How Much Safer Is Riding Baht Buses Than Running A Motorcycle?

Jingthing

I think we can all agree that for regular transport in Pattaya, riding baht buses is much safer than relying on motorcycles. I was reminded of this today while riding a baht bus and seeing yet another bloody scene on the road and a wrecked bike. Yes there are hazards on the baht buses, drivers pulling off too soon while people are boarding, thieves on the bus, and general road accidents. However, when there is a fatal accident with a baht bus it is is big and UNUSUAL news. When there is a fatal motorcycle accident, it's part of the general weekly news.

So how much safer is it to rely on baht buses? Like 100 times safer? I think at least 100 times safer. What do you think?

There is a hidden risk in using the baht buses though. You walk more. You cross streets on foot more. That's where the danger is with baht bus riding -- crossing streets.

I also realize that many people NEED to run a bike or car in town for various very good reasons.

Edited by Jingthing

I'd say standing on the back of a Baht bus is a dangerous enough way to travel too. A big bump or a sudden stop could easily cause a knock to the head causing you to lose your balance and tumble off the back of the thing.

Sitting inside the bus though? I'd guess you're about right 100 times smaller risk of death or serious injury for any given journey. All those scars I've seen on Thais - not once has anyone told me they got it from a Baht Bus journey. Always 'Mortorsai'.

That's a good point about standing on the back. However, I never saw a news item about people falling off (not including crash incidents).

I remember hearing / reading a couple of stories involving injuries / death involving people tumbling from the back of bb's, all to do with farangs - and alchol was a factor. Not rying to contradict jingthing jus posting as a matter of interest!! :rolleyes:

agree with op's point though

People are always freaking out about how dangerous motorcycles are in Pattaya. Seeing gory accidents here and there and even seeing accident stats doesn't tell you the real story. A motorcyclist has a choice as to how safe his riding will be. He can ride like an idiot and be an accident waiting to happen, or ride carefully and be relatively safe.

If you take into consideration the extreme number of motorcycles on the roads in Pattaya and the number of young crazy Thais (and foreigners) riding them who don't seem to fear death, I'm amazed at how few accidents I see.

A motorcyclist has a choice as to how safe his riding will be.

Yes, but he has no control over other "idiots".

100 times safer in a Baht Bus seems about right.

You don't have control over the other idiots, but you do have control over how they affect your own safety.

Baht buses are not a viable option for most people living here because of their limited availability once off the tourist circuit. They would be useless where I live, therefore not an option. Motorcycles are the only convenient mode of transport if you live on the bright side of town.

I am going to join Jingthing in this one

I have never seen a Baht bus driver pull some of the stupid stunts I routinely see motorcycle drivers doing (Farang and Thai)

Are you serious? I see baht buses pulling stupid stunts all day long but you're probably not aware of them if you're riding in the back.

As a motorcyclist, baht buses are your number one enemy. They drive crazy and far too fast and expect motorcycles to get out of their way.

Edited by tropo

Brings about another question, "how much safer are you in a car, with a seat belt" than exposed in the back of a Baht bus? I was pondering this yesterday while driving behind a Baht bus with people hanging off the back, should people riding in the back of pickups wear safety helmets? (quality ones, not the cheap crap 95% off people wear)Probably no, they simply should not be allowed to ride in the back!

Should school children continue to be allowed to ride to school 3 on a motor bike as it is safer than walking?

Road safety has a long way to go here...........

My rules for not getting killed on a scooter in Pattaya. 1. Don't drink and drive. 2. Never ride your scooter faster then you could go on a bicycle. 3. Always wear a helmet (buy a real one not a cheapo) 4. Avoid the Sukhumvit as much as possible. Stick with these and you probably will not get killed, you may still crash and get hurt.

How much safer is it to have no sex instead sex with condoms? What is the importance to know by which factor taking a Songthaew is saferinstead riding a motorcycle? Mind boggling...

