Phuket These Days

Silent Tiger

Just come back from Patong & cannot believe the influx of Indians & other none Thai nationals from when i was there 5 weeks before the tsunami !!!

What a terrible place & prices have doubled ?

Please make sure your hotel is girl friendly & owned by Thais or your in for a terrible shock !!!

will never go again awful !!! :o

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting ,specificaly what has doubled?

I would have thought they would be trying to woo back the tourist.

Just come back from Patong & cannot believe the influx of Indians & other none Thai nationals from when i was there 5 weeks before the tsunami !!!

Please make sure your hotel is girl friendly & owned by Thais or your in for a terrible shock !!!

Phuket is NOT Patong. There is so much more to Phuket than the few trashy tourist strips where opportunists have gathered to part "good-timers" with their holiday budgets. You will find much better value, more realism and honesty in other parts of this beautiful island. :o

If you think that you are going to have a hassle free quiet time holidaying in Patong then forget it.

Patong has become a haven for annoying pests trying to sell you everything from an overpriced tuk tuk ride to an `Armani` suit.

Walking along Beach Road is so annoying that I for one and my wife will not be going back to Patong again.

The way Patong is developing reminds me of the intimidation you can experience in Indonesia with persistent touts who will not take no for an answer totally removing any pleasure there used to be in shopping.

Every few steps of the way along Beach Road you are propositioned by these Tuk Tuk drivers whose cramped brightly painted boxes on wheels are parked up in their dozens.

`Tuk Tuk Sir?` "No thank you". `Where you go?` "Me ow khrap" `Sorry Sir don`t you speak English?`....and so it goes on the whole length of Beach Road....one idiot after another pestering.

At the same time you have the stall holders grabbing your arm or feeling your shirt with the utterrings `Nice shirt sir. I can make one the same`...."No thank you." .....`Very cheap price.`..."No thank you."....`Why not sir? I am very good tailor.`..."Me ow khrap."

You don`t even get time to take a breath before a shady character of dubious origin flashes open his vest.....`Real diamonds sir...very cheap.`...."me ow khrap."

Pointing to a card containing these shiny white `Diamonds` he says....`Real diamond...special price for you.`

After being annoyed by these `diamond guys` I said to one " Real diamonds eh?....`Yes sir real diamonds`...."100 percent real...roi % ching ching?" I said. ......He replied, `90 percent sir.`

.....and so it goes on until you get to the stage where you just don`t even make any reply or even look at any of the stalls and don`t bother shopping.

I won`t even go on to mention the `Time Share` pests on motorcycles offering you `free` scratch cards....or the people wanting your hotel details so that they can call you at 7.00a.m. in the morning to tell you you have won a holiday, but you have to go to this special presentation to receive your prize......Give me a break!!

They are annoying so many tourists as viewed by my own eyes that many people will give Patong like ourselves a miss.

Unfortunately unless you know differently many people will get the impression that the whole of Phuket is the same....but as previously stated there are some beautiful places only a short journey away where the people treat you with respect and the prices are cheaper and you can eat your meal or buy your goods in a relaxed enjoyable fashion.

So unless you are a Bangla Road addict or a Soi Eric lover or you are desperate for a fake Rolex then I would suggest giving Patong a wide berth. :o

Patongs always been about shopping and nightlife, Hasn't changed in the 4 years or so I've been here.

No-one goes for a "hassle free quiet time holidaying in Patong" I mean why would you, what does Patong possibly offer the tourist looking for a quiet time?

Patongs always been about shopping and nightlife, Hasn't changed in the 4 years or so I've been here.

No-one goes for a "hassle free quiet time holidaying in Patong" I mean why would you, what does Patong possibly offer the tourist looking for a quiet time?

So what you're saying is, that if you want to party and shop but you don't want to be hassled then don't come to Patong ! :o:D:D

So what you're saying is, that if you want to party and shop but you don't want to be hassled then don't come to Patong ! :D:D:D

and someone from that noted conservative Pattaya place raised the issue as a problem :o

Pattaya and Patong.

The difference between walking down Beach Road in Pattaya and walking down Beach Road in Patong is like chalk and cheese.

Walking along Patong Beach Road and going into the `markets` is not a pleasant experience.

You can walk along Beach Road in Pattaya from North to South or visa versa in the daytime and not be hassled. Maybe you are propositioned to purchase on the odd occasion, but you don`t get the same constant annoying persistent hassle as in Patong.

Patters for me every time. :o

Is this the same Phuket I visited last week ?  NOT AT ALL

Same here, doc.

I don't find the Patng markets unpleasant at all. People do ask if I want to buy, but guess what - it's a market and people buy and sell things in markets. I see no difference in principle between Patong and Pat Pong, Boston, Havana, markets in London... wherever.

And as for the island being a lousy place - well, I'm back next week, so I hope not.

So not very "girl friendly" eh ?

