Phuket These Days

Silent Tiger

Some seem to be trying to make soime kind of point here- I just don't see it tho- maybe since when I go to Phuket or Pattters I'm looking for different aspects and generally find it in spades- golf, sailing, seclusion or party time, great food and on and on. Both have alot to offer beyond soi 7 and bangla- IF you see my point...

Having said that, there's always some whom use the price and availablility of rent-a-boinkers as the primary yard stick for their assessment of a place... To yous, wherever you go, well, probably there you are once again... (whinging your way thru Cambodia, the Phils, Vietnam, etc, etc, Zzzzzz) :o Maybe try to get out and actually see the place next time? (a moot point likely...) :D

:D

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some seem to be trying to make soime kind of point here- I just don't see it tho- maybe since when I go to Phuket or Pattters I'm looking for different aspects and generally find it in spades- golf, sailing, seclusion or party time, great food and on and on. Both have alot to offer beyond soi 7 and bangla- IF you see my point...

Having said that, there's always some whom use the price and availablility of rent-a-boinkers as the primary yard stick for their assessment of a place... To yous, wherever you go, well, probably there you are once again... (whinging your way thru Cambodia, the Phils, Vietnam, etc, etc, Zzzzzz) :o  Maybe try to get out and actually see the place next time? (a moot point likely...) :D

Well said, b&s!

I get myself and my family down to Patong every time we're over, and we always have a ball - but then, with my 12 yr-old son with us, we're not likely to be hunting down bargirls etc. True, I wouldn't really want to live in the middle of Patong (I like a really quiet home life), but I think its great for what it is.

Patong is just one part of a fabulous island.

Hi Everyone:

As someone who has visited both Phuket and Pattaya in last couple of weeks I tend to agree with the original poster.

A walk down Patong (Beach Road - shops side) is not pleasant. On my right I get a constant earfull of "want a taxi" from the Thai tuk tuks (non stop from one end of the road to other). On my left I get an earfull of "buy a suit...good suit sir" from the Nepalese tailor crew. I could not wait to leave the area.

Although Patong is nicer, you don't get the constast harrassment in Pattaya.

Another thing that bothered me was the new so-called OTOP market. I went in there looking for actual OTOP products and found nothing but 100 Nepalese filled shops selling the same crappy t-shirts and trinkets. Not one OTOP product to be found.

However, some people love Patpong but that's why I stay in Kata.

I like Pattaya too. I own property in both places and commute on the little turbo props.

Pattaya has the best quality gogo's I've seen anywhere. There are three especially well run places on that soi Pattayaland where the penthouse hotel is and the new orleans restaurant. The guy who runs the restaurant also runs three or four gogo's on that soi which really are exceptionally and fantastically staffed with exceptional women. Those gogo's alone are worth the visit to Pattaya.

Patong has it's attractions. The massage shops are a lot of fun in Patong. That's where you find the quality women. But the tailors, tuk tuk drivers, bangla rd bar girls, and mafia touts are not part of it.

Pattaya has it's drawbacks too.

I like both. And I like Bangkok too. But maybe that's because I ain't no whining hippy! :D:o

I warned a group of 6 persons i know who are now in Thailand not to go down there just got a Email now from them after being there 3 days saying what a S**T HOLE !!! & a rip off compared to other places in Thailand too much luvly jubbly diamond geezer also

These guys are going to Samui then to Pattaya then Bkk !!!

i make no wonder tourism is dying there they will need all the luck they can get

Phuket may be expensive for Thailand, but I cant see how a tourist visiting could call it a rip-off.

The most expensive meal in the most exclusive restaurants in Phuket wouldn't cost more than 800 baht or so per head - Thats the price of as burger and chips at TGI Fridays in the UK.

Pattaya is cheaper, but that tends to attract people who are cheaper. I didn't care for the place (Pattaya) at all, alhough it is considerably cheaper thna Phuket.

I warned a group of 6 persons i know who are now in Thailand not to go down there just got a Email now from them after being there 3 days saying what a S**T HOLE !!! & a rip off compared to other places in Thailand too much luvly jubbly diamond geezer also

These guys are going to Samui then to Pattaya then Bkk !!!

i make no wonder tourism is dying there they will need all the luck they can get

bookings for the high season this year are nearly 100%. A buddies biz turned one of his best days yesterday.

Yes sir Mr whining Tiger you seem extraordinarily well informed! :o

It's seeming like you have an agenda to spam this forum with your negativity.

Try Tesco Lotus they have a nice selection of cheeses to go with your whine! :D:D

Edited by kasi

This is a forum for putting your point of view forward !!!

Yes kashi i may be dragging it out but when you think about taxi drivers charging 900% higher fares in July while a Tsunami warning after what everybody did for them after the disaster i think its a bit sh*tty !!!

& i think the high drop in tourism is NOT due to the boxing day event its due to the blood suckers who frequent the Patong area !!!

And as for well informed ohhhhhhhhh yessssssss & i will keep posting if thats ok or do you want me to post just about sunshine & lollipops :o

I have not interests in Thailand just a traveller so what i ever i put on here is NOT linning my pockets as is the case of others

& i think the high drop in tourism is NOT due to the boxing day event its due to the blood suckers who frequent the Patong area !!!