Edited by moo9

When you drive a bike, you need to be very careful of baht bus drivers. They often pull in quickly, and can push you onto the kerb, or into something else. Never pass a baht bus on the inside unless it is stopped in traffic.

Driving a bike safely, is largely based on experience, and good sense.

Back on topic, 4 wheels are always safer than 2, and that's a fact of life.

You also really need to ask the question of how practical the different modes of transport are as the safest thing to do would be not to go anywhere. If you restricted yourself to Baht buses then you wouldn't be able to get around very much and would be restricted in where you could go.

I would say the unsafest method of motorised transport would be the motorbike but, if alone, it is by far the most practical. Safest would be by car and also means i can transport my family around. If I happen to be on a baht bus route and i am going to another destination on its route then i would take the baht bus.

Relying on public transport for a few weeks as a tourists is fine but to live here without yr own means of transport must be very restrictive.

Can't argue with that! hitting something else with a couple of ton is way preferable to getting hit with a couple of ton!

statistically riding a motorcycle is a lot safer than taking a flight! (given that there are far more motorcycle journeys than aircraft flights!)

Safest would be by car and also means i can transport my family around. If I happen to be on a baht bus route and i am going to another destination on its route then i would take the baht bus.

I have no idea how anyone could drive a car around the tourist zone. During most of the day and evening a 10 minute motorcycle trip could easily become 30 minutes or in a car when the streets are gridlocked. I don't know how anyone could have the patience. Often the traffic is so bad even a motorcycle can be held up.

However, I would not live on the dark side without a car. I was looking for an apartment recently and I took a ride east of Sukhumvit. Single narrow lane roads with impatient cars needing to speed past or forcing me to ride faster - no thanks.I'm a habitual tourist zone resident. Sukhumvit Road is enough to keep me away from the dark side. I lived there for 3 months back 5 years ago and the increase in traffic volume is substantial since then - and it was bad enough back then.

Safest would be by car and also means i can transport my family around. If I happen to be on a baht bus route and i am going to another destination on its route then i would take the baht bus.

I have no idea how anyone could drive a car around the tourist zone. During most of the day and evening a 10 minute motorcycle trip could easily become 30 minutes or in a car when the streets are gridlocked. I don't know how anyone could have the patience. Often the traffic is so bad even a motorcycle can be held up.

However, I would not live on the dark side without a car. I was looking for an apartment recently and I took a ride east of Sukhumvit. Single narrow lane roads with impatient cars needing to speed past or forcing me to ride faster - no thanks.I'm a habitual tourist zone resident. Sukhumvit Road is enough to keep me away from the dark side. I lived there for 3 months back 5 years ago and the increase in traffic volume is substantial since then - and it was bad enough back then.

Are you suggesting that if, for example, I was going to central with my 2yr old daugter I should stick her on the back of my motorbike rather than take the car which may take a few more minutes.

Having driven a car and bike most days around Pattaya I think yr comments about the traffic are a touch exagerated - sure you do occasionally get held up but not significantly so.

^ You must be incredibly lucky! I go into Pattaya most days from the Darkside and the journey inevitably takes at least twice as long when taking car! years back I used to use Motorcycle, but with the traffic now the risk is simply not worth it!

Edited by CGW

Are you suggesting that if, for example, I was going to central with my 2yr old daugter I should stick her on the back of my motorbike rather than take the car which may take a few more minutes.

Having driven a car and bike most days around Pattaya I think yr comments about the traffic are a touch exagerated - sure you do occasionally get held up but not significantly so.

I didn't suggest anything at all, however for you to say that a car takes only a "few minutes longer" than a motorcycle is a gross exaggeration. In gridlocked traffic, which is the norm on Central Road, I'll beat you point to point by a substantial margin. I'll be half way through a meal by the time you get to the car park.

BTW, many Farangs take their young children on motorcycles. I would too.