Im sure Phuket wont be too concerned about one less sex pest ! :D

Pattaya Fox

Spot on mate !!! I used to like Phuket & Patong area but now doubt i would ever go again it was TERRIBLE :D

If i wanted to get hassle like that i would go back to India it was a real pain in the arse & if i was a virgin traveller i would have been ripped off bad by these Charlatans :o

Again cannot see me ever going again & that was the feeling off the other 5 persons who travelled with me "Luvly jubbly innit mate diamond geezer " :D

ptkid

I see your from Patong :o

Sex pest ROFL well i didnt go for surfing more diving :D

Its HORRIBLE its more like New Delhi ptkid you got a bar or hotel there mate i suppose ?

also been told about when there was a Tsunami warning in July taxi drivers were asking 4000 baht to go into the hills 40 baht ride ohh yess lovely place :D

Patong has always been the clammy armpit of Phuket, not sure what the fuss is about. Armpits can arouse or repulse, depending on your disposition.

Timeshare, tailors, Von dutch T-shirt makers, trainers more expensive than originals, last-a-minute Nike flip flops, *chang* vests that every third person wears, ping pong shows, eel shows, joiner fees, urine fees, "Sexy man, where you go?" Queer folk abound, pay your money, take your choice.

The amount of honeymooners who start their lives together with two weeks in Patong are always equal in proportion to the amount of men who arrive after marrige has ended back home, "Hey lets buy a bar....."

Love it or loathe it Patong has always been Patong.

I did smile at the Pattaya post. Surely you meant chalk and white soft earthy limestone substance used for burning into lime and for writing and drawing, than chalk and cheese?

Patong has always been the clammy armpit of Phuket, not sure what the fuss is about. Armpits can arouse or repulse, depending on your disposition.

Timeshare, tailors, Von dutch T-shirt makers, trainers more expensive than originals, last-a-minute Nike flip flops, *chang* vests that every third person wears, ping pong shows, eel shows, joiner fees, urine fees, "Sexy man, where you go?" Queer folk abound, pay your money, take your choice.

The amount of honeymooners who start their lives together with two weeks in Patong are always equal in proportion to the amount of men who arrive after marrige has ended back home, "Hey lets buy a bar....."

Love it or loathe it Patong has always been Patong.

I did smile at the Pattaya post. Surely you meant chalk and white soft earthy limestone substance used for burning into lime and for writing and drawing, than chalk and cheese?

Nice to seeya FTH :D I think that the Pattaya lads are in denial. Same same ... but different :o

Good to be back Doc, After collecting some tin cans, a pair of tights, a coathanger, a roll of foil, a blow up doll, a bicycle pump and 3000 kilometers of string I've managed to get myself back online fulltime. I've been reading TV like a bastard for the last 2 days trying to catch up.

7 months without an internet connection, thats a lot of reading.

Just wondering about the tights??

Do you wear them whilst online or are they for static electricity??

Good to be back Doc, After collecting some tin cans, a pair of tights, a coathanger, a roll of foil, a blow up doll, a bicycle pump and 3000 kilometers of string I've managed to get myself back online fulltime. I've been reading TV like a bastard for the last 2 days trying to catch up.

Both. I have to live with an inverse catch 22. The static charge produced from pedalling in the tights powers the internet and the aircon, the less static I produce, the warmer it gets and the warmer it gets the sweatier my thighs get, making it warmer still.

The only side effect for my internet use is an eratic font size but I do suffer from incredible chaffing

:o

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well lets see how the erstwhile TV ERS can help solve this chafing problem

Both. I have to live with an inverse catch 22. The static charge produced from pedalling in the tights powers the internet and the aircon, the less static I produce, the warmer it gets and the warmer it gets the sweatier my thighs get, making it warmer still.

The only side effect for my internet use is an eratic font size but I do suffer from incredible chaffing

....Maybe the DOLL has altered your settings :D:D

Did you forget to pay your internet bill FTN?

Nice to meet you and............. weeeeeeeeeeeeelcome back!!!!!! :o

Welcome back FTH! Missed ya!

Your input here has been missed too. Welcome back old friend :o

Now I agree Patong is a terrible place but I went there last week and had a great time. I went to Tiger Club and it was pumping. Everyone had fun, countless not unattractive women danced with me and everyone had a jolly time.

Normally I hate the place but this time was different, mainly because I had good company. I still avoid Banana like the plague but hear Safari is quite good. I didn't leave Bangla till 3.30am and everything seemed very open, which is a good sign for partygoers and business alike.

so what is the general census regarding the original posters statement... i take it we are talking about patong!

there seem to be some very mixed opinions....

I stayed in patong for about a month over xmas a few years back then again last september, it had definately changed in that time - didnt feel as friendly

- maybe coz the xmas season was still a couple of months off. Has it changed drastically since the tsunami - not talking about infrastructure or other rebuilds of bars, shops etc... talking in general.

The annoying tailors, tuktuk drivers, street merchants, bargirls, and "all" were there before and big surprise they're still there all trying to eek out a living.

If you don't like it Mr Silent Tiger perhaps the Kao San road scene or Cambodia would be more to your liking. (you aren't a farking whining hippy are you?)

Don't come back to Patong. We don't want your here anyway! No whiners are allowed.

Actually post tsunami Patong is nicer than before. The girls are prettier and cheaper than Pattaya.

The beach is cleaner than Pattaya.

The air is cleaner than Pattaya.

The food is better and cheaper.

If you want quiet just drop into one of the many reasonably priced spa's and relax.

Edited by kasi