Phuket These Days

Silent Tiger

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering about the tights??

Do you wear them whilst online or are they for static electricity??

Both. I have to live with an inverse catch 22. The static charge produced from pedalling in the tights powers the internet and the aircon, the less static I produce, the warmer it gets and the warmer it gets the sweatier my thighs get, making it warmer still.

The only side effect for my internet use is an eratic font size but I do suffer from incredible chaffing

:D

:o:D

I warned a group of 6 persons i know who are now in Thailand not to go down there just got a Email now from them after being there 3 days saying what a S**T HOLE !!! & a rip off compared to other places in Thailand too much luvly jubbly diamond geezer also

These guys are going to Samui then to Pattaya then Bkk !!!

i make no wonder tourism is dying there they will need all the luck they can get

That just goes to show that your friends are as stupid as you :o

so what advice would you give a family with 2 small children when Tsunami warning happened @ 1am ?

its not nice & not nice for the hard working thais trying to get on there feet down there !!!

& i want be going again but instead of being quiet i want the world to know i have a large No of PM all thanking for the warning  :D

Bloody Troll. :o

Right, then - my tuppenceworth coming right up.

Have just spent two weeks back in Phuket, and visited Patong several times during that period. Golden beach, pleasant stallholders (a smile and a 'mai ao krup' actually go a long way, and I get no problems), the Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday 3.30pm seafront football matches where the Thai and ex-pat players welcomed my 12 yr-old son and let him play with the adults. What a terrible place!

I then spent 4 days in Bangkok watching the rugby 7s, and got far more attention from stallholders, tuk tuk drivers, bar girls - but none of it was a real problem, because I took it in the spirit it was given. They have a living to earn, I choose not to buy, I decline politely and smilingly and there are no problems.

If you don't like Patong, fine. Don't go there. However, before you start sounding off about it, have a think - why is it that so many of us have no problem? Perhaps you may wish to ask yourself a couple of questions regarding your own attitude. Or perhaps not.

And if any of the football guys read this - thanks very much for being so accepting. Playing with you all meant a lot to my son, and he wants to do it again when we come back in 6 weeks.

Right, then - my tuppenceworth coming right up.

Have just spent two weeks back in Phuket, and visited Patong several times during that period. Golden beach, pleasant stallholders (a smile and a 'mai ao krup' actually go a long way, and I get no problems), the Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday 3.30pm seafront football matches where the Thai and ex-pat players welcomed my 12 yr-old son and let him play with the adults. What a terrible place!

And if any of the football guys read this - thanks very much for being so accepting. Playing with you all meant a lot to my son, and he wants to do it again when we come back in 6 weeks.

He was a good player. Bring him back anytime.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a few years since I was in Patong.

I found it to be on an even par to Pattaya,entertainment wise.The beaches were better,but everthing was more expensive that Pattaya.

When I say expensive,5-10 baht more for a beer.Which didn`t really break the bank.

I have not been back since the Tsunami,but a lot of my friends have.

I have been told by most of them that they would not return to Phuket for a long time.

Given that one lad would go to Patong 3 times a year,sounds like something is not well there.

But each to there own I suppose.

I`m off to Pattaya on 18th Dec then off to Chaing Mai.

Can`t wait... :o

So much has been said and re-said on this thread already, it is almost not worth continuing, but I’ll also throw in two cents:

In my view most anyone who lives here, comes here often, or is connected to people in the know, can find out the right places to go and things to do and completely love this island, even Patong.

I think tourists who come for the first time, occasionally, or the people who haven't been around for long, just see the surface and don't enjoy all Phuket (and Patong) has to offer. What would most benefit people, I think, is a little information like you would get in a guide book, but that is specific to the topics touched on in this thread: where are the best bars/clubs in Patong or elsewhere? How do you deal with the annoying tailors? What should you beware of? What is a reasonable price for x, y, and z? What else is there on Phuket other than the bright lights of Patong and what's listed on the tourist maps?