[irony]Quite right, a natural disaster that killed thousands, destroyed property and livelihoods on a massive scale and affected hundreds of thousands more, has nothing to do with the drop in tourism. Nope.

It's the bloody tuk tuks :o [/irony]

sigh

This is a forum for putting your point of view forward !!!

Yes kashi i may be dragging it out but when you think about taxi drivers charging 900% higher fares in July while a Tsunami warning after what everybody did for them after the disaster i think its a bit sh*tty !!!

And as for well informed ohhhhhhhhh yessssssss & i will keep posting if thats ok or do you want me to post just about sunshine & lollipops :o

I have not interests in Thailand just a traveller so what i ever i put on here is NOT linning my pockets as is the case of others

The taxi story is unsubstantiated. Tourist areas throughout the world harbor those who try to rip off tourists. Just keep focussed. An anti Thai thread will not happen

Oh so u think so do you :D

Its pointless shouting at a buffalo but why would i make such claims for no reason i will stand my my guns the place aint nice :D

But i can understand the guys on here getting annoyed with my comments as they have businesses out there but me & my people did not like it at all & heard same reports from others :D:o

Most of the guys don't have business' here, we hate it and love it the same as anyone else, but if you're going to come on here and say it's rubbish because of wild rumours, not many of us are going to let that pass without some form of rebuttal, a lot of us do or did actually live here.

Yes some tuk tuk drivers are bastars, yes the 'do you want a suit' brigade can get on your bloody nerves on beach road, but Patong has been like that for years, it's a wonderful counter balance to the rest of the island.

Most of the guys don't have business' here, we hate it and love it the same as anyone else, but if you're going to come on here and say it's rubbish because of wild rumours, not many of us are going to let that pass without some form of rebuttal, a lot of us do or did actually live here. 

Yes some tuk tuk drivers are bastars, yes the 'do you want a suit' brigade can get on your bloody nerves on beach road, but Patong has been like that for years, it's a wonderful counter balance to the rest of the island.

They were all there before the tsunami and they're still there trying to eek out a living. I don't see any reason to begrudge anyone his living!

The way to deal with the tuktuk guys is smile and say "no thank you". The tailors are the same. Except the rare occasion one of them dares to grab my arm! In which case I look them straight in the eye and from about 4 inches from their face inform them very slowly and deliberately it would be a very good idea to remove his hand from me immediately. That doesn't happen very often anymore! :o

Whining Tiger: I just heard of a dandy place just for you

I'm sure the place is just full of people just like you!

Just come back from Patong & cannot believe the influx of Indians & other none Thai nationals from when i was there 5 weeks before the tsunami !!!

What a terrible place & prices have doubled ?

Please make sure your hotel is girl friendly & owned by Thais or your in for a terrible shock !!!

will never go again awful !!! :o

Silent Tiger, you should stay silent when you don't know what you are talking about, I have been in Patong for nearly 2 month now, and have been coming here the last 12 years, nothing changed the way you say. :D

Is this the same Phuket I visited last week ?  NOT AT ALL

You are right on dr, I have been here in Patong for 2 month and I don't see any difference from previous visits over the last 12 years.

A Tuk Tuk home 100 bath same as the last few years, the food price is the same.

About Girl friendly hotels, I have been staying at the Phuket Palace Resort, a 3 star hotel with a 5 star pool, 700 bath per night for 2 incl. breakfast and that includes your girl, where can you find it better ?

I think mr. Silent Tiger has a business at a different location :o

Yes i have in England  :D

Used to like the place really did best holiday ever in Thailand 97 stayed @ Patong Merlin  :o

If you cannot see changes i guess you buy some new glasses or buy a new guide dog old boy  :D

I much prefer Pattaya & Bkk

Then you go to Pattaya and Bangkok, that will save us from seeing you here, and I don't need new glasses, perhaps you need to change your attitude.

You sound very much like a " cheap Charlie " and we don't need your kind here.

When i came to Patong in July i came with a group of 6 people as we felt for the local people from what happened on Dec 26th !!!

We came to spend money & help local bars & hotels etc etc etc !!!

We put ourselfs out to help, Also i had other friends there when there was a Tsuami warning late July the local taxi boys ripped them off trying to charge them 4000s baht for a 150-200 baht drive to the hills ?

No we are NOT cheap Charlies & spend vast amounts of money but we also are NOT mugs to Thai Parasites who think as yourself ever farang as to hand there wallet over too you :D "Sonthaya"

If you go to Patpong in Bkk well Patong will be same very few people as they are sick & tired of saving for a nice holiday to be ripped off !!!

The people who were there in july when the warning happened had 2 small children & were panicing & yes i am NOT happy about it & hope the taxi boys sufer in the future with no fares, I think anybody to rip a scared family off deserve all they get in the future !!! :D:o

so what advice would you give a family with 2 small children when Tsunami warning happened @ 1am ?

its not nice & not nice for the hard working thais trying to get on there feet down there !!!

& i want be going again but instead of being quiet i want the world to know i have a large No of PM all thanking for the warning :o