Edited by tropo

When you drive a bike, you need to be very careful of baht bus drivers. They often pull in quickly, and can push you onto the kerb, or into something else. Never pass a baht bus on the inside unless it is stopped in traffic.

Driving a bike safely, is largely based on experience, and good sense.

But most Thais, and a good portion of Farangs, have neither.

Edit: Is JT thinking of giving up his amusing fights with the baht bus mafia for his own personal conveyance? Maybe a new Glitterman in wating?

Edited by PattayaParent

The secret is to go faster than the baht buses. Most of the close calls I've had have been when someone come from behind, going faster than me and try to run me off the road.

Of course this means you need to stay alert, not sit and sleep at the handlebar.

This seems rather a curious topic comparing the relative safety of 2 totally different modes of transport which do not in any way act as direct substitutes for each other. As many posters have already said, the baht buses only run around the tourist areas, motorbikes go anywhere and everywhere. Baht buses are a cheap form of local transport which serve tourists and those living in the City/main resort area, the rest of us have motorbikes for the cheap option or cars. Personally I use my motorbike whenever possible and only resort to the car when travelling out of the area altogether or shopping for large items.

Having learned to ride a motorcycle in Pattaya and survived these last 10 years unscathed (says he reaching for a large piece of wood) I would say that I feel perfectly safe on my bike and wouldn't consider the baht bus alternative even if I lived in the centre of town.

The secret is to go faster than the baht buses. Most of the close calls I've had have been when someone come from behind, going faster than me and try to run me off the road.

Of course this means you need to stay alert, not sit and sleep at the handlebar.

Well said Mr Connors, my feelings exactly, most of the things that try to kill you come from behind! Keep up with or slightly ahead of the traffic with your eyes wide open and there are very few problems.

That's a good point about standing on the back. However, I never saw a news item about people falling off (not including crash incidents).

I remember hearing / reading a couple of stories involving injuries / death involving people tumbling from the back of bb's, all to do with farangs - and alchol was a factor. Not rying to contradict jingthing jus posting as a matter of interest!! :rolleyes:

agree with op's point though

I fell off the back off a baht bus once, needed 6 stitches to the back of my head,

My fault though, very drunk after playing rugby.....

Having learned to ride a motorcycle in Pattaya and survived these last 10 years unscathed (says he reaching for a large piece of wood)

LOL. You're game to come out and say that. I was going to say something along the same lines however I'm not sure if a large piece of wood is insurance enough.

Well said Mr Connors, my feelings exactly, most of the things that try to kill you come from behind! Keep up with or slightly ahead of the traffic with your eyes wide open and there are very few problems.

This advice would mean that you have to ride faster. With more speed comes more risk. IMO a more defensive and safe practice would be to pull over and let the speed demons pass. That's mostly what I do.

This advice would mean that you have to ride faster. With more speed comes more risk. IMO a more defensive and safe practice would be to pull over and let the speed demons pass. That's mostly what I do.

Although more speed increases the risk of serious injury in the event of an accident, the point I am making is that by riding just a little faster, and I'm not talking lunatic speeds, you stay ahead of most of the trouble. It is the bikes moving slowly that are in more danger as Mr baht bus then finds it necessary to race past before pulling in just in front to honk pointlessly as he tries to entice a couple of farangs waiting to cross the road into his wagon! When moving a little more quickly the baht bus stays behind and you don't get cut up.

I atually live on motorcycle taxis. Use them just about every day for at least the last 12 years. From my place of resdience: Jomtien, Darkside, Central, Pratamnuk to work, bars or whatever. Always use one when coming

home late at night/early morning - in all this time I have had one minor accident - the rider was not going fast just sand on a bend which he slid in - no damage done apart from a muffler burn to my leg.

Ride Baht buses too and the only time ever had a problem was that the driver was drunk and so drunk I managed to get him to stop outside the Tourist Police (when they were on 2nd Road) - I was actually in the front seat because it was raining and went and told a policeman who came out and took him away.