I'll just keep the TV until it's not usable, and then get a new one. spending 30% of the price of a new TV on an old one, sounds a waste..