No Wifi

smokie36

"I restarted the laptop from scratch" What does this mean exactly? Restore C: drive? Restore complete system? Describe how you achieved this?

It wa a while ago. I think it was restore C drive. I notice Vaio Recovery Center is missing from my computer also.

Edit: On the Intel(P) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software

"This installation is not supported on this operating system version. The set up application will exit."

I have this program now on the desktop.

Did you click on the 'Setup' application as instructed, not the Intel PROSet Wireless Installer? You must click on the Setup file. This file is the original driver, with the driver in post #16 being the update.

If it fails, it may be an idea to start again from scratch.

"I restarted the laptop from scratch" What does this mean exactly? Restore C: drive? Restore complete system? Describe how you achieved this?

It wa a while ago. I think it was restore C drive. I notice Vaio Recovery Center is missing from my computer also.

Edit: On the Intel(P) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software

"This installation is not supported on this operating system version. The set up application will exit."

I have this program now on the desktop.

Did you click on the 'Setup' application as instructed, not the Intel PROSet Wireless Installer? You must click on the Setup file. This file is the original driver, with the driver in post #16 being the update.

If it fails, it may be an idea to start again from scratch.

Used the setup file within the folder now on my desktop yes. Get the same message each time.

PM Sent. Also in the properties page it says...

Windows Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 1

System

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @2.4Ghz

System Type: 64 Bit Operating System

This explains the problem. You have installed the 64 bit version of VHP. You need to install the 32 bit version.

Service Pack 1

System

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @2.4Ghz

Didn't get the info that I needed from the .bin file. Can you take the screenshot of the advanced page instead?

Service Pack 1

System

Processor: Intel® Core ™ 2 Duo CPU P8600 @2.4Ghz

This explains the problem. You have installed the 64 bit version of VHP. You need to install the 32 bit version.

Hmm OK....how to do this?

Service Pack 1

System

Didn't get the info that I needed from the .bin file. Can you take the screenshot of the advanced page instead?

PM sent.

Service Pack 1

System

Hmm OK....how to do this?

You will have to copy your important data elsewhere and to run a clean install, this time choosing 32 bit.

I'm not sure if your Recovery system is still functioning. So perhaps you'll need a disc. You tell me.

You will have to copy your important data elsewhere and to run a clean install, this time choosing 32 bit.

I'm not sure if your Recovery system is still functioning. So perhaps you'll need a disc. You tell me.

Well Backup and Restore Centre is working OK but Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso says missing shortcut.

I think I might as well just pick up a Windows 7 package today as you suggested.

Well Backup and Restore Centre is working OK but Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso says missing shortcut.

I think I might as well just pick up a Windows 7 package today as you suggested.

This doesn't make any sense.

I didn't suggest that you pick up a Windows 7 package. I just asked you to tell if you needed a disc.

I mean the VAIO Recovery Centre. Page 14 of the manual.

If you decide to go ahead the Windows 7 64bit installation, you may lose that functionality. Try to not consider using a dodgy copy of Windows 7. If we ever have to troubleshoot in the future it may add an extra line of attack. There are ways to do these things.

This doesn't make any sense.

I didn't suggest that you pick up a Windows 7 package. I just asked you to tell if you needed a disc.

Sorry. No I don't have VAIO Recovdery Centre on the computer. I do have a series of three recovery discs sent from Sony. But as far as I know they are for a complete reinstallation.

I guess the answer is yes I do need a disc.

I mean the VAIO Recovery Centre. Page 14 of the manual.

If you decide to go ahead the Windows 7 64bit installation, you may lose that functionality. Try to not consider using a dodgy copy of Windows 7. If we ever have to troubleshoot in the future it may add an extra line of attack. There are ways to do these things.

Uncanny....read my mind....! lol!

We can update the BIOS, but it is done entirely at your own risk. Let me know if you want to go ahead with it.

Just been to the System Management BIOS driver and tried to update. Told me I already have the best option installed.

Not keen to do anything to the BIOS to be honest. At least the laptop works mostly for me now....I understand things can get worse as well as better.

We can update the BIOS, but it is done entirely at your own risk. Let me know if you want to go ahead with it.

Just been to the System Management BIOS driver and tried to update. Told me I already have the best option installed.

Not keen to do anything to the BIOS to be honest. At least the laptop works mostly for me now....I understand things can get worse as well as better.

You were just supposed to tell me if you wanted to go ahead with it or not....not actually try it.

Yes, there is a risk with updating a BIOS, but it isn't fatal. At worst it can be recovered. But the benefits are worthy. :)

You were just supposed to tell me if you wanted to go ahead with it or not....not actually try it.

Yes, there is a risk with updating a BIOS, but it isn't fatal. At worst it can be recovered. But the benefits are worthy. :)

Sounds loke a risk I can live with. :)

• 2 months later...

Ok I'm having trouble with my wifi now again. It tells me I have "a problem with one or more wireless routers on this computer."

tried resetting things and this has cleared the problem intermittently for the last few days. Today that's not working.

Any ideas folks?

Fair to say at least I have a laptop that's now still working anyway...thanks again to Jiu Jitsu!

Edited by smokie36