Nom Nao

kerryk

There is a town of 2 or 3 thousand people about 5 miles away from Nom Nao National park. Close to Phetchabun.

Have you ever been to the town? As far as I know there is a mini mart there, a Thai buffet owned by a German guy, a market three days a week, an INTERNET SHOP, copy shop and police station,

There is a town of 2 or 3 thousand people about 5 miles away from Nom Nao National park. Close to Phetchabun.

Have you ever been to the town? As far as I know there is a mini mart there, a Thai buffet owned by a German guy, a market three days a week, an INTERNET SHOP, copy shop and police station,

I have probably passed through the town on my motorcycle but do not recall stopping. I just thought you may be looking for general information about the area.

By the way it is Nam Nao. cold water not cold milk.

Edited by Gonsalviz

I have probably passed through the town on my motorcycle but do not recall stopping. I just thought you may be looking for general information about the area.

Of course you are correct but the milk conjured up a better image in my mind must have been a Freudian typo. I was after information to give me a feel for the place. I realize it is a micro climate and cooler than Phetchabun. I was wondering about the look of the town, mountains, flat? What kind of houses? Is it in the middle of farms or they a ways away? Is there any tourist potential because of the cool weather? I am going to look myself in a month or so but wanted some advance information on what to expect. I have lived on a farm before but in this case my house is in the town.

Of course you are correct but the milk conjured up a better image in my mind must have been a Freudian typo. I was after information to give me a feel for the place. I realize it is a micro climate and cooler than Phetchabun. I was wondering about the look of the town, mountains, flat? What kind of houses? Is it in the middle of farms or they a ways away? Is there any tourist potential because of the cool weather? I am going to look myself in a month or so but wanted some advance information on what to expect. I have lived on a farm before but in this case my house is in the town.

The whole area is rather rural. Farms are everywhere except in the National park. Tourism is probably limited to the National Park and Homestays. I will try to upload a vid taken from the motorcycle on Hiway 12 through the are. At the moment my wife is hurrying me along.

I also understand the Freudian slip. But I would prefer warm.

Only place I know that would have that amount of people and between Nam nao and Phetchabun is LOMSAK ?

On the map I have it is just North of Nam Nao so not actually between Phetchabun and Nam Nao. Sorry if I mispoke.

I dont live in Nam Nao but i live in Lomsak which is not to far away,ive visited the National Park in the past and the various other sites within Phetchabun,which is mostly waterfalls and mountains,i can not speak for Nam Nao but as someone who has lived in Lomsak for a while now i can imagine the potential for tourism is very limited,with Khao Khor not so far away and of a similar climate its highly unlikely that tourism is going to flourish there in Nam Nao except for the park itself,the majority of tourism in this area caters mainly for Thais and not foreigners.It is a lovely part of the country though and is a great place to set up home if you want a quiet life that is.This area of Phetchabun is very rural as a whole and you really need to be into to make a permanent move here,some people take the farming option and some who are here to retire just take it easy and dont tend to do to much at all,maybe a daily cycle ride spot of gardening the usual thing really.Also although if in the mountains Phetchabun is a very hot place at times and not for everyone.

If you are talking about Nam Nao the town, how far north are you speaking? Also in that area is Phu Kradung (mountain) I believe it is around 1300 meters high and is very cooling with waterfalls and camping.

I tried to attach the video but the file is too lagre.

On my Phetchabun map the town of Nam Nao น้ำหนาว is on route 2216, it out in the sticks but still in Phetchabun province, which is not in Isan!.

I have never heard of it but we have some chaps from Lom Sak at the golf club so will ask around.

On my Phetchabun map the town of Nam Nao น้ำหนาว is on route 2216, it out in the sticks but still in Phetchabun province, which is not in Isan!.

I have never heard of it but we have some chaps from Lom Sak at the golf club so will ask around.

Ok, so I missed by a province. Bet money they still speak Isan.

I will pass on that bet!, not only do they speak Isan Lao down here too, we also have their festivals.

The annual Bang Fi is on 14/15 May in Phu Toei.

Some good musical acts this year plus lots of rockets!!

