No Wifi

smokie36

Hi folks

My laptop crashed a while ago and I had to do a system restore. Still had probs so obtained recovery disks for my Vaio. Tried to run these but it crashes during the installation.

Basically my laptop runs fine except for the Wifi issue.

None is detected and it says "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured".

Have enquired with Sony and they wanted a prohibitive sum to fix.

Any thoughts or advice to fix this would be welcome.

Thanks.

:jap:

Smokie take it to an internet cafe and plug the ethernet cable into it to connect to the internet. Go to device manager and open the wifi adapter. Then choose to update the driver automatically and it should then go the the relevant site and download the driver you seem to be missing. Either that or just go the cafe and go to the Sony website and download the driver you need onto a stick and install it .

That should sort it ;)

Smokie take it to an internet cafe and plug the ethernet cable into it to connect to the internet. Go to device manager and open the wifi adapter. Then choose to update the driver automatically and it should then go the the relevant site and download the driver you seem to be missing. Either that or just go the cafe and go to the Sony website and download the driver you need onto a stick and install it .

That should sort it ;)

Thanks for that Dunc. I'm using a dongle with my laptop now.

Open the wifi adapter??

OK I have a section Network adaptors which are fine. Below that is Other Devices.

I have Base System Device, Network Controller , SM Bus Controller and Unknown Device all showing "The drivers for this device are not installed. Code 28.".

When I try to find updates on my laptop or via the internet it brings up nothing and advises to contact the manufacturer.

I'm a bit lost now I admit....:(

Smokie right click on my computer. Select " device manager " Then click on " network controllers " Your wifi adapter should have a yellow ! next to it. Right click this and select " update driver " Then " automatically search the internet " and by rights it shouls find and install the missing driver for you ? :unsure:

Or as said go to the Sony website and download the appropriate driver for the adapter you have on your model. :D

Smokie right click on my computer. Select " device manager " Then click on " network controllers " Your wifi adapter should have a yellow ! next to it. Right click this and select " update driver " Then " automatically search the internet " and by rights it shouls find and install the missing driver for you ? :unsure:

Or as said go to the Sony website and download the appropriate driver for the adapter you have on your model. :D

OK I've been to the network controllers page. It has my AIS...Vodafone...Bluetooth and LAN connections listed but no Wifi adapter showing. :o:(

Go to the Sony (Thailand) web site. Look for and click on updates. Enter your model number etc. On the updates page you see an option to download and install the original software that shipped with the laptop and this will include original drivers.

I have been using Vaio's for close on 8 years and if you keep the drivers up to date then you should not have a problem.

Go to the Sony (Thailand) web site. Look for and click on updates. Enter your model number etc. On the updates page you see an option to download and install the original software that shipped with the laptop and this will include original drivers.

I have been using Vaio's for close on 8 years and if you keep the drivers up to date then you should not have a problem.

Tried this already with no success. Downloads simply time out.

Wireless driver 29.4MB

How do I perform this update?

1. Exit all running programs.

2. Download this update and save it to your hard drive.

3. When the download is completed, locate the downloaded file in the location you specified.

4. Double-click EP0000193935.exe to run it.

5. Click Next, wait while the wizard updates your software, and then click Finish.

Wireless driver 29.4MB

3. When the download is completed, locate the downloaded file in the location you specified.

5. Click Next, wait while the wizard updates your software, and then click Finish.

Thanks for your help.

This has gone fine until step 5. I click to allow it in user controls and then the wizard appears on screen for a couple of seconds then disappears.

Wireless driver 29.4MB

Thanks for your help.

This has gone fine until step 5. I click to allow it in user controls and then the wizard appears on screen for a couple of seconds then disappears.

Right Click on the file and choose 'Run As Administrator'.

Tell me about your Recovery Discs.

Wireless driver 29.4MB

Thanks for your help.

Right Click on the file and choose 'Run As Administrator'.

Tell me about your Recovery Discs.

Same result with the Run as Administrator option.

The recovery discs? Phoned Sony had a chat with them and they sent these out to me. Tried to restore to the original settings several times but each time it crashed at the same point.

Contacted Sony again who wanted half the price of my laptop to fix it. Not really an option.

Create a Vista Recovery Disc:

Download and save this Vista Recovery Disc Image to a working computer.

Next, download and install ImgBurn(No need to install the ASK Toolbar. Remove the relevant tick). Burn the Image to Disc. Use this guide(skip step 2b)

Next:

Run ChkDsk from the Windows Recovery Environment. Look at How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment for instruction.