There's probably several threads about that stuff anyways (I should explore). As a newcomer who knows very few people who have been around, I'd appreciate information like that and it sounds like some of the people who hate Patong/Phuket could use it too.

When i came to Patong in July i came with a group of 6 people as we felt for the local people from what happened on Dec 26th !!!

We came to spend money & help local bars & hotels etc etc etc !!!

We put ourselfs out to help, Also i had other friends there when there was a Tsuami warning late July the local taxi boys ripped them off trying to charge them 4000s baht for a 150-200 baht drive to the hills ?

No we are NOT cheap Charlies & spend vast amounts of money but we also are NOT mugs to Thai Parasites who think as yourself ever farang as to hand there wallet over too you  :D "Sonthaya"

If you go to Patpong in Bkk well Patong will be same very few people as they are sick & tired of saving for a nice holiday to be ripped off !!!

The people who were there in july when the warning happened had 2 small children & were panicing & yes i am NOT happy about it & hope the taxi boys  sufer in the future with no fares, I think anybody to rip a scared family off deserve all they get in the future !!! :D  :o

Mr. Tiger I don't want your wallet ot anything else you have, and let me tell you that despite my Avatar og Name is as much farang as you.

Just been keeping updated with my fav place in Thailand  :D  :o & see its still a s**t hole with higher crime rates, floods,dodgy jet skies  etc etc etc !!!

sonthaya the feeling is mutual  :D

would not go back if the flight was FREE  :D  :D

Maybe you should open up the pages of the Pattaya Mail?

Just been keeping updated with my fav place in Thailand  :D  :o & see its still a s**t hole with higher crime rates, floods,dodgy jet skies  etc etc etc !!!

Sure sure Phuket really sucks at the moment. Lots of brutal, senseless, bloody crimes, floods to punish those who sinned and now it's raining too much, sun too hot, clouds too fluffy, sand too white, sea too salty, jet skis too dodgy, evil locals in Patong and generally unfriendly locals everywhere else. There are lots and lots of bad things here, like the thousand-year-old dead fish and purple psychedelic crab called Timothy they put in their salads and those horrible flied lice (you want kai dao mai?), and the crappy internet connection I get at work - this place is evil - this place is so evil. :D

No free flight back to Phuket? Well then good riddance. Hope this is the last we hear of you...

OK, so who's going for the blues festival in the Hilton next month? :D

OK, so who's going for the blues festival in the Hilton next month? :o

Agreed, LIR. Terrible place. Awful. Almost wish I hadn't built a house, bought land, building another house, making friends.........

However, I'm gutted about the blues - I get in on 18th, just in time to miss it.

Sure sure Phuket really sucks at the moment. Lots of brutal, senseless, bloody crimes, floods to punish those who sinned and now it's raining too much, sun too hot, clouds too fluffy, sand too white, sea too salty, jet skis too dodgy, evil locals in Patong and generally unfriendly locals everywhere else. There are lots and lots of bad things here, like the thousand-year-old dead fish and purple psychedelic crab called Timothy they put in their salads and those horrible flied lice (you want kai dao mai?), and the crappy internet connection I get at work - this place is evil - this place is so evil. :D

No free flight back to Phuket? Well then good riddance. Hope this is the last we hear of you...

OK, so who's going for the blues festival in the Hilton next month? :D

superb! :D

OK, so who's going for the blues festival in the Hilton next month? :o

Agreed, LIR. Terrible place. Awful. Almost wish I hadn't built a house, bought land, building another house, making friends.........

However, I'm gutted about the blues - I get in on 18th, just in time to miss it.

You are so right, terrible place, that's why we love it :D

Uncle Patpong............. pleeeeeeeeasse help me!!? There's some people's here that are not too kindly with me and and and I'm just trying to be kind in life but..... my friends are all asleep and the nasty one's are circling in on me!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!

:o:D