I dont live in Nam Nao but i live in Lomsak which is not to far away,ive visited the National Park in the past and the various other sites within Phetchabun,which is mostly waterfalls and mountains,i can not speak for Nam Nao but as someone who has lived in Lomsak for a while now i can imagine the potential for tourism is very limited,with Khao Khor not so far away and of a similar climate its highly unlikely that tourism is going to flourish there in Nam Nao except for the park itself,the majority of tourism in this area caters mainly for Thais and not foreigners.It is a lovely part of the country though and is a great place to set up home if you want a quiet life that is.This area of Phetchabun is very rural as a whole and you really need to be into to make a permanent move here,some people take the farming option and some who are here to retire just take it easy and dont tend to do to much at all,maybe a daily cycle ride spot of gardening the usual thing really.Also although if in the mountains Phetchabun is a very hot place at times and not for everyone.

Since you live in Lomsak, do you speak Lomsak? Where does one get a Lomsak dictionary?

Ok, so I missed by a province. Bet money they still speak Isan.

She understands Isan. But when on the phone she speaks Lom Sak to her family and friends in Nam Nao. She likes som tom. The whole Issan thing confuses me. So Phetchabun province is not considered Issan?

Phetchabun is classified in some circles as northern Thailand and by others central Thailand. Technicalities aside, to me it seems most similar to Isaan. Phetchabun borders Isaan on the east (Chaiyaphum). Phetchabun people are primarily ethnic Laos. The food, particularly outside the city is Laos/Isaan style with slight differences. For instance unlike Isaan, people commonly eat beef and water buffalo, but on the other hand I haven't seen dancing shrimp. Laos language has a number of dialects. The language people speak in Phetchabun is referred to by themselves as Laos, not Isaan and has numerous differences from Isaan, though it is similar. For instance, in Isaan the word for "that's right" is "man you", but in Phetchabun it is simply "man" and the word "you" is never used here in any circumstances. The music and festivals in Phetchabun are also like you see in Isaan. People in Isaan refer to themselves as being Isaan, people in Phetchabun refer to themselves as being Laos. So almost same same, but different.

Since you live in Lomsak, do you speak Lomsak? Where does one get a Lomsak dictionary?

I cant help on the dictionary front im afraid,but some easy ones to remember are Sabai Dee Bor,and Sep Bor as opposed to Sabai Dee Rue and Aroi,as in how are you and its delicious etc etc,the best way to learn it is to live it,mix with the locals try your hand at it and it gradually comes little by little.

Sabai Dee Bor

That's Isaan. I can't say that I have heard that greeting used in Phetchabun so it may not be part of their Laos dialect though they would understand it.

Its frequently used in Lom sak which is what 48 kilometers from Phetchabun,same i hear bor pen yang as opposed to mai pen rai,we dont get the nam horn here as opposed to nam ron though.just a few minor observations on the language front,i believe your previous post has already expressed some valid points about the dialect/tradition here in Lom Sak the Laos/Isan connection.

Edited by stoneyboy

Nom Nao is part of Phetchabun Province, go onto Wilki site and just type the name in, is has much info on most places in Thailand.

I did that first but wiki has no information about the town Nam Nao. Lots of information about the national park but I don't want any information about the national park as I have read all of that. The OP was a request for info about the town not the province. But thanks anyway.

Sabai Dee Bor

That's Isaan. I can't say that I have heard that greeting used in Phetchabun so it may not be part of their Laos dialect though they would understand it.

Its frequently used in Lom sak which is what 48 kilometers from Phetchabun,same i hear bor pen yang as opposed to mai pen rai,we dont get the nam horn here as opposed to nam ron though.just a few minor observations on the language front,i believe your previous post has already expressed some valid points about the dialect/tradition here in Lom Sak the Laos/Isan connection.

Trying to learn Thai in Lom Sak is like trying to learn English in Aberdeen.

A Lao speaker I know puts Lom Sak at about 50% Lao and the accent seems to be instantly recognised throughout Thailand.

Other Lao words and phrases I have picked up on are 'mur' instead of 'wun' for 'day' and 'sao wao' for 'shut up'

Down in the valley in Lom Sak they don't consider it part of Isaan, but up in the hills at Nam Nao they see themselves as Isaan.

PS dancing shrimps were available at the restaurants beside the reservoir to the west of Phetchabun.