This will check for errors and inconsistencies on your hard drive.

Enter the commands: chkdsk C: /f or chkdsk C: /r

Keep the spaces as I have written them.

Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots.

Next, download and install ImgBurn(No need to install the ASK Toolbar. Remove the relevant tick). Burn the Image to Disc. Use this guide(skip step 2b)

Next:

Run ChkDsk from the Windows Recovery Environment. Look at How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment for instruction.

Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots.

The first part I can't get to download. Anyway I ran the chkdsk commands and restarted. Nothing changed.

Next:

The first part I can't get to download. Anyway I ran the chkdsk commands and restarted. Nothing changed.

Did you run ChkDsk?? You can also run it from the Windows environment. Look here

Did you run ChkDsk?? You can also run it from the Windows environment. Look here

OK 5 hours later and chkdsk has finished running.

Edit: Tried running the wireless driver again and the only change is it now takes a few more seconds before disappearing.

Edited by smokie36

Can you take a look in the Device Manager to see if the Wireless card Drivers have been installed, under Network Adaptors. There will still be a yellow exclamation mark in that location if they are not installed.

If not, download and save this Wireless LAN Driver file to the Desktop screen, double click on it and follow the instruction to extract the folder within. Open the folder and run the Setup file as Administrator.

Follow the Wizard in order to install the Driver. You should be connected to the Internet for this.

If after all that there still is a yellow exclamation mark in that location, install the Driver manually by pointing the wizard to C:\windows\system32\drivers

I surmise that the Driver didn't install because certain prerequisite have not been met. Perhaps the NET Framework has not been installed. The latest set of instructions will ensure that the prerequisites are fulfilled.

The Drivers and instructions that you need are here. There should be no exclamation marks left in the Device Manager, so there are a few more Drivers to install. Read the documentation for the order in which they should be installed.

I'm off to bed. :)

OK I have a section Network adaptors which are fine. Below that is Other Devices.

I have Base System Device, Network Controller , SM Bus Controller and Unknown Device all showing "The drivers for this device are not installed. Code 28.".

When I try to find updates on my laptop or via the internet it brings up nothing and advises to contact the manufacturer.

Can you take a look in the Device Manager to see if the Wireless card Drivers have been installed, under Network Adaptors. There will still be a yellow exclamation mark in that location if they are not installed.

If not, download and save this Wireless LAN Driver file to the Desktop screen, double click on it and follow the instruction to extract the folder within. Open the folder and run the Setup file as Administrator.

Follow the Wizard in order to install the Driver. You should be connected to the Internet for this.

If after all that there still is a yellow exclamation mark in that location, install the Driver manually by pointing the wizard to C:\windows\system32\drivers

OK the yellow exclamation mark is beside all of the above. In a section below Network Adapters.

To give a better overview my computer failed to open windows some time ago and I had to open in safe mode. Trying to do a system restore wasn't possible as they had all been wiped. I had lost my recovery disc......:(

I restarted the laptop from scratch and tried to download the updates from Vaio. Some are OK like sound and the graphics stuff but I had lost quite a lot. Hence me contacting Sony and obtaining the three recovery discs specific to the model.

When I try to install them they fail at the same point each time. Sony seem to think there is a problem I can't solve myself and needs technical support which would be fine if the price wasn't so high.

In practice only two things annoy me. The lack of wifi and the mouse functions (beyond basic function) not working.

Maybe the answer for me is to buy a new wireless adapter and load that on to the laptop. Do you think that would work?

Thanks for your perseverence Jiu Jitsu! :)

"I restarted the laptop from scratch" What does this mean exactly? Restore C: drive? Restore complete system? Describe how you achieved this?

It wa a while ago. I think it was restore C drive. I notice Vaio Recovery Center is missing from my computer also.

Edit: On the Intel(P) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software

"This installation is not supported on this operating system version. The set up application will exit."

I have this program now on the desktop.

Edited by smokie36

Perhaps time to back up your important data and to run a clean install. Before you take this step, I want to check on your BIOS version and relevant details.

Download this file to the Sony's Desktop. Once saved, double click on the file and follow the instruction in order to extract the folder within.

Open the folder and double click on the application within. One the application has run, click on the 'Advanced' tab. You can take a screenshot of the page and send it to me via PM or click on the application's 'Save' button, save the resultant file to your desktop and get it to me by uploading it to a file hoster and post the resultant link(via PM is ok). File Factory or MediaFire will do(Just click 'Upload', no need to sign up).

Will look at it and advise when I'm next up.